All Things 2024 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

The Vikings Opening Day Starter in 2024 will be Sam Darnold (I'd refer Drew Lock.)

If the WTF drafts a QB with their early pick, I'd at least see what they want for Sam Howell. Howell has some talent, but spent the last two years playing on a horrible team, and last year playing with a terrible OC in Bienemy who was allergic to running the ball; seemed intent on getting Howell killed most games. I wouldn't give up on Howell personally, might come cheap

Not a bad article in The Athletic today from Alec Lewis (does a REALLY good job of covering the Vikings), regarding steps the Vikings could/should take for present and future success.

Following up on the notion of taking a QB high in the draft, or moving into the top 3, he offered this sobering statistic line.

"In 2020, Pro Football Focus’ Timo Riske found that the odds of landing a stud quarterback — classified as a player in the 90th percentile — with one of the top three picks in the draft are 20.7 percent. Meanwhile, the chances of finding a starter-level QB — a player in the 65th percentile — with one of the top three picks are still just 56.4 percent."

Zoinks!!!

I mean good lord — Bryce Young.

That’s what would happen. If howeda got his false fantasy, that’s what would happen. He’d cut Kirk … so we could hand the offense over day 1 to Bryce Young.

How friggin insane …

Correct decision: draft a QB and let him learn behind Kirk for two years!!

You shouldn’t be allowed to comment further if you can’t at least acknowledge how obviously correct that is. It’s fine if it doesn’t work out that way, but the obviousness of how correct that is … it’s objective.

This one on the other hand, I’m guessing that howeda and I agree: I don’t care in the slightest if he leaves and his deal should be the lowest priority and not prevent signing of more important players (including KJO!)

That’s what would happen. If howeda got his false fantasy, that’s what would happen. He’d cut Kirk … so we could hand the offense over day 1 to Bryce Young.

How friggin insane …

You shouldn’t be allowed to comment further if you can’t at least acknowledge how obviously correct that is. It’s fine if it doesn’t work out that way, but the obviousness of how correct that is … it’s objective.
I saw a mock draft that had us trading up to 30 to take Nix, as Ravens love to trade out of the first round. We’d still get Murphy at 11 and i don’t care if Nix is 26 when he takes over, if you get 5-7 good years out of him.

Last edited:

How friggin insane …

Could just as easily be CJ Stroud. It is not obviously correct to sign Kirk and draft a QB.

I'm indifferent to signing Kirk. If they can come to an agreement at a reasonable price great - sign him for two years. I don't think it is necessary to pay a hefty price to draft a QB in that case.
If not, move on and find a replacement in FA and also draft one in the first two rounds that you really like.

No matter which direction the Vikings go, they have to have everything in place before they sign or don't sign Kirk.

I love the prospect of continuing the same circular argument/discussion for another month........

Stepping back for a moment - when the Vikings brought in Cousins in 2018, the idea was that they had a solid defense and the QB was the final piece in the puzzle needed to make them a legitimate Super Bowl contender. that, obviously didn't work out as planned.

so here's my question - are the Vikings a legitimate Super Bowl contender right now? I think that's a pretty solid No. with all due respect to Flores, the defense needs better players or depth at almost every position. on offense, the O-Line is OK but not great.

and if they are not a legitimate Super Bowl contender, then the brain trust has to take a longer view. adding one or two pieces will not make this team a contender. they have to be planning for two or three years down the road. and by that time, Cousins will be pushing 40. even if he might be part of a short-term plan, he's not part of the long-term plan. and I want to see the brain trust pay more attention to the long-term plan.

Could just as easily be CJ Stroud. It is not obviously correct to sign Kirk and draft a QB.

I'm indifferent to signing Kirk. If they can come to an agreement at a reasonable price great - sign him for two years. I don't think it is necessary to pay a hefty price to draft a QB in that case.
If not, move on and find a replacement in FA and also draft one in the first two rounds that you really like.

No matter which direction the Vikings go, they have to have everything in place before they sign or don't sign Kirk.

I'm in agreement with being indifferent. I will be fine either way. At this point I trust this FO so far that they have some kind of plan either way.

The problem with the bold though, is that they won't have ANYTHING in place before signing Cousins; signing or not signing Cousins is literally the first thing they are tackling this offseason. By all accounts, they are holding off on the Hunter extension until finishing with Cousins.

How friggin insane …

When did I endorse Bryce Young? I didn't. All I want is a team that is clearly in a rebuild to move on from paying top $$ for a 35 year old QB. I'm not a Cousins hater, he's simply is a bad fit on this team now.

When did I endorse Bryce Young? I didn't. All I want is a team that is clearly in a rebuild to move on from paying top $$ for a 35 year old QB. I'm not a Cousins hater, he's simply is a bad fit on this team now.
We’re not remotely close to being a contender.

Making the playoffs and losing in the first or second round with a 35 year old QB, accomplishes nothing.

Last edited:

When did I endorse Bryce Young?
Begging to cut Kirk and go with a rookie is essentially doing so

All I want is a team that is clearly in a rebuild to move on from paying top $$ for a 35 year old QB.
You don't get to decide if they're in a rebuild mode, the Wilfs do.

I'll go with them.

he's simply is a bad fit on this team now.
Purely false. Wasn't last year when they won 13, isn't now.

No more than Goff was a bad fit for the Lions in 2021.

How about the Lions in 2021?

Cousins at 36 is better than Goff was this year.
Because the Lions sucked in 2021, they were able to draft a monster on defense with the #2 overall pick, Aidan Hutchinson in 2022. Vikings draft much lower this year so that will be a tall order to acquire that type of game changing talent.

Plus Detroit had an additional #1 pick in both 2022 & 2023 from the Goff-Stafford deal. Also in 2023 they had 4 more picks in rounds 2 & 3 combined last year.

Using them as a comp for the Vikings to get better in the next 2 years is wishful thinking at a high degree.

Because the Lions sucked in 2021, they were able to draft a monster on defense with the #2 overall pick, Aidan Hutchinson in 2022. Vikings draft much lower this year so that will be a tall order to acquire that type of game changing talent.
This is actually false. Vikings have an opportunity to draft the first defensive player taken, at #11.

Hutch is a nice piece, nothing special.

Plus Detroit had an additional #1 pick in both 2022 & 2023 from the Goff-Stafford deal. Also in 2023 they had 4 more picks in rounds 2 & 3 combined last year.

Using them as a comp for the Vikings to get better in the next 2 years is wishful thinking at a high degree.
All of those picks contributed this year? Wishful thinking.

You aren’t being honest

Last edited:

Hutch is a nice piece, nothing special.
Disagree.

All of those picks contributed this year? Wishful thinking.

You aren’t being honest
Nowhere did I say "all" of those picks contributed. False projection.

The fact is having 10 picks in the top 3 rounds in 2022 & 2023 gave the Lions much greater odds of improving what they already had. Vikes don't have that luxury.

Also convenient is Detroit QB (Goff) had already been to a SB and was on a pretty cap friendly deal. Neither of which applies to Cousins.

Top Bottom