All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

With a winning season to go along with a bowl win, I am fairly confident we get him. With a winning season, and non bowl win, I think we are still in the running. With a losing season, he is gone.

...Jones is possibly the biggest recruit for us in a long time, not just because of how highly he is rated, but because of what he would mean to the team, and because he is an in state recruit. Getting him would go a long way in "locking down the boarders" for other recruits in the future.

...Jones is possibly the biggest recruit for us in a long time, not just because of how highly he is rated, but because of what he would mean to the team, and because he is an in state recruit. Getting him would go a long way in "locking down the boarders" for other recruits in the future.

No offense, but I get tired of this line. The same was said of Jonah Pirsig, Andre McDonald, Phil Nelson, Ra'shede Hageman, etc, etc.

No offense, but I get tired of this line. The same was said of Jonah Pirsig, Andre McDonald, Phil Nelson, Ra'shede Hageman, etc, etc.

Ummmm..... But doesn't it make sense? You have to sign in state recruits in order to sign instate recruits, right?

If you don't sign the in state recruits, then the in-state recruits are not signed.

Isn't that logical?

I guess what you are saying is that since we signed the in-state recruits, then we should have a better chance of signing Jeff Jones, but with recent developments you are concerned that he may go to another school anyway.

Pardon me for stating the obvious, but if we only looked outside the state for recruits we wouldn't have a chance at all to sign Jeff Jones or any other in state recruits.

I am sorry for trolling you, but your statement just put me through a loop.

Sent from my PLAYSTATION PHONE using tapatalk

Dilemina said:
Ummmm..... But doesn't it make sense? You have to sign in state recruits in order to sign instate recruits, right?

If you don't sign the in state recruits, then the in-state recruits are not signed.

Isn't that logical?

I guess what you are saying is that since we signed the in-state recruits, then we should have a better chance of signing Jeff Jones, but with recent developments you are concerned that he may go to another school anyway.

Pardon me for stating the obvious, but if we only looked outside the state for recruits we wouldn't have a chance at all to sign Jeff Jones or any other in state recruits.

I am sorry for trolling you, but your statement just put me through a loop.

Sent from my PLAYSTATION PHONE using tapatalk

Your original quote said that Jeff Jones is the biggest recruit for us in a long time. He was pointing out that someone says that, seemingly, every year.

Jones is attending FSU's summer camp. His primary recruiter is.....Tim Brewster.

You can't make this stuff up.

per Sid:

• Jeff Jones, the Gophers running back recruit from Minneapolis Washburn who is the top rated player in the state for the class of 2014, recently participated in the Opening, perhaps the biggest football camp in the country, held at the Nike headquarters in Beaverton, Ore. Jones received an invitation after winning the running back MVP honors at the Nike Football Training Camp in Chicago.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/216310141.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

• Jeff Jones, the Gophers running back recruit from Minneapolis Washburn who is the top rated player in the state for the class of 2014, recently participated in the Opening, perhaps the biggest football camp in the country, held at the Nike headquarters in Beaverton, Ore. Jones received an invitation after winning the running back MVP honors at the Nike Football Training Camp in Chicago.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/216310141.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

good read. It said that there was 1 person from SD that went to the camp, any chance someone could possibly find out who it was?? I'm from there and I'm interested if it's anyone I know.

Just heard Jeff Jones and his Wasburn coach Javon Jenkins on KFAN on TT's show. They talked about this season and recruitment and in general what type of player Jones is.

My general thoughts are that Javon Jenkins is the perfect mentor for Jones. He preaches hard work and tough blocking and says that running the ball will come naturally from that.

In terms of recruiting. Jenkins reiterated that Jones had reopened his recruiting. That he still had a verbal with the U. He says that Jones got wrapped up in signing day last February without realizing he had another year of high school.

"reopened his recruiting" and "still a verbal with the U." Words have no meaning anymore.

I loved how Trent Tucker unabashedly plugged the U at the end of the interview. He said something to the extent of "I'm not sure I should be saying this and applying any sort of pressure... but I personally would love to see you in maroon and gold next fall." Love it! Those type of comments are important coming from known, influential people. Go TT.

per Shama:

Tim Brewster Recruits U Target

Although former Gophers head coach Tim Brewster is recruiting Jeff Jones, the four-star Washburn High School running back remains committed to Minnesota, according to Giovan Jenkins.

Jenkins said Brewster, now an assistant coach at Florida State, started recruiting Jones early this summer. Jenkins, who starts his fifth season as Washburn head coach later this month, told Sports Headliners he doesn’t think Florida State will be where Jones attends college.

“He is still staying with his commitment to Minnesota as we speak,” Jenkins said. “He just wants to go through his senior year with an open mind (about other schools). Coach (Jerry) Kill has done a great job in developing a relationship with him. I think Minnesota is a good fit for him.”

Jenkins, who thinks chances are good Jones will ultimately choose the Gophers, said Iowa State is probably No. 2 on the list of possible college destinations.

Jones has been a starter for the Millers since ninth grade. He is the only Rivals.com four-star commit the Gophers have so far in their class of 2014.

Jenkins has another outstanding running back in Raymonte Maynard who has a scholarship offer from North Dakota. Other mid-major programs are interested too.

The Millers have won 12 consecutive City titles. “I expect to win our 13th straight,” Jenkins said. Washburn, 8-3 overall last season, begins practice on August 12 and has its first game against St. Paul Highland Park August 30.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>S/o to Missouri for the offer <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23blessed&src=hash">#blessed</a> &#55357;&#56911;&#55356;&#57286;&#55356;&#57288;</p>— Jeff Jones (@WaveyJJ_10) <a href="https://twitter.com/WaveyJJ_10/statuses/364490348279500800">August 5, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

There's rumors around town about Jones transferring to Eden Prairie? Any truth to this? Curious as an eagle alum.

Rumors only on Jones to Eden Prairie. His Head Coach at Washburn, Jenkins, is like a father figure to Jeffrey. He wouldn't leave him high and dry like that. The interesting thing is that Coach Jenkins has been interviewed more than his star player, not sure if this has been by design or not? There are rumors out that his family, namely his Uncles, are trying to get more involved with Jones recruiting vs. having Coach Jenkins running everything. Possible power play going on behind the scenes. I wish this kid the best.

There's rumors around town about Jones transferring to Eden Prairie? Any truth to this? Curious as an eagle alum.

If he did he couldn't play this year unless he moved to that district.

Rumors only on Jones to Eden Prairie. His Head Coach at Washburn, Jenkins, is like a father figure to Jeffrey. He wouldn't leave him high and dry like that. The interesting thing is that Coach Jenkins has been interviewed more than his star player, not sure if this has been by design or not? There are rumors out that his family, namely his Uncles, are trying to get more involved with Jones recruiting vs. having Coach Jenkins running everything. Possible power play going on behind the scenes. I wish this kid the best.

There were some "problems" between Jones and Jenkins. I'm not sure exactly what they were, but I know Jenkins wasn't allowing Jones to do any interviews.

As far as his uncles taking over Jones' recruiting...We certainly don't want that. Jenkins is a HUGE Gophers fan.

Take it for what it's worth, but I'm hearing directly from some Eden Prairie players that Jones to EP is pretty much a done deal. In regards to how he's be able to play this year, they said the coaches just said "we'll figure it out." Don't know how it'll happen but Mike Grant can do pretty much anything. I'd guess that he'll live with someone in EP during the week but that's just a guess on my part.

If this is true, I would be disappointed. Kind of like Hopkins recruiting Minneapolis kids to play basketball.

Take it for what it's worth, but I'm hearing directly from some Eden Prairie players that Jones to EP is pretty much a done deal. In regards to how he's be able to play this year, they said the coaches just said "we'll figure it out." Don't know how it'll happen but Mike Grant can do pretty much anything. I'd guess that he'll live with someone in EP during the week but that's just a guess on my part.
No, Mike Grant doesn't recruit, and he's most definitely not able to do "anything". You can't really blame Jones for thinking about moving. Huge upgrade in both football and academics when you move to the Lake Conference.

No, Mike Grant doesn't recruit, and he's most definitely not able to do "anything". You can't really blame Jones for thinking about moving. Huge upgrade in both football and academics when you move to the Lake Conference.

We should know today with fall camp starting across the state.

Anyone attend either Washburn or EP practice?

It sounds like Jeff Jones to Eden Prairie has some legs. He was not at their practice today for the opening practice, but a EP player told me that Jones' father has gotten an apartment in Eden Prairie. I hope to have more information later on the Gopher commit.

Chris Monter

Top Bottom