All Things JP Macura Thread UPDATED 7/11: GOPHERS offer JP!

Reminds me of posters talking about Joe Coleman when he was 6'-3"ish in 10th grade, but he could be 6'-8" by the time he got to college.

Yeah, Joe would be quite the player if he had his bro's height. I remember hoping he'd grow a bit when we first heard about him being a possibility for the Gophers.

I have not seen JP play but his scouting report is below average. He could be another Hoffarber but at least Blake had other BCS offers. Again the kid may very well be a big ten player but it doesn't seem many other programs agree.

I don't remember Blake being that highly recruited. Correct me if I'm wrong (I probably will be), but we didn't offer Blake until fairly late in the process, no? And he was offered by Notre Dame late, too. Macura has 12 offers right now - all mid-major including Saint Louis, Dayton, SDSU, NDSU, and Vermont. I don't think Hoffarber was being recruited any harder going into his 17U AAU season.

Macura could be a Hoffarber, but hear me out. Hoffarber wasn't good at making his own shots. He was a spot shooter who did pretty well. Macura could thrive if we had a quick point guard who can penetrate the D and kick it out. Without someone like that, he's not going to be anywhere as good as Hoffarber.

He can work out, get faster and more athletic, and increase his stock.

Macura is slightly better at creating his shot than Blake was in high school. Macura's also a little taller.

After going on Youtube to see as many highlights as I could find on him, this player reminds me of your typical Bo Ryan type recruit. Someone who might be a little awkward(Duck-walk in this case), but who can get the job done and after a few years is a very good player.

Looks like he needs vast improvement on his lateral quickness and effort on the defensive end as in game highlights of the defensive side only showed him getting beat, and beat easily by speed(in one case Tyus Jones just walked right around him like JP wasn't there). If he can put in more effort on D and if he can guard SG's(he has a long enough wingspan) then I say we should look at getting him. But if the defense isn't there, then there are plenty of high schoolers who can just shoot the ball(maybe not as well).

Remember there is always a spot on a team for a kid who can play really good defense. Think how Cory Brewer is still playing in the NBA... it isn't his offense. How Al Nolan was the starting PG for MN for ~3 years. These players only had average offense but really good defense. Average defense and really good offense is easier to find.

Also maybe youtube highlights don't do him justice. We'll find out eventually.

After going on Youtube to see as many highlights as I could find on him, this player reminds me of your typical Bo Ryan type recruit. Someone who might be a little awkward(Duck-walk in this case), but who can get the job done and after a few years is a very good player.

Looks like he needs vast improvement on his lateral quickness and effort on the defensive end as in game highlights of the defensive side only showed him getting beat, and beat easily by speed(in one case Tyus Jones just walked right around him like JP wasn't there). If he can put in more effort on D and if he can guard SG's(he has a long enough wingspan) then I say we should look at getting him. But if the defense isn't there, then there are plenty of high schoolers who can just shoot the ball(maybe not as well).

Remember there is always a spot on a team for a kid who can play really good defense. Think how Cory Brewer is still playing in the NBA... it isn't his offense. How Al Nolan was the starting PG for MN for ~3 years. These players only had average offense but really good defense. Average defense and really good offense is easier to find.

Also maybe youtube highlights don't do him justice. We'll find out eventually.

Agree with your comments. Highlight clips are frustrating because there are always gaps. My best guess is, if we end up with 4-5 tenders, Macura is plan B.

He is probably not any slower than Jake Sullivan who was 6'1". Let's remember how important zone busters are when we play Northwestern.

Can he get that shot off against B1G defenses?

The question there is: How good are his team mates? Stauskas for Michigan was tremendous this year and he will be a very good player. He may not have it as easy next year without Burke and Hardaway to create openings. If you have a good enough cast- a shooter can have a feast.

The question there is: How good are his team mates? Stauskas for Michigan was tremendous this year and he will be a very good player. He may not have it as easy next year without Burke and Hardaway to create openings. If you have a good enough cast- a shooter can have a feast.

Stauskas is not just a stand-still shooter. He's going to have a nice career.

‏@EvanDanielsFOX
Not many knock down shooters out there anymore. One (J.P. Macura) stuck out this weekend. Searching for more.

Stauskas is not just a stand-still shooter. He's going to have a nice career.

I was definitely surprised the first time I saw him blow by a defender and slam it home. Impressive hops and speed for a "stand-still" shooter. If he continues to improve, I really wouldn't be shocked to see him play a good role in the NBA someday. I could only wish JP could be that type of player. Don't really see that type of athleticism.

Tweet from Amelia:

Richard Pitino reached out to J.P. Marcura (Lakeville North) for the first time about 30 min ago, the junior guard said.

He is going to have to learn how to do something else well.

Hoff didn't create his own shot real well but he had a really quick release, he was a decent ball handler and he was able to play well in a fast paced system (as a trailer or a decision maker on the break). Hoff was a spot up shooter, no question, but he did enough things decent to make himself into a good Big 10 player.

I'm not sure with Shamala. It bothered me the amount of highlights were of him posting up a small HS SG and shooting over him, he didn't appear to be particularily quick either. Right now, he reminds me more of Jamal Abu Shamala than Hoff.

Hoff didn't create his own shot real well but he had a really quick release, he was a decent ball handler and he was able to play well in a fast paced system (as a trailer or a decision maker on the break). Hoff was a spot up shooter, no question, but he did enough things decent to make himself into a good Big 10 player.

I'm not sure with Shamala. It bothered me the amount of highlights were of him posting up a small HS SG and shooting over him, he didn't appear to be particularily quick either. Right now, he reminds me more of Jamal Abu Shamala than Hoff.

Pitino seems to be intent on getting PG's that can penetrate and create oppurtunities for others, when you have a drop dead shooter sure he might not ever be able to create for himself but he might get oppertuniuties off the PG and it ties up a defensive player that can't help out. Worst case scenario he probably would get shots off the fast break, if he can play defense I can see how someone like that would help, he can't be a liability on defense though.

Per Ryan James (4/23), Drake has offered Macura, and Iowa State is showing interest.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>​

+1. Very accurate analysis

Stauskas is a great athlete. Saying he looks like a Bo Ryan recruit means what?. There is always a place for great shooter in the NBA or any level for that matter . From Steve Kerr to Craig Hodges or today ,JJ Reddick would be a great example. Getting a shoot ofF in the college isn't like High School but I don't think it would be a problem and hasn't been for most great shooters ,Jake Sullivan being a great example. The bottomline is making shots. Is he a great pure shooter or not? If he is then you stongly consider offering him.

This creating your own shoot in college stuff is overrated when you look at a team. You half to have a couple guys who can create for themselves and others. There are very few to no teams that have five guys who can do it. The Gophers last year had how many? Probably one Dre and he still is best as a spot up shooter. Rodney with all his athletic skills couldn't even create his own shoots. It more about a feel for the game and a scorers mentality. Marcura has that mindset.

This creating your own shoot in college stuff is overrated when you look at a team. You half to have a couple guys who can create for themselves and others. There are very few to no teams that have five guys who can do it. The Gophers last year had how many? Probably one Dre and he still is best as a spot up shooter. Rodney with all his athletic skills couldn't even create his own shoots. It more about a feel for the game and a scorers mentality. Marcura has that mindset.

I agree with you that you don't have to be able to get your own shot in college ball. However, you have to be able to do something else other than knock down open shots. Not every spot up shooter is created equal and there are literally thousands of good HS shooters. I have no idea if Macura is able to or not, but if Macura can't defend, can't handle the ball, and can't get his own shot, what seperates him from the other good shooters in high school basketball?

He can be taught defense but does need work on a higher,faster release. One thing that does stand out is his willingness to work hard to get where he wants to go.So much depends on how much he improves the next couple years. Many mid level prospects continue to advance their game and become much better then most would anticipate. Fans would be wise to be cautious in measuring a prospect by the schools interested versus offered.

Amelia blog: Checking in with Lakeville Norths' J.P. Macura -- right after he talked to Richard Pitino

“Mainly I just wasn’t expecting to hear from Pitino this early because he just got the job,” Macura said. “I wasn’t completely surprised, but I would expect not to have heard from him so soon. I would think maybe like months from now, but I’m glad that he got out to me already, and that just shows that he’s interested.”

“I’m just blessed and happy that I’ve even gotten the opportunity to talk to him and I’m looking forward to building a relationship with him and the coaching staff and getting to know them a lot better, Macura said.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/204514521.html

Go Gophers!!

D1 Minnesota‏@D1Minnesota20 Apr
“@DaveTelep: Shooter alert: Jonathan Macura! Kid can strip it deep. Minnesota D1. #exclusiverun” @jpmacura

He seems to be getting attention well beyond the good HS shooter type reference.

@gopherhole: According to @collegebbnews: #Gophers, NC St., BC, Iowa St., Providence, Fla St., Indiana & Wash St. have shown recent interest in JP Macura

Go Gophers!!

@gopherhole: According to @collegebbnews: #Gophers, NC St., BC, Iowa St., Providence, Fla St., Indiana & Wash St. have shown recent interest in JP Macura

Go Gophers!!

If the Gophers plan on having 4 (or more) scholarship open for 2014, I think it might already be time to offer JP. It was just a couple weeks ago when I said they should continue to express interest and see how he performed against better athletes on the tournament circuit. It appears that it took all of one tournament for JP to show that he belongs at a high major. My guess is Washington State, BC, or Providence offers...and then the floodgates open with the other schools mentioned starting to offer.

If we can get 2 or 3 highly touted recruits in 2014, I have no problem also offering JP.

Yes but he doesn't have a high enough release point, doesn't get it off quick enough, and barely gets off the ground. LOL.

Have you ever seen him play in person?

I've talked to a coach in the southern burbs that said he can absolutely play for the gophers, another who has seen him play several times said he is not sure what kind of impact he will make at the B1G level yet, but might be worth an offer.

I wouldn't worry about overlap between him and Rashad at the same position. He could redshirt or play as a freshman, but Rashad will be here one year, maybe two.

You aren't very good with sarcasm...that's what the LOL was for. I was basically ripping on the people who haven't seen him play but offer expert opinions on shot release and lack of athleticism. I've seen J.P. play quite a few times. Really an interesting player. He blew up in Dallas last week. Everyone nationally now knows he's not an average good shooting high school kid. Doesn't sound like scouts are too worried about release points either. In fact the opposite. LOL. The jury is still out so need to keep an eye...but it appears jury making a decision soon and would like to see him play for Gophers. Apple Valley coach said conference hasn't seen a scorer like him in years. He's more than a scorer too...athletic, great passer, and can get the job done on defense. Based on what I've SEEN he's worth a full ride offer. I want to see him play actually when he isn't double covered too.

Top Bottom