All Things 2024 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

The fact is having 10 picks in the top 3 rounds in 2022 & 2023 gave the Lions much greater odds of improving what they already had. Vikes don't have that luxury.
We can add plenty of help in the draft to be as much of contenders in 2025.

And FA

Also convenient is Detroit QB (Goff) had already been to a SB and was on a pretty cap friendly deal. Neither of which applies to Cousins.
$31M cap number 22, same as Cousins, and 23 and 24. I have no idea if nearly SB is enough to demand a new deal for Goff or just be content playing out last year.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/jared-goff-18949/
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/kirk-cousins-9915/

We can add plenty of help in the draft to be as much of contenders in 2025.

And FA
So you are suggesting the Vikings get better like the Lions did, even though they will be drafting 9 spots lower with their top pick as well as 1 fewer 1st rounder like Detroit had in 2022. In 2025 (as it stands) the Vikes we will have half as many picks in RDs 1-3 as the Lions did in 2023.

FA additions? How exactly is that going to happen if they bring back Cousins, Jefferson & Hunter? Good luck with that.

$31M cap number 22, same as Cousins, and 23 and 24. I have no idea if nearly SB is enough to demand a new deal for Goff or just be content playing out last year.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/jared-goff-18949/
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/kirk-cousins-9915/
My cap friendly comment was regarding Goff's number in '23 was relatively friendly. I don't project Cousins number in '24 & '25 to be comparable. Perhaps I will be wrong about that, we will see.

This is actually false. Vikings have an opportunity to draft the first defensive player taken, at #11.

Hutch is a nice piece, nothing special.

All of those picks contributed this year? Wishful thinking.

You aren’t being honest
Aidan Hutchinson terrorizing QB's at scary rate

Over the course of the last two years, here are the starters chosen by the Lions in the first three rounds:
Hutchinson, Kerby Joseph, Jahymr Gibbs, Jack Campbell, Sam LaPorta, Brian Branch.
Contributors:
Jameson Williams, Josh Paschall (both hampered by injuries/other issues)
Back-up Quarterback:
Hendon Hooker
Non-Contributor:
Brodric Martin

So 8 of 10 of those players were significant contributors this year and Hooker is potentially their starting QB following Goff (remains to be seen). If the Lions had merely procured Hutchinson, LaPorta, and Branch from the last two years, their praises would be sung, but these last two drafts have set them on a potentially extraordinary course for the next few years. Lots of picks and great drafting.

How about the Lions in 2021?

Cousins at 36 is better than Goff was this year.
You strike me as a fanciful fan, nothing wrong with that, who doesn’t closely follow the league ~ nothing wrong with that.

Detroit had extensive draft capital due to the Stafford trade AND equally important, didn’t miss on the majority of their picks.

Ex - Sam LaPorta was a second round pick, who was second team All-Pro in his rookie season.

Last edited:

So you are suggesting the Vikings get better like the Lions did, even though they will be drafting 9 spots lower with their top pick as well as 1 fewer 1st rounder like Detroit had in 2022. In 2025 (as it stands) the Vikes we will have half as many picks in RDs 1-3 as the Lions did in 2023.

FA additions? How exactly is that going to happen if they bring back Cousins, Jefferson & Hunter? Good luck with that.

My cap friendly comment was regarding Goff's number in '23 was relatively friendly. I don't project Cousins number in '24 & '25 to be comparable. Perhaps I will be wrong about that, we will see.
Well...at least we get to give our 2024 3rd Round Pick to DET to help level the playing field with the Lions. 🙂

Here was my prediction back on 1/9. I'm sticking to it, as he has leverage as the only viable FA QB, which will drive up his price. The only question is will he take the highest $ out there or take less to sign with a better team? Unless somebody offers him stupid money over 2 years, I think he'll get a 3-year deal from somebody.

Spoiler alert, it's Cousins and that's it. He will have market cornered for the teams looking for a free agent QB. My guess as to what he'll get is 3 years/$125MM (not including any potential BS "void" years and/or fake salary cap shenanigans). He's not a runner, and he's been incredibly durable, so the Achilles injury likely isn't a huge deal if he passes medical exams. Look below at the current QB contracts. Ryan freakin' Tannehill was making $29.5MM/year this year, Derek Carr is at $37.5MM/year and Daniel Jones is at $40MM/year. While those are all just bad signings, it 100% goes into determining Cousins' value as it "sets the market". I would say Matt Stafford seems like a good corollary to Cousins' value.

Here was my prediction back on 1/9. I'm sticking to it, as he has leverage as the only viable FA QB, which will drive up his price. The only question is will he take the highest $ out there or take less to sign with a better team? Unless somebody offers him stupid money over 2 years, I think he'll get a 3-year deal from somebody.
at that FMV price, i dont think vikings will be in that market

I'll cut throught the BS of this clickbait article and post the skimpy meat of it here, so people don't have to click on it :)

"
From [Mike] Florio’s appearance on KFAN:

Here's what we don’t know. We don’t know what they have decided to do (at quarterback). Have they set a limit to what they’re going to pay him? Have they decided to move on and they want to make it look like it’s him being greedy and grabbing his bag elsewhere? Have they decided to see what someone else will offer him and then they’ll try to match it?…

Once someone else puts big dollars on the table, Kirk may say, ‘It’s too late. You had your chance. You let me consider what it would be like to go elsewhere. You low-balled me, or you no-balled me.’ Basically, why isn’t the deal already done? Why didn’t they get it done when they knew the surgery on his torn Achilles tendon was a success? The longer you wait the more expensive it gets.

Don’t drag your feet because you’re going to end up paying more later. If you want him, do it now.

"

Sure, Mike, sure. Did howeda write that script for you? :ROFLMAO:

You, like everyone who isn't fake, knows that the real negotiation will be in March, as is normal.

Limiting to rounds 1-3 is fake and arbitrary. So not at all surprising that's how you go.

Pace wasn't a real player? :rolleyes:

Get better. Get more talent. It can be done in two years. Detroit is proof. You have no leg to stand on.

FA additions? How exactly is that going to happen if they bring back Cousins, Jefferson & Hunter?
Larger salary cap

My cap friendly comment was regarding Goff's number in '23 was relatively friendly.
Changing the argument. That's what you said and I proved you wrong.

Salary cap will be larger in 24.

Aidan Hutchinson terrorizing QB's at scary rate

Over the course of the last two years, here are the starters chosen by the Lions in the first three rounds:
Hutchinson, Kerby Joseph, Jahymr Gibbs, Jack Campbell, Sam LaPorta, Brian Branch.
Contributors:
Jameson Williams, Josh Paschall (both hampered by injuries/other issues)
Back-up Quarterback:
Hendon Hooker
Non-Contributor:
Brodric Martin
Again, limiting to rounds 1-3 is arbitary and fake.

We added a great player in Pace who wasn't even drafted. So he doesn't count? GTFO

Every team has a new crop every year. I don't care if they were drafted first overall or came from Mars in a special tryout.

If they're starters or contributors, then they're starters or contributors.

Get better. Get more talent. It can be done in two years. Detroit proves it. Cousins is better than Goff.

Limiting to rounds 1-3 is fake and arbitrary. So not at all surprising that's how you go.

Pace wasn't a real player? :rolleyes:

Get better. Get more talent. It can be done in two years. Detroit is proof. You have no leg to stand on.

Larger salary cap

Changing the argument. That's what you said and I proved you wrong.

Salary cap will be larger in 24.
Just a thought 💭 -

1708185402354.jpeg

FWIW - in the
Sure, Mike, sure. Did howeda write that script for you? :ROFLMAO:

You, like everyone who isn't fake, knows that the real negotiation will be in March, as is normal.

well, the "real" negotiations may be in March - but the point of the above article is that the Vikings should not wait until March - that they should act first instead of waiting for other teams to set the market. Here is another excerpt

Cousins will learn his value in free agency in less than two weeks when his representation talks with executives at the NFL Scouting Combine starting February 26.

While free agency doesn’t begin for several more weeks after the combine, by then, it could already be too late for the Vikings.

and now, my thoughts/opinion: IF the Vikings have decided to move on from Cousins, this could be a stealthy way to do so - wait for other teams to set the market, and then declare that Cousins is asking for too much money. that way, Vikings management can paint Cousins as the unreasonable party.

In the eyes of many fans...

...an owner who uses every ounce of leverage to maximize his financial position is a savvy businessman.

...a player who uses every ounce of leverage to maximize his financial position is a money-grubbing, disloyal mercenary.

well, the "real" negotiations may be in March - but the point of the above article is that the Vikings should not wait until March - that they should act first instead of waiting for other teams to set the market. Here is another excerpt

Cousins will learn his value in free agency in less than two weeks when his representation talks with executives at the NFL Scouting Combine starting February 26.

While free agency doesn’t begin for several more weeks after the combine, by then, it could already be too late for the Vikings.

and now, my thoughts/opinion: IF the Vikings have decided to move on from Cousins, this could be a stealthy way to do so - wait for other teams to set the market, and then declare that Cousins is asking for too much money. that way, Vikings management can paint Cousins as the unreasonable party.
Zero point zero zero zero zero percent chance that Cousins and more specifically his agent won't wait to see what the market offers.

That's just silly to think he would sign before even being able to know what other teams are willing to offer.

They can't talk to him until March, right?

That said, I do think he recognizes -- more now after the injury than ever -- that he is in his last few seasons and wants more than anything to win a Super Bowl and fill that notch in his trophy room.

If he thinks the Vikings give him the best chance to do that, then he will accept a few million less to do that. No questions asked.

Also, I know this is a bit silly, but I think Vegas is out of the question for him and his family, because it's Sin City. It's just not a kind of place that fits with their values. Could easily be wrong on that, but just throwing it out there.

Like the Pack did with Love and let him learn behind Rodgers, great idea!
NO. What the Packers did with Love has nothing to do with the Vikings. Please stop. We are not going the Packers root. Cousins is gone this offseason. End of the story. now move on please.

Zero point zero zero zero zero percent chance that Cousins and more specifically his agent won't wait to see what the market offers.

That's just silly to think he would sign before even being able to know what other teams are willing to offer.

They can't talk to him until March, right?

That said, I do think he recognizes -- more now after the injury than ever -- that he is in his last few seasons and wants more than anything to win a Super Bowl and fill that notch in his trophy room.

If he thinks the Vikings give him the best chance to do that, then he will accept a few million less to do that. No questions asked.

Also, I know this is a bit silly, but I think Vegas is out of the question for him and his family, because it's Sin City. It's just not a kind of place that fits with their values. Could easily be wrong on that, but just throwing it out there.
Cousins is not gonna aceept anything less then a 3 years fully contract. If the Vikings offer Cousins a 1 year deal he not signing it or a 2 years deal. We not going to offer Cousins a 2 years deal. That not happen period. It either 1 year deal or he gone. And to me he not coming back.

Cousins is not gonna aceept anything less then a 3 years fully contract. If the Vikings offer Cousins a 1 year deal he not signing it or a 2 years deal. We not going to offer Cousins a 2 years deal. That not happen period. It either 1 year deal or he gone. And to me he not coming back.
2 years is quite acceptable. Plenty of time for the drafted QB to learn.

3 years, for me personally is even fine, but I can see a decent sized step change in resistance going 2 to 3, if we're talking fully guaranteed.

If 1 year is your max, then you're wrong.

2 years is quite acceptable. Plenty of time for the drafted QB to learn.

3 years, for me personally is even fine, but I can see a decent sized step change in resistance going 2 to 3, if we're talking fully guaranteed.

If 1 year is your max, then you're wrong.
Vikings are not going to do that period. End of the story. Can you please move on. We are not signing Cousins end of the story. Now move on please thank you.

You have no facts to prove any of your statement.

I ain't movin on until the fat lady sings. You know damn well better.

May the best side win!

If I lose I will eat about five Costco sized pallets of crow.

Top Bottom