All Things 2024 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

It's sounding more and more like the Vikings are bracing for life without Kirk Cousins.
I’m okay with that, as long as we’re aggressive and find a competent first round replacement; it’s going to happen sooner or later, so might as well do it now and no waste the JJ/Darisaw window - assumes we’re going to sign them.

Just heard on SC thst KC has the second youngest D to win one ever - I actually will be rooting for them to three peat next year, since it hasn’t ever happened and they’re not going anywhere until Reed retires.

Spags sets a record as winning 4 SB with four different teams as a coordinator; no clue if any coordinator has ever made it to Canton, but if FO guys cam make it, then Spags deserves his mug on a bust as well.

Just heard in SC thst KC has the second youngest D to win one ever - I actually will be rooting for them to three peat next year, since it hasn’t ever happened.

Spags sets a record as winning 4 SB with four different teams as a coordinator; no clue if any coordinator has ever made it to Canton, but if FO guys cam make it, then Spags deserves his mug on a bust as well.
I'm going to predict Mahomes never gets back to a super bowl again.

Mahomes just said on SC they were going for 2 if the 49ers would have scored a TD instead of a FG, not to give them SF the third possession - they get it, in a different level.

It's sounding more and more like the Vikings are bracing for life without Kirk Cousins.
If it's Darnold, Tanneyhill or any other can of beans at QB next season, we need to trade JJ while his value is sky high. I will also pray for a very mild October and November so I can continue to work on my golf game on Sundays.

If it's Darnold, Tanneyhill or any other can of beans at QB next season, we need to trade JJ while his value is sky high. I will also pray for a very mild October and November so I can continue to work on my golf game on Sundays.
We’re in luck, Mitch Tribusky is now available🥳.

He was the QB drafted in front of Mahomes BTW.

Mahomes just said on SC they were going for 2 if the 49ers would have scored a TD instead of a FG, not to give them SF the third possession - they get it, in a different level.
Good to know Andy Reid and I are on same page. See post 948! 😏

I’m okay with that
You're OK with what?

The actual quote literally says nothing:

"With the Vikings' situation, they would like to re-sign Kirk Cousins, who is set to become a free agent in March," Pelissero said. "But my anticipation is Cousins will have a strong market, even at age 35, coming off of a torn Achilles. And Minnesota is examining all options, in the event that Cousins ends up landing elsewhere.

That's it. That's all the clickbait trash "Fan Nation" (once again, not at all SI) article is built upon.

You're OK with what?

The actual quote literally says nothing:

"With the Vikings' situation, they would like to re-sign Kirk Cousins, who is set to become a free agent in March," Pelissero said. "But my anticipation is Cousins will have a strong market, even at age 35, coming off of a torn Achilles. And Minnesota is examining all options, in the event that Cousins ends up landing elsewhere.

That's it. That's all the clickbait trash "Fan Nation" (once again, not at all SI) article is built upon.
Moving on from Cousins, if need be, it’s not the end of the world.

I’m working on my zen and whichever way the Purple flows, us the way it flows 🧘

Last edited:

Moving on from Cousins, if need be
We won’t need that, fortunately.

We will pay Cousins the market rate for two years guaranteed. Done deal. You really think we’re letting Cousins walk because Atlanta comes in and say “ …. 45 million … and one cent, Bob!!!” ??

GTFO

We won’t need that, fortunately.

We will pay Cousins the market rate for two years guaranteed. Done deal. You really think we’re letting Cousins walk because Atlanta comes in and say “ …. 45 million … and one cent, Bob!!!” ??

GTFO
So what’s your new moniker going to be if you’re wrong?

I don’t foresee you issuing a mea culpa and saying, thank you internet, may I have another.

I'm going to predict Mahomes never gets back to a super bowl again.
So what’s your new moniker going to be if you’re wrong? After his sweet block of Kwahi’s dunk last night, I’d opt for McDanielsEva, you’d be incognito 🥸.

I don’t foresee you issuing a mea culpa and saying, thank you internet, may I have another.

We are not paying Cousins the market Rate and no way in hell are the Vikings signing Cousins to a 2 years deal. That not happening. There was a reason Cousins didn't get his extention last year. Minnesota told Cousins no on what he wanted. So it over. Cousins days in Minnesota are over.

I am going to whip your tears into a rich froth, and then fold them gently into a gourmet cake.

:ROFLMAO:

We are not paying Cousins the market Rate and no way in hell are the Vikings signing Cousins to a 2 years deal. That not happening. There was a reason Cousins didn't get his extention last year. Minnesota told Cousins no on what he wanted. So it over. Cousins days in Minnesota are over.

I suspect we'll find out sooner than later. From the sounds of it, this would have to get done essentially by the first couple days of March. The March 13th date is not REALLY their drop-dead date on a deal with Cousins, as it sounds like the Hunter deal will not be finalized until whatever happens with Cousins happens. So they'll need at least a number of days to hammer out a deal with Hunter, all before the 13th.

Gotta love the offseason! This one will see some major shakeup, no doubt about it.

correct me if I'm wrong, but if the Vikes do not reach a deal with Cousins Before the new league year starts, then all of the Dead cap money goes against the 2024 salary cap.

this is from Randball in the Strib -

Kirk Cousins' current contract has four void years tacked onto the end of it. He is set to become a free agent when the new league year begins.

If the Vikings are going to re-sign Cousins — which of course requires both sides to agree on a deal — they will get it done before the new league year begins. Otherwise, the entirety of the salary cap damage from those four void years ($28.5 million) will hit the Vikings' cap in 2024.

as Ogee says, March 13th may be the start of the new League year, but I can't see the brain trust cutting things that close. they have roughly 3 weeks more or less to figure this out.

correct me if I'm wrong, but if the Vikes do not reach a deal with Cousins Before the new league year starts, then all of the Dead cap money goes against the 2024 salary cap.

this is from Randball in the Strib -

Kirk Cousins' current contract has four void years tacked onto the end of it. He is set to become a free agent when the new league year begins.

If the Vikings are going to re-sign Cousins — which of course requires both sides to agree on a deal — they will get it done before the new league year begins. Otherwise, the entirety of the salary cap damage from those four void years ($28.5 million) will hit the Vikings' cap in 2024.

as Ogee says, March 13th may be the start of the new League year, but I can't see the brain trust cutting things that close. they have roughly 3 weeks more or less to figure this out.
All the more reason it makes literally zero sense to not pay him the extra $16.5M on top of which we're guaranteed to take anyway.

If that's what you need to sleep at night, fine. We're really just paying him $16.5M. The rest was already sunk, and is done.

Mark Rosen on KFAN this morning said he thinks Vikings will re-sign Cousins.

2nd in league in yards per game behind Flacco.

So what we've determined is that they may or may not resign Cousins. They may or may not draft a QB and they may or may not move up in the draft to get the QB.
Pretty much. But I don't think Cousins would be making the media rounds so hard if they were close to a deal. The Vikings have made an offer. He hasn't accepted it. I doubt they're going to move much.

The Vikings Opening Day Starter in 2024 will be Sam Darnold (I'd refer Drew Lock.)

Top Bottom