All Things JP Macura Thread UPDATED 7/11: GOPHERS offer JP!

JP Macura offered by Boston College

Ryan James ‏@RyanJamesMN
Boston College offering JP Macura gives the Lakeville North shooter two high major offers plus several others.

Verbal Commits ‏@VerbalCommits
2014 D1 Minnesota/Lakeville North SG JP Macura picked up an offer from Boston College today @jpmacura @D1Minnesota http://verbalcommits.com/players/j-p-macura

The Gopher Report ‏@TheGopherReport
#Gophers target JP Macura is visiting Butler this weekend.

Macura talked with the Boston College coaches quite a bit. "They're a great coaching staff and really nice guys!"

JP Macura just picked up an offer from Boston College. Macura visited the U of M yesterday. #Gophers

Kyle Goblirsch ‏@Gobie247
Lakeville (MN) SG JP Macura (@jpmacura) picks up an offer from Boston College today. http://247sports.com/Player/JP-Macura-28018

@D1Minnesota 2014 D1MN wing JP Macura was just offered by Butler while participating in their elite camp @jpmacura

So we had JP on campus and didn't offer?

Pitino thinks he has better options then?

I really hope we don't let this kid go and then he ends up being a Blake Hoffarber type scoring guard in college. Offer him Pitino, now's the time.

The Hoffarber comparisons should be put to rest. Totally different player. Good shooter but so much more and different. Will end up being a great slasher to the basket. Tons more athletic also.

The Hoffarber comparisons should be put to rest. Totally different player. Good shooter but so much more and different. Will end up being a great slasher to the basket. Tons more athletic also.

No, he won't. If you want to see a great slasher to the basket look at McNeil. Hopefully he can develop this part of his game, but I would guess top end would be like Austin.

No, he won't. If you want to see a great slasher to the basket look at McNeil. Hopefully he can develop this part of his game, but I would guess top end would be like Austin.

How does this work then? Yes, he will.

With all due respect to our own PG McNeil, I definitely think Macura is a better high school recruit than McNeil was, and should be a high priority. I think landing 2 of the top 4 in 2014 would make for a solid foundation.

Remember when Ian thiesen was considered the second best player in 2014, that sure seems like a while ago

Remember when Ian thiesen was considered the second best player in 2014, that sure seems like a while ago

No, but someone like THE SCOUT!!!! may have said he was. He was never better than Tyus, Rashad, or Reid. THE SCOUT!!!! thought we should offer him though and referenced his ability to see in the future several times. I guess it turns out he was lying.

Correct.

But they're both white.

And are both 6-4, and are both SGs, and both knock down perimeter jump shots, and could both be Gophers... That's enough for at least a TINY bit of comparison.

And are both 6-4, and are both SGs, and both knock down perimeter jump shots, and could both be Gophers... That's enough for at least a TINY bit of comparison.

Additionally. . .
They are both from MN (Metro Area to be exact)
They are both guys whose biggest question marks were athleticism.

I don't think Macura and Hoff are exact comparisons either, but the notion that people are only comparing the two because of similar pigment is weird.

I get it, I think it's weird whenever every white WR is compared to Decker (regardless of stye of play and physical attributes).

However, most people view Macura as a dead eye shooter. That's how he is described nationally just about every time his name is brought up. So why would it be a racial thing to compare Macura to a similar sized, similar positioned kid who most recently played for the U? It isn't.

With all due respect to our own PG McNeil, I definitely think Macura is a better high school recruit than McNeil was, and should be a high priority. I think landing 2 of the top 4 in 2014 would make for a solid foundation.

He probably is a more highly coveted recruit. But it's also a difficult comparison (comparing signing a kid in April/May) and being able to recruit someone for a year.

We'll see what happens. I think McNeil will do well (Pitino obviously really likes him) and he will be more of a fit than our current roster.

Than he would have been listed at 6'-5" and there is no way, I've been by him several times. You must have a different standard for what is considered dunking, seen plenty of idiots at the gym release the ball at the rim and then pull on the rim and think they can dunk...

JP can dunk very easily. I watched him have a few pretty impressive in game dunks in traffic. This kid needs to be in maroon and gold.

No, but someone like THE SCOUT!!!! may have said he was. He was never better than Tyus, Rashad, or Reid. THE SCOUT!!!! thought we should offer him though and referenced his ability to see in the future several times. I guess it turns out he was lying.

ian thiesen was more highly reguarded then reid travis and rashad during his 8th grade and freshman campaign, rashad and reid didnt take off until their sophmore year's, ian like tyus made varsity and contributed as an 8th grader

Do we know anything about how his visit to campus went?

There were legitimate questions about Hoffarber's athleticism. Who is concerned about Macura's?

Additionally. . .
They are both from MN (Metro Area to be exact)
They are both guys whose biggest question marks were athleticism.

I don't think Macura and Hoff are exact comparisons either, but the notion that people are only comparing the two because of similar pigment is weird.

I get it, I think it's weird whenever every white WR is compared to Decker (regardless of stye of play and physical attributes).

However, most people view Macura as a dead eye shooter. That's how he is described nationally just about every time his name is brought up. So why would it be a racial thing to compare Macura to a similar sized, similar positioned kid who most recently played for the U? It isn't.

Just people that haven't seen him play. Awhile back someone wanted to wait until he started getting big offers before we offered. BC, Kansas State, Butler now. Oh well I love what Pitino is doing cause he is shooting high but we should have went after this kid. Worth the price of admission. Can't wait for Friday night to watch the Clash. Everyone will see JP fits right in with the big 4. Won't matter in end cause I seriously doubt he goes to U even if he gets offered now.

And they both have a left foot and a right foot. :)

Just people that haven't seen him play. Awhile back someone wanted to wait until he started getting big offers before we offered. BC, Kansas State, Butler now. Oh well I love what Pitino is doing cause he is shooting high but we should have went after this kid. Worth the price of admission. Can't wait for Friday night to watch the Clash. Everyone will see JP fits right in with the big 4. Won't matter in end cause I seriously doubt he goes to U even if he gets offered now.

Don't bet money on it.

Top Bottom