All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

From everything I've heard of the young man, he's a great humble person. I hope he wears maroon and gold next year

If this kid is ranked #91 overall and the #9 RB, why doesn't he have offers from any of the big boys? The best schools (winning programs) that are interested are Michigan St and Dahmer U. What gives?

As far as Missouri goes, enjoy the one or two SEC victories every year.

PiPress: High school football: Washburn's Jeff Jones piling up TDs, college offers

Still, the 6-foot, 195-pound speedster said that doesn't mean Minnesota is out of contention.

"I just want to pick the right school," Jones said this week. "I want to let all the schools that are recruiting me know that I'm open. I haven't been everywhere I have offers from yet, so it's hard for me to (choose a school) if I haven't seen it with my own two eyes."

Jones said when he verbally committed seven months ago, the Gophers were the only program that kept in consistent contact with him. That changed after he gave them the soft commitment.

Jones now has offers from four other Big Ten schools and nine universities in all, with the most serious interest coming from Michigan State, Illinois, Iowa State and Missouri.

"I think Minnesota is No. 1 in his eyes and the other schools have to equal up to them," Washburn coach Giovan Jenkins said. "He's not a kid that is enamored by facilities and stuff. He understands that every school has stuff, so he is really big on relationships."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_24135572/high-school-football-washburns-jeff-jones-piling-up

Go Gophers!!

Word on the streets is he had no grades. Might be looking for a school that can push him through..

I don't get why he went from early commit and saying the right things like he wanted to be a part of turning around the hometown program to looking at other options.

Word on the streets is he had no grades. Might be looking for a school that can push him through..

Undoubtedly, if it is word on the streets then it is true. That is good enough for GopherHolers.

I don't get why he went from early commit and saying the right things like he wanted to be a part of turning around the hometown program to looking at other options.

Because if the post above is try and the coaches already know he likely won't qualify, then it would be in his best interest to keep his options open.

Because maybe, just maybe, the coaches already know he likely won't qualify. Therefore he better keep his options open.

Could be many different things. He did say after Saturday's game all he was thinking about is Coach Kill's health. Another factor could be he's uncertain who would be coaching him (although you never know what is going to happen at any school).

Well, it all seems fishy to me. We've got a committment from McKinzy (could end up at RB), Howell visited last weekend, we've got two more backs visiting for the Iowa game, and we're supposedly still actively recruiting D'Ernest Johnson. Of course it's not unimaginable to think we'd take two, or maybe even three backs this year (especially since we only took one last year), but it seems to me there is much more to this situation than has been made public.

Well, it all seems fishy to me. We've got a committment from McKinzy (could end up at RB), Howell visited last weekend, we've got two more backs visiting for the Iowa game, and we're supposedly still actively recruiting D'Ernest Johnson. Of course it's not unimaginable to think we'd take two, or maybe even three backs this year (especially since we only took one last year), but it seems to me there is much more to this situation than has been made public.

McKinzy is a QB. 100%. I think they take only one RB, and they're recruiting several (the responsible thing to do) in case Jones decommits or can't qualify academically. The only way I see them taking two is if both Jones and Johnson want to come here. Having two Top 200 4-star backs would be a great problem to have.

Could be many different things. He did say after Saturday's game all he was thinking about is Coach Kill's health. Another factor could be he's uncertain who would be coaching him (although you never know what is going to happen at any school).

He said that his prayers were going out to coach Kill and he hopes he gets well soon. You really are a spiteful tool, aren't you?

He said that his prayers were going out to coach Kill and he hopes he gets well soon. You really are a spiteful tool, aren't you?

Let me make sure I understand your rules.

1) Throwing out rumors that a kid's grades are bad and attributing his rumored poor academics to his desire to keep his recruitment open is fine.

2) Kid says he's worried about the coach's health after a game. "Good game, but really I'm just thinking about Coach Kill." Updates come a few days later that indeed his recruitment is open. Stating that he might be worried about Coach Kill's health as he considers his college choice is not appropriate. A proper response to that idea is name calling and whining.

Is that correct? What else am I missing?

2) Kid says he's worried about the coach's health after a game. "Good game, but really I'm just thinking about Coach Kill."

Changing what you just quoted from "He did say after Saturday's game all he was thinking about is Coach Kill's health." and then editorializing "Another factor could be he's uncertain who would be coaching him..." does indeed make you look like a spiteful tool.

Yes, those are my rules. At least I'm not whoring out my sig line linking to my own website.

Changing what you just quoted from "He did say after Saturday's game all he was thinking about is Coach Kill's health." and then editorializing "Another factor could be he's uncertain who would be coaching him..." does indeed make you look like a spiteful tool.

Yes, those are my rules. At least I'm not whoring out my sig line linking to my own website.

When you're mad at reality (that Kill's health issues may negatively influence recruiting with some recruits), it's no wonder you ignore the topic and instead resort to personal attacks. I understand.

GW, you really should stick to the BB site. You've done nothing but bash and question Coach Kill and what happened last Saturday. At least you can sometimes provide some insight on the BB board.

When you're mad at reality (that Kill's health issues may negatively influence recruiting with some recruits), it's no wonder you ignore the topic and instead resort to personal attacks. I understand.

Can you explain how you got from my post to yours? Honestly.

Nothing has changed with Jones. Marcus took some quotes out of context and wants to stir the pot. Jones is a soft commit and Minnesota is the leader. He's keeping things open and listening to schools, but they still need to prove why they're a better fit than the Gophers. We're still sitting in a good spot with him. Things could change if he picks up a bigger offer. From what I understand, his grades as a freshman were terrible but he has since gotten back on track and as long as he continues to put up decent grades he should be fine. I'm still confident we land Jones, and if we don't I'd wager it's because he doesn't qualify rather than him just flat out picking a different school.

McKinzy is a QB. 100%. I think they take only one RB, and they're recruiting several (the responsible thing to do) in case Jones decommits or can't qualify academically. The only way I see them taking two is if both Jones and Johnson want to come here. Having two Top 200 4-star backs would be a great problem to have.

right now, yes, but don't be surprised if that changes when he gets here.

right now, yes, but don't be surprised if that changes when he gets here.

I actually would be surprised if he switches positions. This coaching staff has said they want one QB recruit every class. They aren't after any other QB's for 2014. McKinzy is the type of dual-threat QB they seem to like.

I actually would be surprised if he switches positions. This coaching staff has said they want one QB recruit every class. They aren't after any other QB's for 2014. McKinzy is the type of dual-threat QB they seem to like.

Not to hijack the thread with DM posts, but I think their intention is to play him at QB for the very reasons you point out. But having seen his film from last year, and his early stats from this year (I think he's 14 of 33 so far?), he's going to have to show he can throw the ball.

Then again, this from a fan whose team has thrown it nearly half as often as the team with the 2nd least number of pass attempts in the conference. Maybe he wont have to throw the ball.

Studwell55? Is that you?

Someone has been promised to be thee RB prospect for the class of 2013.

I'd prefer this headline: "“He is a hometown kid who loves the thought of being a superstar in his home state."

+1

And the next line his HS coach says: "He loves the idea of being the next guy having the whole state on his side.”

only thing that kind of scares me about that article is the grades thing. i'd hate to see him on track to come here and have grades derail it. not saying that will happen as I know nothing of Jones' gpa, act, sat, etc. but just the way it was worded in the article made it concerning.

Top Bottom