All Things Nolan Winter Recruitment Thread (Class of 2023, Gophers Offered, Son of Trevor)

As Bob said, Winter is in the class of Minnesota recruits that we have to land consistently and I sincerely hope we get him. That said, I can understand the allure (as much as I hate to say it) for a player of Winter's type to consider playing there. They've had a lot of success with players with Winter's profile over the years (and don't start with "It's because he's white and from Lakeville.). Their system really features post players quite well and it's a well-established system. Challenge for Ben will be to convince Winter that his tool set would fit nicely with what the Gophers are trying to accomplish. Winter pretty much knows how he would be used in Wisconsin. It's a little foggier over here.

As Bob said, Winter is in the class of Minnesota recruits that we have to land consistently and I sincerely hope we get him. That said, I can understand the allure (as much as I hate to say it) for a player of Winter's type to consider playing there. They've had a lot of success with players with Winter's profile over the years (and don't start with "It's because he's white and from Lakeville.). Their system really features post players quite well and it's a well-established system. Challenge for Ben will be to convince Winter that his tool set would fit nicely with what the Gophers are trying to accomplish. Winter pretty much knows how he would be used in Wisconsin. It's a little foggier over here.
We just had Battle play a stretch 4 last year. If anything Winter has no tape against what he does where Wisconsin is using Wahl at the 4 and they have drastically different skill sets

We just had Battle play a stretch 4 last year. If anything Winter has no tape against what he does where Wisconsin is using Wahl at the 4 and they have drastically different skill sets
Gard has been 50/50 or less with that type of recruit from Minnesota, Illikainen and Carlson were busts, Ruevers was successful but very unhappy, and so far Wahl has been good. Not that obvious which is the better landing spot for him.

Seems live Nolan's official at the U could end up being next week. If so, likely have a decision before EOM.

Seems live Nolan's official at the U could end up being next week. If so, likely have a decision before EOM.
Seems like if he wants to still take a gopher visit that early and quick after the Wisconsin visit, we are in good shape. I don’t think they’d waste Ben’s time if Wisconsin was the choice.

Anyone heard anything on Winter? Is his visit this weekend or has it happened already? Was it pushed back?

Sounds like Winter's visit is this week.

from the Strib (article Tuesday, Aug 30 on Gopher recruiting of 5* CA Center)

Lakeville North sharpshooting forward Nolan Winter, the son of former Gophers center Trevor Winter, said he'll visit his father's alma mater Wednesday. Winter is expecting to make a decision soon after his U official visit, he told the Star Tribune last week.

Looking forward to hearing about Winter’s visit and hopefully commitment soon! It will be very interesting to see what we do with our remaining scholarships.

Looking forward to hearing about Winter’s visit and hopefully commitment soon! It will be very interesting to see what we do with our remaining scholarships.
Sounds like Winter and the guy from California are compatible. Sounds like the California guy is more of a true post while Winter is more of an outside guy, at least on offense.

Sounds like Winter and the guy from California are compatible. Sounds like the California guy is more of a true post while Winter is more of an outside guy, at least on offense.
It would be great to have Christie, Winter, and Evans. Evans seems like a program changer. I’m not sure we have scholarships left after that if Chatman is still interested. Leaves us short at PG but maybe some combo guards have those skills. But not a true PG. I know Cooper may only be here one year and who knows if Garcia tests the NBA waters if he has a great year. Battle as well.

I don’t think you could pass up Winter and Evans to hold a spot for Chatman IF HE DECIDES TO stay home. You take these guys and make a combo guard or two out of the guys you have. Hell, i remember KG bringing the ball up for the Wolves when we had guard injuries!

Besides, the chances of having 0 players transfer out is practically zero.

Someone will leave for greener pastures or more playing time. That may not lineup with Chatman’s time line, but he has been sitting i his offer for quite a while.

Take the bigs! Get a transfer guard if you have to.

It would be great to have Christie, Winter, and Evans. Evans seems like a program changer. I’m not sure we have scholarships left after that if Chatman is still interested. Leaves us short at PG but maybe some combo guards have those skills. But not a true PG. I know Cooper may only be here one year and who knows if Garcia tests the NBA waters if he has a great year. Battle as well.
There will be room for Chatman if he chooses to stay home. Would be foolish wait on him though if you have guys that fit and want to be here. My guess is if we fill the three open scholarships now, we have at least two more in the spring. Very low risk in signing three right now.

I’m in the minority but I think Winter is an important recruit to bring back interest in the program.

These level of recruits there is no saving scholarships for anyone. I would wager if we want all three we will find a way. My gut tells me we have no chance at Chatman No reason other than I get the been there, done that feeling like with so many highly recruited Minnesota kids who make late decisions.

I don’t think you could pass up Winter and Evans to hold a spot for Chatman IF HE DECIDES TO stay home. You take these guys and make a combo guard or two out of the guys you have. Hell, i remember KG bringing the ball up for the Wolves when we had guard injuries!

Someone will leave for greener pastures or more playing time. That may not lineup with Chatman’s time line, but he has been sitting i his offer for quite a while.

I agree. You take the guys ready to commit, especially if they are the caliber of Winter and Evans. Hopefully the program gets to a place where the recruits are concerned about having a spot.

If Chatman wants to be here he will have a spot. The odds no one leaves via portal, injury history, NBA is about zip to start with and then if that does happen there are other options (hello football scholarship!). I want to say one year Kevin Payton was on a track scholarship when he was here? Regardless, if guys like Evans, Winter and Chatman want to be here, they will find a way that is a certainty.

If Chatman wants to be here he will have a spot. The odds no one leaves via portal, injury history, NBA is about zip to start with and then if that does happen there are other options (hello football scholarship!). I want to say one year Kevin Payton was on a track scholarship when he was here? Regardless, if guys like Evans, Winter and Chatman want to be here, they will find a way that is a certainty.

100%

For better or worse, the game has changed.

If we have a chance to land Chatman, there will be room. Coaches have to have that mindset because they cannot count on a roster.

I think the Gophers land Winter. Ben can sell Winter on the way they’ve successfully used Battle and envision Winter in a similar role.

No chance at Chapman imo. Haven’t heard anything about recruiting him recently. The issue is his dad. He’s been shopping his son for years and I don’t think Ben is running a program that gets into bidding wars.

These level of recruits there is no saving scholarships for anyone. I would wager if we want all three we will find a way. My gut tells me we have no chance at Chatman No reason other than I get the been there, done that feeling like with so many highly recruited Minnesota kids who make late decisions.

Winter, Evans & Chatman are ALL takes. Someone will transfer out, get injured, quit, or be enouraged to find playing time elsewhere to make room for those 3.

I think the Gophers land Winter. Ben can sell Winter on the way they’ve successfully used Battle and envision Winter in a similar role.

No chance at Chapman imo. Haven’t heard anything about recruiting him recently. The issue is his dad. He’s been shopping his son for years and I don’t think Ben is running a program that gets into bidding wars.
I think Winter's game is more Dawson Garcia, than Jamison Battle. If Garcia has a great year, there could be a LOT of playing time available at Winter's position next year.

I second this.

So….when will we hear about where Nolan Winter will end up going? Possibly this weekend? I’ve always been confident that he would be a Gopher….but I’ve heard he really liked Wisconsin and it’s very possible he could end up there. I’ve also heard that the Gopher staff has done a great job recruiting him. Hopefully he had a good visit with them this week.

Top Bottom