All Things Henry Ellenson Thread

Q&A: Henry Ellenson Talks Gophers Offer, Possibly Playing w/ Brother Wally in College

Henry Ellenson Talks Gophers Offer, Possibly Playing with Brother Wally in College

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/152637?referrer_id=388419

Henry Ellenson, a 6-foot-8 freshman from Rice Lake (Wis.) High, is one of the top players in the Midwest in the Class of 2015. The younger brother of incoming freshman Wally recently received a scholarship offer from Minnesota.

Henry is one of three Ellenson brothers who shined for the Warriors, leading them to a 23-2 mark, losing to eventual Division II champion Onalaska 57-47 in the playoffs.

Ellenson, who averaged 12.1 points per game this season, received his first scholarship offer from Georgetown in April. He has since added offer from Minnesota, Marquette and Iowa State.

Gopher Hole caught up with Ellenson to learn the latest on his recruitment and the possibility of playing with his brother again in college.

Gopher Hole: When did you hear about the Minnesota offer?

Henry Ellenson: It was a Tuesday night. I was talking to them and he (Coach Smith) said that he wants me at Minnesota and that he would offer me.

Gopher Hole: What was your reaction?

Henry Ellenson: I was surprised because I thought that I was just going to talk to them and see how stuff is doing and he (Coach Smith) said that we would like you to come to Minnesota. I was pretty surprised.

Gopher Hole: What was the reaction of your family and brothers?

Henry Ellenson: Wally was kind of laughing. He was like “I wish that I had gotten mine a little bit earlier,” but he was like “It’s awesome.”

Gopher Hole: Have you ever talked about trying to play together in college? I know that you only got to play together one year in high school.

Henry Ellenson: Yes, we have. We have talked about it a little bit.

Gopher Hole: How pleased are you with your AAU season so far?

Henry Ellenson: It is going good. We won three straight tournaments, so it has been fun.

Gopher Hole: Your team played up in the Minnesota Fury Tournament going up against teams in the 16-and-under division. You played against bigger and stronger players. Is that something you like?

Henry Ellenson: I like the competition. I always like the challenge, so it is fun.

Gopher Hole: What things have you been really working on to continue to improve yourself as a player?

Henry Ellenson: Really doing more things off the bounce.

Is there any video on Henry? I haven't been able to find anything, which might not be surprising since he just finished his freshman year...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2F6qR7hUx80" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Clearly not as athletic as Wally.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2F6qR7hUx80" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Clearly not as athletic as Wally.

Totally different games, sizes. Henry looks plenty nimble for a big man.

My god, even as a freshman he looks gigantic. It might be the buzzed head, but he looks like he's about 30. Definitely not the athlete that Wally is, but he seems like he'll be able to take much more abuse. I'd be excited to see him as a Gopher.

He looks like he'd be a great fit as a PF in Tubby's high-low offense. He does a great job of feeding it inside for a big guy. I'd love to get him.

first highlight film of a 6'8" without any dunks. The kid is really thick.

Yes hard to imagine he has that size for a freshman. Now going into his sophomore year he will also have to handle team leadership with Wally gone. Someone pointed out that isn't as athletic as Wally....but neither are 80% of the kids playing d1 ball right now. The thing about Henry is that he has really soft hands and moves really well and shoots great for a big player. He is a totally different type of player than either of his brothers.

Yes hard to imagine he has that size for a freshman. Now going into his sophomore year he will also have to handle team leadership with Wally gone. Someone pointed out that isn't as athletic as Wally....but neither are 80% of the kids playing d1 ball right now. The thing about Henry is that he has really soft hands and moves really well and shoots great for a big player. He is a totally different type of player than either of his brothers.

Very true. Kid catches everything. Skill-wise it's very difficult to point out a real weakness in Henry's game. Pretty impressive for a kid his age and size. If he keeps growing and/or gets a little more explosive as he gets older and grows into his body he has NBA written all over him.

"@ISURecruitLists: 2015 PF Henry Ellenson has picked up an offer from Baylor, adds to Minnesota, Georgetown, Marquette, BC & #Cyclones"

Go Gophers!!

I don't get the Sullinger comparisons at all. Ellenson is listed at 200 lbs. Let's be generous and say he's 240 by the time he graduates. Sullinger was probably 270 when he entered OSU and close to 300 when he left.

Also, there's basically no shot that Ellenson will be even half the college player Sullinger was.

I don't get the Sullinger comparisons at all. Ellenson is listed at 200 lbs. Let's be generous and say he's 240 by the time he graduates. Sullinger was probably 270 when he entered OSU and close to 300 when he left.

Also, there's basically no shot that Ellenson will be even half the college player Sullinger was.

I have zero doubt that at some point in his life, Ellenson was 200 pounds. I also have zero doubt that whatever your source is, it is not reflecting current information. He's a big kid.

Nonetheless, he and Sullinger are very different players and I don't get that comparison either. tOSU certainly had an extraordinary college basketball player... but, there is a lot of upside for Henry.. could be great, but I like him as a 4/3. Don't see him as a "center" or only a low block banger/PF in college. That would be selling him short.

Henry is much bigger than 200 pounds right now. I would guess he's closer to 240 than he is 200, he is quite large for such a young guy. His game is very different from Sullinger's though. He is a good rebounder, but is more of a shooter on the offensive end at this point. He has a great looking stroke, and will be really difficult to defend as he develops his back-to-the-basket game.

Henry is much bigger than 200 pounds right now. I would guess he's closer to 240 than he is 200, he is quite large for such a young guy. His game is very different from Sullinger's though. He is a good rebounder, but is more of a shooter on the offensive end at this point. He has a great looking stroke, and will be really difficult to defend as he develops his back-to-the-basket game.

This. I was going to guess 240 right now too. Definitely at least 230. Not quite sure right now who I would compare him to, but it's not Sullinger.

Listed at 200?

This. I was going to guess 240 right now too. Definitely at least 230. Not quite sure right now who I would compare him to, but it's not Sullinger.

He is a big kid for his age, I would also put him at or over 240.

Q&A: Henry Ellenson on Wally at the U: "He is liking it. He is having fun."

Henry Ellenson on Wally at the U: "He is liking it. He is having fun."
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/181650?referrer_id=331171

Forward Henry Ellenson, the younger brother of current Gophers freshman Wally, is one of the top players in the Midwest in the Class of 2015. However, the Rice Lake (Wis.) High is far from being the baby brother of the family as he is currently 6-foot-9 in bare feet, weights 250 pounds and wears size 18 shoes.

Ellenson has already received a scholarship offer from Minnesota. Gopher Hole recently caught up with Ellenson to learn the latest on his recruitment and the possibility of playing with his brother again in college.

Henry was one of three Ellenson brothers who shined for the Warriors last season, leading them to a 23-2 mark, losing to eventual Division II champion Onalaska 57-47 in the playoffs.

Ellenson, who averaged 12.1 points per game this season, receive his first scholarship offer from Georgetown in April. He has since added offers from Minnesota, Marquette and Iowa State.

Kansas and Wisconsin have attended open gyms and Minnesota, Georgetown, Indiana and Purdue is expected to make the trek to Rice Lake soon.

Gopher Hole: Have you had a chance to play much together as a team?

Henry Ellenson: Not really, because a lot of schools from Rice Lake play football, but some of the guys don’t, so we work out.

Gopher Hole: You obviously lose your brother, but what are the expectations for the upcoming season?

Henry Ellenson: I think that we have a good shot at state and probably winning the conference.

Gopher Hole: You are going to have to be more of the go-to guy this season. Is that something you are looking forward to?

Henry Ellenson: Yes. I will have to step up since Wally is gone.

Gopher Hole: What things have you been really working on to continue to improve yourself as a player?

Henry Ellenson: Really going off the dribble. Going to the rim strong. My shot has been felling good lately, so I am just working on the little things. .

Gopher Hole: What is Minnesota saying to you?

Henry Ellenson: Just keep the hard work up and stuff like that.

Gopher Hole: Have you talked to Wally about playing with him in college? You played together in high school. Have you talked much about that?

Henry Ellenson: Yes, we talked about that a little last year, so we’ll see.

Gopher Hole: Obviously, he is here now. Have you talked much about he likes it here so far?

Henry Ellenson: He is liking it. He is having fun.

High is far from being the baby brother of the family as he is currently 6-foot-9 in bare feet, weights 250 pounds and wears size 18 shoes.

Oh boy. So that means he is 6'-10 1/2" in shoes and that usual results in a big man listed at 6'-11" on a D1 roster.

High is far from being the baby brother of the family as he is currently 6-foot-9 in bare feet, weights 250 pounds and wears size 18 shoes.

Oh boy. So that means he is 6'-10 1/2" in shoes and that usual results in a big man listed at 6'-11" on a D1 roster.

Who says he's 6'9" in bare feet?

Forward Henry Ellenson, the younger brother of current Gophers freshman Wally, is one of the top players in the Midwest in the Class of 2015. However, the Rice Lake (Wis.) High is far from being the baby brother of the family as he is currently 6-foot-9 in bare feet, weights 250 pounds and wears size 18 shoes.

It's a quote from the interview article above

Haha embarrassing. Read the article too quick and somehow didn't realize he was quoting it. That listing seems slightly generous, but I don't really care. He's plenty big enough. Hopefully he and his family like the Gophers in a couple years as much as they do now. Would be huge to get him.

Who says he's 6'9" in bare feet?

If he is really in the 6-10-6-11 range that would be great. Seems we are going PF heavy right now. Maybe Henry could play some center, and for that matter who knows how tall Alex Illikainen will get. Travis Reid would be a great pick-up at PF.

Tweet: "Georgetown on their way to Rice Lake HS watching Ellenson brothers workout today#hardworkpaysoff"

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom