All Things 2024 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

They were both drafted in the same class and both to Washington, if memory serves. Cousins still playing.

Probably no better person outside the Vikings org than RGIII to comment in that fashion. I appreciate his thoughts!

Heard audio of Cousins mic’ed up during the injury.

Walking to the tent knowing season is over, still makes time to give encouragement to J Hall.

Incredible teammate. There should be zero doubt in any true Vikings fan’s minds about bringing him back!

Whatever they get for Fields is gravy, IMO. You took a shot, he was a bust. Move on and go get the top QB prospect and don't look back. Still holding out hope the Bears are dumb enough to keep him...

The question is, who exactly IS the top QB prospect? I really don't know that I'm all that enthralled with Caleb Williams from a maturity and character standpoint. The interviews with the players at the combine will really go a long ways towards identifying who goes #1. If I were the Bears, I would seriously consider moving the #1 pick if the price is right and they like one or two of the other QBs more.

It wouldn't shock me to see someone like Jayden Daniels go #1.

The question is, who exactly IS the top QB prospect? I really don't know that I'm all that enthralled with Caleb Williams from a maturity and character standpoint. The interviews with the players at the combine will really go a long ways towards identifying who goes #1. If I were the Bears, I would seriously consider moving the #1 pick if the price is right and they like one or two of the other QBs more.

It wouldn't shock me to see someone like Jayden Daniels go #1.

Agreed, I think Williams is overrated. Also, for all of the 1st round QBs Lincoln Riley has put into the league have any done anything?

I've seen a few people suggesting that Drake Maye should be the #1 QB in the draft, because they see Maye as having a higher floor than Williams. Williams may have the higher ceiling, but Maye is seen as steadier and possibly the 'safer' long-term pick.

having said that, assuming the Bears take a QB with the 1st pick, then the question becomes - who is willing to trade for Fields and what are they willing to give up?

The Bears’ bust before Fields, was Trubinsky also from UNC?
So they may shy away from that school for QBs.

I've seen a few people suggesting that Drake Maye should be the #1 QB in the draft, because they see Maye as having a higher floor than Williams. Williams may have the higher ceiling, but Maye is seen as steadier and possibly the 'safer' long-term pick.

having said that, assuming the Bears take a QB with the 1st pick, then the question becomes - who is willing to trade for Fields and what are they willing to give up?
I think the Bears could maybe get a 3rd for Fields and it will be a team like Atlanta or possibly Pittsburgh.

I think the Bears could maybe get a 3rd for Fields and it will be a team like Atlanta or possibly Pittsburgh.

Atlanta could do it for attendance purposes. By all accounts, they haven't been drawing fans for shit and I had forgotten that Fields is a home grown product there. Atlanta could do it in terms of drawing fans, but damn, if you're new Head Coach Raheem Morris, you better LOVE that move because that's the kind of move that could end your HC career before it gets very far off the ground.

If you're acquiring Fields, the key question is, who are you going to have on your roster to compete with? Some QB's you bring in, like Cousins, you're bringing him in as the starter. Period. You bring in a reclamation project like Fields, it's with everyone knowing that you have a wide open QB competition.

Atlanta could do it for attendance purposes. By all accounts, they haven't been drawing fans for shit and I had forgotten that Fields is a home grown product there. Atlanta could do it in terms of drawing fans, but damn, if you're new Head Coach Raheem Morris, you better LOVE that move because that's the kind of move that could end your HC career before it gets very far off the ground.

If you're acquiring Fields, the key question is, who are you going to have on your roster to compete with? Some QB's you bring in, like Cousins, you're bringing him in as the starter. Period. You bring in a reclamation project like Fields, it's with everyone knowing that you have a wide open QB competition.
The other reason that Atlanta makes sense is that they are not in a spot to grab one of the top QBs and if Fields stinks, it's only a year and you probably get your QB next year.

But generally I agree with you, it's why I don't think they'll get back as much for him as some of the things I've seen floated around. It's a commitment to him and even if he is successful, you're in a tough spot.

^^ between that and TV personalities talking about trading JJ ……

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

People really are running out of S to make up to give themselves something to talk about to get clicks

^^ between that and TV personalities talking about trading JJ ……

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

People really are running out of S to make up to give themselves something to talk about to get clicks

with all due respect, you just described over 90% of sports media. it's all rumor and speculation. sure, there may be a few shows and outlets that actually break down offensive and defensive strategy and take a more intelligent approach to covering teams. but most of what I hear and read comes down to "what if" scenarios.

the KFAN sports shows - especially PA - are mostly "what if" shows. Mackey and Judd have built their entire brand around "reckless speculation." Why - because they think that approach will bring them listeners and advertising dollars. and then there are the people like Barreiro who bases his show on telling fans why they are wrong and the host is right.

you could take a few posters from GH, put them on KFAN or Skor North, and there really wouldn't be much of a difference. well, maybe not as polished, but the content would be similar.

(except for the SON and Beeg political show. that content would be........different.)

Will this help bring Kirk back?

Mpls posted something from Ben Lieber a few days ago that said it was going to be "around" $250M, up from $225M.

Your posts indicates it will be about $30M increase as opposed to $25M, so about a 13-14% increase.

Sure that may help the Vikings, but it also helps anyone else that wishes to pursue him.

Mpls posted something from Ben Lieber a few days ago that said it was going to be "around" $250M, up from $225M.

Your posts indicates it will be about $30M increase as opposed to $25M, so about a 13-14% increase.

Sure that may help the Vikings, but it also helps anyone else that wishes to pursue him.
I love Kirk. But I'm ready to pass and go young(er)

stating the obvious - the salary cap is going up for every team in the NFL.

which means that the Vikings will have more money to spend - but so will every other team - including the teams that may be part of a bidding war for Kirk Cousins, Danielle Hunter, etc.

Yes, a higher cap will mean the Vikes could up their offer for Kirk. and it also means that when Kirk's agent shows up at the Combine, other GM's are going to be able to up their offers.

oh - and the higher cap could also mean that JJ's agent will want more money. and veteran players may be less willing to renegotiate contracts.

a bigger pie does not necessarily mean more pie for everyone. it could simply mean more pie for the people who get there first.

stating the obvious - the salary cap is going up for every team in the NFL.

which means that the Vikings will have more money to spend - but so will every other team - including the teams that may be part of a bidding war for Kirk Cousins, Danielle Hunter, etc.

Yes, a higher cap will mean the Vikes could up their offer for Kirk. and it also means that when Kirk's agent shows up at the Combine, other GM's are going to be able to up their offers.

oh - and the higher cap could also mean that JJ's agent will want more money. and veteran players may be less willing to renegotiate contracts.

a bigger pie does not necessarily mean more pie for everyone. it could simply mean more pie for the people who get there first.
What I’m wondering has anyone on here or professional football talking heads, listed how many likely teams are in the Kirkscapes?

It can’t be more than a helpful, right?

What I’m wondering has anyone on here or professional football talking heads, listed how many likely teams are in the Kirkscapes?

It can’t be more than a helpful, right?
The ones I have heard mentioned (in addition to the Vikings are)

- Atlanta
- Pittsburgh
- Las Vegas
- Denver

I guess with Cousins' connection to San Francisco that can be completely be dismissed but it would seem like a real long shot.

- Atlanta
- Pittsburgh
- Las Vegas
- Denver

I guess with Cousin's connection to San Francisco that can be completely be dismissed but it would seem like a real long shot.
Thanks.

If the Bears trade Fields, that would likely eliminate one of these teams.

- Atlanta
- Pittsburgh
- Las Vegas
- Denver

I guess with Cousins' connection to San Francisco that can be completely be dismissed but it would seem like a real long shot.

From what I've heard, there is ZERO way that Pittsburgh can afford it. Not a chance. They may take a $3.2M flyer on Fields, just to bring him in to compete with Rudolph and Pickett, but I think Cousins would be impossible.

Atlanta would make a lot of sense, as Zac Robinson is offensively of the same tree as Shanahan, who obviously tried desperately to acquire Cousins on more than one occasion I think.

The Raiders sure freed up a bunch of money when Jimmy G got himself suspended and I guess his money is no longer guaranteed; they were cutting him anyway, and were on the hook for some money.

I have no idea where Denver is financially with the Cap.

Thanks.

If the Bears trade Fields, that would likely eliminate one of these teams.

I think Fields eliminated himself from most of these teams already!

Hard to see Luke Getsy with the Raiders wanting more time with Fields; he knows Fields' shortcomings more than anyone in the league. I can't see Zac Robinson at Atlanta thinking Fields is a fit for his offense. I'd be shocked if Sean Payton would TAKE money to coach Fields, much less give up any assets. The Broncos gave up too many assets already in picking up Russell W.

I think Fields eliminated himself from most of these teams already!

Hard to see Luke Getsy with the Raiders wanting more time with Fields; he knows Fields' shortcomings more than anyone in the league. I can't see Zac Robinson at Atlanta thinking Fields is a fit for his offense. I'd be shocked if Sean Payton would TAKE money to coach Fields, much less give up any assets. The Broncos gave up too many assets already in picking up Russell W.
If they’re going to trade him, wouldn’t it have to be one of those teams?

The two teams I heard mentioned were Pitt and Atlanta FWIW.

Last edited:

From what I've heard, there is ZERO way that Pittsburgh can afford it. Not a chance. They may take a $3.2M flyer on Fields, just to bring him in to compete with Rudolph and Pickett, but I think Cousins would be impossible.

Atlanta would make a lot of sense, as Zac Robinson is offensively of the same tree as Shanahan, who obviously tried desperately to acquire Cousins on more than one occasion I think.

The Raiders sure freed up a bunch of money when Jimmy G got himself suspended and I guess his money is no longer guaranteed; they were cutting him anyway, and were on the hook for some money.

I have no idea where Denver is financially with the Cap.
What did Jimmy G do to get himself suspended? I missed that entirely.

What did Jimmy G do to get himself suspended? I missed that entirely.

PED's, more than likely something he found to take to help him get over his ankle injury.

Apparently, there are LOTS of athletes that go to places like Germany to get drugs to help with injuries.

I could see Denver emerging for Cousins. The new ownership has deeper pockets than just about anyone in the league, can guarantee (or put in escrow) huge money for long term contracts, and Sean Payton I don't imagine has a ton of patience to wait out a young developing QB. Wouldn't surprise me at all really. Those conversations will be had in Indianapolis next week, pretty sure of that.

I'm just not sure what Cousins' interest in Denver will be?

Top Bottom