All Things 2024-25 Vikings Regular Season Thread

My thoughts from a meaningless game:

Sam Darnold - Stronger arm than I thought and thew outside the hashes very well. Seemed confident in the pocket and came off the initial read quickly. The optimist in me, when I let him out of the cage, tells me playing for the Jets and Panthers gave him no competitive chance to excel and those OL's were also among the bottom 3 in the NFL. A slightly poorer version of Brock Purdy? From a Fantasy perspective, my concerns about his impact on Jefferson's #'s have been greatly abated.

JJM - I still think he was a 2nd Round talent but I really liked how he looked. As Ogee pointed out, held the ball too long but looked poised doing so. He locked in on his primary WR which is expected this early on. The INT was pretty bad and his worst passes were overthrows on dump-offs or flare screens. He had great zip/accuracy on his throws in between the hashes and his deep balls were nearly perfect.

Triston Jackson - We signed Trent Sherfield but I think this kid is going to transition nicely into KJ Osborn's role as WR3. He has good burst, supposedly a better route runner than JJ and clearly has enough deep speed. We're going to need him with Hockenson being out for the first half of the season.

Dallas Turner - Seems more like an OLB than DE to me. He might struggle at the point of attack on running plays but his speed rush on passing downs was really strong. Huge potential if Flores can keep him clean to the ball with his defensive schemes/calls.

CBs - For a variety of reasons, this continues to be our biggest concern. It also impacts how often Flores needs to utilize his blitz packages. I'm huge fan of Flores being aggressive with his play-calling so I'm actually okay with this but we still need some guys to get healthy or step up.

We play in arguably the toughest Division in the NFL, but as a team trying to develop a young QB and preparing for a ton of cap space in 2025 free agency, winning ten (10) games is attainable.

JJM is still young, 21 years old. Even Tom Brady says a major reason for his success was having a year to play behind and learn from a seasoned veteran .

My thoughts from a meaningless game:

Sam Darnold - Stronger arm than I thought and thew outside the hashes very well. Seemed confident in the pocket and came off the initial read quickly. The optimist in me, when I let him out of the cage, tells me playing for the Jets and Panthers gave him no competitive chance to excel and those OL's were also among the bottom 3 in the NFL. A slightly poorer version of Brock Purdy? From a Fantasy perspective, my concerns about his impact on Jefferson's #'s have been greatly abated.

JJM - I still think he was a 2nd Round talent but I really liked how he looked. As Ogee pointed out, held the ball too long but looked poised doing so. He locked in on his primary WR which is expected this early on. The INT was pretty bad and his worst passes were overthrows on dump-offs or flare screens. He had great zip/accuracy on his throws in between the hashes and his deep balls were nearly perfect.

Triston Jackson - We signed Trent Sherfield but I think this kid is going to transition nicely into KJ Osborn's role as WR3. He has good burst, supposedly a better route runner than JJ and clearly has enough deep speed. We're going to need him with Hockenson being out for the first half of the season.

Dallas Turner - Seems more like an OLB than DE to me. He might struggle at the point of attack on running plays but his speed rush on passing downs was really strong. Huge potential if Flores can keep him clean to the ball with his defensive schemes/calls.

CBs - For a variety of reasons, this continues to be our biggest concern. It also impacts how often Flores needs to utilize his blitz packages. I'm huge fan of Flores being aggressive with his play-calling so I'm actually okay with this but we still need some guys to get healthy or step up.

We play in arguably the toughest Division in the NFL, but as a team trying to develop a young QB and preparing for a ton of cap space in 2025 free agency, winning ten (10) games is attainable.
I would agree with your assessment of JJM. His worst throws were the short throws. One on the naked boot where the DE was right there and he had a pretty bad throw off balance. His intermediate and deep throws were good. The touch on those throws were great. It’s super early, but he strikes me as a guy that would be greatly benefitted by sitting the entire year. Cleaning up those short throws and getting used to the speed will come with time. Hopefully Darnold stays healthy and is competent.

Ownership may not agree, but this year is all about setting JJM up for future success and suffering through cap purgatory to get to a better place in ‘25. I’m much less concerned about wins than setting things up for a good ‘25 and beyond.

Are Viking's cornerbacks and dline worst in the league? While our safeties and edge rushers/linebackers are league best?

Last edited:

Are Viking's cornerbacks and dline worst in the league? While our safeties and edge rushers/linebackers are league best?

can't fix every issue in one or two off-seasons. next year when the Vikes have a butt-load of cap room, then I expect to see them go after free agents at several of their weaker positions.

on the CB thing, when you have one guy who was going to play a major role tear his ACL, and a draft pick you really liked die in an auto accident, that is going to mess up your depth. that's just not something you can plan for - so I'll cut the Vikes some slack on that situation.

can't fix every issue in one or two off-seasons. next year when the Vikes have a butt-load of cap room, then I expect to see them go after free agents at several of their weaker positions.

on the CB thing, when you have one guy who was going to play a major role tear his ACL, and a draft pick you really liked die in an auto accident, that is going to mess up your depth. that's just not something you can plan for - so I'll cut the Vikes some slack on that situation.
Building block season, right?

Be competitive and improve and get ready for the window to start opening next year.

Trust and enjoy the improvement and process.

Last edited:

CBS Sports grades:

10. J.J. McCarthy, QB, Vikings

Grade: A-

McCarthy was afforded some open targets via Minnesota's awesome scheme, yet the rookie operated the offense wonderfully outside of a slightly late throw while under pressure that resulted in an interception when a Raiders defense undercut the pass near the sideline. His first touchdown was thrown with outstanding touch and anticipation deep down the field. Well before that, on his first drop back, McCarthy moved through his reads, stepped into the pocket, and fired a dart over the middle.

17. Dallas Turner, EDGE, Vikings​

Turner played 22 snaps, with 15 pass-rush opportunities and generated two pressures against the Raiders. He even got double-teamed in the first quarter. Yeah, Las Vegas was aware of his explosiveness and bend around the corner. I love how Turner used his power on both of his pressures. Underrated element of his game that blossomed in his final season at Alabama.

Skol Vikes!!

CBS Sports grades:

10. J.J. McCarthy, QB, Vikings

McCarthy was afforded some open targets via Minnesota's awesome scheme, yet the rookie operated the offense wonderfully outside of a slightly late throw while under pressure that resulted in an interception when a Raiders defense undercut the pass near the sideline. His first touchdown was thrown with outstanding touch and anticipation deep down the field. Well before that, on his first drop back, McCarthy moved through his reads, stepped into the pocket, and fired a dart over the middle.

17. Dallas Turner, EDGE, Vikings​

Turner played 22 snaps, with 15 pass-rush opportunities and generated two pressures against the Raiders. He even got double-teamed in the first quarter. Yeah, Las Vegas was aware of his explosiveness and bend around the corner. I love how Turner used his power on both of his pressures. Underrated element of his game that blossomed in his final season at Alabama.

Skol Vikes!!
We officially unofficially win the draft.

Super Bowl here we come 😎

Meh... This is barely a blip on the radar. It won't help his development, he'll lose some time on that end, but whatever part of the regular season he misses, he wasn't going to be playing/starting anyway.

In the meantime, already counting my money on my bets on UNDER season total passing yards for JJ McCarthy! Woo Hoo!! Like stealing candy from a baby!

Cashing Tickets.jpg

Meh... This is barely a blip on the radar. It won't help his development, he'll lose some time on that end, but whatever part of the regular season he misses, he wasn't going to be playing/starting anyway.

In the meantime, already counting my money on my bets on UNDER season total passing yards for JJ McCarthy! Woo Hoo!! Like stealing candy from a baby!

View attachment 32839
I think whatever chance there was of him starting later in the season is likely out the door now, which is fine. Maybe if they're out of the playoff chase he'll be ready enough to start weeks 17/18, but that's probably about it.

Whatever interest there was in watching preseason Vikings football is now gone.

Web MD is here to answer our questions...

How long does it take to recover after a meniscus tear surgery?

If you have a partial or total meniscectomy, you may be able to put weight on your knee, walking, within a day or so. You should be able to return to sports you take part in within 4-6 weeks. If your meniscus was repaired, it can take 6-9 months to return to sporting activities.

Meniscus tear and repair surgeries tend to be effective. Depending on the type of surgery and where it is located, success rates are as high as 80% up to 5 years after the operation.

The Minnesota Vikings hosted All-Pro cornerback Stephon Gilmore on Monday. The star free agent visited the Vikings at their facility, but no news on a potential deal has been revealed.

Gilmore is a two-time All-Pro and is coming off a solid and healthy season with the Dallas Cowboys. In 17 games, he collected 60 total tackles, two interceptions, 13 passes defended, and one forced fumble with a PFF grade of 74.4.

The 33-year-old believes he is still at the top of his game, and ESPN's Adam Schefter said he visited with the Vikings for a reason. Schefter appeared on the Pat McAfee show and said he is the type of player that Minnesota desperately needs.

"I don't think Stephon Gilmore is taking a visit to waste his time and the Vikings could use a player like him... The Vikings have been looking for help at the corner position all along."

so a player killed, a starting cb out for the year, Addison going to be suspended, Hockenson not ready, and now this.

Onward and Upward.

McCarthy out. Amount of time to be determined. Ugh.

Due to the fact that we have failed to properly address cornerback or dline over recent yrs, this season wasnt going to be a splash anyway.
However, this injury certainly isn't going to help JJ's progress.
I would like to see a study on which cities are most subjected to significant injuries to star sport players. Minneapolis has to be right up there

View attachment 32839
Ogee "Jeff Gillooly" Ogilthorpe here.

Web MD is here to answer our questions...

The talking heads suggest that if it is a "clean up" time frame is 4-6 weeks before starting intensive rehab. But that route tends to have higher likelihood of issues later on (no one said how much later). A repair is apparently the best long term option but that would end his season.

'25 was the target year with the way this team is currently built and positioned. But '25 with JJM at the helm doesn't look as promising without the kid getting a lot of live reps in '24, even if those reps are only in practice.

so a player killed, a starting cb out for the year, Addison going to be suspended, Hockenson not ready, and now this.

Onward and Upward.
giphy.gif

Let the Tanking Commence 😃😆🤣

if Darnold does not play well, the Vikes might not have to try to tank. it could happen organically.

If McCarthy is out for the season, that means they pretty much have to keep Crazy Nick Mullens around as the #2 QB. Jaren Hall will be lucky to stick on the practice squad.

but for the people lining up to jump off bridges - McCarthy may not be able to practice or play in games, but he will be in the meeting room, watching film, working with the coaches and learning the offense. which is not a bad thing. assuming a full recovery, he'll have the off-season to get in reps and could still be the starter in 2025.

if Darnold does not play well, the Vikes might not have to try to tank. it could happen organically.

If McCarthy is out for the season, that means they pretty much have to keep Crazy Nick Mullens around as the #2 QB. Jaren Hall will be lucky to stick on the practice squad.

but for the people lining up to jump off bridges - McCarthy may not be able to practice or play in games, but he will be in the meeting room, watching film, working with the coaches and learning the offense. which is not a bad thing. assuming a full recovery, he'll have the off-season to get in reps and could still be the starter in 2025.
Just joking 🙃 around

Top Bottom