All Things Citrus Bowl/Orlando Travel Tips, Plans, Hotels, Tickets, Actities and More

Cheapest Flights Out of MSP. Book One Way Flights on Different Airlines

1/29 - $209 American Airlines
1/30 - $129 American Airlines
1/31 - $143 American Airlines

Cheapest Flights out of Orlando Area (within 100 miles)
1/2 - $211 - Daytona Beach (US Airways)
1/3 - $329 - Tampa (Spirit)
1/4 - $329 - Tampa (Spirit) / Daytona Beach (US Airways)
1/5 - $159 - Tampa (Spirit) / Daytona Beach (Delta)

I want to bump this because I just booked it and everyone else should to-and to clarify that the departures are for December not January. See you all downtown for a NYE gopher hoops party!

What is best Hotel downtown to stay at (without paying $250 per night)?

Thanks for the information! I just got my parking pass.

Now I just have to figure out whether to wear maroon or gold

FYI - It was noted in another thread, or perhaps in this one already, the Gophers will be the home team and thus home team unis for the Citrus Bowl. So I would say definitely maroon for the game, but bring both sets anyways. :D

Thanks Golden Boy, Updated the dates to December and Adding in Leaving from Orlando Only to add value for posting this again.

Cheapest Flights Out of MSP to Orlando (MCO). Book One Way Flights on Different Airlines

12/29 - $209 American Airlines
12/30 - $129 American Airlines
12/31 - $143 American Airlines

Cheapest Flights out of Orlando Area (within 100 miles)
1/2 - $211 - Daytona Beach (US Airways)
1/3 - $329 - Tampa (Spirit)
1/4 - $329 - Tampa (Spirit) / Daytona Beach (US Airways)
1/5 - $159 - Tampa (Spirit) / Daytona Beach (Delta)

Cheapest Flights Out of Orlando Only
1/2 - $460 (American Airlines)
1/3 - $599 (Delta)
1/4 - $411 (Sun Country)
1/5 - $242 (Delta)

Damn, I wish I'd known about this bowl game earlier. The immediate and portions of the extended fam are going down to Florida for the holidays this year. We've got travel and lodgings paid for already...but we're scheduled to leave on the 30th. Would've been fun.

Which Downtown Hotels are popular ?

We're looking at staying downtown with the idea of Gopher fans and New Year's Eve and all. Saw that the DoubleTree downtown on Ivanhoe was mentioned somewhere on here. We're curiously what others were planning.
I'll shut up and listen.

Aloft Orlando is right in the middle of the bar scene and restaurant action and is brand new.

Depending on your price thresholds, there will definitely be a large concentration of Gopher fans at the Hyatt Regency Orlando of course. The official Alumni Association hotel.

Minnesota Alumni Association Tailgate Party tickets are available. Just $69

This sounds like a really good option for those who may be making their own travel arrangement outside of a charter group, but want to join the rest of their fellow Gopher fans before the game for the official tailgate party.

Here are the details from the website (link to it is below):

"Join fellow Gophers at the Minnesota Alumni Association official Pregame Event! Enjoy a hot buffet, beer, wine, and entertainment before heading over to the big game. Go Gophers!"

PACKAGE INCLUDES:

Hot Buffet
Beer & wine
Entertainment

http://www.groupminder.com/internet/resBasePak.cfm?cstId=100&evtId=20&evtName=2015%20Minnesota%20Buffalo%20Wild%20Wings%20Citrus%20Bowl&sessionId=GTTCSTINTER_100_2_17_3570517_84769814&CFID=3570517&CFTOKEN=84769814&browser=Google%20Chrome&redirect=1&js=1&res=1&pdf=7&ck=1

$600 is super expensive for Orlando, but where do go that's exotic for only $600?

I am in Riviera Maya right now, and our flights to Cancun were $340. My travel agent booked me an all inclusive, 7 nights, ocean front room, with direct airfare and airport transfers to Mazatlan this coming February for $870. My flight to the Bahamas this year was $600 (and I had a $400 credit, which was a bonus), basically anywhere in Mexico, Jamaica, etc. for under this price. If you want my travel agent's info, I can pass it along. She just booked someone to Florence, Italy for $800...and that's about what flights are for Orlando!

Nadine: Thanks for all the foot work you do on behalf of Gopherholers and Gopher fans in general. I am certain it is much appreciated by all. Cheers!

You're very welcome. I wish it was a for sure thing, but I should know in the next day or so. I'm crossing my fingers for it!

Air only would be great, I'd rather arrange my own hotel. That way, those of us who want luxury can have it, and those that just want a cheap motel with Froot Loops for the continental breakfast can have it.

Exactly. And most of us want to choose our locations. Just make it easy to get there, that's what the U should be doing.

Sun Country may be limited on how much they can do. They do not have an overly large fleet of aircraft.
A number of other Airlines should also be contacted. There is a large demand for these seats. We do want to suppot the hometown airline first.
The U needs to put some effort into this and not drop the ball.

My son in law owns some lakeshore in Orlando. We will fly in his private jet from Phoenix to Orlando, and sleep on the beach. Ticket prices are no big deal, because he is going to sponsor a 3-day party on the tarmac with BWW catering the whole shebang. If you can find us, join us.

They must have opened more lots for parking. I just reserved mine at the following link. https://buffalowildwingscitrusbowl.clickandpark.com/. $32....cheapest thing so far about this trip! Can't wait!! Go Gophers!

Thanks a lot! Just got a pass for Lot L. Had called around noon and was assured I would be called when another lot opened up. Never got a call--why am I not surprised?

Sun Country will not do this without making some money on the deal.

Sun Country may be limited on how much they can do. They do not have an overly large fleet of aircraft.
A number of other Airlines should also be contacted. There is a large demand for these seats. We do want to suppot the hometown airline first.
The U needs to put some effort into this and not drop the ball.

I know that Sun country is a sponser of U athletics and one of there owners is an Alumn so they are probably trying to work something. Keep in mind though even with lower fuel prices there is no way they make money at the suggest $300 round trip mark, heck Greyhound wants 300 round trip and that is a 17 hour bus ride.

If you can find flights that are 450 to 550 round trip on a charter with the amounts air fair is costing to Orlando this time of year consider that quite the deal. We would be lucky if that came about and the planes would sell out quickly.

All Field Level Seats look to be sold out

Field Level Corner (Sec. 141) $85.00 (Sold out)
Field Level Goal (Sec. 139) $100.00 (Sold out)
Field Level Midfield (Sec. 134-135) $130.00 (Sold out)
Field Level Red Zone (Sec. 136-137) $120.00 (Sold out)

Can't make money on airfares of $300? Are you insane? I have never paid over $300 for flights to LA, Phoenix, Vegas, Miami, DC or New York. I am pretty sure they can make it work. And prices were at $300 just a few weeks ago. The prices went up so much because the demand is there to charge it, not because that is what they have to charge to turn a profit

Can't make money on airfares of $300? Are you insane? I have never paid over $300 for flights to LA, Phoenix, Vegas, Miami, DC or New York. I am pretty sure they can make it work. And prices were at $300 just a few weeks ago. The prices went up so much because the demand is there to charge it, not because that is what they have to charge to turn a profit

But not everyone on those flights paid $300.

They could definitely make money at $450 RT if they fill the planes. Not to mention the positive publicity from making this work for so many fans.

I live in West Des Moines, which is actually quite nice and affluent. Comparable to a Maple Grove or Edina I'd say.

My cousin lives in the same area...it is nice. I think Don was more referring to the hate of IA in general and not taking a shot at you in particular.

All Field Level Seats look to be sold out

Field Level Corner (Sec. 141) $85.00 (Sold out)
Field Level Goal (Sec. 139) $100.00 (Sold out)
Field Level Midfield (Sec. 134-135) $130.00 (Sold out)
Field Level Red Zone (Sec. 136-137) $120.00 (Sold out)
Fantastic! Keep it up Gopher family. Ski-U-Mah!

Keep in mind, the entire lower level of the stadium was torn down and re-built - this will be the first Citrus Bowl with the renovated stadium.

We just locked down four seats in P41-43 - should be a good view, directly above the marching band.

Segment on stadium. Looks significantly nicer than what I envisioned. I had heard it was a dump but 90% new according to this news feature:

http://m.wftv.com/news/news/local/citrus-bowl-ready-florida-classic-weekend/nh95G/

I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but why not have a gopherhole fundraiser/ tailgate before the game to raise money for the website. If the alumni assoc is going to try and raise money, why not the site. I get more benefit from the site than the assoc. just a thought

My cousin lives in the same area...it is nice. I think Don was more referring to the hate of IA in general and not taking a shot at you in particular.

West Des Moines area is aok. Des Moines itself is crap.

They could definitely make money at $450 RT if they fill the planes. Not to mention the positive publicity from making this work for so many fans.

Maybe. Keep in mind that, unless the charter is a same day there and back kind of thing, the revenue has to cover the cost of four separate flights: there and back sometime before the game, there and back sometime after the game. They aren't going to leave their plane and crew sitting in Orlando overnight.

Filling the plane is irrelevant if the costs of this extra flight are too high. There are an awful lot of factors to consider (fuel costs, staff costs, misc overhead costs, market potential for selling tickets going the opposite direction, aircraft availability, etc) before the airline can decide if there is actually a viable opportunity here.

Top Bottom