All Things JP Macura Thread UPDATED 7/11: GOPHERS offer JP!

Pioneer80...Welcome to GopherHole. I see you are new here with a very few posts. Words of caution...never use LOL as a symbol for sarcasm. It doesn't work. You need to always use one of icons to highlight sarcasm. There are too many serious people here who never like to chuckle or laugh, for various reasons that I will not go into detail about. Use the smiley yellow icon to find the one you want. OK? :cool02:

Yes but he doesn't have a high enough release point, doesn't get it off quick enough, and barely gets off the ground. LOL.

I realize that you're just joking, but comparing Stauskas to Macura needs to stop. Stauskas is a big time athlete, a legit really good athlete. He was a big time recruit because he's a knock down shooter like Macura and a great athlete.

I'd be totally comfortable with the U offering Macura, so I'm not ripping on JP. I just have seen a couple people compare JP to Stauskas.

I realize that you're just joking, but comparing Stauskas to Macura needs to stop. Stauskas is a big time athlete, a legit really good athlete. He was a big time recruit because he's a knock down shooter like Macura and a great athlete.

I'd be totally comfortable with the U offering Macura, so I'm not ripping on JP. I just have seen a couple people compare JP to Stauskas.

But they're both white and shoot 3's!!!!!!!!!!

You aren't very good with sarcasm...that's what the LOL was for. I was basically ripping on the people who haven't seen him play but offer expert opinions on shot release and lack of athleticism. I've seen J.P. play quite a few times. Really an interesting player. He blew up in Dallas last week. Everyone nationally now knows he's not an average good shooting high school kid. Doesn't sound like scouts are too worried about release points either. In fact the opposite. LOL. The jury is still out so need to keep an eye...but it appears jury making a decision soon and would like to see him play for Gophers. Apple Valley coach said conference hasn't seen a scorer like him in years. He's more than a scorer too...athletic, great passer, and can get the job done on defense. Based on what I've SEEN he's worth a full ride offer. I want to see him play actually when he isn't double covered too.

Good post. I don't think or certainly hope no one was ripping the kid, as much as just being curious. Very little info on this board for a local 3***. I would like to see him in the maroon and gold also.

The jury is out. What Big 10,ACC, Big 12, Pac 12 or sec offers does he have. He has opened eyes but coaches are not clamoring to be first.

We'll have to wait and see how this 2013 class ends up (quality and quantity) before Pitino makes a decision on Macura. I don't really see Pitino offering him before he knows how many schollies he has to give for 2014.

RT @collegebbnews: Kansas State offered Lakeville North shooter J.P. Macura.

Go Gophers!!

I really believe we need to offer ASAP. He is/will be a guy that just kills teams with his ability to but the ball in the basket in any way possible. Especially with a couple of guys that can penetrate and dish, he will be lethal.

I really believe we need to offer ASAP. He is/will be a guy that just kills teams with his ability to but the ball in the basket in any way possible. Especially with a couple of guys that can penetrate and dish, he will be lethal.

I like JP, but he's no Allerik Freeman or even Alvin Ellis. I don't see him as a 3 level scorer or ever starting. If we end up with 5 tenders for the class of 2014, which I think we will, I would like to sign him. Coach P. is reaching for pretty rarified air for us Gopher Faithful and JP may need to wait his turn. Once again, I do like him.

We're not going to offer before we know how many scholarships we have to give to the class of 2014. If Pitino ends up signing two more guys (unlikely, but not out of the question), that would leave us with only two scholarship to give out in Macura's class.

[/QUOTE]If we end up with 5 tenders for the class of 2014, which I think we will, I would like to sign him.[/QUOTE]

+1

There are guys that can put the ball in the net, and there are guys that can't. I'm tired of the guys that look the part but can't shoot. JP is not big, not athletic, but is the kind of guy that drives you nuts because the ball is always going in the hoop. I agree that he may get squeezed out due to scholarship numbers, but I'd sure like to have him. He will either be playing 15-20 min. for us and being a dagger, or averaging 24 for St. Louis, Creighton or Butler. Take your pick.

I like JP, but he's no Allerik Freeman or even Alvin Ellis. I don't see him as a 3 level scorer or ever starting. If we end up with 5 tenders for the class of 2014, which I think we will, I would like to sign him. Coach P. is reaching for pretty rarified air for us Gopher Faithful and JP may need to wait his turn. Once again, I do like him.

+1

There are guys that can put the ball in the net, and there are guys that can't. I'm tired of the guys that look the part but can't shoot. JP is not big, not athletic, but is the kind of guy that drives you nuts because the ball is always going in the hoop. I agree that he may get squeezed out due to scholarship numbers, but I'd sure like to have him. He will either be playing 15-20 min. for us and being a dagger, or averaging 24 for St. Louis, Creighton or Butler. Take your pick.

Slightly bigger and more athletic than Hoffarber coming out of high school. Hoffarber probably had a slightly better shot, though.

BKGzS_fCcAAvSXj.jpg

Seems fairly athletic based in this Twitter photo. He's dunking over a 7-footer.

+1

Slightly bigger and more athletic than Hoffarber coming out of high school. Hoffarber probably had a slightly better shot, though.

Yeah, I was talking a buddy in real life who is a fellow Gopher fan and we were talking about JP being a guy who could go one of two ways. He's either a larger and slightly more athletic Hoffarber or he's Jamal Abu Shamal (bigger, slower release, not a good ball handler, but a shooter).

I see the value in having guys who can simply shoot the basketball. So I would be totally cool with Pitino offering but I definitely understand waiting on a guy like JP.

How would people who've seen both play compare JP to Matt Thomas?

JP keeps improving. Matt Thomas will score 1800 plus points at ISU. He shoots it as well as any high school kid. Very well rounded kid. Alot like UVA 's Joe Harris who was first team all acc this year.

JP keeps improving. Matt Thomas will score 1800 plus points at ISU. He shoots it as well as any high school kid. Very well rounded kid. Alot like UVA 's Joe Harris who was first team all acc this year.

I'd take the under on that any day.

I really like Macura, but he's not in the same league as Matt Thomas. He will go down as one of the biggest misses of the Tubby era. 1800 points is a lot but....I don't think it's out of the question. He's that good.

I really like Macura, but he's not in the same league as Matt Thomas. He will go down as one of the biggest misses of the Tubby era. 1800 points is a lot but....I don't think it's out of the question. He's that good.

+1

Do you see that picture? That's enough to tell you he's far more athletic than Hoffarber or Abu-Shamala. Is he only allowed to be compared to other white shooters?

Yeah, I was talking a buddy in real life who is a fellow Gopher fan and we were talking about JP being a guy who could go one of two ways. He's either a larger and slightly more athletic Hoffarber or he's Jamal Abu Shamal (bigger, slower release, not a good ball handler, but a shooter).

I see the value in having guys who can simply shoot the basketball. So I would be totally cool with Pitino offering but I definitely understand waiting on a guy like JP.

How would people who've seen both play compare JP to Matt Thomas?

Do you see that picture? That's enough to tell you he's far more athletic than Hoffarber or Abu-Shamala. Is he only allowed to be compared to other white shooters?

Austin Hollins except worse at basketball?

Those are really the last two pure 3pt shooters we've had, Austin is an all around guy who happens to shoot a pretty good deep ball and Andre is a scorer.

With the possible transfer of Joe Coleman. I can envision a scenario where we land Malik Smith for a year and offer Macura soon.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Why do people keep comparing JP to other players on here? JP reminds me of JP. Glad to see all offers coming his way, the kid can find a way to score against decent competition and that will get him to a nice school--hopefully the U--..

Those are really the last two pure 3pt shooters we've had, Austin is an all around guy who happens to shoot a pretty good deep ball and Andre is a scorer.

Westbrook could stroke it from 3 too. That kid could score.

Top Bottom