All Things Malik Rucker Thread

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Malik Rucker: "I’ve been in Minnesota my whole life and it would be a blessing to play for them."
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/136715?referrer_id=

Malik Rucker, a 6-foot, 170-pound junior defensive back from Robbinsdale Cooper, is one of the top defensive players from the Class of 2013 in the state. Rucker attended the Minnesota Junior Day this past weekend and filled GopherHole.com on the latest on his recruitment.

Gopher Hole: How was the Minnesota Junior Day?

Malik Rucker: It was very good. When we first came in, we got an introduction from the staff. After that, we went to position meetings, where we sat and talked about what they expect from us and who they think are scholarship players and who fits the description. After that, we went on a tour, but I didn’t really get a chance to do it because I was talking to the DB coach and I talked to Coach Kill in his office.

Gopher Hole: What did they talk to you about?

Malik Rucker: Basically, about the potential offer.

Gopher Hole: Did they offer you or do you think that you might be getting an offer?

Malik Rucker: I think that I am going to get one.

Gopher Hole: What other schools are you hearing from right now besides Minnesota?

Malik Rucker: I have offers from South Dakota State and North Dakota and I am hearing from Nebraska, who basically told me to come down there and they’ll offer me. They just want to get in contact with me in person. Iowa said the same thing. I am going to Iowa State this weekend and Iowa. I went to Wisconsin’s Junior Day. I am talking to Washington, Oklahoma State, Michigan State and Connecticut. I am talking to a lot of schools.

Gopher Hole: Did you go to many football camps last summer?

Malik Rucker: I didn’t go to any camps.

Gopher Hole: Do you know what camps you want to go to this summer?

Malik Rucker: I am going to the Five Star Showcase in April in Cincinnati. I am going to try to go to Michigan State and the U of M. I’m not really sure. I’ve been told to go to a few of them.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to you to get an offer from Minnesota?

Malik Rucker: It would mean a lot because I grew up being a Gopher fan. I’ve been in Minnesota my whole life and it would be a blessing to play for them.

Gopher Hole: If they did offer you, do you think that you might even commit or do you want to look at other schools besides Minnesota?

Malik Rucker: I’m not sure yet. I don’t think that I would commit right away, but they would be on my top list. That is for a fact

Gopher Hole: What position are most schools looking at you playing in college?

Malik Rucker: Corner.

Gopher Hole: Are you playing on the offensive side this season for Cooper?

Malik Rucker: I’m playing wide receiver.

Gopher Hole: What are the expectations for Cooper this upcoming season? I know that you were a young team last year.

Malik Rucker: State.

Gopher Hole: Have you been working together this winter to get ready for next fall?

Malik Rucker: We have been going at it and being competitive with each other. We just push each other, so I think that we will be pretty good. We have three DBs (myself, LeRoy Taylor and Billy Kellogg) coming back and we were all at the U of M Junior Day, so that is good.

Gopher Hole: What do you see as your strengths as a player?

Malik Rucker: Reading plays and getting to the ball.

Gopher Hole: What about things you want to work on to improve yourself as a player?

Malik Rucker: Make more big plays.

Gopher Hole: Do you think that playing wide receiver helps you as a defensive back because you know what receiver are going to do or try to do against you?

Malik Rucker: Yes. I am pretty sure that I know most of the route that these receivers are going to run. I can tell most of the time. I want to work on my man coverage. I need to get better at everything. The main thing is to make bigger plays.

Gopher Hole: How did the Gophers leave things when you left on Saturday?

Malik Rucker: Basically, just come to spring practice. Come around as much as I can. Keep in contact with Coach Kill. Basically, just keep in contact and make sure I come up there during spring practice and get in meetings with them and come to the camp.

Gopher Hole: They received a commitment from Keelon Brookins of Tartan over the weekend. Do you know him.

Malik Rucker: I talked to him at the Junior Day. I think that we used to run track against each other.

Gopher Hole: Are playing any other sports at Cooper?

Malik Rucker: I am running track this year. The 100 , 200 and maybe 400.

Gopher Hole: Do you think that helps you a lot that you run track since speed is very important to a defensive back?

Malik Rucker: Yes. I think it helps a lot, especially with my downhill speed and attacking the ball.

Gopher Hole: Do you come from a sports or football family?

Malik Rucker: My dad (Charles) and my brother (Xavier) played at Nebraska. My cousin played at Iowa State. His name is Alexander Robinson (a former running back from DeLaSalle). Bryce McNeal is my cousin.

Gopher Hole: Are you also working on getting stronger?

Malik Rucker: Yes. I am getting stronger. It is just the weight thing. I work out every day and I get stronger, but it is hard for me to put on the weight.

Dang, he is one fluid athlete (first time I've seen him), and physical. He could use some work on his tackling technique, but that's coachable, and again, he looks physical as all get out, especially for only being 170 pounds (listed).

I don't know what the staff is waiting for. Get this kid sewn up before he has a bunch of helmet school offers.

I don't know what the staff is waiting for. Get this kid sewn up before he has a bunch of helmet school offers.

With their preference to see kids work out in person when possible before offering I think we might end up saying this a bunch. :)

With their preference to see kids work out in person when possible before offering I think we might end up saying this a bunch. :)

I agree, offers will be hard to come by for this class, but I still think Rucker gets one this spring. When is the last time we've gotten a CB from Minnesota out of high school, let alone two?

I agree, offers will be hard to come by for this class, but I still think Rucker gets one this spring. When is the last time we've gotten a CB from Minnesota out of high school, let alone two?

The last homegrown Minnesota commit at CB was Fletcher Terrell out of St. Louis Park in 2002. I don't know if he ever played a game for the Gophers.

"It would mean a lot because I grew up being a Gopher fan. I’ve been in Minnesota my whole life and it would be a blessing to play for them."

And he's talented? Sounds good to me, sign him up lol.

Malik Rucker: It would mean a lot because I grew up being a Gopher fan. I’ve been in Minnesota my whole life and it would be a blessing to play for them.

This is awesome to hear! These are the kind of kids we need from Minnesota!

To be fair, if we offered every in-state kid who said he was getting interest from other Big Ten schools, we'd be offering about 30 kids. Kill has shown that he is more than willing to be the first to offer a kid (as he did with Brookins) so I don't think there will ever be a problem where a Minnesota kid gets a Nebraska or Iowa offer and doesn't get one from us.

If they were 100% sure he was a Big Ten-quality player, they would have offered him already. They certainly aren't waiting for anyone else.

If they were 100% sure he was a Big Ten-quality player, they would have offered him already. They certainly aren't waiting for anyone else.

I don't necessarily think that's true, though. As it's already been stated, he has a policy of wanting to see kids perform in person before offering. Enema has the same policy. I personally think it's kind of stupid. Just my opinion. He obviously has reasons for doing it that he has developed over decades of coaching. It makes sense to me in borderline situations, but Rucker is an obvious no-brainer Big Ten football player. You can watch the video for about 15 seconds and see that.

This staff appears to do a lot of homework on recruits before extending offers. You very well could be right, but it could also be that they are checking where he's at academically and character-wise prior to offering. I've heard Kill talk extensively about not wanting to make recruiting mistakes.

Dpodoll

2012 is going to be a very difficult and challenging year to properly manage the very limited number of scholarships that are available. In an ordinary year where you have 20+ scholarships available I would say you are absolutely right, sign him up now. But with as few as 10 scholarships available this year (Theoretical worst case), they have to be very careful. The good news is that he has a very strong interest in Minnesota and if he coming to camp this summer we are still in a very good position to sign him if they want to do that.

I am looking forward to see how they manage the challenge of limited available scholarships this year. I have the greatest respect for Kill and his staff in their ability to do this. It should be very educational and interesting to see how it unfolds. Some of the challenges they have this year are:

• They need to define their needs accurately now but I expect that want to leave room for outstanding players at non critical need positions if they become available.
  • Recruiting takes time. They are just beginning to establish relationships with the recruits. They probably don’t have really that good of a read on who is interested in Minnesota and who isn’t. They also need time to determine which recruits best meets their needs. This is done through summer camps, senior year football results, visits to the campus etc. More time.
  • I also suspect that Minnesota’s recruiting success this year will be at least partially effected by how well the 2012 team plays this fall. If they show improving results, a nice buzz factor will certainly help in recruiting. We won’t know if this occurs until this fall.

Dpodoll, you certainly may be right but it is complicated and not necessarily that clear. That is why they need to take their time with so few scholarships available.

The only two Minnesota players we have offered so far for this class are Brookins and Jame Onwualu. KJ is right, they need to be very selective this year. You don't want to be in a position where you offer someone early who accepts, and then have to turn away someone else later on. They will probably only take 2 corners in this entire class, and it will be interesting to see if James Farrow is somehow in the mix as well.

+1

The last homegrown Minnesota commit at CB was Fletcher Terrell out of St. Louis Park in 2002. I don't know if he ever played a game for the Gophers.

What about Marcus Sherrels? Michael Lehan was good, I think he might've been before 2002 though.

2012 is going to be a very difficult and challenging year to properly manage the very limited number of scholarships that are available. In an ordinary year where you have 20+ scholarships available I would say you are absolutely right, sign him up now. But with as few as 10 scholarships available this year (Theoretical worst case), they have to be very careful. The good news is that he has a very strong interest in Minnesota and if he coming to camp this summer we are still in a very good position to sign him if they want to do that.

I am looking forward to see how they manage the challenge of limited available scholarships this year. I have the greatest respect for Kill and his staff in their ability to do this. It should be very educational and interesting to see how it unfolds. Some of the challenges they have this year are:

• They need to define their needs accurately now but I expect that want to leave room for outstanding players at non critical need positions if they become available.
  • Recruiting takes time. They are just beginning to establish relationships with the recruits. They probably don’t have really that good of a read on who is interested in Minnesota and who isn’t. They also need time to determine which recruits best meets their needs. This is done through summer camps, senior year football results, visits to the campus etc. More time.
  • I also suspect that Minnesota’s recruiting success this year will be at least partially effected by how well the 2012 team plays this fall. If they show improving results, a nice buzz factor will certainly help in recruiting. We won’t know if this occurs until this fall.

Dpodoll, you certainly may be right but it is complicated and not necessarily that clear. That is why they need to take their time with so few scholarships available.

I agree that an extensive amount of scouting needs to take place before offering a kid at a non-need position, but I also think Rucker is a talented in-state prospect that we can't miss out on. Personally, I would have offered Rucker at Junior Days, but I trust Coach Kill. He obviously has his reasons for not offering Rucker yet.

What about Marcus Sherrels? Michael Lehan was good, I think he might've been before 2002 though.

Sherels was a walk-on for Mason as a WR and was switched to Corner right before the 08 season I believe.

Kid is a stud, I'm with Dpo, get this kid a fuc&ing offe. I don't care if we only have 12-15 to give out.

He's saying all the things Gopher fans want to hear, but we all know quick that can change with High School kids.

One thing that is good is that McNeal is his cousin. Bryce saw first hand what usually happens to MN preps who leave the state looking for greener pastures. When you stay home to play for the home team there are more influences within the program to help you succeed. Everyone always wants to see the hometown kid do good.

To be fair, if we offered every in-state kid who said he was getting interest from other Big Ten schools, we'd be offering about 30 kids. Kill has shown that he is more than willing to be the first to offer a kid (as he did with Brookins) so I don't think there will ever be a problem where a Minnesota kid gets a Nebraska or Iowa offer and doesn't get one from us.

If they were 100% sure he was a Big Ten-quality player, they would have offered him already.
They certainly aren't waiting for anyone else.

Not really. One of the ploys instate coaches use to "devalue" potential recruits is to withhold a offer. The theory is neighboring schools will not be in a hurry to offer if there is no competition. Here is the problem with that.

You guys have heard me for years comment on the dislike former city athletes from the 80's have toward the u because we believed the U ignored us. Well the gift keeps on giving...Maliks dad Charles is a good friend of mine and yes he was not offered a scholarship by the U....funny Nebraska had no problem offering him one? Anyway, the Dad is already indifferent to the U, why risk making the kid indifferent?

Don't be so sure on the U not offering Mn kids that Nebraska offered; that was the rule not the exception in the 80's.

Not really. One of the ploys instate coaches use to "devalue" potential recruits is to withhold a offer. The theory is neighboring schools will not be in a hurry to offer if there is no competition. Here is the problem with that.

You guys have heard me for years comment on the dislike former city athletes from the 80's have toward the u because we believed the U ignored us. Well the gift keeps on giving...Maliks dad Charles is a good friend of mine and yes he was not offered a scholarship by the U....funny Nebraska had no problem offering him one? Anyway, the Dad is already indifferent to the U, why risk making the kid indifferent?

Don't be so sure on the U not offering Mn kids that Nebraska offered; that was the rule not the exception in the 80's.

I think that is the key to a lot of our issues. I hear people say things like "Cretin kids don't like the U" or "local athletes just don't want to go to the U". That's really not the case as much as a lot of these people are indifferent towards the U. For years, the U did a bad job of getting in with the local coaches and the local talent was a second thought. That indifference from the U was returned with indifference from a lot of the programs.

I am really glad that Kill is changing that culture and for all of Brew's bafoonery, he did help to change that culture a tad as well. However, that indifference is the problem. It's not that the kids won't consider the U, it's that for a lot of them, the U is just another team.

That's why the instate recruiting was so important this year. If McDonald and Harbison are 100% equal players, the commitment of McDonald will probably end up more important because it goes to changing the culture of the local athletes who we can't afford to be indifferent to the U.

Kid is a stud, I'm with Dpo, get this kid a fuc&ing offe. I don't care if we only have 12-15 to give out.

Agreed. I remember prior to this last NBA Draft, people were saying don't take Williams because he is not at a position of need. The Wolves Front Office didn't care, because TALENT was an area of need. They chose to add talent over filling a need. Similar situation here. I say give him an offer!

Not agreeing or disagreeing with this statement but my Mom was in the same graduating class as a guy who got a scholarship to play QB at Nebraska. From what I understand the U didn't even look at him.

You are just absolutely, completely wrong on this. In the age of nearly unlimited internet access to recruits and game film, an in-state school not offering has no bearing on what another school will do. None.

Top Bottom