All Things 2024 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

I’m harassing my longest tenure NYC friend from Dallas, he’s a good dude, but git him talking about Tejas and he becomes insufferable. He turned it off after the last Pack TD.

I don’t think so, as he has lots of ability and will be enticing to someone like Belicheck Or Vrabel.

Dak is probably better than any Quarterback I can remember at falling behind by two scores or more in the first half and then racking up a shitload of meaningless yardage in the second half; box score looks really good, but not really effective.

I really wanted the Vikings to draft Love that year. I have no clue if they were GOING to draft him (we probably never will know), but as I recall the Packers traded up to one spot ahead of the Vikings to take Love. Cool
Of course if the Packers had drafted another offensive weapon for Rodgers, they might not have lost close games to Tampa (2020 NFC Title) nor San Fran (2021 Divisional Rd), both as #1 seeds at Lambeau.

Dak is probably better than any Quarterback I can remember at falling behind by two scores or more in the first half and then racking up a shitload of meaningless yardage in the second half; box score looks really good, but not really effective.
No argument here, but that doesn’t mean that my point isn’t valid as well - they’re not mutually exclusive.
My point was that with his ability, lead the league in TDs this year, could be attractive to a new coach.

He may need a different coach/to help him go to another level. Look at what Harbaugh has done with his QBs.

The rumor mill has Harbaugh to the Chargers at about 90% done deal. Harbaugh isn't making that flight out there if it's not almost sealed.
Harbaugh should listen to Jerry and start a bidding war, if nothing else.

Jerry’s has a big old 💼 of 💰 and Dallas is younger with more overall talent than SD, who was paying 4 or 5 guys $30M a year.

This is an unexpected opening and look at Jerry to drop the hammer Tuesday on McCarthy when there’s no games on.

Last edited:

What's the hold up with Pierce in LV?

Davis has backed himself into a corner on this one. I don't like it really. Thought it was a really dumb move for Maxx Crosby to say he would demand a trade if Pierce wasn't hired. The fans are so 100% all in on Pierce, it's crazy. Like a full out revolt would happen if he wasn't retained.

I like Pierce and he should get a great look, but he better show up to the interview with a plan and be seriously prepared. And to me, keeping Pierce means getting a SERIOUS heavyweight GM with skins on the wall. The interim GM, Champ Kelly, can't be that guy.

If you step back and look at the situation from 30,000 feet, SURE, they played a lot harder under Pierce and he was much more respected than Josh McD.

But it's hard for me to get excited about the Raiders beating Easton Stick, Jarret Stidham, Tommy DeVito, and Zach Wilson, not to mention losing 3-0 at HOME to f'ng Josh Dobbs and the Vikings.

I need more than that, sorry. I won't be disappointed if they keep Pierce, I really like him too. But if they keep Pierce and the Chargers hire Harbaugh, I fully expect to see Pierce and the Raiders get bitch-slapped by Harbaugh, Andy Reid and Sean Payton in the division for the next several years.

49ers - Montana >>> Steve Young was nearly 2 decades.
Good call. They then followed that up with Jeff Garcia who was terrible his first year, then had 2 really good years before going back to being not good. After Young, over 12 years they won 1 playoff game and made the playoffs 2 times.

Davis has backed himself into a corner on this one. I don't like it really. Thought it was a really dumb move for Maxx Crosby to say he would demand a trade if Pierce wasn't hired. The fans are so 100% all in on Pierce, it's crazy. Like a full out revolt would happen if he wasn't retained.

I like Pierce and he should get a great look, but he better show up to the interview with a plan and be seriously prepared. And to me, keeping Pierce means getting a SERIOUS heavyweight GM with skins on the wall. The interim GM, Champ Kelly, can't be that guy.

If you step back and look at the situation from 30,000 feet, SURE, they played a lot harder under Pierce and he was much more respected than Josh McD.

But it's hard for me to get excited about the Raiders beating Easton Stick, Jarret Stidham, Tommy DeVito, and Zach Wilson, not to mention losing 3-0 at HOME to f'ng Josh Dobbs and the Vikings.

I need more than that, sorry. I won't be disappointed if they keep Pierce, I really like him too. But if they keep Pierce and the Chargers hire Harbaugh, I fully expect to see Pierce and the Raiders get bitch-slapped by Harbaugh, Andy Reid and Sean Payton in the division for the next several years.
Antonio Pierce is such a Raiders move, the universe has predetermined it will happen. He doesn't have much experience, and you're making an emotional decision based on a handful of games. What could go wrong?

Harbaugh should listen to Jerry and start a bidding war, if nothing else.

Jerry’s has a big old 💼 of 💰 and Dallas is younger with more overall talent than SD, who was paying 4 or 5 guys $30M a year.

This is an unexpected opening and look at Jerry to drop the hammer Tuesday on McCarthy when there’s no games on.

According to multiple sources, there are a few teams that still have coaches that are pretty interested in Belichick or Harbaugh

According to multiple sources, there are a few teams that still have coaches that are pretty interested in Belichick or Harbaugh
Dallas 😃 and Philly ( if they an 🥚)?

Would be fun to be their agents and be right in the epicenter of it.

Watching the Pack win and the Lions currently winning has me in a bad mood.

Hockenson 2023 stats:
Capture46.JPG
Hockenson salary average over the next 5 years: $15MM

Sam LaPorta 2023 stats:
Capture45.JPG
LaPorta salary average over the next 3 years: $2.5MM

The Vikes have been making moves like they're in a "win now" window, but the window is nowhere to be seen. It only delays the inevitable.

For the sake of argument, now that there is some evidence - IF Love turns out to be good and plays for 10+ years, the Packers could have an unbroken string of 40 years of good/great/elite QB play, as Favre's good play started in '94. Is there another organization that has even strung two back-to-back great QB's together?
And what makes it more unlikely, there was a different GM to acquire each of them.

Vikings might be looking at a shifting of power in the division. We have had it good for quite a while...

I can't really be mad at Detroit. First home playoff game in 30+ years? Fine, let 'em win 1 or 2. Rams already went the distance recently, so they can go home.

I really wanted the Vikings to draft Love that year. I have no clue if they were GOING to draft him (we probably never will know), but as I recall the Packers traded up to one spot ahead of the Vikings to take Love. Cool
It’s interesting because he waited 3 years before getting his chance. The same happened with Rodgers. Are there some guys that would benefit from waiting their turn?

Dallas 😃 and Philly ( if they an 🥚)?

Would be fun to be their agents and be right in the epicenter of it.
KC not out of the question either, though not sure if they would be interested in either Coach Khacki or Hoodie if Reid retires.

Culpepper definitely had some success with the Vikings but holy shit did he benefit from a couple of guys that caught everything within 15 feet of them in Carter and Moss. Those two made Culpepper a rich man, he should thank them every year
His big year where he finished 2nd in Offensive Player of the Year, CC had already retired and Moss missed like half the season.

He only played 2 seasons with CC.

KC not out of the question either, though not sure if they would be interested in either Coach Khacki or Hoodie if Reid retired.

If that scenario came to fruition, would be fun to know how much influence Mahomes would have in that selection.

It’s interesting because he waited 3 years before getting his chance. The same happened with Rodgers. Are there some guys that would benefit from waiting their turn?

Browning didn't play too damn bad for the Bengals this year, if you can believe that. Vikings could have had their franchise QB right there!! Let him slip through their fingers!

Browning didn't play too damn bad for the Bengals this year, if you can believe that. Vikings could have had their franchise QB right there!! Let him slip through their fingers!
I’m not convinced he’ll ever be a great player but he certainly has talent. With the way rosters are limited, it’s hard to keep a guy like him too long. He got beat out as the backup and believe this was before the emergency QB option. Love was a 1st round pick, Browning went undrafted.

Was looking at the All-pro teams and we had one, second team snapper -

Long Snapper — Andrew DePaola, Minnesota

Detroit (had three, no special teamers), including 2nd team center and MN native Frank Ragnow. Our own AW Jr. was first team safety.

In three (3) seasons of high school ball, he had 229 TDs and 16,775 yards passing. 😯

Culpepper definitely had some success with the Vikings but holy shit did he benefit from a couple of guys that caught everything within 15 feet of them in Carter and Moss. Those two made Culpepper a rich man, he should thank them every year
His best year was 2004. Carter was long gone and Moss missed a bunch of games with injury. Kevin Burleson was the best WR when Moss was out. Makes his rapid collapse all the more puzzling.

Vikings might be looking at a shifting of power in the division. We have had it good for quite a while...

I can't really be mad at Detroit. First home playoff game in 30+ years? Fine, let 'em win 1 or 2. Rams already went the distance recently, so they can go home.
The Vikings are behind, but I am a bit tired of these "the Vikings are in for a long 7-10 years" takes some folks are putting out. The NFL doesn't work like that. It will all look very different in 2 years. And I'm not sold that Jordan Love or Goff are anything more than younger versions of Kirk Cousins.

Jordon Love = Elvis Grbac. Not terrible. Not in the same stratosphere as the other two.
Not enough data. Small sample size, but since Thanksgiving Love has been lights out.

I don't think he has to be at the Favre/Rodgers level for the Packers to be Super Bowl contenders. Short term, they get the Jets 2nd round pick next year and won't have the cap hit they took this year either for #12.

The Chiefs messed up by going with Grbac instead of Gannon in a playoff game.

Same mistake Green made by starting Salisbury over Gannon.

Top Bottom