All Things JP Macura Thread UPDATED 7/11: GOPHERS offer JP!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> hoops news, per source: Lakeville North's JP Macura, Class of 2014, just met with Pitino. Expect an offer to come very, very soon.</p>— Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/statuses/349966068393062401">June 26, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> hoops news, per source: Lakeville North's JP Macura, Class of 2014, just met with Pitino. Expect an offer to come very, very soon.</p>— Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/statuses/349966068393062401">June 26, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Damn that was quick, beat me to it!

Hmm... Pitino must be following our threads. That can be the only explanation for this!

In all seriousness though, well done by Pitino, seems like he knows what he's doing. Hopefully this doesn't mean we have started to miss out on other top prospects though.

Hmm... Pitino must be following our threads. That can be the only explanation for this!

In all seriousness though, well done by Pitino, seems like he knows what he's doing. Hopefully this doesn't mean we have started to miss out on other top prospects though.

Exactly what I was thinking - Pitino is definitely reading our threads - And I hope it doesn't mean we have started to miss on other guys!

Especially when places who want u are arguably better programs anyway.

Name me a school who has offered him, who, standing alone, is a better program than Minnesota? K St? FL St? Iowa St? Please. I will give you Butler, but as soon as Stevens gets bored there they go back to their place in the CBB world. The U of Minnesota, standing alone, is better than any of his offer schools, and is a better program than anyone on that list outside of Butler at the present time.

Name me a school who has offered him, who, standing alone, is a better program than Minnesota? K St? FL St? Iowa St? Please. I will give you Butler, but as soon as Stevens gets bored there they go back to their place in the CBB world. The U of Minnesota, standing alone, is better than any of his offer schools, and is a better program than anyone on that list outside of Butler at the present time.

If we are talking about recently then K-State has a strong argument as a better program.

FSU & ISU are on the exact same level as us for basketball (both have 14 tourney appearances and 1 Final 4)... KSU is better than us, 26 appearances & 4 Final 4s

Update - KSU all Final 4s were too long ago to matter

Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) tweeted at 3:01 PM on Wed, Jun 26, 2013:
JP Macura is officially visiting Butler tomorrow. Was offered by Xavier earlier in the week, recently visited Kansas State, at MN now.

Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) tweeted at 3:01 PM on Wed, Jun 26, 2013:
JP Macura is officially visiting Butler tomorrow. Was offered by Xavier earlier in the week, recently visited Kansas State, at MN now.

Perfect time to offer... Right before he visits Butler!

If there isn't an offer.....we will be hearing Nate Wolters comments about JP for four more years. Ufdah.

I actually got a tweet from Ryan James as well saying that he doesn't think it will even matter if we give him the offer.....

I actually got a tweet from Ryan James as well saying that he doesn't think it will even matter if we give him the offer.....

James just stated on GI that he hears many people close to the situation expect Macura to commit to Butler on the visit tomorrow.

James also tweeted that Pitino hasn't seen Macura play a live game yet. It's clear Macura just hasn't been as big of a priority as other wings in this class. Rich is shooting for the stars it seems.

Well, that is frustrating. I think that Pitino should have offered him when he came in for a visit. Why he didn't is puzzling. I'd much rather have a little lower ranked in state kid then a little higher ranked out of state guy. It's also frustrating that Pitino talks about how much he needs three point shooters, but doesn't offer what seems to be the best sharpshooter in the state, who also is a pretty athletically gifted guy as well. I don't know. I just think we may look at Macura in 2 or 3 years and say "damn, we shoulda got that kid."

Assuming rankings = potential = results on the court......

Why? I'm not against signing JP because he sounds like a player. But give me the most talented kids regardless of where they live now. Once they are in maroon and gold, that is all I care about.

Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) tweeted at 4:07 PM on Wed, Jun 26, 2013:
Clarification: Pitino not on campus. Conversations w/ Macura have been by phone. Ben Johnson led him around. Macura was on campus. #gophers

Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) tweeted at 4:08 PM on Wed, Jun 26, 2013:
(con.) Overall point still stands: a #Gophers offer to Macura is expected soon. As @RyanJamesMN reports, Macura visiting Butler tomorrow.

Where would u go - someplace that really wants u or some place that doesn't really want u but is willing to settle for u as worse case scenario? Especially when places who want u are arguably better programs anyway. Given his options, I know what I would say. "Yea, thanks but...." If Pitino really wanted him, he would have offered by now.
Been through the recruiting situation and if the place where I really wanted to go would have came to me late and offered me after missing on someone else it wouldn't have mattered to me at all that other schools where involved more before and I would have chose the school I really wanted to be at regardless of when they got involved.
Being a Minnesota kid and if he has grown up wanting to go to Minnesota then I could see it not really mattering when he gets the offer, however some guys are different and really want to feel like the top priority and if that is the case I could see Macura ending up somewhere else.

Yeah, I'm not really that concerned if the kid is from here. It's more of a preference thing for me, like "Oh, it'd be nice to have a few", but if we have zero Minnesotans on the squad but the team is ballin and representing the U as well as they can, then I couldn't care less about where they came from. Dre Hollins isn't from here, but I couldn't be happier that he's here, and it appears he's really embraced the area and the University. That's what's really important to me, moreso than the hometown they list.

If Pitino has other priorities ahead of JP, I can't be mad at him for trying to get the best players he feels that he can. If Macura ends up committing to Butler this weekend or whatever, then that'll stink, but you move on. Obviously if he's a little more patient, lets things play out a bit, who knows what could happen at that point.

Assuming rankings = potential = results on the court......

Why? I'm not against signing JP because he sounds like a player. But give me the most talented kids regardless of where they live now. Once they are in maroon and gold, that is all I care about.

I believe that it sets a precedent that we keep our in state guys. I think getting Minnesota guys causes a chain reaction of sorts. If other top recruits from Minnesota watch Minnesota guys winning here they will be more likely to stay. I just think that it sends a good message as well, if you don't recruit your instate talent you chances of getting guys down the road goes down. Atleast that is what I like to think

I believe that it sets a precedent that we keep our in state guys. I think getting Minnesota guys causes a chain reaction of sorts. If other top recruits from Minnesota watch Minnesota guys winning here they will be more likely to stay. I just think that it sends a good message as well, if you don't recruit your instate talent you chances of getting guys down the road goes down. Atleast that is what I like to think

I think that's a fair point. But using your logic, you could also say, "What would happen if a guy like Isaiah Whitehead went to Minnesota!" A legit five star player from the East Coast. That could also be an eye opener for recruits elsewhere that wouldn't even have considered us previously. Obviously, the 2014 and 2015 Minnesota classes are really legit, but typically we will need players from elsewhere to really compete at the level that all of us would like them to. (to supplement the one or two Minnesota kids)

I think that's a fair point. But using your logic, you could also say, "What would happen if a guy like Isaiah Whitehead went to Minnesota!" A legit five star player from the East Coast. That could also be an eye opener for recruits elsewhere that wouldn't even have considered us previously. Obviously, the 2014 and 2015 Minnesota classes are really legit, but typically we will need players from elsewhere to really compete at the level that all of us would like them to. (to supplement the one or two Minnesota kids)

Don't get me wrong, establishing recruiting hubs elsewhere is just as important. I should just clarify, getting the top D1 talent out of your own state is very important. Also, it seems as though Pitino and Young know how to recruit on the East Coast. I was just saying that Macura is definitely talented enough to warrant him getting a scholarship offer, and the fact that he is from instate means that it is even more important.

FWIW, I heard from my reliable, yet second hand source, that it's Butler. Not 100%, but very, very likely.

James also tweeted that Pitino hasn't seen Macura play a live game yet. It's clear Macura just hasn't been as big of a priority as other wings in this class. Rich is shooting for the stars it seems.

There were only two evaluation weekends since Pitino became head coach.

Ben Johnson has watched.

In the Strib All-Metro basketball section, Vaughn said that his favorite MN HS player to watch was JP. Said something to the effect of he is a scoring machine. JP signing here might be a positive in our recruitment of Vaughn. A solid PG, JP and Vaughn would be a solid combo.

per 1500: Gophers meet with Lakeville North standout shooting guard J.P. Macura

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...ts_with_Lakeville_North_guard_JP_Macura062613

Go Gophers!!

Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) tweeted at 4:08 PM on Wed, Jun 26, 2013:
(con.) Overall point still stands: a #Gophers offer to Macura is expected soon. As @RyanJamesMN reports, Macura visiting Butler tomorrow.

Sounds like we're going to offer soon? I'll be interested to see if what happens in the next couple of days. Hopefully we can land this kid, I think he could turn in to a good 4 year player for us.

I'm fine with passing on him as long as Pitino gets someone better. If he lets him go to Butler and doesn't have someone in his back pocket, it will look bad.

I'm fine with passing on him as long as Pitino gets someone better. If he lets him go to Butler and doesn't have someone in his back pocket, it will look bad.

Under this regime, and most regimes, recruiting is way more difficult than just convincing kids to come here. It's not football, you only get 3 or 4 and need to have as good of a crystal ball as you can develop.

JP, Just stay home and play on the big stage on the big TV network in front of big crowds. Don't go to minor leagues, as we all know you have big league talent.

Top Bottom