All Things 2024 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

Limiting to rounds 1-3 is fake and arbitrary. So not at all surprising that's how you go.

Pace wasn't a real player? :rolleyes:

Get better. Get more talent. It can be done in two years. Detroit is proof. You have no leg to stand on.
Of course limiting it to Rounds 1-3 is arbitrary, but it certainly is not "fake". It's quite obvious that the odds of hitting on solid to star talent is much better in those rounds. Using Pace as a one-off example getting a good player beyond those parameters, certainly does not disprove that.

Larger salary cap

I appreciate your post that indicates the Salary Cap will be larger by $25million but that's only 10% of the overall cap, and it could largely be allocated to Jefferson and perhaps Hunter & Darrisaw, before even addressing the Cousins status.

Changing the argument. That's what you said and I proved you wrong.

Salary cap will be larger in 24.

The argument was not changed. You used Goff's previous Salary Cap data and said it was close to Cousins previous Cap. Cousin's past Cap hit has no relevance in the discussion. It's all dependent on whatever his future hit is, should he happen to resign.

Regardless of all that, I am not arguing that it is "impossible" for the Vikings to get better has the Lions did. It's just blatantly obvious, it's a much taller task given their lower draft position and fewer top round picks.

For it to be a comparable comp, the Vikes would have needed to trade Cousins 2 years ago, pick up a comparable QB in talent yet similar in Salary Cap as well as get 2 extra 1st Rounders.

I think Breer does a really good job, love his stuff, but this is hardly breaking news. The Vikings told Cousins last year that they weren't going to fully guarantee a contract through the 2025 season. They have been pretty clear on this for quite a while now, Cousins is not getting a fully guaranteed deal from the Vikings. If he's the QB for 2024, it'll be on a 1-year deal basically.

Lying season is heating up, the shit we'll hear in the next 3+ weeks will be some crazy shit, that's for sure.

The Vikings told Cousins last year that they weren't going to fully guarantee a contract through the 2025 season.
Doubt this is true.

Even if so, that's irrelevant now, when they saw what happened without him.

Regardless of all that, I am not arguing that it is "impossible" for the Vikings to get better has the Lions did. It's just blatantly obvious, it's a much taller task given their lower draft position and fewer top round picks.
"Much taller" is false. Just what you want to be true.

Taller more than zero, sure. Not really relevant with bigger cap.

Each team gets a new crop of players every year. Lions did it, Vikings can do it. Two years, both with Cousins as starter. That's the window to get to the Super Bowl.

Get on, or get out of the way

Of course limiting it to Rounds 1-3 is arbitrary, but it certainly is not "fake". It's quite obvious that the odds of hitting on solid to star talent is much better in those rounds. Using Pace as a one-off example getting a good player beyond those parameters, certainly does not disprove that.

I appreciate your post that indicates the Salary Cap will be larger by $25million but that's only 10% of the overall cap, and it could largely be allocated to Jefferson and perhaps Hunter & Darrisaw, before even addressing the Cousins status.

The argument was not changed. You used Goff's previous Salary Cap data and said it was close to Cousins previous Cap. Cousin's past Cap hit has no relevance in the discussion. It's all dependent on whatever his future hit is, should he happen to resign.

For it to be a comparable comp, the Vikes would have needed to trade Cousins 2 years ago, pick up a comparable QB in talent yet similar in Salary Cap as well as get 2 extra 1st Rounders.
Hunter’s going to want Bosa neighborhood money to resign, per Lewis in The Athletic.

The data shows a precipitous drop off when the vast majority of DEs hit 30; Mack this year at 32, is a complete outlier.

I think you have to let him go at this point.

Last edited:

“I just feel like he’s underrated to me,” Addison said of Cousins. “He always got the numbers, he’s a very accurate quarterback, he does great under pressure. Like, we need Kirk back, we need Kirk back.”

Hunter bud going to want Bosa neighborhood money to resign, per Lewis in The Athletic.

The data shows a precipitous drop off when the vast majority of DEs hit 30; Mack this year at 32, is a complete outlier.

Hunter is a tough one to me. I just have no idea. That is one major premium position, and there's few teams that have pass rush needs more than the Vikings. For Hunter, I would honestly be fine with whatever they decide to do, with a SLIGHT lean towards keeping him.

Hunter is a tough one to me. I just have no idea. That is one major premium position, and there's few teams that have pass rush needs more than the Vikings. For Hunter, I would honestly be fine with whatever they decide to do, with a SLIGHT lean towards keeping him.
It’s definitely going to be the most interesting offseason in a long time.

I can see some team, who needs a rush end to help put them over the top, grossly over paying. His void years will vest at $15M this year, if he isn’t resigned, and they kick the void years further down the road. It’s a mess.

You want that. May you lose

Absolutely, nowhere did I say I want that.

You you are falsely projecting what I want vs what I think may or may not happen.

What I want doesn't mean jack squat. Furthermore, I honestly don't know what I want. Way above my pay grade.

Absolutely, nowhere did I say I want that.

I honestly don't know what I want.
You quack like a duck, every chance you get.

Therefore, I will lump you in with the ducks.

May the ducks lose

There is nothing to be done about other teams over paying. If it happens, it happens.

That will be considered a push.

FWIW -

Justin Fields unfollowed the 🐻 on Instagram yesterday and combine week, next week, is when they traded the #1 pick last year.

The theory is he’ll be traded next week for ~ a 2 & 3, with the most likely destination being Pittsburgh or Atlanta.

That would seemingly take away one of Captain Kirk’s potential landing spots.

Intrigue.

FWIW -

Justin Fields unfollowed the 🐻 on Instagram yesterday and combine week, next week, is when they traded the #1 pick last year.

The theory is he’ll be traded next week for ~ a 2 & 3, with the most likely destination being Pittsburgh or Atlanta.

That would seemingly take away one of Captain Kirk’s potential landing spots.

Intrigue.
That'd take some guts by the other teams GM to trade good assets for Fields

That'd take some guts by the other teams GM to trade good assets for Fields
Agreed...i wouldn't be shocked if a QB starved team like ATL that already has some nice offensive weapons sent a SRP for Fields but a 2 & 3 won't be happening IMO.

Hunter’s going to want Bosa neighborhood money to resign, per Lewis in The Athletic.

I've been banging this drum. Elite DE's have a shelf life only slightly longer than RB's. IMO, 2023 was the high water mark for Hunter and the likelihood of getting good value out of a long-term contract with him is very low. Could he be the outlier? For sure. But the chances of that happening aren't worth the risk.

I've been banging this drum. Elite DE's have a shelf life only slightly longer than RB's. IMO, 2023 was the high water mark for Hunter and the likelihood of getting good value out of a long-term contract with him is very low. Could he be the outlier? For sure. But the chances of that happening aren't worth the risk.
should have traded him at DL. So short sighted.

I'm in the same boat. It feels like he'd retain his value, so why not sign him and trade him if change our mind.

should have traded him at DL. So short sighted.
I disagree, contingent on getting a Draft Compensation pick if he happens to resign elsewhere in the neighborhood of a 3rd Rounder.

I disagree with this take. What evidence do you have of this?

There’s hope as they did the right thing with Cook, who was done, and Kwesi is apparently hardcore about these type of analytics, per the article I read in The Athletic. He plays the %s, which is how you win in the long run.

I personally could see a resign if his injury history was clean. I still remember when Belichick years (or was it a decade?), ahead of his time, traded Richard Seymour, to the Raiders. He was decent there, but was on the downward trajectory of his career.

He knew when to cut the cord.

I disagree with this take. What evidence do you have of this?
From the aforementioned Athletic article regarding said production drop off by age. Research by PFF (link included) -

Hunter will turn 30 in October. A couple of years ago, Pro Football Focus’s Timo Riske studied how productivity declines over time at different positions. He found that edge rushers tend to fall off once they reach 30. Exceptions happen. Los Angeles Chargers pass rusher Khalil Mack tallied the seventh most pressures in the NFL in 2023 at 32 years old, and Baltimore Ravens pass rusher Jadaveon Clowney amassed the 12th most pressures in the NFL in 2023 at 30 years old.

General manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah has cited age curves in the past. He is programmed to consider historical data.

I'm in the same boat. It feels like he'd retain his value, so why not sign him and trade him if change our mind.
If he’s not productive, he has limited to no trade value. There’s no hedge here; you’re either all in or all out.

This is a “futures play.” The play in not resigning him, is that he’s done and you’ve rid yourself of a declining asset.

Last edited:

Agreed...i wouldn't be shocked if a QB starved team like ATL that already has some nice offensive weapons sent a SRP for Fields but a 2 & 3 won't be happening IMO.
The ~ 2 & 3 was bandied about on Get Up by Louis Riddick, former NFL player, scout and director of pro personnel for two teams and current analyst.

Pittsburgh would be an interesting spot for him, based on Arthur Smith’s, new OC, reclamation project with Ryan Tanneyhill, at Tennessee.

Last edited:

The ~ 2 & 3 was bandied about on Get Up by Louis Riddick, former NFL player, scout and director of pro personnel for two teams and current analyst.

Pittsburgh would be an interesting spot for him, based on Arthur Smith’s, new OC, reclamation project with Ryan Tanneyhill.l, at Tennessee.
Riddick is one of the best...huge fan. Seems like way too much for me. PIT is also a likely suitor but put me in the camp that thinks Art Smith is a clown.

Riddick is one of the best...huge fan. Seems like way too much for me. PIT is also a likely suitor but put me in the camp that thinks Art Smith is a clown.
I think Art is another guy, whose a good coordinator, and doesn’t have the HC gene, aka The Charlie Weiss Theorem.

I could listen to Sweet Lou talk about ball all day long.

Last edited:

Having Bijan Robinson on my Dynasty Fantasy roster has left me a bit salty towards Smith. 😂
Maybe Joe Pohlad’s will swing a trade for him as our 4th OF/Pinch Runner.

I’ve never seen a head explode and would pay $20 for the privilege on live stream.

Top Bottom