All Things Henry Ellenson Thread

Tweet from Ellenson's Mom:

"Tubby Smith is a first class; coach, mentor, role model, and person! #GoGophers"

Go Gophers!!

Tweet from Ellenson's Mom:

"Tubby Smith is a first class; coach, mentor, role model, and person! #GoGophers"

Go Gophers!!

Thanks Bleed. Now I wonder what jamalo/tinyarch will say to counter act this?

Thanks Bleed. Now I wonder what jamalo/tinyarch will say to counter act this?

Mr. Ellenson's Mom is delusional! :p

I think Smith is a nice guy who genuinely cares about his players. I just think he's a mediocre coach and a terrible offensive coach. His record at Minnesota would support my conclusion.

What I am wondering is if she'll take her tweet back when her son's are slogging through mid-level success in the B1G and enduring some big drama episode where Tubby denies culpability.

In the meantime...welcome Henry!

I've read a few different articles and it sounds like he'll be a really nice player and certainly he will fit a need. Nice to hear he's coming
to MN. I wish both him and his brother all the best.

Mr. Ellenson's Mom is delusional! :p

I think Smith is a nice guy who genuinely cares about his players. I just think he's a mediocre coach and a terrible offensive coach. His record at Minnesota would support my conclusion.

What I am wondering is if she'll take her tweet back when her son's are slogging through mid-level success in the B1G and enduring some big drama episode where Tubby denies culpability.

I've read a few different articles and it sounds like he'll be a really nice player and certainly he will fit a need. Nice to hear he's coming

Your comments are like someone talking to their new neighbor for the first time saying "this place really sucks....but welcome!"

When did he commit? I must have missed. She already has a son on the team, could the tweet be related to that.

to MN. I wish both him and his brother all the best.[/QUOTE]

Your comments are like someone talking to their new neighbor for the first time saying "this place really sucks....but welcome!"

Tiny arch also sounds like the kind of neighbor that everyone hates to be around. The guy that is so negative that everyone avoids him.

When did he commit? I must have missed. She already has a son on the team, could the tweet be related to that.

He hasn't committed anywhere. His mom just made a comment about Tubby.

The Apple

Guessing Henry chose to play at that age. Ellwood might blowup this summer you never know.

Read that D1 Binghamton came to watch Ellwood just last week, and head coach is visiting soon, Northeastern and Tulsa have called. If Ellwood grows like his brothers he will put on muscle. Henry looks really long and wide.

@ISURecruitLists: 2015 Henry Ellenson had 21 pts & 20 rebounds for Rice Lake (WI) in their win tonight at @BreakdownUSA Tip-off

Go Gophers!!

Had a chance to catch this game at the Breakdown and saw Ellenson play. Wow. He is even bigger than I imagined. Hard to believe he's only a sophomore. He has amazing touch for his size and gets to the rim incredibly easily. Looking forward to seeing this kid develop. A pretty quiet 20-20 game if you ask me.

Had a chance to catch this game at the Breakdown and saw Ellenson play. Wow. He is even bigger than I imagined. Hard to believe he's only a sophomore. He has amazing touch for his size and gets to the rim incredibly easily. Looking forward to seeing this kid develop. A pretty quiet 20-20 game if you ask me.

Quite the crowd for the Rice Lake game.

Henry is definitely a B1G caliber player. Would be nice to see him play here.
Hope it happens.

And given the talent on the team we have this year along with the start we're off to, I'm not sure why anyone would be negative. Unless you're related Chip Armelin and missing out?

@isurecruitlists: Henry Ellenson had 29 points for Rice Lake (WI) in a 73-55 win tonight. A #Gophers assistant was in attendance.

Go Gophers!!

@isurecruitlists: Henry Ellenson had 29 points for Rice Lake (WI) in a 73-55 win tonight. A #Gophers assistant was in attendance.

Go Gophers!!

It was Saul at the game last night. Here is what I posted on the Badger boards about last night.

I have seen Henry on a number of other occasions, but I am still shocked each time at how big he is. I would guess around 6’8” and 240 or 250. He is certainly not fat, but he is also not well-defined at this point. He just has a huge frame and really long arms. As his body matures and he does more weight training, he has a chance to be a monster physically. Despite being so large at such an early age, he moves pretty well and is very skilled. His most developed skill at this stage is his shooting, as he is very good from the perimeter. I was also impressed with his ability to handle the ball in space and beat people off the dribble.

I had Henry for 31 and 5 tonight, with the points coming in pretty way every way possible. He was 10 of 18 from the floor, including 3 of 5 from downtown, and also 8 for 10 from the line. He did most of his damage from the perimeter in the first half, on 3s and drives to the bucket (couple nice finishes with a floater). In the second half, he used his size to dominate inside. He got to the line a number of times, and also had a couple really nice seals of his defender that turned into a hoop and a foul. In the past, I have felt he floated too much on the perimeter. Tonight, he was very impressive doing most everything on the offensive end.

Hudson has a 6’6” junior forward named Alex Herink. He is not the prospect that Henry is, but he’s a solid player who apparently has interest from schools like NDSU and SDSU. Henry went head to head with Herink on both ends of the floor, and really did whatever he wanted. Hudson did not do enough to get Herink the ball in good scoring position, but Henry also made it difficult for Alex to get good off shots. He challenged everything and did a nice job staying in front of Herink. I did not expect that, but I thought that Henry was very solid defensively. He will certainly have to make some improvements on that end of the floor over the next couple seasons, but he paid attention and has the physical ability to play reasonable defense.

Good stuff, Ole. If he works hard physically - strength & quickness - his ceiling is way up in the atmosphere.

A key for him is finding the right fit - i.e., school that will utilize his abilities. Position wise, I think that means a 4/3 type.

Just ridiculously good.

It was Saul at the game last night. Here is what I posted on the Badger boards about last night.

I have seen Henry on a number of other occasions, but I am still shocked each time at how big he is. I would guess around 6’8” and 240 or 250. He is certainly not fat, but he is also not well-defined at this point. He just has a huge frame and really long arms. As his body matures and he does more weight training, he has a chance to be a monster physically. Despite being so large at such an early age, he moves pretty well and is very skilled. His most developed skill at this stage is his shooting, as he is very good from the perimeter. I was also impressed with his ability to handle the ball in space and beat people off the dribble.

I had Henry for 31 and 5 tonight, with the points coming in pretty way every way possible. He was 10 of 18 from the floor, including 3 of 5 from downtown, and also 8 for 10 from the line. He did most of his damage from the perimeter in the first half, on 3s and drives to the bucket (couple nice finishes with a floater). In the second half, he used his size to dominate inside. He got to the line a number of times, and also had a couple really nice seals of his defender that turned into a hoop and a foul. In the past, I have felt he floated too much on the perimeter. Tonight, he was very impressive doing most everything on the offensive end.

Hudson has a 6’6” junior forward named Alex Herink. He is not the prospect that Henry is, but he’s a solid player who apparently has interest from schools like NDSU and SDSU. Henry went head to head with Herink on both ends of the floor, and really did whatever he wanted. Hudson did not do enough to get Herink the ball in good scoring position, but Henry also made it difficult for Alex to get good off shots. He challenged everything and did a nice job staying in front of Herink. I did not expect that, but I thought that Henry was very solid defensively. He will certainly have to make some improvements on that end of the floor over the next couple seasons, but he paid attention and has the physical ability to play reasonable defense.

Thanks!

per Shooter:

Gophers men's basketball coach Tubby Smith is in a sensitive position trying to find enough minutes for 6-4 freshman Wally Ellenson so as not to discourage Ellenson's 6-8 sophomore brother Henry, whom Minnesota is strongly recruiting out of Rice Lake (Wis.).

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22223739/shooter-now-vikings-face-st-paul-raised-ryan

Go Gophers!!

He's not going to be making a decision next summer, I think developing, getting minutes, and being productive will be more important for Wally in the 2013-2014 year than this year. The team being successfull and having a good year this year will be just as important long term.

Knowing John Ellenson personally, I would say Henrys committment depends on Wallys playing time his first two years.

Good stuff, Ole. If he works hard physically - strength & quickness - his ceiling is way up in the atmosphere.

A key for him is finding the right fit - i.e., school that will utilize his abilities. Position wise, I think that means a 4/3 type.

Just ridiculously good.

Agree 100%. Henry is really talented, but he's not a great athlete, and probably never will be based on how big he is and presumably will be. I am sure this will come across like a homer post, but I see UW as an excellent fit for him. Though they may play a little faster in coming seasons, it's unlikely they'll be considered and up-and-down team. Bo has certainly done an effective job of using his bigs on the perimeter, and that's Henry's strength. I am a bit perplexed as to why UW has not offered at this point. Should be interesting to watch Henry's development in the coming years.

Knowing John Ellenson personally, I would say Henrys committment depends on Wallys playing time his first two years.

That's pretty lame if true. What if Wally isn't as good as the guys in front of him? What if he's not consistently hitting shots? Especially this year -- if everyone stays healthy, where's Tubby supposed to find more than 5 or 6 minutes a game for Ellenson?

That's pretty lame if true. What if Wally isn't as good as the guys in front of him? What if he's not consistently hitting shots? Especially this year -- if everyone stays healthy, where's Tubby supposed to find more than 5 or 6 minutes a game for Ellenson?

Maybe let's try something new and stick to facts.

UW Ole is dead on about the type of athletes Bo likes, but dead wrong saying Henry is not athletic. I have seen the kid play this year, he runs the floor well, and not many people that big move that well-unless they are in the NBA.

I am new here and I thought this was a Gopher fan page, not Badger or Hawkeye page. Let's give Coach Smith some credit the guy has a National Championship and 500 wins, he is not making decisions about his team based on a family in Wisconsin.

Go gophers!

Maybe let's try something new and stick to facts.

UW Ole is dead on about the type of athletes Bo likes, but dead wrong saying Henry is not athletic. I have seen the kid play this year, he runs the floor well, and not many people that big move that well-unless they are in the NBA.

I am new here and I thought this was a Gopher fan page, not Badger or Hawkeye page. Let's give Coach Smith some credit the guy has a National Championship and 500 wins, he is not making decisions about his team based on a family in Wisconsin.

Go gophers!

Good post and great perspective. Welcome to the board.

Go Gophers!!

Agree 100%. Henry is really talented, but he's not a great athlete, and probably never will be based on how big he is and presumably will be. I am sure this will come across like a homer post, but I see UW as an excellent fit for him. Though they may play a little faster in coming seasons, it's unlikely they'll be considered and up-and-down team. Bo has certainly done an effective job of using his bigs on the perimeter, and that's Henry's strength. I am a bit perplexed as to why UW has not offered at this point. Should be interesting to watch Henry's development in the coming years.

Henry isn't an athlete the way wally is (jumping, etc.) but for a 6'9" he is very athletic. He plays mostly on the wing right now and gets up and down the court real well. Have you seen him play?

Top Bottom