All Things 2024-25 Vikings Regular Season Thread

if Darnold does not play well, the Vikes might not have to try to tank. it could happen organically.

If McCarthy is out for the season, that means they pretty much have to keep Crazy Nick Mullens around as the #2 QB. Jaren Hall will be lucky to stick on the practice squad.

but for the people lining up to jump off bridges - McCarthy may not be able to practice or play in games, but he will be in the meeting room, watching film, working with the coaches and learning the offense. which is not a bad thing. assuming a full recovery, he'll have the off-season to get in reps and could still be the starter in 2025.
There is no public pressure to apply to the Vikings to play McCarthy now. They can be vague like Trump, and say he's hurt whether it's true or not and sit him all season.

if Darnold does not play well, the Vikes might not have to try to tank. it could happen organically.

If McCarthy is out for the season, that means they pretty much have to keep Crazy Nick Mullens around as the #2 QB. Jaren Hall will be lucky to stick on the practice squad.

but for the people lining up to jump off bridges - McCarthy may not be able to practice or play in games, but he will be in the meeting room, watching film, working with the coaches and learning the offense. which is not a bad thing. assuming a full recovery, he'll have the off-season to get in reps and could still be the starter in 2025.
Jaren hall has to be rooting for JJMC to be out for year. I won't judge. Human nature.

But it could mean if Hall is in NFL or not this year

Jaren hall has to be rooting for JJMC to be out for year. I won't judge. Human nature.

But it could mean if Hall is in NFL or not this year

I'm not sure Hall will ever be an NFL player. I don't see the Vikings hanging onto him.

It'll be interesting to see some QB movements over the next few weeks. I think some people will change teams, we've already seen the well-traveled Nathan Petermann signed by the Raiders, which seemed a little surprising. After Minshew and Aidan O'Connell, they have a couple of young QBs that don't look like much.

I don't see the Broncos hanging on to all 3 of Bo Nix, Jarrett Stidham, and Zach Wilson. They gave Wilson a long look last weekend and he looked good; I'm guessing they were giving other teams a chance to look at him, shopping him. I actually like both Wilson and Stidham for low cost pickups for a team that needs QB help. I didn't watch but I heard Wilson actually looked pretty good but Sean Payton, along with preseason backup competition, can do that for a QB.

Cowboys gave Trey Lance a long LONG look last weekend and man, I am really pulling for him (Marshall, MN native and NDSU alum), but he just doesn't look like he has it.

I don't recall exactly the new-ish rules regarding carrying a 3rd QB on the roster so that would impact heavily how many of these guys find new teams before Week 1

I'm not sure Hall will ever be an NFL player. I don't see the Vikings hanging onto him.

It'll be interesting to see some QB movements over the next few weeks. I think some people will change teams, we've already seen the well-traveled Nathan Petermann signed by the Raiders, which seemed a little surprising. After Minshew and Aidan O'Connell, they have a couple of young QBs that don't look like much.

I don't see the Broncos hanging on to all 3 of Bo Nix, Jarrett Stidham, and Zach Wilson. They gave Wilson a long look last weekend and he looked good; I'm guessing they were giving other teams a chance to look at him, shopping him. I actually like both Wilson and Stidham for low cost pickups for a team that needs QB help. I didn't watch but I heard Wilson actually looked pretty good but Sean Payton, along with preseason backup competition, can do that for a QB.

Cowboys gave Trey Lance a long LONG look last weekend and man, I am really pulling for him (Marshall, MN native and NDSU alum), but he just doesn't look like he has it.

I don't recall exactly the new-ish rules regarding carrying a 3rd QB on the roster so that would impact heavily how many of these guys find new teams before Week 1
Muellens is fine as the back-up and Hall will likely clear waivers and be on the practice squad as 3rd QB. I don't see them adding any one unless there's another injury.

There is no public pressure to apply to the Vikings to play McCarthy now. They can be vague like Trump, and say he's hurt whether it's true or not and sit him all season.
If they do the "full" version of the surgery he's out for the season anyway and I feel like there's a 90% chance that's what they will do. No sense taking any risk doing the quick version.

On top of the injury, if Darnold is solid, we'll have to give him a 2-year extension mid-season. We can't afford to go into next year with JJ as QB1. So it completely delays any long-term decision and puts this franchise back, unless Darnold blows up and establishes himself as the future, then we have a very expensive QB2.

Ugh.

Skol Vikes!!

Last edited:

Is Trey the biggest bust? Mandarich level?

On top of the injury, if Darnold is solid, we'll have to give him a 2-year extension mid-season. We can't afford to go into next year with JJ as QB1. So it completely delays any long-term decision and puts this franchise back, unless Darnold blows up and establishes himself as the future, then we have a very expensive QB2.

Ugh.

Skol Vikes!!
I wouldn't think they would have to give Darnold a 2-year extension if he plays well. Just find another guy like him. Also, if he plays well, Darnold would would probably want to find a spot he can start.

I wouldn't think they would have to give Darnold a 2-year extension if he plays well. Just find another guy like him. Also, if he plays well, Darnold would would probably want to find a spot he can start.
I don't want to extend darnold. Whole point of 1st round QB is to be able to spend in other spots

Ugh.

Skol Vikes!!
You are a mean and bad person.

Ugh.

Skol Vikes!!
I don't agree. Barring taking them to a Super Bowl, even if he goes 2017 Case Keenum, they will do the exact same thing they did then and thank him and send him on his way. If he's just OK, they might keep him, but with the understanding he will be JJ's back-up. Otherwise he goes elsewhere for a starting job and they get a veteran #2 who has no expectations to start.

Darnold started 1/12 with a pick against the browns.

I’ll set the O/U at 4 wins this season. I’ll take the under.
While not brimming with optimism, in a 17 game schedule with some of the opponents the Vikings have, I think it would be hard to win less than 5 games.

A loss though in Week 1 at the NYG and I would already start to feel nervous about it.

Top Bottom