All Things Dawson Garcia Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020): UPDATED: Gophers Offered

This. No one is asking him to land Tyus Jones or bat .1000 on the others. But the batting average is way too low. That combined with the on-court results and it's hard to find reasons to continue this era.

Ideally, he'd be batting much higher than .100.

I really just don’t understand the draw to Marquette. Would be a strange choice for him.
If one looks at it from the perspective of someone who isn't biased toward the U, what's strange about it? It's relatively close to home, it's a solid, reputable school academically, it's private (maybe that appeals to him, I have no idea), it's Catholic (maybe that appeals to him, I have no idea), and is a vastly better basketball program than ours, particularly historically but also recently as well. It doesn't seem like a strange choice to me at all. It's not like we're talking about Northern Iowa or Florida Gulf Coast.

If one looks at it from the perspective of someone who isn't biased toward the U, what's strange about it? It's relatively close to home, it's a solid, reputable school academically, it's private (maybe that appeals to him, I have no idea), it's Catholic (maybe that appeals to him, I have no idea), and is a vastly better basketball program than ours, particularly historically but also recently as well. It doesn't seem like a strange choice to me at all. It's not like we're talking about Northern Iowa or Florida Gulf Coast.

I think its a stretch to claim Marquette is a vastly better basketball program. Thats simply not supported during the time that Wojo has been their coach. But, if he likes Marquette, so be it.

Exactly! Like i said before, its almost like everyone includes us in their top 5 just to be nice to us lol
It’s smart, I think.
Why burn a bridge? What if you decide you want to come home, after all?

I get if you want to leave the state or some other school is better for your field of study, but too many of the locals think the grass will be greener somewhere else. All these guys want to go elsewhere because the perception of the program, but if these guys would just come together and want to play with their buddies here at the U things could be unbelievable. Things will be fine with us because there are other players and other states, but until we get more of the guys like last year where they want to play together and represent the state, its gonna be like pulling teeth to get guys here. Someone needs to follow Oturu's lead and make the move! Pitino and staff worked their ass off to get Garcia! Cant make people go here!

Why would they follow Oturo's lead? Look at what it will end up getting him. He will probably exit Minnesota with 1, 2 at best NCAA tournament experiences. And a couple bad seasons. That is why guys don't come here, it has nothing to do with cold weather, etc. It has everything to do with winning, not winning to be specific. The only way to turn this program around is to grab guys that aren't highly rated and mold them to your system so that the WINS start to come. Once the wins come, the better players will follow. Until then, expect more of this.

I get if you want to leave the state or some other school is better for your field of study, but too many of the locals think the grass will be greener somewhere else. All these guys want to go elsewhere because the perception of the program, but if these guys would just come together and want to play with their buddies here at the U things could be unbelievable. Things will be fine with us because there are other players and other states, but until we get more of the guys like last year where they want to play together and represent the state, its gonna be like pulling teeth to get guys here. Someone needs to follow Oturu's lead and make the move! Pitino and staff worked their ass off to get Garcia! Cant make people go here!
No, you can't make people go here. You can make people want to go here though. Win and everything will take care of itself.

Have to get tough. Recruit guards that can shoot and DO NOT turn it over. Recruit the heck out of #4's that lunchpail their way through the game, play great defense and rebound, strong, they don't have to score 6-8 points of garbage buckets is all you need. Your #2 doesn't have to have speed, athleticm, or anything else, but he along with your #3 has to have a quick release and able to knock down 3's, LOTS of them. Any open 3 should be converted. None of this is rocket science, but our staff seems to have trouble putting together a roster that doesn't lack these things.

What more do you think they should do to make it "enough"?
Unless they do a 180 we're looking at a 5-7 win B1G season and Pitino being ~38 games under .500 in conference play 7 years in. Having a huge recruiting class helps one be willing to give it 1 more year. It appears we will not have that.

The incessant, implicit drumbeat in the latter part of this thread continues what we've heard now for years: you can't win at Minnesota. Which ultimately is a copout acceptance of where things are at and the current coaching regime. Honestly, if the last 7 years are good enough for people, I'm not going to try and convince you you're not happy. But don't try to claim that we can't do better. We've seen much better in our lifetimes.

The incessant, implicit drumbeat in the latter part of this thread continues what we've heard now for years: you can't win at Minnesota. Which ultimately is a copout acceptance of where things are at and the current coaching regime. Honestly, if the last 7 years are good enough for people, I'm not going to try and convince you you're not happy. But don't try to claim that we can't do better. We've seen much better in our lifetimes.
Surely they can do better. It takes 7 good ones to have a really good bball team. They need an identity though. Clem won here because they had an identity. They were going to outwork you and they just flat out wouldn't give away a win in the barn.

I'm with you. Look at what the football program is doing!! Doesn't take much and doesn't take long. It can be done.

Unless they do a 180 we're looking at a 5-7 win B1G season and Pitino being ~38 games under .500 in conference play 7 years in. Having a huge recruiting class helps one be willing to give it 1 more year. It appears we will not have that.

I was really referring to how much more the coaching staff should have done to recruit this kid. References to lazy recruiting and not doing enough are what drive me crazy. The bottom line for me is this team has had a very below average level of success in the Big Ten over the last 30/40/50 years and a mediocre history of developing players for the NBA. Winning and development matters more than some perceived notion of representing the State of Minnesota. What percentage of the Minnesota population could even name the five starters on the basketball team, much less where they are from? This team doesn't have a Vikings-like following. Dawson wouldn't be a "hero" if he came here. He should do what is in his best interest.

If we ever land a five star recruit, it would be a major coup given our recent track record and the current state of affairs where these types of recruits rarely stay home.

I can certainly listen to criticism of Pitino, but his track record of recruiting Minnesota kids (particularly at the top end of the recruit rankings) isn't at the top of the list of criticisms for me.

That's a fair post Bad Gopher.

I think its a stretch to claim Marquette is a vastly better basketball program. Thats simply not supported during the time that Wojo has been their coach. But, if he likes Marquette, so be it.

Two Tournament appearances in 5 years, 2nd place in a tough Big East last year, a .478 conference winning percentage compared to our .364 under Pitino. It's certainly better over the last few years, and vastly better all-time, which is what I stated and was my larger point.

Why would they follow Oturo's lead? Look at what it will end up getting him. He will probably exit Minnesota with 1, 2 at best NCAA tournament experiences.

Who has left with more in the last 15 years?

Who has left with more in the last 15 years?

Every kid that has left Minnesota to go to Wisconsin for starters.

What I am saying is that a 4 or 5 star recruit can go somewhere where every year they are in the dance and probably advancing. Possible conference championships, etc. Here they are lucky to finish above 6 in the conference and maybe bubble team it once every 2-3 years. It's probably an easy choice if you are a big time recruit.

Have to build an identity and win with lesser players first if we really want these chances at top guys.

Surely they can do better. It takes 7 good ones to have a really good bball team. They need an identity though. Clem won here because they had an identity. They were going to outwork you and they just flat out wouldn't give away a win in the barn.

I'm with you. Look at what the football program is doing!! Doesn't take much and doesn't take long. It can be done.
Football is quite a bit tougher than basketball, in fact.

What I am saying is that a 4 or 5 star recruit can go somewhere where every year they are in the dance and probably advancing. Possible conference championships, etc. Here they are lucky to finish above 6 in the conference and maybe bubble team it once every 2-3 years. It's probably an easy choice if you are a big time recruit.

Have to build an identity and win with lesser players first if we really want these chances at top guys.

I'm saying that Daniel would be improving the accomplishment of all the others. Don't disagree with your assessment of finding lesser and teaching and making them better.

Go Gophs i agree with alot of what your saying, but also if some of these guys picked the u we would win. Just to continually hear that nobody wants to come here because we dont win gets old. Yes your absolutely right, working with the guys and getting better is what we need to do, but it cant hurt to get some of these guys also to change the perception of the program.

Bummer for sure. I feel he did very strongly consider us.

But not in the least concerned about where a kid comes from. Love local kids but won't cheer for Mashburn or Mitchell any differently. Very confident we will land someone good in the spring.

Go Gophs i agree with alot of what your saying, but also if some of these guys picked the u we would win. Just to continually hear that nobody wants to come here because we dont win gets old. Yes your absolutely right, working with the guys and getting better is what we need to do, but it cant hurt to get some of these guys also to change the perception of the program.
Oh yes, for sure. These kids are looking out for themselves though, usually. Not the University. Look at our football program. PJ Fleck has this team in the national championship conversation and he is doing it with 3 star guys that they have coached up and gotten the very best out of in system that works for them.
They have also hit on a few guys that were rated lower, but ended up being much more than that. If this season keeps going well and they end up in a Rose Bowl or CFP game? You watch the recruits he will get the next few seasons.

Same with the Bball. You're going to have to, at some point, challenge for a conference title, or make a sweet sixteen or something with lesser players if you truly want that shot at the big dogs.

If just 2 of the top MN recruits joined the U they would be instant contenders for B1G champions and obviously favorites to be in the dance.

This one makes me sad. Although he will probably be a pro within a couple of years, he is classy kid and great player and would have substantially upgraded this roster,

Oh yes, for sure. These kids are looking out for themselves though, usually. Not the University. Look at our football program. PJ Fleck has this team in the national championship conversation and he is doing it with 3 star guys that they have coached up and gotten the very best out of in system that works for them.
They have also hit on a few guys that were rated lower, but ended up being much more than that. If this season keeps going well and they end up in a Rose Bowl or CFP game? You watch the recruits he will get the next few seasons.

Same with the Bball. You're going to have to, at some point, challenge for a conference title, or make a sweet sixteen or something with lesser players if you truly want that shot at the big dogs.
Our staff now teaches better than before. It will show as the year goes on. I feel we are starting to build it. Might be too late sadly

Top Bottom