All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

On a whole I've always been a very positive posters ... but I just don't see this being a great recruiting class unless you know something the rest of us don't. So I respectfully disagree but appreciate your positive attitude. Unfortunately, I'm starting to lose mine.

Are you saying this because of the low # of recruits we have? Because on a # of stars-per-player basis, this is Kill's best class yet. It has to be a small class, nothing can be changed about that. And remember, two of our better recruits from last year, Campbell and Jones, didn't commit until right around signing day. Have some patience.

Are you saying this because of the low # of recruits we have? Because on a # of stars-per-player basis, this is Kill's best class yet. It has to be a small class, nothing can be changed about that. And remember, two of our better recruits from last year, Campbell and Jones, didn't commit until right around signing day. Have some patience.

The statement in bold is true as long as Jones stays on board. If he drops off the # falls right in line with the past 2 classes at basically 2.7. The lower number of recruits will certainly hurt in some of the overall ranking metrics. I will freely admit that I don't go hard core scouting recruits but at least on the surface there is not a ton to get excited about in this class so far outside of Jones. Goes without saying that keeping him on board will be key to this class.

The statement in bold is true as long as Jones stays on board. If he drops off the # falls right in line with the past 2 classes at basically 2.7. The lower number of recruits will certainly hurt in some of the overall ranking metrics. I will freely admit that I don't go hard core scouting recruits but at least on the surface there is not a ton to get excited about in this class so far outside of Jones. Goes without saying that keeping him on board will be key to this class.

Key to the ratings, yes. But again, just one guy at one of the easier positions to fill in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I would love him to sign.

I will freely admit that I don't go hard core scouting recruits but at least on the surface there is not a ton to get excited about in this class so far outside of Jones.

As a Minnesota fan, if you aren't excited about Mayes (offers from Baylor, UConn, Duke, Houston, Kansas, Kansas St., Oklahoma, TCU, Tx A&M, Texas Tech, and Washington St.), Elmore (offers from Indiana, Iowa St., Michigan St., Nebraska, and Wisconsin) or McKinzy (offers from Iowa, Kansas, and Nebraska), I don't know how to respond.

That's true Dpoll. Also for Jones, it could really be an ideal opportunity. The oline should just keep getting better, it is a run heavy offense, and he could play as a true freshman.

As a Minnesota fan, if you aren't excited about Mayes (offers from Baylor, UConn, Duke, Houston, Kansas, Kansas St., Oklahoma, TCU, Tx A&M, Texas Tech, and Washington St.), Elmore (offers from Indiana, Iowa St., Michigan St., Nebraska, and Wisconsin) or McKinzy (offers from Iowa, Kansas, and Nebraska), I don't know how to respond.

*sigh* Let me try this another way. Clearly those guys you mentioned are getting the kind of attention that says they are legit Big Ten level recruits which is good to see. At the same time I don't typically get overly excited about a recruit until they A) actually sign, and B) show up on campus and prove they can play.

To use a recent example a couple years ago people were falling all over themselves talking about how great Phillip Nelson was going to be. Now many of those same people are willing to cast Nelson aside in favor of Leidner. I am glad to see the staff getting commitments from guys that other BCS schools want, that is a definite positive. I just don't spend a lot of time getting worked up about players I have not seen in person and only viewed in highlight videos. Is that good enough to qualify me as a Minnesota fan or is that still not good enough in your eyes?

*sigh* Let me try this another way. Clearly those guys you mentioned are getting the kind of attention that says they are legit Big Ten level recruits which is good to see. At the same time I don't typically get overly excited about a recruit until they A) actually sign, and B) show up on campus and prove they can play.

To use a recent example a couple years ago people were falling all over themselves talking about how great Phillip Nelson was going to be. Now many of those same people are willing to cast Nelson aside in favor of Leidner. I am glad to see the staff getting commitments from guys that other BCS schools want, that is a definite positive. I just don't spend a lot of time getting worked up about players I have not seen in person and only viewed in highlight videos. Is that good enough to qualify me as a Minnesota fan or is that still not good enough in your eyes?

So you don't follow recruiting closely, say you usually don't get excited about recruits until they're on campus, and then went out of your way to say you don't like Minnesota's current recruiting class anyway? Got it.

What did coach Kill tell you about recruiting the last time he called you from the clinic in Michigan?

So you don't follow recruiting closely, say you usually don't get excited about recruits until they're on campus, and then went out of your way to say you don't like Minnesota's current recruiting class anyway? Got it.

What did coach Kill tell you about recruiting the last time he called you from the clinic in Michigan?

Where did I say that I don't like the class? Just pointed out that the ranking is not far off from previous Jerry Kill classes if you take Jones out of the equation (and there is enough talk out there that makes it seem like he is far from a sure thing to sign). As for the other guys I don't have a strong opinion on them either way, as I said in the other post it is good to see that they have other BCS offers, at the same time none of them look like can't miss superstars either.

In the end I really don't even know why I am bothering with a reply to you. You are just going to twist my words into something they aren't in order to make it sound like you are right....so have at it.

Just curious, why exactly is Jones worthy of getting excited about even though he has yet to sign yet those other players mentionared aren't?

On a whole I've always been a very positive posters ... but I just don't see this being a great recruiting class unless you know something the rest of us don't. So I respectfully disagree but appreciate your positive attitude. Unfortunately, I'm starting to lose mine.

on an average star basis, we rank ahead of many schools we are always behind. we're, according to rivals avg star ranking, ahead of iowa, ill, purdue, and indy in terms of average star rating as of now.

I am excited about these players! A few of them have some pretty nice offer sheets!

Just curious, why exactly is Jones worthy of getting excited about even though he has yet to sign yet those other players mentionared aren't?

Not to make it all about stars and ranking but Jones is regarded as one of the top recruits in the country and according to Rivals projects in their potential All-American tier. More important than any of that though he is the #1 rated recruit in the state which makes him very important to hang onto if at all possible.

I have the same feeling on Jones as any other player, he needs to sign and he needs to show something when he gets here before I will get truly excited about his prospects. But of the guys that have given a verbal he seems like the most likely to be a future impact player based on the information that is out there.

Spot on.

on an average star basis, we rank ahead of many schools we are always behind. we're, according to rivals avg star ranking, ahead of iowa, ill, purdue, and indy in terms of average star rating as of now.

IMO, the best way to compare classes that are very different in size is to compare the top 'n' players where 'n' is the size of the smaller class. Obviously schools with bigger classes can take more risks, and it's certainly not a bad thing to have those lower ranked players. Given the choice of 8 players who averaged 3 stars or those exact same 8 players plus 7 other 2* guys, you'd obviously choose the latter. On the other hand, a school shouldn't really be punished for having a small class.

So, for the 2014 class Minnesota has 8 commits. Their 247 composite average is 0.8481.

The 2013 Minnesota class' top 8 commits averaged 0.8441.

Iowa's top 8 2014 commits average 0.8528. Illinois' top 8 commits average 0.8382.

Conclude from the numbers what you will, but I think this is the best method to compare.

EDIT: I should say that I put more weight on offers than ratings/rankings, but it's hard to aggregate offers in any way that can be quickly compared.

Was at the Kennedy/Mpls SW game tonight. Kennedy RB Lucienne Coutier puts up 361 yards and 7TDs...in the FIRST HALF on the SW defense. Forgive me for being pessimistic, and Jeff Jones looks great on youtube, but the game had me wondering if he really will be the impact player in the Big Ten that we want him to be. Kennedy isn't exactly an offensive juggernaut. They had scored 7 points TOTAL in their last four games. If Kennedy's RB can put up these numbers, can't anyone?

Admittedly I haven't seen Jones live. I'd like other perspectives from those who have seen him play to help me back away from the ledge.

Was at the Kennedy/Mpls SW game tonight. Kennedy RB Lucienne Coutier puts up 361 yards and 7TDs...in the FIRST HALF on the SW defense. Forgive me for being pessimistic, and Jeff Jones looks great on youtube, but the game had me wondering if he really will be the impact player in the Big Ten that we want him to be. Kennedy isn't exactly an offensive juggernaut. They had scored 7 points TOTAL in their last four games. If Kennedy's RB can put up these numbers, can't anyone?

Admittedly I haven't seen Jones live. I'd like other perspectives from those who have seen him play to help me back away from the ledge.

Have not seen Jones live so can't speak to that part. To the part in bold you can really ask that question about any High School recruit because it is a crap shoot as to whether or not a guy is going to succeed at the next level. A guy like Jones has the look and measurables that say chances are good he will be successful but there are no guarantees with any recruit.

Have not seen Jones live so can't speak to that part. To the part in bold you can really ask that question about any High School recruit because it is a crap shoot as to whether or not a guy is going to succeed at the next level. A guy like Jones has the look and measurables that say chances are good he will be successful but there are no guarantees with any recruit.

I was shocked to see that, too! 62-13 was the final. Kennedy had given up an average of over 45 points/game. For them to put up the numbers they did AND limit the scoring against SW to 13 makes me hurt for the Minneapolis and St. Paul schools!!!! I knew they were terrible (as a group), BUT this is even beyond my wildest thoughts!

I hope Jeff takes the wondering and doubting he may, occasionally, hear and uses it as fuel to prove them wrong while wearing the MAROON AND GOLD!!!!!

It's important to remember that he tore it up on the elite camp circuit last summer. That doesn't guarantee that he'll ever be worth a damn in college, but he was a standout when playing against the best players in the country.

It's important to remember that he tore it up on the elite camp circuit last summer. That doesn't guarantee that he'll ever be worth a damn in college, but he was a standout when playing against the best players in the country.

I agree but that's similar to tearing it up at the NFL combine. It's not a game; it's a camp with limited contact aimed at simulating game-like conditions and measurable tests.

Like you and others mention, recruiting is, OBVIOUSLY, a crap shoot tied to some educated guesses, opinions, and limited comparisons.

I agree but that's similar to tearing it up at the NFL combine. It's not a game; it's a camp with limited contact aimed at simulating game-like conditions and measurable tests.
Like you and others mention, recruiting is, OBVIOUSLY, a crap shoot tied to some educated guesses, opinions, and limited comparisons.

But remember, he is a running back. What you say is more applicable to a QB...

Josh087 you raise a good question as most of Washburn's opponents this year are not good teams. Washburn is playing Kennedy at Washburn this Saturday at 7pm if you guys want to make it a double header (Gophers vs Nebraska followed by watching Jones). Wear your Gopher gear!

High School stats are almost completely worthless in evaluating a prospect.

Paging Mr. Jones...your offense is ready for you!

The offense we ran today against NE is ready made for Jeff Jones to step in and be a difference maker. He can line up in 3 different positions and run sweeps from the flanker spot, run from the I and run from the wing on options.

Jones made a huge jump in the ESPN ratings. up to 4*, 181 in the country.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post?id=87785

New Entrant:

VanHaaren: Jeff Jones (Minneapolis/Washburn) went from being listed as a three-star prospect to being the No. 181-ranked prospect in the country. Jones is having an outstanding season, with more than 40 touchdowns on the ground. He currently is committed to Minnesota but still has been hearing from plenty of other teams.

Jones took a huge jump in the ESPN ratings. up to 4*, 181 in the country.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post?id=87785

New Entrant:

VanHaaren: Jeff Jones (Minneapolis/Washburn) went from being listed as a three-star prospect to being the No. 181-ranked prospect in the country. Jones is having an outstanding season, with more than 40 touchdowns on the ground. He currently is committed to Minnesota but still has been hearing from plenty of other teams.

I noticed this too. His grade increased from 78 (I think) to 83, and from three stars to four. Makes our 2014 class look quite a bit better.

The Millers take on Apple Valley on the Millers home turf this Friday, Nov 1st at 7pm.

I noticed this too. His grade increased from 78 (I think) to 83, and from three stars to four. Makes our 2014 class look quite a bit better.

Just looking at that and JC hausenauer is right below him at 188, makes me regret not getting him that much more, at the time I didn't care all that much since he was only a 3 star and the #3 player in state but know I want him, it would be a sight to see if we had him, ragnow and Connor Mayes opening up huge holes for Jeff Jones

If Washburn wins and Owatonna both win this Friday the two teams would play each other next week. Think about that. Andrew Stelter and Jeffery Jones on the field at the same time. Hoping both teams win so we could see two future gophers on the field.

If Washburn can barely get past Kennedy, i've got to believe Apple Valley will get the W this Friday. They're much better than Kennedy. It's going to take a super-human effort from Jones (again) to pull this one off. He's capable, but i have my doubts.

The offense we ran today against NE is ready made for Jeff Jones to step in and be a difference maker. He can line up in 3 different positions and run sweeps from the flanker spot, run from the I and run from the wing on options.

Agree. Jones could be one of those guys who moves around all over the backfield depending on situation and playcall. He's one of those guys who appears to have the talent that could be used in a variety of ways on the offensive side of the ball.

Top Bottom