All Things 2024-25 Vikings Regular Season Thread

Good signing. Need to temper expectations, there's a reason he was available and he's on the backside of his career; but a good depth signing that they needed.
Are you saying the Vikes are spending $7M+ for him to be a backup?

Wouldn’t he be penciled in as a starter?

Good signing. Need to temper expectations, there's a reason he was available and he's on the backside of his career; but a good depth signing that they needed.
If he’s along the same lines as Patrick Peterson when he was here, I’d take it. Not his former self, but knows where to be and can still make plays. Just don’t expect you’re getting All-Pro Gilmore.

CB depth before the season even begins was looking pretty scary.

Here’s some actual Non-Yawn data 😎, ergo subjective, courtesy of an article in The Athletic -

Gilmore, 33, joins Minnesota when coach Kevin O’Connell and defensive coordinator Brian Flores plan to increase their man coverage usage. The team was hunting for an experienced corner to join a secondary featuring Shaq Griffin, Byron Murphy Jr., Akayleb Evans and Mekhi Blackmon, whotore his ACL in late July.

Immediately, they set their sights on Gilmore. Flores coached him in New England, and among the available free agents Gilmore easily performed the best last season. Gilmore will turn 34 years old, but he is savvy enough to have graded by Pro Football Focus as the 21st cornerback among 80 qualified corners last season.

Just read Ed Ingram's pff pass blocking grades last two weeks : 23.3 and 17.1. 😬

Last edited:

Are you saying the Vikes are spending $7M+ for him to be a backup?

Wouldn’t he be penciled in as a starter?

No, by "depth signing" I mean it improves their depth. He's absolutely starting, he just makes the DB room deeper. Apologies for not being clear

I'm betting the farm on the Vikings in Week 1 against the Giants. I just don't see any way how they don't pound the Giants.

If he’s along the same lines as Patrick Peterson when he was here, I’d take it. Not his former self, but knows where to be and can still make plays. Just don’t expect you’re getting All-Pro Gilmore.

CB depth before the season even begins was looking pretty scary.

I like the familiarity with Flores, that played into it for sure I would think. That gives me some reason for optimism.

No, by "depth signing" I mean it improves their depth. He's absolutely starting, he just makes the DB room deeper. Apologies for not being clear
Thanks for clarifying and I hope/think there’s some read still on his tires.

Good to have a Flores Guy in that group, as we start to play more man this year; IIRC, we played the second or least amount of man last year.
I'm betting the farm on the Vikings in Week 1 against the Giants. I just don't see any way how they don't pound the Giants.
Hope so my buddy is an obnoxious Giants fan😎

Are you placing any action if the W season O/U. I’m thinking 8-10 Ws is possible, as long as we don’t have too many key injuries -we could be sneaky good.

Last edited:

Regardless of how much of this is true, this can't help his chances of being a head coach again. Potentially helps the chances he sticks around as DC for awhile longer.

There was plenty enough smoke around that situation for anyone that cared to look. People tried so hard to make Flores' firing about race but at the end of the day, he was a very poor leader/manager and by most accounts an absolute prick in the building to lower level staff and staffers in general.

You can still be a fantastic DC in the NFL, and good grief, what's wrong with making $3-$5M/Year as one of only 32 DC's in the NFL? No disrespect in that.

Are you placing any action if the W season O/U. I’m thinking 8-10 Ws is possible, as long as we don’t have too many key injuries -we could be sneaky good.

Nope. I really think the Vikings will be better than most people think, but I hate the season long O/U bets; just way too many variables and honestly I think they still have a tough schedule. And at this point if anything happens to Darnold they are absolutely f*cked.

But I am bullish on Darnold and the Vikings, and most of that lies with KOC, his handling of QB's, his play-calling (he'll put Darnold in the best position to be successful), and the supporting cast around Darnold.

I actually heard on a podcast this morning that even after Cousins went out last year, the Vikings still had like the 16th best offense in the NFL for the last 8 games? I forget by what metric but to do that with Mullens/Hall/Dobbs is pretty damn impressive. The defense just started to fade down the stretch last year.

When Kwesi says. ‘Oh, I don’t even watch live practice - I’ll be in my office…’. It is radio magic

I just don't see how this opening game is close against the Giants. Barring a multiple turnover game from Darnold, the Vikings should handle the G-man with ease.

I'm actually considering taking the Vikings in my survivor pool to start the season, get the Vikings out of the way early. Bold move, I could be bounced in Week 1, but I feel that strongly. Giants OL is beat up and shuffled, they have holes all over the defense.

Vikings, 1-0!!

I just don't see how this opening game is close against the Giants. Barring a multiple turnover game from Darnold, the Vikings should handle the G-man with ease.
A multiple turnover game from Darnold seems completely plausible.

that's the thing with the modern NFL. at no point in the pre-season did we see any inkling of what the Vikings are really going to look like in the regular season.

on offense - no Jones at RB, no Jefferson, Darnold only played a couple of series, etc.

on defense - mostly played vanilla. didn't see Greenard or Van Ginkel. other defenders played only a few snaps, and it was a revolving door at CB.

so the season opener will literally be the first time we see the "real" Vikings team on the field.

they might be OK, or it might be a mess.

I've got the Vikings going 7-10 this season. If they somehow win 10 games, KOC deserves an extension. Darnold's career TD:TO ratio including lost fumbles is terrifying.

A multiple turnover game from Darnold seems completely plausible.

Hey man, you're talking about the OLD Sam Darnold... we got a whole new version of Sam Darnold rolling in MSP this season.

In all seriousness, I'm putting a lot of faith in KOC to put Darnold in the best position to succeed. Yes, he has a history of not taking care of the football very well but we'll see how it goes this go around.

I never saw this happen when it happened but this is funny as shit. Diggs hasn't exactly done anything in the last several years to change anyone's opinion on this either I would think.

Which player on the team would you least want to date your sister?

From Vikings.Com

The Vikings waived the following players:

S Lewis Cine

RB Kene Nwangwu

CB Nahshon Wright

OLB Andre Carter II

OL Henry Byrd

G Tyrese Robinson

WR Lucky Jackson

WR Jeshaun Jones

WR Thayer Thomas

DL Jaquelin Roy

LB Dallas Gant

OLB Bo Richter

The Vikings terminated the contract of the following players:

TE N'Keal Harry

CB Duke Shelley

RB Myles Gaskin

DB Bobby McCain

DL James Lynch

TE Robert Tonyan

DL Jonah Williams

The Vikings waived the following player with an injury designation:

WR Malik Knowles

The Vikings left the following player on the Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform list:

TE T.J. Hockenson

The Vikings placed the following player on Injured Reserve:

LB Jordan Kunaszyk

The Vikings placed the following players on Injured Reserve-Designated for Return:

OLB Gabriel Murphy

G Dalton Risner

they have to add another RB. no way they start the season with just Aaron Jones, Ty Chandler and CJ Ham. I suspect they're perusing the waiver wire as we speak.

as a Gopher fan, I'd like to see them give Mo Ibrahim a shot, but I think the odds of that happening are fairly small.

Top Bottom