All Things Tubby Smith Thread UPDATED 5/27: Vince Taylor joins Tubby at TTech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sounds like he thought he was doing a pretty good job. I still like the guy but reading this makes me feel better about him being our "former" coach.

I will always like the guy as well, but his quotes make me feel a little less bad about our administration releasing him. It's clear he was no more loyal to the school than the school ended up being to him. A purely business approach by both parties.

I will always like the guy as well, but his quotes make me feel a little less bad about our administration releasing him. It's clear he was no more loyal to the school than the school ended up being to him. A purely business approach by both parties.

How is that clear? He basically said, if I knew they were going to fire me, I would have left. But he didn't, and he stayed. How is that not being more loyal than the group that fired you?

How is that clear? He basically said, if I knew they were going to fire me, I would have left. But he didn't, and he stayed. How is that not being more loyal than the group that fired you?

Too funny, isn't it? I didn't know Bad Gophers was this bad.

Go Gophers

So it sounds like Tubby thought Minnesota was his retirement home, he never thought we'd fire him. Explains his dwindling recruiting and lazy approach in general.

Not the way I took it Pollyanna.

Tubby never seemed too interested in squelching the rumors he was leaving to go another job/school.

A power coach that wasn't that good of a coach. Seems it didn't take Mr Teague very long to figure that out.

Tubby never seemed too interested in squelching the rumors he was leaving to go another job/school.

A power coach that wasn't that good of a coach. Seems it didn't take Mr Teague very long to figure that out.

Nor to drastically increase the assistant coaches salaries, free up a gym right by the coaches office, and find a way to use a private jet for recruiting. Let's see how long the honeymoon lasts.

Nor to drastically increase the assistant coaches salaries, free up a gym right by the coaches office, and find a way to use a private jet for recruiting. Let's see how long the honeymoon lasts.

Those things seem like good ideas to me.

Nothing to see here. Anyone in any job would leave if they knew they were going to be fired. Tubby was a disappointment and I applaud the U for not accepting mediocrity. Tubby is a dinosaur who is not fit for the modern game...good riddance. Obviously, none of this guarantees Pitino will succeed but it's good to know that we expect more than Old Man Smith could produce.

Was not a good coach? Get a clue station16. Injuries...player defections (not due to Tubby)...players getting in trouble...there were many things that went into Tubby's demise. He was\is a old coach. Asinine comment.

Was not a good coach? Get a clue station16. Injuries...player defections (not due to Tubby)...players getting in trouble...there were many things that went into Tubby's demise. He was\is a old coach. Asinine comment.

Seriously, your agenda is getting really old. Tubby had nothing to do with the player defections? Okay; read some of the tweets from former players.... Go root for Tubby on the TT board

per Shama:

Smith to Hire another Ex-U Assistant
June 12, 2013

Although it hasn’t been announced, Tubby Smith told Sports Headliners yesterday Vince Taylor will join his staff at Texas Tech.

Taylor worked for Smith as an assistant coach at Minnesota until earlier this year. Already on the staff are Joe Esposito, who was Smith’s director of operations with the Gophers, and Alvin “Pooh” Williamson, the first player Smith recruited when he was head coach at Tulsa. Smith is still searching for a director of basketball operations at Tech.

Smith’s son Saul, another assistant with the Gophers, won’t be joining the staff in Lubbock. Smith said his son has always been interested in NBA coaching and could join a pro organization. “Saul has a great mind and feel for the game,” his father said.

Smith was the Gophers’ coach for six seasons before new athletic director Norwood Teague dismissed him last March. Smith, who will be 62 on June 30, was surprised by his termination and thought the Gophers job would be his last.

Throughout his tenure at Minnesota there were rumors other schools wanted to hire Smith who built a national reputation at Kentucky by winning the 1998 NCAA championship and routinely had his teams advance to the NCAA tournament second round or better. Smith confirmed yesterday there were a “bunch of times” he was pursued by other programs while at Minnesota.

If Smith had known one day the Gophers planned to part ways with him he would have reacted differently to the contacts from other schools. “I would have been long gone,” he said.

Smith said he left the Minnesota program and community better than he found it including through his work with the Minnesota Chapter of the Tubby Smith Foundation that supports charities benefitting underprivileged children. Highlights of Smith’s basketball success at Minnesota included three NCAA tournament appearances and a nationally publicized upset win over No. 1 ranked Indiana at Williams Arena last February.

At Texas Tech Smith takes over a team that was 11-20 last season and 3-15 in Big-12 Conference games. The two previous seasons the Red Raiders were 8-23 and 1-17, and 13-19 and 5-11.

One worry Smith doesn’t have is his former home in Minneapolis. He and wife Donna sold the residence a couple of weeks ago.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

He always tried to be long gone, so not clear on the nuance. Sounds very defensive......

The 'U' may not be done paying Smith...

There are two components to the $225,000:

(1) $150,000 for an APR score of 981 in 2011-12; and
(2) $75,000 for a revised APR score of 959 in 2010-11.

Per the amended contract entered into between Minnesota and Smith last summer, an incentive of $150,000 would be earned for a single-year APR score of 970 or greater.

Prior to the 2012 amendment (effective July 2012), coach Smith was to earn $25,000 for an APR score between 930 and 939. In June 2012, the NCAA reported an APR score for 2010-11 of 939.

However, since that time the score has been adjusted to 959. The agreement in effect in June 2012 called for a $100,000 bonus payout for an APR score of 950 or greater. Therefore, Smith has a reasonable claim for an additional $75,000 bonus payment.

It was always about the retirement annuity for Smith, so Parski is very happy to hear this

tumblr_lljpmcYv8z1qg94z8.gif

I don't get it. Are those supposed to be bad things?

I don't get it. Are those supposed to be bad things?

They are very good and necessary things. My question is, why wasn't the previous coach given the same? Why were those very basic and not particularly expensive things withheld from the previous coach? How long until Coach P. and staff face the same obstacles? How many coaches in the B1G get e-mails to see if intramurals can use the court during scheduled practice time?

We promised a HOF coach 6 years ago a practice facility. This time we are promising a Pitino, which is even worse. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm guessing Norwood and/or Pitino are gone before anyone even sets foot in the proposed practice facility.

They are very good and necessary things. My question is, why wasn't the previous coach given the same? Why were those very basic and not particularly expensive things withheld from the previous coach? How long until Coach P. and staff face the same obstacles? How many coaches in the B1G get e-mails to see if intramurals can use the court during scheduled practice time?

We promised a HOF coach 6 years ago a practice facility. This time we are promising a Pitino, which is even worse. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm guessing Norwood and/or Pitino are gone before anyone even sets foot in the proposed practice facility.

The practice gym is a good question.

The items costing money may have had something to do with said HOF coach (Hint: many feel boosters didn't like him)

Hint: Tubby salary much higher than Coach Pitino salary.

Maturi by most accounts promised Tubby a practice facility. Maturi is no longer AD. Was Coach Pitino promised a practice facility?

Hint: Tubby salary much higher than Coach Pitino salary.

Maturi by most accounts promised Tubby a practice facility. Maturi is no longer AD. Was Coach Pitino promised a practice facility?

I heard his father say he has all the confidence in the world a new facility will be built. Let's hope Coach P. and staff get the support they deserve and need.

Also, you're not saying a promise from Maturi is any different than a promise from Norwood are you? They don't have final say on who gets boathouses and who gets practice facilities.

I heard his father say he has all the confidence in the world a new facility will be built. Let's hope Coach P. and staff get the support they deserve and need.

Also, you're not saying a promise from Maturi is any different than a promise from Norwood are you? They don't have final say on who gets boathouses and who gets practice facilities.

I have much more confidence in Teague getting things done than Maturi. I realize that is not really saying much.

If you guys want people to stop sticking up for Tubby and making positive comments - stop talking about him! Given that this thread has 20 pages of replies for a coach who was fired months ago, good luck with that happening. I will never begin a conversation about Tubby, but I'm damn sure going to set the record straight when people are being unfair, making sh1t up, or just plain lying. I know I'm not alone. So if you want the conversation about Tubby to stop, then stop it.

If you guys want people to stop sticking up for Tubby and making positive comments - stop talking about him! Given that this thread has 20 pages of replies for a coach who was fired months ago, good luck with that happening. I will never begin a conversation about Tubby, but I'm damn sure going to set the record straight when people are being unfair, making sh1t up, or just plain lying. I know I'm not alone. So if you want the conversation about Tubby to stop, then stop it.

With all due respect DP, and it's not you doing this it is really only one person in particular, but I can think of countless threads of:

Gophers signed Daquan McNeil! Yay!

Reply:

This is what we fired Tubby for? This guy sucks. Tubby would have never done this. Tubby signed Ellis. Who is this crappy guy stupid Pitino signed!

So while I do agree with your premise, a lot of it is because people first bring up Tubby and then someone responds. Some, however, do start the Tubby conversation with no "baiting" what so ever.

So while I do agree with your premise, a lot of it is because people first bring up Tubby and then someone responds. Some, however, do start the Tubby conversation with no "baiting" what so ever.

Well-stated. Plus, I think I could have coached last year's team to above 9th place in the conference.

Finished 7th, 8th, or 9th. No sense in arguing semantics. Meaningless argument of babble. Either way, Tubby got fired and we are trying to move ahead with our new Coach Pitino and our NEW philosophy.

GO GOPHERS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom