All Things Citrus Bowl/Orlando Travel Tips, Plans, Hotels, Tickets, Actities and More

My fellow season ticket holder can't make it, so I'm going in it alone. So I booked a hotel, flight and car package to Jacksonville for $575 and bought one ticket. I plan to come into Jacksonville on New Years Eve and take the 2 hour drive to Orlando in the morning. Being from Duluth this is like a day trip to the Cities and back. The only thing I want to know is if anyone will be doing their separate tailgating before the game, for I would eventually like some company :rolleyes:

Which Hyatt Regency are the Gophers staying in?

Future in-laws in Florida are going to the game and they asked me about the tailgate. Anything to sign up for in that regard? Point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

There are a couple of good tailgate package options for them through the official U of M Alumni Association program if they want to that route. One is $199 (Game Day package + access to the official tailgate), the other is $69 (tailgate only package).

See link below.

http://www.groupminder.com/internet/resBasePak.cfm?cstId=100&evtId=20&evtName=2015%20Minnesota%20Buffalo%20Wild%20Wings%20Citrus%20Bowl&sessionId=GTTCSTINTER_100_2_17_3612217_74159476&CFID=3612217&CFTOKEN=74159476&browser=Google%20Chrome&redirect=1&js=1&res=1&pdf=7&ck=1

My fellow season ticket holder can't make it, so I'm going in it alone. So I booked a hotel, flight and car package to Jacksonville for $575 and bought one ticket. I plan to come into Jacksonville on New Years Eve and take the 2 hour drive to Orlando in the morning. Being from Duluth this is like a day trip to the Cities and back. The only thing I want to know is if anyone will be doing their separate tailgating before the game, for I would eventually like some company :rolleyes:

There are a bunch of Gopher Tailgaters in Lot 9. They seem to be decent people (always wary about the potential for "40 year guy still living in parents basement" types), but hey, it's a once in a lifetime thing. I may grab some brats or steaks as an offering and see if they'll let me in on the festivities...or message them as we get closer to the day.

Does anyone know what will be going on during the morning before the game (other than the alumni tailgate)? Will there be things to do around the stadium or is my best bet to check on here as the game gets closer and see where Gopher fans are hanging out before the game? I've got a group of 4 in our late 20s.

Ticket update:

The below sections are sold out or have only single seats remaining:
Open Air Club (133-137, P33-P36)
Field Level Midfield (134-135)
Field Level Red Zone (136-137)
Field Level Goal (139)
Field Level Corner (141,143)
Plaza Level Red Zone (P36-P37)

Plaza Level Corner (P41-P43) will likely be the next section to sell out.

59578s.gif

I'm thinking about flying in from Colorado. Anyone want to try to share a room or otherwise figure out how to get tickets in the MN section even though booking from out of state? Advice welcome, I've never done this but I just turned 50 and it's on the bucket list!!!! :)

Rah-rah-rah! Ski-U-Mah!

:)

My guess is Dr. Don would be happy to help you but the room may be in Moorhead instead of Orlando. :D

The seating chart a couple of posts up is not oriented correctly which is the fault of Ticketmaster, not the poster. The field runs north/south. We get the grandstand on the west sideline while Missouri fans take the grandstand on the east sideline. Keep that in mind if getting or not getting direct sunshine is a concern.

The seating chart a couple of posts up is not oriented correctly which is the fault of Ticketmaster, not the poster. The field runs north/south. We get the grandstand on the west sideline while Missouri fans take the grandstand on the east sideline. Keep that in mind if getting or not getting direct sunshine is a concern.

Most seating charts are situated with the field going E-W.

Anyone know if anybody else is going to offer a travel pack or charter flight?

Does anybody know if/when the student package is coming out? I know tons of people interested in taking the bus to the game... But the U hasn't provided a package for us like they did last year.

I'm confident the U will offer a student package.

I'm optimistic there will be other travel packages offered considering any out there are full and there is clearly demand (look at ticket sales & the tweets the airlines are getting as proof). I just hope any new packages are reasonable. I haven't lost hope yet.

The student package was announced last year on the Wednesday following the bowl announcement. Following suit this year, we should expect one announced today. There will be a student package.

All Things Citrus Bowl/Orlando Travel Tips, Plans, Hotels, Tickets, Actities ...

Unbelievable. I calculated my vacation hours incorrectly. I only have 1 day off instead of 2. I could have sworn I double and triple checked that.

Just my luck. O well. I'll be cheering loudly from home. Maybe I shouldn't be drying up all my vacation time.

Just an update, I finally heard back from Sun Country, and that option is out. They said I could charter a flight for $220,000...which would be like $1500 a person. So it kind of looks like most of us fans are screwed without any good options. Was really hoping the U would see the demand and make it more feasible.

Does anybody know if/when the student package is coming out? I know tons of people interested in taking the bus to the game... But the U hasn't provided a package for us like they did last year.

I've spoken with the ticket office and they confirmed that a package is in the works. As Gopher07 mentioned above the package was announced on the Wednesday following the bowl announcement last year, specifically in the evening.

I think the number of students this year will vastly exceed the ~150 or so that signed up last year, and I would like to think the U of M has a pulse on this increase in student interest. And because of the increased interest and amount of planning needed, I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a few more days for the U of M to pull together the final details.

In summary, expect an announcement today, tomorrow, or Friday.

Just an update, I finally heard back from Sun Country, and that option is out. They said I could charter a flight for $220,000...which would be like $1500 a person. So it kind of looks like most of us fans are screwed without any good options. Was really hoping the U would see the demand and make it more feasible.

scrooge-mcduck-swims-in-money-o.gif

Save $100 on hotel at Orbitz! Not sure how long it'll last, but my guess is it'll be gone quick.

1) Visit www.orbitz.com
2) Enter this promo code in the box under all the travel information: VISACHECKOUT
3) On the search list, choose a hotel with the message "PROMO CODE ELIGIBLE" displayed under the price
4) Choose your hotel, confirm that the $100 promo code was subtracted, and then checkout using the Visa Checkout option on the last page

I used it to book the Rosen Plaza hotel on International Drive. 4 stars on TripAdvisor, and my total cost for 2 nights, including tax, was $145. For those of you that use cashback websites, FatWallet.com is also offering double cashback (up to 13.5%) at Orbitz.com today, so this is even sweeter! I also signed up for Orbitz Rewards and got about $5 in rewards for a future stay. If you're interested in that as well, you can use my referral link to register :) http://www.orbitz.com/rewards/?ruuid=D20B9D5C47DBB09390E37D5949D6F18FF2F0B605&WT.tsrc=OTH

So you aren't going to spend $220K to get GHers to the game?

Anyone using the game day shuttle listed on the Bowl website?

That's disappointing. I checked Southwest again this morning, and there are still a variety of options available for ~ $300-$400 per person for flights to Atlanta. Not a bad option for people willing to drive 6 hours from Atlanta to Orlando (which is much better than driving 22 hours from Minneapolis to Orlando).

We've got our hotel booked - the DoubleTree downtown....now the flight thing is brutal. $600 is what you pay for exotic trips. Not Orlando. I can't decide if I should book not, or hope someone gets a charter together.

If I were the U, I'd charter about 10 flights down there, charge $400 a person, and if you lose some $, it's worth it to have the stadium packed. But what do I know???

On what planet is $600 a price to an exotic location? Can we all stop making it seem like we are all getting taking behind the woodshed as a punishment?

Given the time of year that price seems fair.

On what planet is $600 a price to an exotic location? Can we all stop making it seem like we are all getting taking behind the woodshed as a punishment?

They are all for-profit businesses and have every right to charge whatever the market will bear for their services. That being said, let's not pretend that $600 is ever "fair" for an economy flight from Minneapolis to Orlando. Their per-person break-even point is likely in the low triple digits, if not high double digits.

Well considering you can get to Cancun for $500 I can see where people are saying it's excessive price. Just saying

They are all for-profit businesses and have every right to charge whatever the market will bear for their services. That being said, let's not pretend that $600 is ever "fair" for an economy flight from Minneapolis to Orlando. Their per-person break-even point is likely in the low triple digits, if not high double digits.

Maybe so, but they need to make up for those flights that leave tomorrow that are 3/4 full at half the price. Nature of the beast.

BTW, for reference I travel weekly for work out of SFO. Lately headed to Cleveland, Chicago and other Midwest locales. Rarely pay less than $450 and that is with at least two week advanced book. You all are not being screwed.

Cancun is as exotic as a Denny's. Much like Orlando.

Montego Bay for $600 better for you? I'm just saying that Orlando should be cheaper than a longer flight to a more desirable location and that's why people are upset.

Montego Bay for $600 better for you? I'm just saying that Orlando should be cheaper than a longer flight to a more desirable location and that's why people are upset.

Distance plays very little roll in airline pricing unless you break it down by seat mile. A flight to Fargo can be more expensive than one to LA.

Also, Montego Bay is a dump. That's more an FYI so you don't end up there. If you're hell bent on going to 'exotic' beach locations that aren't actually exotic at least go to Cabo.

Top Bottom