All Things JP Macura Thread UPDATED 7/11: GOPHERS offer JP!

Seems like big name schools are more interested in JP than a lot of Gopherholers.

I'm starting to think we should just offer this kid. We are likely going to have 4 scholarships next year and then 5 the following year. Plenty of open scholarships for Pitino to go for the home run recruit. JP seems like he'd be a really solid addition.

Yeah, but he gave up more points on defense than he made on offense... He was one of the laziest defenders I've seen put on a Gopher uniform.

Westbrook could stroke it from 3 too. That kid could score.

It looks like you are right. What I saw on film didn't make me go "Wow", but obviously he's impressing the people that really count. Like I said in my first post here, if he grows another couple inches I would be much more inclined to push for him. At present, I wonder how he fits with a pressing style of basketball.

Seems like big name schools are more interested in JP than a lot of Gopherholers.

Missouri and several others are interested but have not yet offered. I do think Minnesota should and will offer. Most staffs are waiting to see those match ups where a quick,athletic 6'6 kid plays him tight and makes him put it on the floor. That is what he will see in every game in a major conference. The flip side is what is his ability to defend those types? Some have already concluded he has shown enough.

I'm starting to think we should just offer this kid. We are likely going to have 4 scholarships next year and then 5 the following year. Plenty of open scholarships for Pitino to go for the home run recruit. JP seems like he'd be a really solid addition.

Is JP a little shorter version of Joey King? Could the decision on King affect the Macura offer?

Do you see that picture? That's enough to tell you he's far more athletic than Hoffarber or Abu-Shamala. Is he only allowed to be compared to other white shooters?

Um. . . no, I was comparing him to two players whose biggest assets were there abilities to shoot. Does it matter that Abu Shamala was Jordanian and Palestinian. Is his pigment dark enough to where I can compare him to Macura without it being because of race?

(white gophers players)?

Answer: Stupidity.

They're comparing him to other players who are spot up shooters. Just so happens that they're white. I don't see people comparing him to Colton Iverson, Chris Halvorsen, Travis Busch, etc. People seem to be comparing him to wings who are sharp shooters. Yeah, how stupid.

Missouri and several others are interested but have not yet offered. I do think Minnesota should and will offer. Most staffs are waiting to see those match ups where a quick,athletic 6'6 kid plays him tight and makes him put it on the floor. That is what he will see in every game in a major conference. The flip side is what is his ability to defend those types? Some have already concluded he has shown enough.

That doesn't concern me very much. Our offense will not be about JP creating his own shot. It's all about the pick and roll, and the drive and kick. Plus, how many quick, athletic, 6'6 defenders do teams have? I have a hunch that most team's best defender will be occupied with another SG from the class of 2014 :)

That doesn't concern me very much. Our offense will not be about JP creating his own shot. It's all about the pick and roll, and the drive and kick. Plus, how many quick, athletic, 6'6 defenders do teams have? I have a hunch that most team's best defender will be occupied with another SG from the class of 2014 :)

balds, I'm in agreement with your previous post recommending we offer J.P. ASAP. My best guess is we will have at least 5 scholarships for the class of 2014. IMO no need to wait.

The white part was a joke. Obviously it's tough to convey tone though, so you had know way of knowing. In all seriousness though... do you see that picture? How can you honestly look at that and say he's slightly more athletic than Hoffarber? That's ridiculous.

Um. . . no, I was comparing him to two players whose biggest assets were there abilities to shoot. Does it matter that Abu Shamala was Jordanian and Palestinian. Is his pigment dark enough to where I can compare him to Macura without it being because of race?

I went to see Tyus play at Lakeville North this past school year and new nothing about JP. It was a great game and the best player on the court was JP. Apple Valley was physical with him from the start of the game until the end and JP was able to keep his cool. He knew they were trying to frustrate him. He will get beat up every night his senior year as he is clearly the go to guy on his team.

He is a scoring machine from anywhere. He looks for the shot on every possession. Difficult to explain, but he isn't a ball handler, but was able to get just enough separation to create his own shot. Would like to see him in Maroon and Gold.

The white part was a joke. Obviously it's tough to convey tone though, so you had know way of knowing. In all seriousness though... do you see that picture? How can you honestly look at that and say he's slightly more athletic than Hoffarber? That's ridiculous.
Shamala was a walk on and Hoffarber basically had Notre Dame, Minnesota offers. JP will be much more highly recruited.

balds, I'm in agreement with your previous post recommending we offer J.P. ASAP. My best guess is we will have at least 5 scholarships for the class of 2014. IMO no need to wait.

I'd bet we will have 5 scollys as well.

JP is more athletic and able to create his own shot then people who have not seen him play give him credit for.

@gopherhole: #Gophers recruit J.P. Macura will make an unofficial visit to Minnesota on May 30th, per @collegebbnews.

Go Gophers!!

Sign him up Rich. I'm tired of long, athletic guys that can't play. This guy can play and will be a thorn in the side of Big Ten teams for years to come. The ball simply goes in the basket, and he will give you 100% effort no matter what he is asked to do.

Mike Max claiming that we offered Macura, although butchered the spelling of the name:

"He’s offered scholarships to DeLaSalle sophomore point guard Jarvis Johnson and Lakeville North shooting guard J.P. McCure – who got an offer from Kansas State and could attract much attention this summer."

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/05/18/mike-maxs-news-notes-for-may-18/

Go Gophers!!

I blame autocorrect. It's a plague suffered by the human race.

They haven't offered. I don't think Max knows the difference between "recruiting" and "offered". I would like to think an offer is coming soon though. Great player.

Max is too busy shilling to keep up with the times

They haven't offered. I don't think Max knows the difference between "recruiting" and "offered". I would like to think an offer is coming soon though. Great player.

Max is too busy shilling to keep up with the times

Speaking of Max reminded me of Sid on his show this morning. He keeps shilling for Starky hearing aids. I wonder if you buy one of those if Dave Mona comes with it and he will repeat everything people say to you.

Sign him if he is a pure shooter.. every recruiting class should have one pure shooter.

Vaughn is the one we need to get.

Mike Max claiming that we offered Macura, although butchered the spelling of the name:

"He’s offered scholarships to DeLaSalle sophomore point guard Jarvis Johnson and Lakeville North shooting guard J.P. McCure – who got an offer from Kansas State and could attract much attention this summer."

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/05/18/mike-maxs-news-notes-for-may-18/

Go Gophers!!

Monter corrects Maxie, and equally butchers his name:

@collegebbnews: Contrary to reports elsewhere, Minnesota has not offered J.P. Mavua, according to his father. Macura, who will visit Minnesota on the 30th,

Go Gophers!!

Really hope they lock up J.P. Marconi. Didn't his great grandfather invent the radio?

Top Bottom