All Things Dawson Garcia Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020): UPDATED: Gophers Offered

There is literally 0% chance of this, we cant beat out Colorado, Texas, or Xavier for kids. How are we going to beat out Duke/UNC/Gonz/UK/Overseas?

We beat out Cal, Wake Forest, Auburn, Connecticut, Florida, Florida State, Georgetown, Illinois, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn, and Yale (according to offer listing on 247) for Mashburn. But I guess that doesn't count because he isn't from Minnesota.

Find kids that want to be here regardless of home state and don't stress about those that don't.

I blame this all on Tyus Jones. If he had committed, it would have started the train to the U.

Wish I could be as positive as the rest of you wishing him success at Marquette. I have no ill-intentions for the kid but we were the first to offer, were the hometown school in desperate need of a PF, and Pitino had been going to his 6AM shoot-arounds for months.

This one is gonna hurt for a while if Pitino has to settle for a Freeman type player late in the Spring recruiting cycle.

We beat out Cal, Wake Forest, Auburn, Connecticut, Florida, Florida State, Georgetown, Illinois, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn, and Yale (according to offer listing on 247) for Mashburn. But I guess that doesn't count because he isn't from Minnesota.

Find kids that want to be here regardless of home state and don't stress about those that don't.

That's cool, but none of those schools compete or recruit on the level of Duke/UNC/UK.

There is literally 0% chance of this, we cant beat out Colorado, Texas, or Xavier for kids. How are we going to beat out Duke/UNC/Gonz/UK/Overseas?

Every kid has different priorities and makes decisions for different reasons. Chet's decision isn't connected to Garcia's or any other player from the past who has chosen to go elsewhere. We also definitely have a greater than 0% chance.

Easy. Recruit better. Pitino isn't a good recruiter. His won/loss record is not good. What more do you need?

He needs to win more. I don't disagree with that. I was responding to your comment implying Pitino hadn't done enough in his recruitment of this particular kid.

That's cool, but none of those schools compete or recruit on the level of Duke/UNC/UK.

I agree. Few schools do. Certainly not many schools with Minnesota's success over the last x number of years. Minnesota will not ever get turned around on the heels of top 35 type talents. We need more 4 year guys like Murphy/Mason/Coffey that get markedly better in 4 years. Not one or two at a time. I'll admit that starts with Pitino.

This won’t be popular, but I am sick of these local kids playing the U!

They are not doing us a favor by stringing us along until the end with no intention of playing at the U. It is much better for them to be honest and let the U move on and not hold a scholarship for them. That seems to be the case for many of these kids, but it felt like this guy kept them guessing. I wonder which players the Gophers lost because they were “holding” a scholarship for him?

This whole greener pastures thing is just an extension of the sports fan pessimistic mentality that infests the state. You can see it in the posts in this thread.

Every kid has different priorities and makes decisions for different reasons. Chet's decision isn't connected to Garcia's or any other player from the past who has chosen to go elsewhere. We also definitely have a greater than 0% chance.
Greater than 0% for Chet sure... but our track record with keeping top in-state talent home is horrible. If we can't keep Garcia home with the promise of starting next year I don't see how Chet picks us over any blue blood school.

Marquette? Blue bloods are one thing but to be honest we need better recruiting. Say what you want but just another kid who put us on his list for PR purposes. Shutout instate with this great class. Time for a change. If this staff did their best obviously that isn’t good enough. Not that the kids care but he will anonymously have a career very few Minnesota basketball fans will notice or care about. Kind of like the household names down there already.

I don't get why everyone is so upset about missing out on these soft suburban kids. Give me a kid from Detroit, Chicago, NYC, or Philly over a kid from Prior Lake, Champlin Park, Lakeville, or Apple Valley any day of the week.

They are not doing us a favor by stringing us along until the end with no intention of playing at the U. It is much better for them to be honest and let the U move on and not hold a scholarship for them. That seems to be the case for many of these kids, but it felt like this guy kept them guessing. I wonder which players the Gophers lost because they were “holding” a scholarship for him?

This whole greener pastures thing is just an extension of the sports fan pessimistic mentality that infests the state. You can see it in the posts in this thread.

What evidence do you have that Garcia played the U/strung us along? Committing to one school doesn't automatically mean you strung along every other school that you had on your list.

I get choose where you feels is best for you but, I do not understand the draw of Marquette. I lived in Milwaukee for 3 years and there might not be a more overrated program in the nation. Not even the best team in the state, campus is not in the nice part of town and campus is average at best, haven't been nationally relevant since D Wade almost 2 decades ago, ok not great academics, same climate as Minneapolis. Unless someone is really draw by the catholic aspect of Marquette, which some are, I don't get why any top ranked recruits go there. Even their 2 best recruits in recent memory from Wisconsin transferred to Real blue bloods.

Yup I wish they'd give it to us straight. Instead, we get continually fucked over by holding a scholie for a kid who has no serious intentions of staying home.

It was the same crap with Matthew Hurt, and I'm sure it will be the same crap with Chet Holmgren. It just sucks... I'd be fine with Pitino avoiding wasting time on Chet next year and going for a kid who actually wants to be here.

Greater than 0% for Chet sure... but our track record with keeping top in-state talent home is horrible. If we can't keep Garcia home with the promise of starting next year I don't see how Chet picks us over any blue blood school.
Not ours, everyone’s track record

What evidence do you have that Garcia played the U/strung us along? Committing to one school doesn't automatically mean you strung along every other school that you had on your list.
Where did he end up committing? I'm guessing we never had a shot but we'll likely never find out.

Where did he end up committing? I'm guessing we never had a shot but we'll likely never find out.

He committed to Marquette, what is your point? Do you really think that every recruit knows exactly where they want to go the moment they start thinking about college? Not committing to a school that recruited you doesn't automatically mean you strung them along.

The strongest evidence is that he went to another school. All reports were that Pitino was working very hard up until today.

Who did the U let slip away while we spend a considerable amount of time on this guy? It happens all the time when kids pick one school, but don’t “do the local school a favor” by just keeping us on the list. If the kids has already moved on, then let the school move on. Don’t waste our time.

Will this decision open the door for Walton?

People also forget that committing to a college (for athletics and otherwise) is about personal fit.

Maybe other people had a different experience, but I attended 2 different colleges. Both times, I went for a visit to the campus and from the moment I stepped foot there, I knew both places were where I was supposed to go.

Recruit an athlete as hard as you want, but if that athlete visits another campus and gets that "click," no amount of recruiting will change that.

Maybe we should just stop recruiting all together so no one can ever say no to us again.
I'm not saying we shouldn't do some courtesy recruiting for Holmgren but I think this year was an eye-opener in terms of where we are at for keeping home top in-state talent.

Spoiler: Even with top-notch facilities and a gaping hole at PF and Pitino getting up at 5AM to go to Garcia's morning shoot-arounds we still lost him to fucking MARQUETTE.

Why not just ask Holmgren to give it to us straight and cut the bullshit so we can either A) go after Holmgren or B) pursue other recruits who want to play for us. In that regard I'm thankful to Suggs for telling us early so we could go after Mashburn instead of holding a scholie for Jalen.

People also forget that committing to a college (for athletics and otherwise) is about personal fit.

Maybe other people had a different experience, but I attended 2 different colleges. Both times, I went for a visit to the campus and from the moment I stepped foot there, I knew both places were where I was supposed to go.

Recruit an athlete as hard as you want, but if that athlete visits another campus and gets that "click," no amount of recruiting will change that.
Apparently that click usually only happens with out state three stars recruits and of course thousands of regular students.

Wish I could be as positive as the rest of you wishing him success at Marquette. I have no ill-intentions for the kid but we were the first to offer, were the hometown school in desperate need of a PF, and Pitino had been going to his 6AM shoot-arounds for months.

This one is gonna hurt for a while if Pitino has to settle for a Freeman type player late in the Spring recruiting cycle.
Again, my recollection is that Texas was the first to offer him. I could be wrong.

I get choose where you feels is best for you but, I do not understand the draw of Marquette. I lived in Milwaukee for 3 years and there might not be a more overrated program in the nation. Not even the best team in the state, campus is not in the nice part of town and campus is average at best, haven't been nationally relevant since D Wade almost 2 decades ago, ok not great academics, same climate as Minneapolis. Unless someone is really draw by the catholic aspect of Marquette, which some are, I don't get why any top ranked recruits go there. Even their 2 best recruits in recent memory from Wisconsin transferred to Real blue bloods.

Would probably just be best to admit you don't follow hoops much. Marquette has been a little inconsistent since Buzz left but 2 decades of relevant?

In the old BE marquette was the ONLY program to make the tourney every year and finish .500 or better in conference every year(only once did they finish .500 and that team went to the sweet 16). They won a BE regular season crown and had another if you count Cuse being vacated. Went sweet 16, sweet 16, elite 8 in 3 straight years

They have sent numerous guys to the NBA since Wade with a handful having legit careers with big contracts.

So yeah, theres a difference.

Top Bottom