All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

If Jones has transferred, I wish it would have been to Wayzata or really any other program except EP. Not a big fan of Mike Grant and what he represents. He is gods gift to football in his mind only.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Washburn coach Giovan Jenkins said <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> commit Jeff Jones participated in team's 2nd practice today. Missed 1st to complete physical.</p>— JoeChristensen (@JoeCStrib) <a href="https://twitter.com/JoeCStrib/statuses/367078071184015360">August 13, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Jenkins said he'd heard rumor of Jones transferring, but said rules state kids can't play for another school after practicing with another.</p>— JoeChristensen (@JoeCStrib) <a href="https://twitter.com/JoeCStrib/statuses/367078832886398976">August 13, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>MSHSL rules actually say a player can start a season with one school and finish with another (after establishing residency, etc.)</p>— JoeChristensen (@JoeCStrib) <a href="https://twitter.com/JoeCStrib/statuses/367084318905991168">August 13, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>However, cases of a kid practicing for one school and transferring in time to play for another that season are rare, MSHSL source says.</p>— JoeChristensen (@JoeCStrib) <a href="https://twitter.com/JoeCStrib/statuses/367084750785093632">August 13, 2013</a></blockquote>

Gopher_Ace said:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>MSHSL rules actually say a player can start a season with one school and finish with another (after establishing residency, etc.)</p>— JoeChristensen (@JoeCStrib) <a href="https://twitter.com/JoeCStrib/statuses/367084318905991168">August 13, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>However, cases of a kid practicing for one school and transferring in time to play for another that season are rare, MSHSL source says.</p>— JoeChristensen (@JoeCStrib) <a href="https://twitter.com/JoeCStrib/statuses/367084750785093632">August 13, 2013</a></blockquote>

A husband and wife can't be convicted of the same crime...I have the worst f***ing attorney!

Gopher fans better hope that Jones is not transferring to EP, cause that will most likely be the final nail in the coffin for him staying with his Gophers commitment. There would be no other reason for him to transfer to EP other than to gain exposure for his recruitment process.

Gopher fans better hope that Jones is not transferring to EP, cause that will most likely be the final nail in the coffin for him staying with his Gophers commitment. There would be no other reason for him to transfer to EP other than to gain exposure for his recruitment process.

He's a consensus 4-star. Coaches know who he is.

There would be no other reason for him to transfer to EP other than to gain exposure for his recruitment process.

1. Be on a better team
2. Have a chance at a state championship
3. Try something new
4. Follow a girlfriend there
5. Follow a friend there

These are only a few among a myriad of reasons why someone could/would transfer schools to play football.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenUMNGopher View Post

I suspect that none of us know that much about what is really going on. This alleged latest move by Jones along with his supposed new advisors certainly raises a lot of warning flags. It feels to me like this kid has big plans and so do the people advising him. It also feels very similar to another situation we had here a few years back. But as dpodoll pointed out above there is "a myriad of reasons why someone could/would transfer schools to play football." This is great theater, especially here, but only time will tell what this is all about.

Thank you for adding nothing. Its it your goal to be sarcastic in everything you post?

1. Be on a better team
2. Have a chance at a state championship
3. Try something new
5. Follow a friend there

These are only a few among a myriad of reasons why someone could/would transfer schools to play football.

By all public accounts the kid has been very loyal and down to earth about his recruitment.
His coach has been supportive of him staying home.
He's been pretty vocal in his continued commitment to the U, albeit with some squishyness.
Now all this.
I'm worried we have a SH situation brewing here, all signs point to some sort of power struggle behind the scenes. A transfer to EP would be a very bad sign for the gophers IMO.
Let's hope he doesn't make a huge mistake and follow bad advice from an adult he trusts.

Yes, but his stock would definitely rise if he joined EP. Would more than likely see him put together his best rushing season playing for a team that rushes 99% of the time and WILL probably win state again.

You guys are kidding yourself if you think its for reasons other than recruiting.

Thank you for adding nothing. Its it your goal to be sarcastic in everything you post?

How is that sarcastic? I was 100% serious. There are literally hundreds of reasons why anyone would want to transfer schools. I'm not the one who made the stupid statement. And I strongly disagree that I was adding nothing.

You guys are kidding yourself if you think its for reasons other than recruiting.

You are kidding yourself if you think you know why he's possibly transferring.

Better school, more affluent district, more accomplished athletic program, better exposure, Washburn principal was just fired for tampering with tests at his last job...

I usually don't agree with pedoodle, but I have to take his part on this one. There are plenty of reasons to transfer, and some of them are good reasons. I'm going to assume good faith on young Jones's part.

Yup you're right, im the one with the stupid statement says the guy who lists the following reasons why he may transfer(I can give you the State Championship one, but you dont see many high school football kids doing that):

1. Be on a better team
3. Try something new
5. Follow a friend there

Grumpy old dpodoll needs his nap.

How is that sarcastic? I was 100% serious. There are literally hundreds of reasons why anyone would want to transfer schools. I'm not the one who made the stupid statement. And I strongly disagree that I was adding nothing.

You are kidding yourself if you think you know why he's possibly transferring.

Yup you're right, im the one with the stupid statement says the guy who lists the following reasons why he may transfer(I can give you the State Championship one, but you dont see many high school football kids doing that):

1. Be on a better team
3. Try something new
5. Follow a friend there

Grumpy old dpodoll needs his nap.

Yes, no one has ever transferred for any of those reasons. Get a frickin' clue and stop being an idiot.

Yes, but his stock would definitely rise if he joined EP. Would more than likely see him put together his best rushing season playing for a team that rushes 99% of the time and WILL probably win state again.

I agree that his stock could rise, but it won't necessarily be because he's rushing for more yards/tds. Eden Prairie has a bunch of backs and Grant likes to keep you guessing.

Since we're throwing out theories with absolutely ZERO substantiation; I find the item below of interest:

...Washburn principal was just fired for tampering with tests at his last job...

I don't know how Jones is doing in school, and I'll assume that he's doing just fine, and is not "at risk". However, just to make sure that he has all his i's dotted, and t's crossed, do you think the firing of the principal could play a role in the scenario we're all tied up about? I'm thinking just to make sure that no one questions any test scores before he picks a college, that could play a role if he decides to transfer.

What the hell, it's as legitimate as any other theory out there.

I remember a few years ago where Hageman (Washburn alum) or someone in the program said something to the effect that he wasn't as far along football-wise as someone would have been coming out of a top high school program (EP, Wayzata, etc.). The thought was that being at Washburn stunted his growth as a football player, and he would have been better earlier on in his U career if he had gone to a different high school. Pure speculation on my part, but this is possibly what Jones is thinking. Rashad Vaughn is an example on the basketball side.

It's a safe bet that Jones would be a better football player and more prepared to start playing at the U if he were to attend EP instead of Washburn.

Galt, that is a good point with Hageman regarding development. Washburn has had a great run in a weaker conference and should be strong again. I think there was something that went on last year between him and the coach. His playing time was diminished early and Raymonte Maynard had a bigger year. Logistically, as someone who lives close to Washburn, I would not like having to battle traffic to get to EP for school and practice every day.

Logistically, as someone who lives close to Washburn, I would not like having to battle traffic to get to EP for school and practice every day.
It's 15 miles between the two schools. Many kids out-state have longer commutes to the nearest high school.

It's 15 miles between the two schools. Many kids out-state have longer commutes to the nearest high school.

I thought he would actually have to move to the EP school district to be able to play with them this year?

BTW, for all of you saying that it's a BAD thing for Jones to go to EP, please remember that Coach Grants son Ryan is a former EAGLE/GOPHER! Grayson Levine (current Gopher) is from EP as well.

I'd love to hear how driving between Washburn HS and Eden Prairie at 5pm is comparable to driving from Stephen to Argyle.

Good point. I avoid 494 or 62 between 3-6pm if possible.

It's just odd that he would start practicing and still transfer. Selfishly, I hope he stays with the Millers.

I'd love to hear how driving between Washburn HS and Eden Prairie at 5pm is comparable to driving from Stephen to Argyle.
as mentioned above, since he didn't transfer before his freshmen year or want to sit out a year, he has to move to Eden Prairie, but driving between anywhere in Minneapolis and Eden Prairie isn't that bad. Eden Prairie has no shortage of transfers making similar commutes.

Top Bottom