All Things Nolan Winter Recruitment Thread (Class of 2023, Gophers Offered, Son of Trevor)

So we can say we cooled on him....

if we're not going after chatman hard for any reason outside of he's not expressing serious interest it's a fail IMO
Disagree. Some recruits are subtraction by addition. I think that applies here.

Speaking of Trent Tucker, I had season tickets when he was swishing looooong shots (before the 3 pointer) and this guy behind me would say, "No, Trent....nice shot."

Speaking of Trent Tucker, I had season tickets when he was swishing looooong shots (before the 3 pointer) and this guy behind me would say, "No, Trent....nice shot."
Reminds me of when someone back in the day asked him what his range was and TT jokingly said "the gym".....or something to that effect.

I wonder how many different coaches in how many different games have said or thought that in the history of basketball?

It would be interesting to know what the current situation (players/injuries) has on Winter.

If we are set at one position is the stretch 4 who should maybe play the 5 but thinks hes a 3. I could easily see Winter going hmm DG/JB are there and maybe will be another year, II/PF will be there another year, plus Payne/Evans?? at C, suddenly minutes are pretty slim for him. To go back to the scholarship question, none of use know, maybe Battle and Garcia have said hey unless its a total disaster we are done after this year. Maybe one of Ihnen/Fox said hey I would like to stick on scholarship this year but I'm going to be done or move on after this. Those are things one of us know but all factor into his decision. I hope he commits (and soon) but I can see why there is hesitation.

Trent Tucker's realistic range was "halfcourt". I still remember him going like 16-19 against Connecticut in the 1981 NIT. Today's rules, he would have had like 54 points; I think he had 35 that day.....

There has to be a push and a pull in the new transfer portal world. The athletes have been given increased freedoms to move around but with that coaching staffs are going to be forced to also treat it more like professional sports.

This is my long winded way of saying that in this new day, we'll find room.
100%. I've said this over and over - gone are the days of guys like Diedhiou taking up scholarships (if you're looking to sign a new guy). There are reactions to every action, and the flip side of easier player movement is coaches not feeling obligated to honor a 4-5 year scholarship on every player they sign out of HS.

IMO, that's a long reach. After watching him on tape, its obvious he needs to get stronger, especially on the D side. The sample size was small but his D was really weak defending the paint. Maybe he will make the big jump but he has a ways to go.+
Agreed but there are a lot of guys who waive additional college eligibility that are long reaches. My gut just tells me he will go after one year whether a good decision or not. He could be close to a degree by then too.

100%. I've said this over and over - gone are the days of guys like Diedhiou taking up scholarships (if you're looking to sign a new guy). There are reactions to every action, and the flip side of easier player movement is coaches not feeling obligated to honor a 4-5 year scholarship on every player they sign out of HS.
And that’s a bad deal for the players overall. Many more would benefit from committed scholarships than over the top freedom of movement.

Garcia is done after one year. Battle could jump too. Expect a transfer or two. There is always room.

I'm thinking the same thing. I would love for him to be here for two years, but my expectation is one year, and I'll be pleasantly surprised with a 2nd.

And I just don't see Winter picking the Badgers over the Gophers, regardless of the wait. But I've been disappointed and surprised before by in-state decisions...

Loved watching him chuck it from "Tucker Land."

If Garcia is going to leave after one season at MN, he is going to have to have one heck of a season.

realistically, Garcia was good his true FR year, but took a step backwards his second year. Yes, there were family issues involved, but the overall picture does not scream "sure-fire NBA player."

this is a big year for Garcia to show what he has and demonstrate some consistency.

so, if he goes pro after this year, that means he had a heck of a year, which should be good news for the Gophers. But, if he doesn't have that type of a year, I could certainly see him returning to MN for another season to shore up his stock with the pro scouts.

I'm thinking the same thing. I would love for him to be here for two years, but my expectation is one year, and I'll be pleasantly surprised with a 2nd.

And I just don't see Winter picking the Badgers over the Gophers, regardless of the wait. But I've been disappointed and surprised before by in-state decisions...
Reid Travis comes to mind.

hey nolan, we still waiting.

If Garcia is going to leave after one season at MN, he is going to have to have one heck of a season.

realistically, Garcia was good his true FR year, but took a step backwards his second year. Yes, there were family issues involved, but the overall picture does not scream "sure-fire NBA player."

this is a big year for Garcia to show what he has and demonstrate some consistency.

so, if he goes pro after this year, that means he had a heck of a year, which should be good news for the Gophers. But, if he doesn't have that type of a year, I could certainly see him returning to MN for another season to shore up his stock with the pro scouts.
Things have changed, though. Players leave early sometimes even if they aren't projected to be first round picks. Amir Coffey did the same thing and it has worked out just fine for him.

Things have changed, though. Players leave early sometimes even if they aren't projected to be first round picks. Amir Coffey did the same thing and it has worked out just fine for him.
I wonder with the NIL money some players can get that some will stay longer now. Talking more about those 2nd rounders or undrafted type players.

I wonder with the NIL money some players can get that some will stay longer now. Talking more about those 2nd rounders or undrafted type players.
Yeah that's a good point, that will likely keep some in school longer. Not sure that will apply to Garcia though unless Gopher players are getting NIL deals that I don't know about.

Way OT but why is the party scene there just amazing compared to the U? I was at the U 4 years, I had a GREAT time. Admittedly I've never been to Madison, I mean you go, you drink or whatever you do to get tuned up, talk with guys, gals and whoever. You go home. Is there something I am missing? I mean in college we lived in a POS house, we drew the 32 team beer pong bracket on the wall, felt like that was a good time ha.

I feel like Will Ferrell in Old School. Odds are its just basic parties...but maybe it something cool, something I don't even know about! :)
UM is a school within an actual city. UW is a sorta city built around a school that's built around a football field. There's a certain drunken expectation there, so the expected social standards by everyone is just lower by default.

Great school to visit and party at- and I'm sure they throw one helluva tour, Also great city to leave in the summers and move away from after graduation though, crazy how well this aspect is covered up. No one actually wants to be in Madison.

UM is a school within an actual city. UW is a sorta city built around a school that's built around a football field. There's a certain drunken expectation there, so the expected social standards by everyone is just lower by default.

Great school to visit and party at- and I'm sure they throw one helluva tour, Also great city to leave in the summers and move away from after graduation though, crazy how well this aspect is covered up. No one actually wants to be in Madison.
Sorry, but I disagree with this. I hate the Skunks but Madison revolves around the university. It’s pretty with the lakes and athletes are treated like demi-Gods there. That’s appealing to a lot of kids. Fingers crossed Nolan picks the Gophs.

Sorry, but I disagree with this. I hate the Skunks but Madison revolves around the university. It’s pretty with the lakes and athletes are treated like demi-Gods there. That’s appealing to a lot of kids. Fingers crossed Nolan picks the Gophs.
I disagree with this. I'd rather live in an actual city than in Madison. And guys can meet girls in Minneapolis just as easily as in Madison. With more variety.

I agree with all of this. Almost went there myself, even though my post my not give that impression haha

You make it sound like Madison is a one stop-light town like Mayberry.

500,000 people live there. Madison is a city (and a nice one at that), sorry.

I do hate the Badgers, though.
As of the 2020 census the population of Madison was 269,840

I see we are at the "population of Madison" part of the Nolan Winter recruitment.

To his credit, he's kept his decision very close to the vest. Certainly not a guy seeking attention. Here's hoping Johnson was able to close the deal.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom