All Things JP Macura Thread UPDATED 7/11: GOPHERS offer JP!

Exactly. Big name recruits are great, but multiple guys who are effective for 4 years really solidify your program, and are what I think we need to start making the gophers a threat every year.

Darren Wolfson‏@DarrenWolfson12m
Confirmed Lakeville No. Class of 2014 SG JP Macura got an Iowa St. offer today. @D1MinnesotaTom 1st to report. #Gophers offer expected soon.

Not at all surprising that Hoiberg wants him. Hopefully he won't feel bitter about a late offer from us.

Hoiberg met with another player Saturday, 2014 prospect J.P. Macura, who had the gym in awe of his 3-point shooting throughout much of the day.

“I felt I played pretty good,” said the 6-foot-4 Lakeville North (MN) product. “I haven’t played with (this team) very much, but for the most part I think we played well together and competed.”

Macura showed the accuracy and range that the Cyclones covet, though ISU is yet to offer the sharpshooter. (UPDATE)

“(Hoiberg) showed me how they run their offensive stuff,” Macura said. “They’re huge into 3-pointers, which I’d say I am a little bit,too. He said they’re very interested.”

“They just said they’re looking for shooters,” he added. “(Hoiberg) said they basically recruit all shooters. That’s what they’re looking for.

“I like (ISU’s system) a lot. I think I could fit well here in this system.”

http://amestrib.com/blog/hines-on-hoops/cunningham-macura-shine-isu-camp.html#small

Tweet from Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN)
Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) tweeted at 2:32 PM on Wed, Jun 19, 2013:
Florida State is the latest to offer MN D1/Lakeville North SG JP Macura.

Backup plans already starting. Talk this guy up enough and no one will worry about not getting the 3-5 guys the Gophs need to get.

I guess gopherhole has some major clout, we talked him up so much, he's getting some really good offers.

He'd get respect if he tried to walk on in my book, dude isn't a scholarship B1G player right now.

Another clueless GH'er. Lot's of them on this thread.

Anyone who think Macura is walking on anywhere hasn't seen him shot the ball... Gophers will offer very soon!

I don't think it would have happened even if they offered earlier....although that would have made it interesting. Probably better fits for him forget the Gophers. Butler with Stevens? Iowa State with Freddie? Great fit great coaches. Save it now Rick. Although I've said before I don't mind Rick shooting for the stars. That's his choice.

I don't think it would have happened even if they offered earlier....although that would have made it interesting. Probably better fits for him forget the Gophers. Butler with Stevens? Iowa State with Freddie? Great fit great coaches. Save it now Rick. Although I've said before I don't mind Rick shooting for the stars. That's his choice.

We don't mind trolls coming on the board and pretending to know things they don't either. That's your choice.

I don't mind trolls either we are in agreement there. Won't be a Gopher. Eventually you'll agree on that fact.

I don't mind trolls either we are in agreement there. Won't be a Gopher. Eventually you'll agree on that fact.

Wow, great prediction. Every program only gets 10% or less of the commitments from players given offers. Every program issues far more offers than it has scholarships available so predicting that a kid will never commit to a program is pointless. I predict whatever program you follow will not get 90% or more of the kids it offers scholarships to commit.

Also, do you even know what type of player Macura is and what type of system Pitino employs to make a blanket statement that Macura will never fit into the Gopher system? If so, please elaborate and tells us exactly why Macura would not be a good fit at Minnesota.

I don't mind trolls on this forum, but at least attempt to contribute something meaningful.

@gopherhole: #Gophers recruit @jpmacura is ranked 89th nationally in the latest Scout.com rankings.

Go Gophers!!

You can almost start calling the class of 2014 the Big 4 with Macura entering the top 90. He's picking up some serious steam. Without a Gopher offer to JP at this point (June 25) there is a distinct possibility we could go 0-for-4 in signing these guys. A bad day at the ballpark and a potentially devastating day on the hardwood. Come on staff! We need two of these guys. I would be happy with Travis and Macura. Without Vaughn in Pitino's backyard anymore, it's going to be that much more difficult to sign him. As for the kid from Apple Valley (wink, wink), it's only a matter of time before he officially eliminates his home state from the running.

I'm sure JP will be a fine player at some other school. The staff has evaluated him and feel he doesn't fit as a 2 guard in their system. That doesn't mean they don't think JP is a good player, but they have identified other targets. Let's give them some time before we assume they don't know what they are doing.

@gopherhole: #Gophers recruit @jpmacura is ranked 89th nationally in the latest Scout.com rankings.

Go Gophers!!

I'm a big fan of Macura, and I've made that known. That being said, he just isn't a top-100 player... I think he is closer to the 70 grade that ESPN gave him than his 89 ranking by Scout. But if I were the Gophers, I'd definitely offer him. He should be a nice collegiate player.

I'm sure JP will be a fine player at some other school. The staff has evaluated him and feel he doesn't fit as a 2 guard in their system. That doesn't mean they don't think JP is a good player, but they have identified other targets. Let's give them some time before we assume they don't know what they are doing.

You're making that up. Pitino not offering him yet does not automatically mean he doesn't think Macura would fit our system. If he flat out didn't want him, he wouldn't recruit him like he has been. The fact that we haven't offered him is much more likely due to the fact that Pitino prefers some other players over him. If he offers Macura and he accepts, that takes away a scholarship from a player higher on the priority list who hasn't eliminated us yet.

I'm hearing Butler is pushing really hard for Macura to commit, and that Pitino's staff is trying to get him to hold off because their interest has picked up. Might be falling on deaf ears because the family is a little miffed that the Gophers took so long to get involved. Though, if that's true, it's hard to blame Pitino for that because he hasn't been here that long, and Macura kinda' blew up out of nowhere, didn't he?

Bottom line is it appears the Gophers have a lot more interest now, but Brad Stevens has the inside track.

I heard from a second hand, but pretty reliable source, that Tubby never even sent him so much as a letter. If true, that would be downright shameful and embarrassing. I really hope that he becomes a Gopher as I think he will be a tremendous weapon at the college level.

I don't think it's that he only recently blew up, but rather the staff's limited time in this recruiting role. JP was totally off the radar for all the coaches except maybe Johnson. I can't blame the staff for making Vaughn and Travis, as well as some highly rated East coast recruits in Young and Mchale's wheelhouse a priority. That is no slight of Jp at all.

I still think that an offer is coming. Pitino wants guys that hit the three. JP Macura can hit the three and seems to be a decent to good athlete. To go along with the fact that he is an in-state talent. Keeping this kid in the state would be a good start to the class in my opinion.

I still think that an offer is coming. Pitino wants guys that hit the three. JP Macura can hit the three and seems to be a decent to good athlete. To go along with the fact that he is an in-state talent. Keeping this kid in the state would be a good start to the class in my opinion.

+1

FWIW, Ryan James believes that there is basically no chance Macura ends up in maroon and gold. From what I can tell, he seems to think that he is upset about the lack of interest and that Pitino has identified guys he wants more.

FWIW, Ryan James believes that there is basically no chance Macura ends up in maroon and gold. From what I can tell, he seems to think that he is upset about the lack of interest and that Pitino has identified guys he wants more.

Well, that is frustrating. I think that Pitino should have offered him when he came in for a visit. Why he didn't is puzzling. I'd much rather have a little lower ranked in state kid then a little higher ranked out of state guy. It's also frustrating that Pitino talks about how much he needs three point shooters, but doesn't offer what seems to be the best sharpshooter in the state, who also is a pretty athletically gifted guy as well. I don't know. I just think we may look at Macura in 2 or 3 years and say "damn, we shoulda got that kid."

Well, that is frustrating. I think that Pitino should have offered him when he came in for a visit. Why he didn't is puzzling. I'd much rather have a little lower ranked in state kid then a little higher ranked out of state guy. It's also frustrating that Pitino talks about how much he needs three point shooters, but doesn't offer what seems to be the best sharpshooter in the state, who also is a pretty athletically gifted guy as well. I don't know. I just think we may look at Macura in 2 or 3 years and say "damn, we shoulda got that kid."

I agree with you that it is frustrating, but we have to trust in Pitino. As many people have pointed out, Pitino obviously believes hes got a good shot with some of those studs ranked well above Macura otherwise he would have offered by now!

I would be very disappointed if we don't sign J.P., but the time does come when you have to have faith in Coach P. and staff. I like what they have done so far in a tough situation and have no doubt they will bring in a strong class. I'm hoping for Top 25.

Oh don't get me wrong. I trust Pitino knows what he is doing. But there is always ways to open up scholarship spots. Lets say Oto barely plays again, he will probably graduate and transfer. I just don't want to think what coulda been with this kid.

I like Macura and I think an offer from the Gophers is coming soon for him. I don't think he will hold anything against the Gophers because the offer isn't extremely late even if he gets it in the next couple months, I think when all is said and done Macura ends up a Gopher.

I like Macura and I think an offer from the Gophers is coming soon for him. I don't think he will hold anything against the Gophers because the offer isn't extremely late even if he gets it in the next couple months, I think when all is said and done Macura ends up a Gopher.

Where would u go - someplace that really wants u or some place that doesn't really want u but is willing to settle for u as worse case scenario? Especially when places who want u are arguably better programs anyway. Given his options, I know what I would say. "Yea, thanks but...." If Pitino really wanted him, he would have offered by now.

Top Bottom