All Things 2024 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

Sorry, don't know how to embed a tweet...
You click on the Tweet you want, it should bring up a twitter .com link with a specialized address. Copy that address and just past it right into the post on here.

But it won't work if it's an x .com address. I think they've stopped doing that. But if you get one like that, just manually change x .com to twitter .com and it will work.

Last edited:

The Vikes have been making moves like they're in a "win now" window, but the window is nowhere to be seen.
So you're saying that they didn't win 13 games in 2022 with a s__t defense, and they knew that Cousins would be lost for the season in early-mid 2023?

Those idiots!

Vikings might be looking at a shifting of power in the division. We have had it good for quite a while...

I can't really be mad at Detroit. First home playoff game in 30+ years? Fine, let 'em win 1 or 2. Rams already went the distance recently, so they can go home.
Stafford makes some really, really nice throws.

That rookie WR is a nice player. That must have been who our QB Hall was throwing to last season?

Aaron Donald still coming back, when he was like "I don't know, maybe I'll retire" after the SB and the two seasons back so far haven't been nearly as good. Sack numbers way down the last two seasons, I'm sure he gets double-teamed a ton.

Must be tougher and tougher to keep coming back.

Last edited:

They have drafted extremely well, though.
No NFL plan, scheme, identity, blah blah .... nothing will ever work, unless you draft well.

And a good deal of that involves luck.

We have drafted pretty crappy

So you're saying that they didn't win 13 games in 2022 with a s__t defense, and they knew that Cousins would be lost for the season in early-mid 2023?

Those idiots!
The 2022 Vikes regular season record was inflated by insane luck in one score games. The 2023 version regressed to the mean. The 2022 Vikes defense was so epically terrible, they had zero shot at doing anything meaningful in the playoffs. While it made for entertaining games to watch, they were not on the same level as many other playoff teams, and the results bear it out.

They've pinned everything on a veteran QB that melts in big-time games and has 1 playoff win in his career. Even when that QB had a good RB to take the pressure off, still did nothing. Now the running game is sad and non-existent (28th in the league), putting even more pressure on the QB. The OL they've assembled to protect the immobile veteran QB is average at best when completely healthy. The defense, although aided big-time by a good DC, has massive holes due to bad contracts from the former GM and poor drafting by the new one.

With all this evidence, they keep retrying the same thing, hoping the results will be different. The definition of insanity.

Possibly, but not with Fields as the QB. Fields is just plain a bad NFL QB. He can't throw from the pocket and he can't process the game at NFL speed. He's absolutely lost when you force him to stay in the pocket. And he's not overly accurate either. Those are things he's just not going to get over.

10-28 as a starter if I'm not mistaken. At some point, you have to see what the data is telling you. He drops the ball on the carpet at a clip of just about exactly once per game, and a 40-30 TD to INT ratio.

I would have bet on him coming out because of his intangibles, his leadership (loved when he was telling the B1G to f'k off and let them play games during Covid), his competitiveness and work ethic, but at the end of the day, he's not an NFL franchise QB.

Who thinks he warrants being paid $40-$45M per year based on the body of work so far? Because that's what the number is going to be.
This. If you have watched any Bears game of his tenure (I don't care if it was his first career start or his most recent, the problem is the same), you would realize he can't throw. An insane percentage of his completions are check-downs and designed quick throws within 5 yards of the LOS. He is an OK deep ball thrower, and they throw very deep a few times a game, inflating his AY/A numbers. Even with that, his career AY/A is 6.4 yards. As a metric (not necessarily comparing the two, but using a QB we know well), Cousins career AY/A is 7.7 yards, who is a good play action medium ball passer but somewhat poor deep ball passer.

One of the games against the Vikes this year, his average air yards/attempt was 1.3 yards. I watched the game and not entirely sure how that's even physically possible by an NFL QB.

The best thing for the Vikes is for them to sign him to a healthy extension and pass on all the good QB prospects this year. The only chance they have at making noise is assembling a version of the 2000 Ravens defense and making it so the offense has to do very little to win.

Stafford makes some really, really nice throws.

That rookie WR is a nice player. That must have been who our QB Hall was throwing to last season?

Aaron Donald still coming back, when he was like "I don't know, maybe I'll retire" after the SB and the two seasons back so far haven't been nearly as good. Sack numbers way down the last two seasons, I'm sure he gets double-teamed a ton.

Must be tougher and tougher to keep coming back.
Did you watch the game?

He was doubled the whole time and occasionally tripled.

Lions have two All-Pro lineman.

RT - Penei Sewell first team
C - Frank Ragnow second team

NFL scripted that as soon as it was a remote possibility.

Stafford back in Detroit.

Scripted
Whomever the NFLs Aaron Sorkin is, I would feel pretty nervous about scripting a plot in which the Dallas Cowboys were bumped out in Chapter 1 of the Post-season.

Whomever the NFLs Aaron Sorkin is, I would feel pretty nervous about scripting a plot in which the Dallas Cowboys were bumped out in Chapter 1 of the Post-season.
It doesn't matter because the ratings are also rigged. MPLS has the NFL all figured out. :cool:

No NFL plan, scheme, identity, blah blah .... nothing will ever work, unless you draft well.

And a good deal of that involves luck.

We have drafted pretty crappy
Is there anything this Viking organizetion doesn't do well?

This. If you have watched any Bears game of his tenure (I don't care if it was his first career start or his most recent, the problem is the same), you would realize he can't throw. An insane percentage of his completions are check-downs and designed quick throws within 5 yards of the LOS. He is an OK deep ball thrower, and they throw very deep a few times a game, inflating his AY/A numbers. Even with that, his career AY/A is 6.4 yards. As a metric (not necessarily comparing the two, but using a QB we know well), Cousins career AY/A is 7.7 yards, who is a good play action medium ball passer but somewhat poor deep ball passer.

One of the games against the Vikes this year, his average air yards/attempt was 1.3 yards. I watched the game and not entirely sure how that's even physically possible by an NFL QB.

The best thing for the Vikes is for them to sign him to a healthy extension and pass on all the good QB prospects this year. The only chance they have at making noise is assembling a version of the 2000 Ravens defense and making it so the offense has to do very little to win.

Fields has more apologists than any NFL QB we've seen in quite a while. There are reasons for this, no doubt, but it's really just odd. One thing you constantly hear is, "we need to see More, we need to see more before we can REALLY tell...."

Do you need to see more with CJ Stroud?
Do you need to see more with Jordan Love?
Do you need to see more with Brock Purdy?
Do you need to see more with Zach Wilson?
Do you need to see more with Trey Lance?

The young man has started 38 games in the NFL. We know who he is.

And YES, I sincerely hope the Bears sign him long term and run it back another couple years.

Fields has more apologists than any NFL QB we've seen in quite a while. There are reasons for this, no doubt, but it's really just odd. One thing you constantly hear is, "we need to see More, we need to see more before we can REALLY tell...."

Do you need to see more with CJ Stroud?
Do you need to see more with Jordan Love?
Do you need to see more with Brock Purdy?
Do you need to see more with Zach Wilson?
Do you need to see more with Trey Lance?

The young man has started 38 games in the NFL. We know who he is.

And YES, I sincerely hope the Bears sign him long term and run it back another couple years.
Do you need to see more with Zach Wilson? 😔

Are you a sadist?

Meanwhile back at the ranch -

Bills still dealing with waist-high snow hours before kickoff (per The Athletic) -

Volunteers and stadium employees have been working around the clock to prepare Highmark Stadium for Monday’s wild-card game between the Pittsburgh Steelers and Buffalo Bills. But heavy snow accumulation is still presenting some issues with just a few hours remaining before the 4:30 p.m. ET kickoff.

saw a tweet about who has draft capital - looking at the NFC North Division - # of draft picks in the top 100:

Packers: (5) - 25, 41, 57, 88, 92
Lions: (4) - 30, 62, 73, 93
Bears: (3) - 1, 9, 75
Vikings: (2) - 11, 42

Overall - picks in top 100:
6- Arizona
5 - Packers, Washington
4- Lions, Giants, Falcons, 49ers, Eagles
3 - Bears, Patriots, Chargers, Jaguars, Raiders, Bengals, Rams, Bills, Colts, Steelers, Seattle, Houston, Ravens, Tampa Bay, Chiefs, Cowboys
2 - Vikings, Saints, Titans, Jets, Denver, Panthers, Dolphins, Browns

------
and NFC North ranked by age of roster
Packers (#1 overall in NFL for youngest average roster)
Bears #10 overall
Lions #11 overall
Vikings #17 overall

saw a tweet about who has draft capital - looking at the NFC North Division - # of draft picks in the top 100:

Packers: (5) - 25, 41, 57, 88, 92
Lions: (4) - 30, 62, 73, 93
Bears: (3) - 1, 9, 75
Vikings: (2) - 11, 42

Overall - picks in top 100:
6- Arizona
5 - Packers, Washington
4- Lions, Giants, Falcons, 49ers, Eagles
3 - Bears, Patriots, Chargers, Jaguars, Raiders, Bengals, Rams, Bills, Colts, Steelers, Seattle, Houston, Ravens, Tampa Bay, Chiefs, Cowboys
2 - Vikings, Saints, Titans, Jets, Denver, Panthers, Dolphins, Browns

------
and NFC North ranked by age of roster
Packers (#1 overall in NFL for youngest average roster)
Bears #10 overall
Lions #11 overall
Vikings #17 overall
I think they need to trade now and stockpile draft capital, after yesterday’s results. I’m in the trade JJ camp now and don’t resign Cousins.

The above is sobering, to say the very least.

I think they need to trade now and stockpile draft capital, after yesterday’s results. I’m in the trade JJ camp now and don’t resign Cousins.

The above is sobering, to say the very least.
You're changing your future plans based on the Packers winning a play-off game? I agree on moving on from Cousins, but there's no need to trade JJ. Just because it worked with Diggs, doesn't mean it will again.

Well, not to brag, but I did suggest they should draft Jalen Hurts and Antoine Winfield Jr. And Johnny Manzel.
We all win some lose some. Im afraid kwesi is going to be worse than any of us

Meanwhile back at the ranch -

Bills still dealing with waist-high snow hours before kickoff (per The Athletic) -

Volunteers and stadium employees have been working around the clock to prepare Highmark Stadium for Monday’s wild-card game between the Pittsburgh Steelers and Buffalo Bills. But heavy snow accumulation is still presenting some issues with just a few hours remaining before the 4:30 p.m. ET kickoff.

Top Bottom