All Things JP Macura Thread UPDATED 7/11: GOPHERS offer JP!

Won't matter in end cause I seriously doubt he goes to U even if he gets offered now.

Have you not read any of the comments he has made about the U and Pitino?

For the second time this week Butler has extended an offer to a 2014 guard. Earlier it was Devin Mitchell, this time it is JP Macura. Macura, a shooting guard from Lakeville North (Minnesota), received his offer while attending the Butler camp earlier today. The 6’4″ sharp-shooter has offers from Kansas State and Boston College as well as several mid-majors.

Macura is best know for his ability to put up points in a hurry from the perimeter. His NBA range and quick release make him difficult to guard. This past year he has also expanded his game more and has become better at creating off the dribble and finishing at the rim. He finished the season 5th in scoring in the state of Minnesota, averaging 25.4 points per game as a junior.

I agree with you I think if he gets a Gopher offer he will be a Gopher, it seems to me like he is just waiting and hoping for a Gopher offer right now.

IMO Coach P. is waiting on Vaughn and Travis. Once those situations are resolved, J.P. makes us proud and choses to wear the maroon and gold.

Have you not read any of the comments he has made about the U and Pitino?

For the second time this week Butler has extended an offer to a 2014 guard. Earlier it was Devin Mitchell, this time it is JP Macura. Macura, a shooting guard from Lakeville North (Minnesota), received his offer while attending the Butler camp earlier today. The 6’4″ sharp-shooter has offers from Kansas State and Boston College as well as several mid-majors.

Macura is best know for his ability to put up points in a hurry from the perimeter. His NBA range and quick release make him difficult to guard. This past year he has also expanded his game more and has become better at creating off the dribble and finishing at the rim. He finished the season 5th in scoring in the state of Minnesota, averaging 25.4 points per game as a junior.

Yes I have also read about what he says about right fit. Would like to see it happen but would bet money it doesn't even if we get around to an offer. I do know they are not sitting around waiting on Gophers. I highly doubt you will see Gophers offer and Macura accepts same day if it happens. Just an opinion.

IMO Coach P. is waiting on Vaughn and Travis. Once those situations are resolved, J.P. makes us proud and choses to wear the maroon and gold.

According to ESPN, we've offered 8 (I added Whitehead) 4/5- star guard prospects in 2014. No opinion as to weather or not we should offer JP, but from what I can tell JP is waiting behind answers from a couple guards.

And from the other post, he may be waiting to get JP and others in here next month to decide if he wants to offer-

Pitino on upcoming summer schedule...We're in a different situation taking over a new program. Normally you ahve a couple of camps in June. We're only going to have one day camp because we got in so late. Next year we'll have 2-3 camps and we'll do it right. In July we have a couple of evaluation periods. It's a good opportunity to watch 20-30 kids. Come August and September we'll bring in kids for visits.

According to ESPN, we've offered 8 (I added Whitehead) 4/5- star guard prospects in 2014. No opinion as to weather or not we should offer JP, but from what I can tell JP is waiting behind answers from a couple guards.

I'm sure you're right. IMO if we sign Vaughn, that clears the way for J.P. or Cohen. If we don't sign Vaughn, things get very complicated. I like the latter two, but need a program changer first.

Assuming there are 4 scholarships available next year, it would be great to see a class of Vaughn, Travis, Macura, and one more SG/SF.

Assuming there are 4 scholarships available next year, it would be great to see a class of Vaughn, Travis, Macura, and one more SG/SF.

I'd rather see Sandy Cohen than a SG/SF. Cohen can play the 1 in addition to the 2 or the 3. Getting those 4 is pretty much my ideal class for 2014 at this point.

I'm sure you're right. IMO if we sign Vaughn, that clears the way for J.P. or Cohen. If we don't sign Vaughn, things get very complicated. I like the latter two, but need a program changer first.

I agree. Reminds me of predicting the first round of a draft- after one player goes, it changes the outcome of the entire round (in this case a team's class). It seems it would matter WHO commits to us weather we offer JP or not.

Without signing a center this year, they absolutely have to have one for 2014 or they go into 2015 without any experience at all, Tubby did it with Sampson and Iverson, but I highly doubt Pitino wants to enter his third year that way.

I'd rather see Sandy Cohen than a SG/SF. Cohen can play the 1 in addition to the 2 or the 3. Getting those 4 is pretty much my ideal class for 2014 at this point.

I agree. Cohen or Whitehead would finish that class off nicely. Listing positions didnt work. I would like to see a tall guard that is capable of executing off the dribble in a fast paced offense but still has the height to not put the Gophers at a disadvantage when playing in a 3 guard lineup. Cohen being 6'5" fits that perfectly.

Yeah, Whitehead would obviously be nice, but I don't think he'll ultimately come here. Syracuse (esp for a NYer) and Louisville are much too attractive.

Without signing a center this year, they absolutely have to have one for 2014 or they go into 2015 without any experience at all, Tubby did it with Sampson and Iverson, but I highly doubt Pitino wants to enter his third year that way.

The Gopher may be able to get a center as well since they could very well have 5 scholarships next year. Although Buggs, Travis and a 3 guard lineup may suffice. Assuming Travis is really 6'8".

The Gopher may be able to get a center as well since they could very well have 5 scholarships next year. Although Buggs, Travis and a 3 guard lineup may suffice. Assuming Travis is really 6'8".

Not in the B1G. Need a center if you want to run. We have 4 scholarships. Coach P. has a very good idea how the 5th year scholarships will play out for Oto and Huge Mo. There will be enough to get the job done.

no doubt the coach is waiting on hearing from others...but that doesn't mean JP is. There are some impressive coaches and schools proving that they want him.

no doubt the coach is waiting on hearing from others...but that doesn't mean JP is. There are some impressive coaches and schools proving that they want him.

You sound like JP's relative or something.

Come on, man, it's perfectly reasonable for the new staff to take their time evaluating Macura, and they certainly have that time. It's only June and they just got here. Macura's a nice prospect but as of now he's not in the Rivals 150 and he had virtually no high major offers a couple months ago.

Now if we haven't offered by the end of the summer, then I can see Macura getting irritated and maybe jumping the gun. But frankly Minnesota is going to be his best option and he's probably going to get an offer eventually, so be patient. The worst that could happen is for him to commit elsewhere, before Vaughn and Whitehead make their decisions, and then if the latter two don't come here we're left with Plan D. I think Macura will end up here and it's a great fit, so I hope he's patient.

You sound like JP's relative or something.

Come on, man, it's perfectly reasonable for the new staff to take their time evaluating Macura, and they certainly have that time. It's only June and they just got here. Macura's a nice prospect but as of now he's not in the Rivals 150 and he had virtually no high major offers a couple months ago.

Now if we haven't offered by the end of the summer, then I can see Macura getting irritated and maybe jumping the gun. But frankly Minnesota is going to be his best option and he's probably going to get an offer eventually, so be patient. The worst that could happen is for him to commit elsewhere, before Vaughn and Whitehead make their decisions, and then if the latter two don't come here we're left with Plan D. I think Macura will end up here and it's a great fit, so I hope he's patient.

No not at all just a fan like I assume you are. Don't know where you are coming from. I've stated I like what Pitino is doing and love that he is shooting high on recruiting. We don't know what is right for him or his family only they do. I don't think saying yes to Brad Stevens and Butler qualifies as an "irritated" jumping the gun decision. Pretty good offer I doubt that they haven't offered others also. At some point some one says yes and then offers get pulled. But if he waits around maybe everyone says no and he can be plan D at the U? Forget bball maybe Butler is a better fit for a school. Who knows? Not any of us on this board.

I moved up here two years ago, ironically to the Lakeville North school district.

Quick question for anyone who knows, how is JP's name pronounced? is it Mack-oo-ra or Mack-er-a? Thanks in advance!

With all of this being said I think it would be great to land JP as he would most likely be here for 4 years. Look at what Wisconsin has done with some of these recruits that aren't highly rated, but they stay for 4 years, learn the system, and be come solid players. Brusewitz, Brust, Gasser, Evans. Macura could solidify our lineup for a few years and maybe be an anchor.

With all of this being said I think it would be great to land JP as he would most likely be here for 4 years. Look at what Wisconsin has done with some of these recruits that aren't highly rated, but they stay for 4 years, learn the system, and be come solid players. Brusewitz, Brust, Gasser, Evans. Macura could solidify our lineup for a few years and maybe be an anchor.

+1

Take Vaughn and Macura for the SG position. Vaughn starts in 2014, Macura's got a shot the next 3 years.

+1

Take Vaughn and Macura for the SG position. Vaughn starts in 2014, Macura's got a shot the next 3 years.

That's why taking Vaughn & Muh-koo-ra, two SG in the same class makes sense. Vaughn is a one and done lock in my book.

Top Bottom