All Things Tubby Smith Thread UPDATED 5/27: Vince Taylor joins Tubby at TTech

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're interested in purchasing Tubby's $1.5 million dollar town home (and I sure do wish this was in my budget) - it's on the market -->

Seller: Orlando ‘Tubby’ & Donna Smith
Price: $1,500,000
Size: 4,275 sq ft, 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms

Pics and article are here on TC Starlight: http://tcstarlight.com/2013/05/28/g...oach-selling-minneapolis-townhouse-exclusive/

Big stinking townhome. They must have had a lot of guests with three bedrooms and bathrooms.

Must not be any good assistant jobs available, or there's no interest from any decent schools. Have to believe joining Tubby in Lubbock is a kind of a fall-back option for Taylor.

It is rare but I think you are wrong here. Tubby has 2 good assitants now. They both are good recruiters from different parts of the country. Also, VT is a good big-player coach and Williams is good to coach PGs.

Go Gophers

It is rare but I think you are wrong here. Tubby has 2 good assitants now. They both are good recruiters from different parts of the country. Also, VT is a good big-player coach and Williams is good to coach PGs.

Go Gophers

I think you completely misunderstood his point. He is saying that they ARE good assistants, and that bring an assistant in Lubbock is less of a position than they deserve.

I think you completely misunderstood his point. He is saying that they ARE good assistants, and that bring an assistant in Lubbock is less of a position than they deserve.

I might have but what I meant was that with VT and PW, some good things will happen in Lubbock that would give a chance to both of those guys to land good jobs. It is all speculation at this point but I have a feeling they will be fine.

Go Gophers

per Shama:

Joel Maturi has spoken to new Texas Tech basketball coach Tubby Smith. “He feels good about another opportunity,” the former Gopher athletic director told Sports Headliners.

How does Smith feel about his six seasons at Minnesota and being let go in March? “He has nothing but good things to say about Minnesota,” Maturi said.

Although Smith was a national championship coach at Kentucky, he struggled at Minnesota winning just one NCAA Tournament game and had a losing record in the Big Ten. Maturi, who hired Smith, declined to talk about why he believes the coach wasn’t more successful here. “I have my own feelings but I don’t want them in print,” Maturi said.

Smith will have a more difficult time winning at Tech than he did at Minnesota. The Red Raiders were 11-20 overall, 3-15 in the Big 12 Conference last season, and counting Bobby Knight employed five head coaches since 2007.

Smith has been a head coach at Tulsa, Georgia, Kentucky, Minnesota and now Texas Tech. In a mid-May story by the Amarillo Globe-News he was asked how the Tech job compares to the others. “It’s tough. This is probably the toughest,” he said.

Smith has yet to complete his staff and recruiting seems to be off to a slow start. Former Gopher assistant Joe Esposito, who has connections in Texas, is on the Tech staff.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Shama is such a hating D-bag. He has no idea how recruiting is going for Tubby. Tubby has three recruits committed for 2013 in a very short period and his staff is also pretty much complete.

Shama is such a hating D-bag. He has no idea how recruiting is going for Tubby. Tubby has three recruits committed for 2013 in a very short period and his staff is also pretty much complete.
There was an article about the plethora of junior colleges within 230 miles of TT. Here's part of it.

Within a 230-mile radius of the city of Lubbock, there are no less that 10 men’s junior college basketball programs, and several of them are perennially among the nation’s best. That’s right. Lubbock is literally the epicenter of an area featuring South Plains College (Levelland), Frank Phillips College (Borger), Clarendon College (Clarendon), Western Texas College (Snyder), Howard College (Big Spring), Midland College (Midland), Odessa College (Odessa), Ranger College (Ranger), New Mexico Military Institute (Roswell) and New Mexico Junior College (Hobbs).
http://texastech.scout.com/2/1290007.html

He will also have a football player who is a very good basketball player after December. Again, Tubby seems like a new coach. He will have 4 PGS in his roster next season. They will all be trained by PW who is a very good assistant. I am not sure why Tubby didn't bring PW to MN. Live and learn. Big12 will be the best conference next season. It will be interesting to see what TT can do. Most people pick them to finish last just like they say about Gophers in B1G. I hope both teams prove everybody wrong.

Go Gophers

I hope both teams prove everybody wrong.

People are crazy, but there aren't so many crazies out there that Minnesota will be a consensus pick for the doormat of the Big Ten. In fact, they will probably be looked at as a team with a decent chance of earning a tourney bid in 2013-14.

Texas Tech on the other hand? Ooofta. Not just this year either.

He will also have a football player who is a very good basketball player after December. Again, Tubby seems like a new coach. He will have 4 PGS in his roster next season. They will all be trained by PW who is a very good assistant. I am not sure why Tubby didn't bring PW to MN. Live and learn. Big12 will be the best conference next season. It will be interesting to see what TT can do. Most people pick them to finish last just like they say about Gophers in B1G. I hope both teams prove everybody wrong.

Go Gophers

I can't wait until Tubby proves all the Gopherhole coaching experts wrong. Although, none of our thread experts will give him any credit when that happens.

It will be interesting to see what TT can do. Most people pick them to finish last just like they say about Gophers in B1G.

Who's picking the Gophers last? I don't think I've seen anyone do that here or anywhere. To finish last in the Big Ten, the Gophers would have to finish behind Penn State, Northwestern, Purdue, and Nebraska. The Gophers could certainly finish behind one or two of those, but to finish behind all four and be in last place would be a major disappointment. This Gopher team will looked upon as a middle of the pack Big Ten team, not a last place Big Ten team.

Yes, that is correct. I always had a positive impression of Taylor. I thought he'd be able to find a better assistant's job than one requiring him to join Tubby in Lubbock, Texas.

Jirsa and Saul? Not so much.

I can't wait until Tubby proves all the Gopherhole coaching experts wrong. Although, none of our thread experts will give him any credit when that happens.

I can't wait until the GOPHER season starts.

What will it take for Tubby to prove them wrong?

Who's picking the Gophers last? I don't think I've seen anyone do that here or anywhere. To finish last in the Big Ten, the Gophers would have to finish behind Penn State, Northwestern, Purdue, and Nebraska. The Gophers could certainly finish behind one or two of those, but to finish behind all four and be in last place would be a major disappointment. This Gopher team will looked upon as a middle of the pack Big Ten team, not a last place Big Ten team.

This is the only one I've seen.

http://btn.com/2013/04/09/power-rankings-super-early-first-look-at-2013-14/

Sparky, I will wager that Dick Pit makes the tournament (with the Gophers!) before Tubby does. What shall we wager? A pair o' choppers?

Yes, that is correct. I always had a positive impression of Taylor. I thought he'd be able to find a better assistant's job than one requiring him to join Tubby in Lubbock, Texas.

Jirsa and Saul? Not so much.

Very true SS. I am not a big fan of Jirsa and Saul either. However, It is time for Tubby and Taylor to regain their reputation and they will.

Go Gophers

A couple 6-12 records in the conference. Throw in an 8-10 or 9-9 season here and there and Parksi will be asking us to eat our words...

+1. BINGO. Still haven't figured out what Parski is if he isn't associated with the Smith family or one of the former assistants

Very true SS. I am not a big fan of Jirsa and Saul either. However, It is time for Tubby and Taylor to regain their reputation and they will.

Go Gophers

I feel bad for Taylor. Tough way to earn a paycheck for a former rising star given how Tubby treats his assistants.

I feel bad for Taylor. Tough way to earn a paycheck for a former rising star given how Tubby treats his assistants.

And you have insider information? Odd that two of Tubby's assistants would follow him if they were feeling so mistreated.

Social Sciences Research Network: Promises to Keep? Coaches Tubby Smith, Jimmy Williams and Lessons Learned in 2012

Abstract:
The primary purpose of this article is to explore the 2012 legal decision that stemmed from an employment-related fiasco in 2007 when Coach Orlando Henry "Tubby" Smith first formed his staff at UM and asked coach Jimmy Williams from Oklahoma State University to join him as an assistant coach. Smith’s offer, however, proved not to be a legally binding offer, at least according to the Minnesota Supreme Court, because Smith apparently did not have the authority to make the offer in the first place. In fact, Jimmy Williams was declared by the Minnesota Supreme Court majority to have been sophisticated enough to know that such offers of employment need bureaucratic approval before being relied upon at this level of college sports. After reading this decision, one must ponder the implications of this sophisticated parties test in employment offers at least as posed now in Minnesota. A study of this decision, Williams v. Smith, provides an excellent example for instructors (and students) particularly in the context of contract law, tort law and employment law. After Smith was fired in 2013, the University of Minnesota hired thirty-year-old coach Richard Pitino, son of 2013 national champion University of Louisville basketball coach Rick Pitino, and included a clause in his contract that specifically who has the "hiring authority" which appears to attempt to avoid this situation again.

Number of Pages in PDF File: 18

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2262235

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

Smith to Hire another Ex-U Assistant
June 12, 2013

Although it hasn’t been announced, Tubby Smith told Sports Headliners yesterday Vince Taylor will join his staff at Texas Tech.

Taylor worked for Smith as an assistant coach at Minnesota until earlier this year. Already on the staff are Joe Esposito, who was Smith’s director of operations with the Gophers, and Alvin “Pooh” Williamson, the first player Smith recruited when he was head coach at Tulsa. Smith is still searching for a director of basketball operations at Tech.

Smith’s son Saul, another assistant with the Gophers, won’t be joining the staff in Lubbock. Smith said his son has always been interested in NBA coaching and could join a pro organization. “Saul has a great mind and feel for the game,” his father said.

Smith was the Gophers’ coach for six seasons before new athletic director Norwood Teague dismissed him last March. Smith, who will be 62 on June 30, was surprised by his termination and thought the Gophers job would be his last.

Throughout his tenure at Minnesota there were rumors other schools wanted to hire Smith who built a national reputation at Kentucky by winning the 1998 NCAA championship and routinely had his teams advance to the NCAA tournament second round or better. Smith confirmed yesterday there were a “bunch of times” he was pursued by other programs while at Minnesota.

If Smith had known one day the Gophers planned to part ways with him he would have reacted differently to the contacts from other schools. “I would have been long gone,” he said.

Smith said he left the Minnesota program and community better than he found it including through his work with the Minnesota Chapter of the Tubby Smith Foundation that supports charities benefitting underprivileged children. Highlights of Smith’s basketball success at Minnesota included three NCAA tournament appearances and a nationally publicized upset win over No. 1 ranked Indiana at Williams Arena last February.

At Texas Tech Smith takes over a team that was 11-20 last season and 3-15 in Big-12 Conference games. The two previous seasons the Red Raiders were 8-23 and 1-17, and 13-19 and 5-11.

One worry Smith doesn’t have is his former home in Minneapolis. He and wife Donna sold the residence a couple of weeks ago.

Go Gophers!!

So it sounds like Tubby thought Minnesota was his retirement home, he never thought we'd fire him. Explains his dwindling recruiting and lazy approach in general.

per Shama:

Smith to Hire another Ex-U Assistant
June 12, 2013

Although it hasn’t been announced, Tubby Smith told Sports Headliners yesterday Vince Taylor will join his staff at Texas Tech.

Taylor worked for Smith as an assistant coach at Minnesota until earlier this year. Already on the staff are Joe Esposito, who was Smith’s director of operations with the Gophers, and Alvin “Pooh” Williamson, the first player Smith recruited when he was head coach at Tulsa. Smith is still searching for a director of basketball operations at Tech.

Smith’s son Saul, another assistant with the Gophers, won’t be joining the staff in Lubbock. Smith said his son has always been interested in NBA coaching and could join a pro organization. “Saul has a great mind and feel for the game,” his father said.

Smith was the Gophers’ coach for six seasons before new athletic director Norwood Teague dismissed him last March. Smith, who will be 62 on June 30, was surprised by his termination and thought the Gophers job would be his last.

Throughout his tenure at Minnesota there were rumors other schools wanted to hire Smith who built a national reputation at Kentucky by winning the 1998 NCAA championship and routinely had his teams advance to the NCAA tournament second round or better. Smith confirmed yesterday there were a “bunch of times” he was pursued by other programs while at Minnesota.

If Smith had known one day the Gophers planned to part ways with him he would have reacted differently to the contacts from other schools. “I would have been long gone,” he said.

Smith said he left the Minnesota program and community better than he found it including through his work with the Minnesota Chapter of the Tubby Smith Foundation that supports charities benefitting underprivileged children. Highlights of Smith’s basketball success at Minnesota included three NCAA tournament appearances and a nationally publicized upset win over No. 1 ranked Indiana at Williams Arena last February.

At Texas Tech Smith takes over a team that was 11-20 last season and 3-15 in Big-12 Conference games. The two previous seasons the Red Raiders were 8-23 and 1-17, and 13-19 and 5-11.

One worry Smith doesn’t have is his former home in Minneapolis. He and wife Donna sold the residence a couple of weeks ago.

Go Gophers!!

Sounds like he thought he was doing a pretty good job. I still like the guy but reading this makes me feel better about him being our "former" coach.

The 'U' may not be done paying Smith...

There are two components to the $225,000:

(1) $150,000 for an APR score of 981 in 2011-12; and
(2) $75,000 for a revised APR score of 959 in 2010-11.

Per the amended contract entered into between Minnesota and Smith last summer, an incentive of $150,000 would be earned for a single-year APR score of 970 or greater.

Prior to the 2012 amendment (effective July 2012), coach Smith was to earn $25,000 for an APR score between 930 and 939. In June 2012, the NCAA reported an APR score for 2010-11 of 939.

However, since that time the score has been adjusted to 959. The agreement in effect in June 2012 called for a $100,000 bonus payout for an APR score of 950 or greater. Therefore, Smith has a reasonable claim for an additional $75,000 bonus payment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom