All Things 2024 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

Adam Schefter just said that Brian Flores and Mike Vrable are top contenders to replace Belichek but he believes Jerod Mayo is the current favorite for the job.

Adam Schefter just said that Brian Flores and Mike Vrable are top contenders to replace Belichek but he believes Jerod Mayo is the current favorite for the job.

You never want to be the guy who replaces "the guy"; you would much rather be the guy that replaces the guy that replaced "the guy".

I believe I heard that when they were looking for Bob Barker's replacement? Truer words never spoken

54 years ago today Dave Osborn made it to paydirt for the Vikings against the Chiefs in Super Bowl IV.

The rest of the day did not go so well for the Purple People Eaters at Tulane Stadium in New Orleans. It was the last game for the American Football League.

Last edited:

If I remember correctly, when they played NO in London, the Saints were the home team. The LED lights were Black & Gold, and the Saints stadium announcer was in London.

I would expect the stadium will be deck out in purple, and the Vikings will provide the stadium announcer

Holy shit. That was about the fastest HC hiring in recent memory.

Jerod Mayo is the new New England Patriots HC. Good for him, it sounds like he's been on a rapidly ascending trip to the top of the list of potential HC's.

Holy shit. That was about the fastest HC hiring in recent memory.

Jerod Mayo is the new New England Patriots HC. Good for him, it sounds like he's been on a rapidly ascending trip to the top of the list of potential HC's.
I loved his coat but he can be particular about placing a drink on a speaker.

Wonder if Flores won't get a "fair" (however you want to define that) look at HC, because of his legal stuff against the Dolphins?

Not seeing much response to the news I posted about Kwesi wanting Kirk back! :ROFLMAO:

The Athletic: Vikings’ offseason decisions will show deftness of GM Kwesi Adofo-Mensah’s leadership

“Right now, in the competitive rebuild, we want to get to a place where there’s no rebuild, to where it’s just being competitive in a window,” Adofo-Mensah said Wednesday. “And I think we’re close to that. It’s going to take a big offseason.”

There’s a lot that is going to make this “big,” but the resolution at quarterback is the obvious fork in the road. When asked if he would like Kirk Cousins to return as the Vikings’ quarterback, Adofo-Mensah responded simply: “Yeah.” He even added that it is “certainly my intention to have him back here.” That is, of course, contingent on a contractual negotiation.

For the second straight season, the Vikings will be seeking to mitigate long-term risk, while Cousins will be wanting to maximize long-term security. Cousins’ age (35), injury history (torn Achilles) and performance (Cousins ranked second in the NFL in passing yards and first in passing touchdowns at the time of his injury in 2023) all factor into the discussion.

Skol Vikes!!

Wonder if Flores won't get a "fair" (however you want to define that) look at HC, because of his legal stuff against the Dolphins?
I think Flores is holding out for a shot at the Steelers job, if and when that becomes available.

I have heard it now on 2 different media outlets.

Not seeing much response to the news I posted about Kwesi wanting Kirk back! :ROFLMAO:

Of course he would "like" to have Cousins back - IF they can work it out financially. I would be surprised if he said anything different.

I'm sure Kwesi would "like" to have Hunter back. I'm sure he'd "like" to sign new cap-friendly deals with Jefferson, Hunter and Darrisaw.

but saying that - and actually making the money work out - are two very different things.

because there are these people called "agents," and they have their own ideas about what they would "like" for their clients.

GM's are really good at talking without really saying anything. it remains to be seen if Kwesi is really good when it comes to making deals and drafting players.

You never want to be the guy who replaces "the guy"; you would much rather be the guy that replaces the guy that replaced "the guy".

I believe I heard that when they were looking for Bob Barker's replacement? Truer words never spoken
Except didn't Drew Carey replace him and is still there 15 + years later?

I don't think this issue applies in New England as it does as Alabama. The Patriots are down and have been for five years. He'll get the same leash as any of the other openings.

I think Flores is holding out for a shot at the Steelers job, if and when that becomes available.

I have heard it now on 2 different media outlets.
Where is Tomlin going?

Where is Tomlin going?
Probably a TV job, for a year.

To be clear, both places I heard it, they were not reporting it, just speculating and connecting dots. Only has a year left on his Steelers contract, they chose not to extend him or it could have been mutual.

Might just be time.

Probably a TV job, for a year.

To be clear, both places I heard it, they were not reporting it, just speculating and connecting dots. Only has a year left on his Steelers contract, they chose not to extend him or it could have been mutual.

Might just be time.
The buzz is that he takes a year off, then returns like Sean Payton.

Not a bad write-up here in The Athletic about some QB tiers in the upcoming NFL draft.

Not surprisingly, Penix is in the 3rd tier, Day Two picks, after Maye-Williams at the top and then another tier, "First Round Worthy", for Jayden Daniels. Says Daniels would be good in later Round 1 but could get pushed up the board some by April

The Athletic: Aside from Williams and Maye, QB Rankings/Tiers

Ouch. Early Day 3 for Bo Nix and JJ McCarthy.

Of course he would "like" to have Cousins back - IF they can work it out financially. I would be surprised if he said anything different.

I'm sure Kwesi would "like" to have Hunter back. I'm sure he'd "like" to sign new cap-friendly deals with Jefferson, Hunter and Darrisaw.

but saying that - and actually making the money work out - are two very different things.

because there are these people called "agents," and they have their own ideas about what they would "like" for their clients.

GM's are really good at talking without really saying anything. it remains to be seen if Kwesi is really good when it comes to making deals and drafting players.

Apparently, as it was last offseason, one of the big sticking points is guaranteed money in 2025; Cousins wants it, the Vikings do not. Hard to blame either side. Maybe Cousins will soften on that now that he has the Achilles to contend with.

Would you do this trade to move up to the 7th pick.

Minnesota Vikings receive picks 7, 183. Tennessee Titans receive picks 11, 42, 2025 fifth-round pick.

Would you do this trade to move up to the 7th pick.

Minnesota Vikings receive picks 7, 183. Tennessee Titans receive picks 11, 42, 2025 fifth-round pick.
If Jayden Daniels was still on the board, the only acceptable answer is "hell yeah". Move up into the 3rd Round to grab Tez Walker from UNC and this offense is set for years:

QB Jayden Daniels
RB Slim Tubby (4.15 in the 20...no wind)
WR Justin Jefferson
WR Jordan Addison
WR Tez Walker
TE T.J. Hockenson

If Jayden Daniels was still on the board, the only acceptable answer is "hell yeah". Move up into the 3rd Round to grab Tez Walker from UNC and this offense is set for years:

Except we have no idea of what KOC and KAM think of Daniels, and how he fits into KOC's offensive scheme and how his talents fit into what KOC wants to do offensively.

I've said it a million times; they had better damn well LOVE that player if they are taking a QB in the first round of this year's draft. This notion of just taking a QB in the 1st for the sake of taking a QB, and taking a QB who MIGHT have a great set of tools, but we don't know if they can play QB in the NFL, just nuts...

I hope they do fall in love with someone and take that player, let Cousins walk and rip that bandaid off. But that player had better have been #1 on the top of their draft board and check EVERY BOX on what KOC is looking for.

Not a bad write-up here in The Athletic about some QB tiers in the upcoming NFL draft.

Not surprisingly, Penix is in the 3rd tier, Day Two picks, after Maye-Williams at the top and then another tier, "First Round Worthy", for Jayden Daniels. Says Daniels would be good in later Round 1 but could get pushed up the board some by April

I hear ya. But it only takes one GM or personnel guy to fall in love with a prospect and wind up taking him a lot earlier in the draft than all the expects predict. and then Mel and the gang get to start screaming the "R" word.

and Kwesi does have a track record for making some "unconventional" draft picks.

If Cousins comes back, then maybe the Vikings are not as concerned about grabbing a QB early.

But, if Cousins is not coming back, then the Vikings need a QB, and FOMO could set in if they start seeing QB's coming off the board early.

I guess I'd rather see them take a Penix or Nix too early as opposed to waiting too long and winding up with this year's equivalent of Kellen Mond. when you go shopping in the QB Bargain Basement, you rarely end up with a bargain.

He basically said the same thing I said about Penix after the title game.

Overdrafting QBs will get you fired.

QB Jayden Daniels
RB Slim Tubby (4.15 in the 20...no wind)
WR Justin Jefferson
WR Jordan Addison
WR Tez Walker
TE T.J. Hockenson
But can slim tubby pick up and block a blitz?

Except we have no idea of what KOC and KAM think of Daniels, and how he fits into KOC's offensive scheme and how his talents fit into what KOC wants to do offensively.

I've said it a million times; they had better damn well LOVE that player if they are taking a QB in the first round of this year's draft. This notion of just taking a QB in the 1st for the sake of taking a QB, and taking a QB who MIGHT have a great set of tools, but we don't know if they can play QB in the NFL, just nuts...

I hope they do fall in love with someone and take that player, let Cousins walk and rip that bandaid off. But that player had better have been #1 on the top of their draft board and check EVERY BOX on what KOC is looking for.
Correct.

People need to realize a QB needs the right system. Some QBs could put up pro bowl stats in the right system and be sitting on the street, out of the league in another system.

The idiot GMs will draft a QB and not have a scheme in place that compliments the QB. They'll just assume everything will work out or that they can fit a square peg into a round hole.

And let's not kid ourselves, there are a lot of bad GMs or bad owners who get in the way of the GMs.

Top Bottom