All Things Malik Rucker Thread

So, how about Malik Rucker?

This has degenerated into probably the worst thread in GopherHole history, which is an amazing accomplishment.

Worst? Nah, there are many threads the great dpo has hijacked with his superior knowledge in an attempt to "keep the thread on topic".

Rucker? I'm with Coach Kill on this. Not all that impressed with the highlight film but probably OK for a MN corner. Remember it is highlights. Coaches want to see whole game films. What did he do the other 58 plays? The kid probably is a BCS level player if he is getting the offers. But Coach Kill at this point must think this kid is not the best BCS level player we can get with this scholarship.

there are many threads the great dpo has hijacked with his superior knowledge in an attempt to "keep the thread on topic"

Perhaps. But I didn't highjack this one. RashoLives made an abortive attempt, and dbag brought it into full-on highjack territory. Of course, it is easy to not highjack any threads when you make less than two posts per month and are utterly forgettable.

But Coach Kill at this point must think this kid is not the best BCS level player we can get with this scholarship.

I agree that he is probably thinking this is the case, and if he does, I think he is sorely mistaken. Just my opinion.

Malik just picked up an offer from SMU to go along with BCS offers from Iowa and Iowa State.

Worst? Nah, there are many threads the great dpo has hijacked with his superior knowledge in an attempt to "keep the thread on topic".

Rucker? I'm with Coach Kill on this. Not all that impressed with the highlight film but probably OK for a MN corner. Remember it is highlights. Coaches want to see whole game films. What did he do the other 58 plays? The kid probably is a BCS level player if he is getting the offers. But Coach Kill at this point must think this kid is not the best BCS level player we can get with this scholarship.

Because Coach Kill has been succesful everywhere he has been and I like his small sample size, I agree with you. I trust Coach Kill. I give my opinions on players, but generally, I fully acknowledge that I trust Coach Kill's opinion more than mine.

However, I do kind of disagree with you on your guess as to what Coach Kill's assesment of Rucker is. I think, more than likely, Coach Kill just wants to see him in person (camp) or possibly next season. I doubt that Coach Kill has come to the conclusion that he isn't that impressed.

However, I do kind of disagree with you on your guess as to what Coach Kill's assesment of Rucker is. I think, more than likely, Coach Kill just wants to see him in person (camp) or possibly next season. I doubt that Coach Kill has come to the conclusion that he isn't that impressed.
This is what I'd think as well. Coach Kill has made it clear he prefers to offer after an in person eval.

But it's probably true. ;)

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I usually enjoy dpodoll68's posts. Yeah, sometimes I don't agree at all with what he's saying. But I think some people take him way too seriously. JMO.

+1. There are a lot of people on this board who, for all their Gopher excitement, don't actually know anything about football. I like that Dpo actually explains why they are wrong.

Perhaps. But I didn't highjack this one. RashoLives made an abortive attempt, and dbag brought it into full-on highjack territory. Of course, it is easy to not highjack any threads when you make less than two posts per month and are utterly forgettable.

I'll bite... I'm sorry that my snide and completely unacceptable comment caused pages upon pages of off topic banter and thus "hijacked" the thread. I should have known that only those who post three times a month or more are allowed to be witty or make (admittedly) poor attempts at jokes. I promise not to make any more posts until I have time to respond three times a month. At that point however I want you to promise me two things; 1. That you will not call me names and 2. That you will remember me. I do not think this is too much to ask.

Also, because I mainly read DpoHole for the insight. I will do my best to offer mine (of which I have none, remember I post less than twice a month) regarding Malik Rucker:
It seems to me that he is a very fluid athlete. He is a homegrown corner getting big ten looks. Nine times out of ten this would mean that he is very much deserving of a Minnesota offer. However, as stated above, we have limited scholarships and already have one (perhaps two depending on the Farrow lean) locked up. I trust Kill to get the players he needs to make his system work. If Kill doesn't want him, I wish him the best wherever he ends up.

I'll bite... I'm sorry that my snide and completely unacceptable comment caused pages upon pages of off topic banter and thus "hijacked" the thread. I should have known that only those who post three times a month or more are allowed to be witty or make (admittedly) poor attempts at jokes. I promise not to make any more posts until I have time to respond three times a month. At that point however I want you to promise me two things; 1. That you will not call me names and 2. That you will remember me. I do not think this is too much to ask.

Also, because I mainly read DpoHole for the insight. I will do my best to offer mine (of which I have none, remember I post less than twice a month) regarding Malik Rucker:
It seems to me that he is a very fluid athlete. He is a homegrown corner getting big ten looks. Nine times out of ten this would mean that he is very much deserving of a Minnesota offer. However, as stated above, we have limited scholarships and already have one (perhaps two depending on the Farrow lean) locked up. I trust Kill to get the players he needs to make his system work. If Kill doesn't want him, I wish him the best wherever he ends up.

Don't get me wrong, I took your post in good humor. I was defending myself against knobs like LongTimeGopher. Him criticizing me is like the guy who sits on the end of the bench and plays every 5th game ripping on Reggie Jackson because he strikes out a lot.

Rucker added a NIU offer yesterday, so he is now up to 4 DI-A offers. Kill is going to dick around and lose this kid if he is not careful. He is not going to do better than a local kid who has multiple BCS offers, is clearly a Big Ten athlete, and actually wants to be a Gopher. We need to get this kid under wraps and move on to worrying about recruiting other positions before it's too late.

frozengopher said:
"Useless" is ambiguous and arbitrary. I think I speak for quite a few posters who are unwilling to speak up to you because they either are too mature to to do so, don't have the time, or both (That's right, I'm immature. Revel in that admission, as I'm sure you are/will). I appreciate input from quite a few on this site, and then there's you, with your ego which has manifested itself to massive proportions due to delusions of importance stemming from a trip to an airport over a year ago and researching/analyzing all naysayers into the ground at a blitzkrieg pace.

It's really as simple as this: You are completely and utterly obsessed with yourself and how much smarter you are than almost everyone else on this site in regards to general intelligence. If you weren't a complete jackhole and didn't lord your self perceived superiority over people who you thought were lesser than you, or people you wrote off as idiots because of their perspective, I wouldn't say a damn thing to you. Unfortunately, you're one of the reasons that people remain lurkers. You may be a huge microphone for our Gopher teams, but you intimidate the piss out of people you don't agree with, and no one of significance raises their voice to you because they either rise above it all, unlike myself, or you ostracize them into submission.

Me? I'll speak up for those who have the audacity to write something that can just be ignored if it doesn't belong, which is what normal, well adjusted posters on forums usually do. My posts are generally in response to your asshattery to someone else, or your asshattery in general. Someone with half a brain has to, because your attitude does not help this website when that ego implodes in response to some kind of perceived wrong. Also, you are way too easy to get a rise out of.

Am I "obsessed?" Barely. At least not in the jilted lover, b(s)jm ;O) fashion. But I don't need to qualify the value of particular posts to anyone, let alone you. I'll post about Gopher football when I want to, and I will point out your flaws when I feel the need arises. Let the mods sort it out, as they likely will with this one. Outside of that, ignore me. I'm quite surprised you haven't to this point, but it always comes down to that ego and the necessity to criticize and minimize the significance of others, right?

I look forward to your scathing reply, and I'm your huckleberry (another 90's reference FTW).

Perfect. I second this.

For the "I think Kill just wants to see him in person at a camp crowd" he probably won't get that chance as by the time camps come around he will already have his favorites out of all the schools that have offered him. Memo to everyone: Sometimes, when you recruit high level athletes, you don't get a chance to bring them into camp to evaluate.

And to 'LongTimeGopher', I don't mean to sound rude, but when you say you aren't impressed by the highlights you make yourself out to sound like you don't know what the he!! you are talking about when it comes to football. The kid's highlights are very impressive, thus the 5 FBS offers before we even get into March here.

Billy Glasscock's (recruiting coordinator) email if anyone feels like telling the staff to get their @ss in gear with this kid:

[email protected]

Based on Jr Day article, sounds like Kill is going to offer him, so why wait around, fuc&ing offer already..........

For the "I think Kill just wants to see him in person at a camp crowd" he probably won't get that chance as by the time camps come around he will already have his favorites out of all the schools that have offered him. Memo to everyone: Sometimes, when you recruit high level athletes, you don't get a chance to bring them into camp to evaluate.
It's not like I've never considered the fact that he might pick other schools as his new favorites. Obviously this is true. I'm not totally in favor of the "wait till camp" idea, but it's clearly a Kill hallmark so I've chosen to go with the flow. After all, he isn't going to change based on the internet voice vote. In any case, his judiciousness didn't hurt him with MN kids in this most recent class. I'm not about to start second guessing or worrying about the decisions already, especially not with a kid who professes such a large desire to go here.

Billy Glasscock's (recruiting coordinator) email if anyone feels like telling the staff to get their @ss in gear with this kid:

[email protected]

Based on Jr Day article, sounds like Kill is going to offer him, so why wait around, fuc&ing offer already..........

Yea, this is what they need to be spending their time on. Reading e-mails from fans based on OUR opinions of who to offer when.

Yea, this is what they need to be spending their time on. Reading e-mails from fans based on OUR opinions of who to offer when.

Other than taking 5 seconds to read an email, explain what other 'time' they would be spending on such a thing? I know it's easy to think Kill and Staff are the saviours of Gopher football but clearly they may make a mistake here and there. I would say not offering an in-state kid that has offers from Iowa and Nebraska a mistake. I'm basing my opinion on common sense, not Kill's approach to recruiting.

"Useless" is ambiguous and arbitrary. I think I speak for quite a few posters who are unwilling to speak up to you because they either are too mature to to do so, don't have the time, or both (That's right, I'm immature. Revel in that admission, as I'm sure you are/will). I appreciate input from quite a few on this site, and then there's you, with your ego which has manifested itself to massive proportions due to delusions of importance stemming from a trip to an airport over a year ago and researching/analyzing all naysayers into the ground at a blitzkrieg pace.

It's really as simple as this: You are completely and utterly obsessed with yourself and how much smarter you are than almost everyone else on this site in regards to general intelligence. If you weren't a complete jackhole and didn't lord your self perceived superiority over people who you thought were lesser than you, or people you wrote off as idiots because of their perspective, I wouldn't say a damn thing to you. Unfortunately, you're one of the reasons that people remain lurkers. You may be a huge microphone for our Gopher teams, but you intimidate the piss out of people you don't agree with, and no one of significance raises their voice to you because they either rise above it all, unlike myself, or you ostracize them into submission.

Me? I'll speak up for those who have the audacity to write something that can just be ignored if it doesn't belong, which is what normal, well adjusted posters on forums usually do. My posts are generally in response to your asshattery to someone else, or your asshattery in general. Someone with half a brain has to, because your attitude does not help this website when that ego implodes in response to some kind of perceived wrong. Also, you are way too easy to get a rise out of.

Am I "obsessed?" Barely. At least not in the jilted lover, b(s)jm ;O) fashion. But I don't need to qualify the value of particular posts to anyone, let alone you. I'll post about Gopher football when I want to, and I will point out your flaws when I feel the need arises. Let the mods sort it out, as they likely will with this one. Outside of that, ignore me. I'm quite surprised you haven't to this point, but it always comes down to that ego and the necessity to criticize and minimize the significance of others, right?

I look forward to your scathing reply, and I'm your huckleberry (another 90's reference FTW).
You just summed up everything about dpodoll68 so well, 95% of the people on this board have been trying to say for months what you just said. Perfectly put.

But it's probably true. ;)

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I usually enjoy dpodoll68's posts. Yeah, sometimes I don't agree at all with what he's saying. But I think some people take him way too seriously. JMO.
You have it backwards. It's impossible to take yourself any more seriously than dpodoll68 takes himself. I've honestly never seen an ego as big as his on any message board anywhere.

I will start taking any of this "criticism" to heart the second that a poster whose opinion is worth hearing actually shares the same sentiments.

Other than taking 5 seconds to read an email, explain what other 'time' they would be spending on such a thing? I know it's easy to think Kill and Staff are the saviours of Gopher football but clearly they may make a mistake here and there. I would say not offering an in-state kid that has offers from Iowa and Nebraska a mistake. I'm basing my opinion on common sense, not Kill's approach to recruiting.

I'm not saying they don't make mistakes or that they are the saviors. I'm saying they did well with the in-state class this year and that buys them some leeway from me on other in-state recruits. I am saying that I'm not going to get worried in March when they've just proven quite capable of pulling in top in-state recruits.

And no, I don't see ANY point in having the armchair coaches here pester our actual coaches with their thoughts on recruiting. IMO, any time they spend reading unsolicited feedback from us on recruiting is a waste of time. Do you think they are not already aware of the other offers?

It appears Rucker will be on campus tonight with the staff. I assume this means his offer will be coming, in person? Lets hope.

It appears Rucker will be on campus tonight with the staff. I assume this means his offer will be coming, in person? Lets hope.

Great news if true. Could he be golden by tomorrow?

All Things Malik Rucker Thread - UPDATED (4/7) Will Visit Iowa and Iowa State

Rucker tweet:

"Received and offer to the U of M tonight #GOGOPHERS"

Go Gophers!!

Rucker tweet:

"Received and offer to the U of M tonight #GOGOPHERS"

Go Gophers!!

Great news. This is step #1, now he just needs to commit. This was only a matter of time, he is a talented kid and I hope to see him play with the Gophs.

This 2013 class isn't as dynamic as the 2012 class, but fortunately for us, it is heavy in positions of need. We obviously need to keep adding good DBs, and Brookins and Rucker are both Big 10 caliber recruits who could play either CB or S.

Well said Bob, simply put, this kid would be fun to watch roam the secondary in M&G.

So what do you think the logic was not offering him at Junior Day? Just out of curiosity. I know it doesn't matter because he got the offer, and sometimes a little waiting is good, but still.

I suspect there were 75+ kids around on Jr. day. Perhaps Coach Kill wanted to present the offer when there were less people around and he had more time to discuss the subject with Rucker. Just a guess on my part.

Top Bottom