All Things Dawson Garcia Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020): UPDATED: Gophers Offered

Good luck to Dawson. Now its time to find our next Jordan Murphy, Nate Mason, Eric Curry, so on and so forth. Don't care where our players come from so long as they're good and represent UM well.

it will hurt for today (pun intended) and probably sting tomorrow. after a few beers this weekend and watching the football team ill be fine.

We know what Pitinio is at this point. After 7 years? of coaching, i doubt he gets better. I say this because of his lineage. What else can he learn?

Such a big disappointment. I don’t get it, all the time and effort you put into a local talent and we were probably the last on his list on his school choice. I just hope we can find better talent elsewhere win and prove most of our local talent wrong.

Reminder, Apple Valley High School has had two guys drafted in the first round in the last 5 years and will likely have a third after this season. The last time the Gophers had a player drafted was 15 years ago.

If you can't send guys to the NBA, you're not going to get top flight talent. And if you can't recruit 5 stars, your chances of sending guys to the NBA consistently are not good. The state of Minnesota has produced a ton of basketball talent over the last decade and a half and Rodney Williams is the only 5-star to have a meaningful impact at the U. Until the U hires a coach that can keep more of that talent in state consistently this will be a program where just making the tournament is a big accomplishment.

Would probably just be best to admit you don't follow hoops much. Marquette has been a little inconsistent since Buzz left but 2 decades of relevant?

In the old BE marquette was the ONLY program to make the tourney every year and finish .500 or better in conference every year(only once did they finish .500 and that team went to the sweet 16). They won a BE regular season crown and had another if you count Cuse being vacated. Went sweet 16, sweet 16, elite 8 in 3 straight years

They have sent numerous guys to the NBA since Wade with a handful having legit careers with big contracts.

So yeah, theres a difference.
Still no evidence that a kid makes the NBA because he attended a certain college

This won’t be popular, but I am sick of these local kids playing the U!

They are not doing us a favor by stringing us along until the end with no intention of playing at the U. It is much better for them to be honest and let the U move on and not hold a scholarship for them. That seems to be the case for many of these kids, but it felt like this guy kept them guessing. I wonder which players the Gophers lost because they were “holding” a scholarship for him?

This whole greener pastures thing is just an extension of the sports fan pessimistic mentality that infests the state. You can see it in the posts in this thread.
I like your thought process. Hold scholarships because you think a local talent would stay and sign on but get stiffed in the end. Terrible, I’m sure it happens all over the country but when your a die hard Gopher fan it just disappoints me.

So disappointing. But hope he does well and spends just one year there. Or alternatively turns into the next Dahlman or Illikanen(sp). I'm bitter.

Two developments that might kill Pitino - Coffee turing pro (we essentially have a four man team now) and then this today - It looked like next year with Dawson we had a good team... but... curse of MN kids leaving the state...

This does not surprise me but who knows why he chose Marquette? Maybe his girlfriend is going there. Or numerous other reasons why many excellent MN hoops players leave the state. I get the guys who have gone to Duke.

Where is U of Marquette anyway? At least Garcia won't be in the BIG unlike those (Davison, Ruevers, Lueur, Taylor types) who go to Wisky and come home and totally enjoy beating the Gophers! That is a slap in the face.

Pitino has been a huge failure in his recruitment process of MN kids. Say what you want, but there is a lot of value in having Minnesota players on the roster. IMO, a program needs players who stay home. They are the heart and soul of a program. MN kids leaving says a lot about Pitino's program as many excellent MN players have shuned Pitino. Fleck has work to do in locking down the borders but RP is way behind PJ.

This is embarrassing. At this point we should be top 3 in the conference. It is time to move on and start over.

Two developments that might kill Pitino - Coffee turing pro (we essentially have a four man team now) and then this today - It looked like next year with Dawson we had a good team... but... curse of MN kids leaving the state...

This. I believe the decision for him to go to Marquette is the final nail in RP coffin. 19/20 team is not going to win enough.

Yeah its going to be hard to sit through this losing season knowing that there is not much hope for the future. A Garcia commitment would have changed the outlook and made sitting through this season easier. As it is attendance will be way down and Coyle will not be happy with that. I like Pitino but think there are better coaches out there. Mussleman? Fife? Yaklich?

These kids are overrated ball players anyway (Suggs excluded, he got game)

The strongest evidence is that he went to another school. All reports were that Pitino was working very hard up until today.

Who did the U let slip away while we spend a considerable amount of time on this guy? It happens all the time when kids pick one school, but don’t “do the local school a favor” by just keeping us on the list. If the kids has already moved on, then let the school move on. Don’t waste our time.
I know of several highly successful coaches who literally do not hold scholarships for anyone. They often miss on top targets, rarely get local talent and still win conference titles and national titles. They are not the blue blood schools but win like them. Is there any evidence we held a scholarship for Garcia. This staff did a tremendous job on this recruit and were truly in it to the end.

I tried to make my own thread/post but it was too long (!). If anyone is interested in reading it I copied it to Google Docs (it's literally 2500 words) on Gopher recruiting from Clem through Pitino.

I am confident that Pitino is by far the worst in-state recruiter of any coach in my lifetime (and likely further back since the Gophers were good in the 70's and 80's) and that this year in particular is his biggest miss yet. Losing a top 30 ish kid like Dawson Garcia to Marquette did not happen to Clem, Monson, or Tubby. It's 3 of the last 4 years now where Pitino has lost really good in state kids to non-blue bloods and he's not getting equivalent talent from someplace else. If Hurt, Nnajii or Reuvers was the Gophers 4 this year, they wouldn't be a dumpster fire. The next kid during Pitino's tenure from Wisconsin with a Wisconsin or Marquette offer to choose the Gophers will be the first. There have been at least 3 and as many as 6 Minnesota kids with a Gopher offer to go to Wisconsin or Marquette.

I know of several highly successful coaches who literally do not hold scholarships for anyone. They often miss on top targets, rarely get local talent and still win conference titles and national titles. They are not the blue blood schools but win like them. Is there any evidence we held a scholarship for Garcia. This staff did a tremendous job on this recruit and were truly in it to the end.
Preach my man. Staff gave a good effort, Will now move on to next target.

Does Jeremy Miller coach of Adidas MN hate Pitino and/or the Gophers? Something smells bad with these programs....

I tried to make my own thread/post but it was too long (!). If anyone is interested in reading it I copied it to Google Docs (it's literally 2500 words) on Gopher recruiting from Clem through Pitino.

I am confident that Pitino is by far the worst in-state recruiter of any coach in my lifetime (and likely further back since the Gophers were good in the 70's and 80's) and that this year in particular is his biggest miss yet. Losing a top 30 ish kid like Dawson Garcia to Marquette did not happen to Clem, Monson, or Tubby. It's 3 of the last 4 years now where Pitino has lost really good in state kids to non-blue bloods and he's not getting equivalent talent from someplace else. If Hurt, Nnajii or Reuvers was the Gophers 4 this year, they wouldn't be a dumpster fire. The next kid during Pitino's tenure from Wisconsin with a Wisconsin or Marquette offer to choose the Gophers will be the first. There have been at least 3 and as many as 6 Minnesota kids with a Gopher offer to go to Wisconsin or Marquette.

I love that you pulled the data. My only comment towards it is that the recruiting landscape has changed and isn't nearly as regional anymore. The fair argument back would be the amount of kids that we lost to Wisconsin , but that was also prior to Richard. No doubt I think we do better in state if we have a system and win more.

Hate is a strong word but what if they are simply not impressed.

I've heard similar things. My issue was they had this bias from the start of the hire whereas Rene Pulley gave them a chance. Jarvis Johnson is the perfect example. He was a huge no to MN until he left D1 and went to Pulley.

Even the Pulley folks do not think he is the best coach to offer their kids. Coaches are hired to overcome whatever obstacles they face. Boo williams has turned out a plethora of talent and UVA can not get them but it has not stopped UVA from winning big. Villanova has lost several Philadelphia players but it has not stopped them. Bo Ryan and UW have lost a ton of kids but found them elsewhere and won. Great coaches find players that fit what they are looking for and win.

Can you link me the google doc? Not sure where to find it eg

Looking forward to Coyle's Men's BB hire.
I'm not. A coaching transition is going to mean three lousy years following, in all likelihood, considering the transfer rules. We have a coach, and I plan to enjoy the season and watch the players get better. I hope to see Mashburn and Mitchell on court next year and a good spring signee or two. As it stands today, we are in good shape to have a good season next year and perhaps, before it is over, a good one this year.

No thanks to the sky is falling crowd.

If and when we bring on a new coach, I will be 100% with him.

For me, now is not the time to think about the next coach. That is Coyle's job. This team deserves to play out this season. If and when the time comes it does not need to set back the program. Great coaches build something that you can see something special right away. Sure the wins will come hard for awhile but when it prospers it results in actual championships.

I'm not. A coaching transition is going to mean three lousy years following, in all likelihood, considering the transfer rules. We have a coach, and I plan to enjoy the season and watch the players get better. I hope to see Mashburn and Mitchell on court next year and a good spring signee or two. As it stands today, we are in good shape to have a good season next year and perhaps, before it is over, a good one this year.

No thanks to the sky is falling crowd.

If and when we bring on a new coach, I will be 100% with him.

Pitino won the NIT his first year and had his best year in his 4th.

A coaching change doesn’t have to mean in all likelihood three lousy years following.

Pitino won the NIT his first year and had his best year in his 4th.

A coaching change doesn’t have to mean in all likelihood three lousy years following.

Spot on here. Why wound we assume 3 lousy years? A new coach doesn’t mean your best players are all going to leave the program.

Top Bottom