All Things Dawson Garcia Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020): UPDATED: Gophers Offered

This one hurts, shut out 2 years in a row on top in-state talent, in deep years is just not acceptable. I could live with it if they were consistently pulling in top 100 kids from out of state, but that's not happening either. If Oturu leaves after this year, they will be in for a world of hurt.

Beard took basketball powerhouse Texas Tech to the Elite 8 in year 2 and the National Title game in year 3.

He's the 1 in 10 year hire. He also turned over the roster. Most times when the situation is worth a firing roster turnover is inevitable especially with most waivers being granted (Thanks NCAA and Pittsburgh)

This hurts. . . .

Climate between Minneapolis and Milwaukee is essentially the same, not a factor. The UofM is a better school overall. Marquette is a notch higher in terms of a hoops program I get that. However over the last 6 years they have done very little. I'm done with Richard. Start over. Flush is down the tubes and start over. This season looks to be around at 10 win season. I know Oturu stayed but to get zero local guys in two years is pitiful.

This hurts. . . .

Climate between Minneapolis and Milwaukee is essentially the same, not a factor. The UofM is a better school overall. Marquette is a notch higher in terms of a hoops program I get that. However over the last 6 years they have done very little. I'm done with Richard. Start over. Flush is down the tubes and start over. This season looks to be around at 10 win season. I know Oturu stayed but to get zero local guys in two years is pitiful.
Pitiful is the key word.

Reminder, Apple Valley High School has had two guys drafted in the first round in the last 5 years and will likely have a third after this season. The last time the Gophers had a player drafted was 15 years ago.

If you can't send guys to the NBA, you're not going to get top flight talent. And if you can't recruit 5 stars, your chances of sending guys to the NBA consistently are not good. The state of Minnesota has produced a ton of basketball talent over the last decade and a half and Rodney Williams is the only 5-star to have a meaningful impact at the U. Until the U hires a coach that can keep more of that talent in state consistently this will be a program where just making the tournament is a big accomplishment.
Rodney wasn't a 5*. He was in the 50-75 range at best. You're likely thinking of Royce White who was top-20.

IMO, I do not understand the Marquette choice. Garcia stated he likes how Marquette uses their bigs. Theo John and Ed Morrow screen and rebound. They rarely get touches in the post or on the perimeter. Wojo's offense is guard oriented. Though maybe that will change with how many forwards they have commitments from for next year.

Another red flag to me is why the Hauser brothers left. Maybe that has more to do with Howard still there than anything, but nonetheless, this decision seems odd to me.

The strongest evidence is that he went to another school. All reports were that Pitino was working very hard up until today.

Who did the U let slip away while we spend a considerable amount of time on this guy? It happens all the time when kids pick one school, but don’t “do the local school a favor” by just keeping us on the list. If the kids has already moved on, then let the school move on. Don’t waste our time.

So you truly believe that when a player commits somewhere, it means he was stringing along every other team on his list? So in other words, every player always knows where they are going from the very beginning? You realize that doesn't make any sense, right?

Do not get me wrong: I do not blame Richard for not being able to reel in Garcia or any one particular local top recruit, but I AM disappointed at not being able to land a single one of them in 7 years in a run of unprecedented local talent. Throw in a 40-70 conference record on top of that, and it's clear that this is what we have in RP, and I do not begrudge anyone who feels we can and should do better. I'm in that camp.

Do not get me wrong: I do not blame Richard for not being able to reel in Garcia or any one particular local top recruit, but I AM disappointed at not being able to land a single one of them in 7 years in a run of unprecedented local talent. Throw in a 40-70 conference record on top of that, and it's clear that this is what we have in RP, and I do not begrudge anyone who feels we can and should do better. I'm in that camp.

I a 100% Pitino-bobo, and even I am losing patience.

Would you feel the same way if they had made the tournament following the 2017-2018 season and would be riding a three year tournament run? I think that is the hardest part for me to reconcile. If not for the Lynch suspension and injuries to Curry/Coffey/McBrayer/Mason, I believe that would have been a tournament team. I have a hard time blaming him for how that year ended.

It's bigger than RP as stated in an earlier post. Very few stay! Just look at the top 25 list and see where they committed too. 4 of them are staying in their home state. The top North Carolina kid is going to Michigan! Kids follow brands, coaches, and they want to move from their home state. This isn't just an athlete thing either. Kids go to colleges other places. I don't blame Richard much for his recruiting now that Kimani is gone and he stopped recruiting scuzzballs. Develop and we will get awesome great kids who want to be Gophers.

What is Richards brand? Honest question. I've watched gopher hoops since 1980's and I couldn't tell you. With PJ it's easy. Richard inspires nothing but a laugh at his funny tweets.

This one hurts, shut out 2 years in a row on top in-state talent, in deep years is just not acceptable. I could live with it if they were consistently pulling in top 100 kids from out of state, but that's not happening either. If Oturu leaves after this year, they will be in for a world of hurt.
No, he’ll be gone too.

What is Richards brand? Honest question. I've watched gopher hoops since 1980's and I couldn't tell you. With PJ it's easy. Richard inspires nothing but a laugh at his funny tweets.

Been his major issue. Initially he wanted to press and have a bunch of guards. He's admittedly changed that and it's hurting him no doubt. I'm a huge PJ guy (was before he came here), but that style isn't for everybody either. I see us in the last 3 recruiting cycles with a brand. We are getting athletic wings who are willing to defend first and can shoot the ball. Taking some swings on pick and pop bigs who are athletic and being looked over by others with the intention and belief that we will develop them. I'm sure most will be like who have we developed and blah blah blah, but I like it. I finally see a vision.

All the same vultures are out. Must be tough for them to see in the daylight since they have been hiding in a cave for the last year.

Not a vulture. . . . Just sick of the mediocrity for decades. This year will be a bottom 1/3rd of the big ten year, best case. Next year could be worse if Otutu continues to blow up and bolts for the NBA.

So you truly believe that when a player commits somewhere, it means he was stringing along every other team on his list? So in other words, every player always knows where they are going from the very beginning? You realize that doesn't make any sense, right?

In many cases, yes. Not all, many.

All the same vultures are out. Must be tough for them to see in the daylight since they have been hiding in a cave for the last year.

Don't consider myself a vulture, consider myself a Pitino guy, but I'm concerned. To me it's red flag that Gophers aren't going to land not even one of the 7 main Minnesota kids from the 2020 class. (but I excuse not getting Suggs, he was never coming here)

Cringing at the thought of the 2020-21 season if Oturu continues to progress and bolts for the professional ranks next season.

Don't consider myself a vulture, consider myself a Pitino guy, but I'm concerned. To me it's red flag that Gophers aren't going to land not even one of the 7 main Minnesota kids from the 2020 class. (but I excuse not getting Suggs, he was never coming here)

Cringing at the thought of the 2020-21 season if Oturu continues to progress and bolts for the professional ranks next season.

Exactly. I'm a Pitino guy too, but in year 7, his program should be in full swing. Its not. Its stuck in neutral, and slowly going backwards down a hill. If Oturu bolts, which is looking like he should, Gophers are screwed.

Hate is a strong word but what if they are simply not impressed.
D1MN just does a better Job of getting their players options. Look at the last few in-state commits. Who other than Oturu had better options than the Gophers. Gabes only HM offer was from the Gophers, and Jarvis' only commitble HM offer was from the Gophers.

It's bigger than RP as stated in an earlier post. Very few stay! Just look at the top 25 list and see where they committed too. 4 of them are staying in their home state. The top North Carolina kid is going to Michigan! Kids follow brands, coaches, and they want to move from their home state. This isn't just an athlete thing either. Kids go to colleges other places. I don't blame Richard much for his recruiting now that Kimani is gone and he stopped recruiting scuzzballs. Develop and we will get awesome great kids who want to be Gophers.
I agree that it doesn't matter where the recruits come from; the only thing that matters is whether you win. Back to the 40-70 record, including a season that's objectively, arguably the worst in program history. All this local talent has been an opportunity to change that reality, and it's been an opportunity lost.

I've always been a Pitino supporter but when you factor in his overall poor recruiting success (especially in-state guys), terrible Conference record, lack of brand and just a complete lack of buzz surrounding his program, it's time to move on after this season. Seven (7) years is plenty of time to build a program and show progress and he's done neither IMO. I used to watch every second of Gopher hoops games and now I couldn't even tell you when our games are. Total apathy has set in for this guy regarding the Men's Basketball program much like the Men's Hockey program. The lack of butts in seats at both venues proves I must not be the only one feeling this way.

I'm an avid Pitino supporter but even my patience is wearing a little thin. This Garcia recruiting loss is not from Pitino's lack of effort from what I've heard, but it hurts nonetheless.

If we can get a rockstar hire for the 2020-21 season I'm all for it but losing Mashburn Jr. and Mitchell wouldn't exactly help the program right now. Otherwise I say we ride it out one more year and see what happens.

I would still like to see this season play out. After a pretty nice finish to the season last year, not many were calling for his head. Now a 1-3 start and missing out on a handful of 19 year old Minnesota kids but being replaced by two out of state kids ranked as high as the Minnesota kids we "missed" on with the exception of Garcia and it's regime change time apparently. I think the fan base is way too knee jerk and puts too much emphasis on Minnesota kids. If the season falls flat and recruiting stalls, then I might also change my tune. In the meantime, I will enjoy this season.

I would still like to see this season play out. After a pretty nice finish to the season last year, not many were calling for his head. Now a 1-3 start and missing out on a handful of 19 year old Minnesota kids but being replaced by two out of state kids ranked as high as the Minnesota kids we "missed" on with the exception of Garcia and it's regime change time apparently. I think the fan base is way too knee jerk and puts too much emphasis on Minnesota kids. If the season falls flat and recruiting stalls, then I might also change my tune. In the meantime, I will enjoy this season.

Agreed. Nothing to gain from firing him now unless you want to give Jeter a fair shake.

Also, just because you havent fired Pitino doesnt mean Coyle cant send out feelers

D1MN just does a better Job of getting their players options. Look at the last few in-state commits. Who other than Oturu had better options than the Gophers. Gabes only HM offer was from the Gophers, and Jarvis' only commitble HM offer was from the Gophers.
I think if Coffey hadn’t been injured in High School he would have went elsewhere. A list of bad transfers and spring recruits is ridiculous. Look at this season’s roster. Great move signing Michael Hurt,three transfers and a bunch of projects. We have one quality big ten starter. Unless a couple freshmen step up big time this season is headed to a disaster

My expectation has never been that they'd make the NCAAs this year (although that's actually indicative of the problem). But I do think they should have been able to beat at least one of their past three quality opponents. And my concern is that, unless they get a whole lot better, we're looking at no postseason at all. I do think there's enough talent on this roster for them to compete, but their lack of a good power forward is a house-size hole.

I think if Coffey hadn’t been injured in High School he would have went elsewhere. A list of bad transfers and spring recruits is ridiculous. Look at this season’s roster. Great move signing Michael Hurt,three transfers and a bunch of projects. We have one quality big ten starter. Unless a couple freshmen step up big time this season is headed to a disaster
2 big ten starters. Gabe K may not be a star, but he can play. Lots of teams could use a good defender and knock down 3 point shooter. This team is asking for him to do things out of his comfort zone

Top Bottom