All Things 2024-25 Vikings Regular Season Thread

For whatever it's worth, the Vikings' beat writers claim Darnold has been very impressive, showing a great connection with JJ and Addison.

Supposedly, McCarthy has looked like he fell off the turnip truck. I'm liking Ogee's betting thoughts on our QB situation this season.
Not going to lie, I had to look up what this phrase meant.

For whatever it's worth, the Vikings' beat writers claim Darnold has been very impressive, showing a great connection with JJ and Addison.

Supposedly, McCarthy has looked like he fell off the turnip truck. I'm liking Ogee's betting thoughts on our QB situation this season.

We'll see, it's early. I think Darnold just has to protect the football. He's got all the talent in the world and can make all the throws and he's started a lot of NFL football games. But he does have a tendency to turn the ball over.

If KOC can get rid of even some of those habits, we just might see Darnold turn his career around.

Darnold can make himself a LOT of money this season; massive amounts of cash. If he starts most or all the season and plays well, someone is going to pay him a lot of money in 2025 and beyond.

So McCarthy isn't playing a snap this year, unless injuries occur.

So McCarthy isn't playing a snap this year, unless injuries occur.
As long as we're in playoff contention and Darnold is above average, it's possible. If we drop out of the playoff chase, at that point playing McCarthy is mandatory IMO.

Count me among the many that hope JJM is a Top 10 QB in the league for the next 15 years.

Where are you getting this from? Most reports I've seen say JJ has been very good working with the 2's so far.

Where are you getting this from? Most reports I've seen say JJ has been very good working with the 2's so far.

I've seen reports all over the map on JJM. Yes, I've heard with the 2's and when he holds the ball for 5 seconds, he's delivered some real dimes. I've heard he's better than they expected.

All this can be true, and we still may not see him until at least November, December or next season even. It's pretty clear they have a very, very specific plan for JJM that includes a boatload of benchmarks he has to clear before they think of starting him. And even at that point, he'd have to be considerably better than Darnold.

At the risk of reading too much into things.... listening to the interview with Garrett Bradbury on NFL Network yesterday, he's really impressed with JJM but you could tell from Bradbury's answers that it's a work in progress. A lot of discussion about how difficult and complex KOC's offense is and basically it will take a long time for JJM to really get comfortable with it

The "updates" I read were from last week so take it with a grain of salt. I would imagine there is improvement every day in camp for a young QB.

Sounds like he's playing Saturday so there's a legit reason to watch even if it's not with the starters.

perspective:

in the 2024 QB draft class, McCarthy was ranked 4th, 5th or 6th by most evaluators. The Vikings could not get Williams or Daniels. They decided they did not want to pay the price to move up and get Drake Maye. so McCarthy was at best the #4 QB on the Vikes' board.

he's not some can't-miss guaranteed superstar. there are legitimate questions and doubts about his level of talent and ability to clean up issues with his mechanics, and questions about whether he can adapt to a more complex offense.

and there is reason to believe that McCarthy's offense at Michigan benefitted from knowing what the opposing defense was calling.

that does NOT mean that McCarthy cannot - some day - become a capable NFL QB. but as of today, he's not there yet. how long it takes him to get there is an open question.

If the coaches don't think McCarthy is ready, he's not going to play. If Darnold stinks up the joint, it's going to be Nick Mullens time. and if that means the Vikes finish with a losing record, then they get a better draft pick for next year.

perspective:

in the 2024 QB draft class, McCarthy was ranked 4th, 5th or 6th by most evaluators. The Vikings could not get Williams or Daniels. They decided they did not want to pay the price to move up and get Drake Maye. so McCarthy was at best the #4 QB on the Vikes' board.

he's not some can't-miss guaranteed superstar. there are legitimate questions and doubts about his level of talent and ability to clean up issues with his mechanics, and questions about whether he can adapt to a more complex offense.

and there is reason to believe that McCarthy's offense at Michigan benefitted from knowing what the opposing defense was calling.

that does NOT mean that McCarthy cannot - some day - become a capable NFL QB. but as of today, he's not there yet. how long it takes him to get there is an open question.

If the coaches don't think McCarthy is ready, he's not going to play. If Darnold stinks up the joint, it's going to be Nick Mullens time. and if that means the Vikes finish with a losing record, then they get a better draft pick for next year.
You're probably right, as much as I hate this. We know what Mullens is at this point, and he's pretty awful. I am of the belief that McCarthy is not going to be a successful NFL starting QB, but I'd rather figure out sooner than later that either I'm dead wrong (my hope), or the sooner we can find out that he doesn't have it, the front office can prepare to change course. Obviously you're not cutting bait on JJ anytime soon, nor should you, but I don't want Ponder 2.0 where they take forever to move on.

You're probably right, as much as I hate this. We know what Mullens is at this point, and he's pretty awful. I am of the belief that McCarthy is not going to be a successful NFL starting QB, but I'd rather figure out sooner than later that either I'm dead wrong (my hope), or the sooner we can find out that he doesn't have it, the front office can prepare to change course. Obviously you're not cutting bait on JJ anytime soon, nor should you, but I don't want Ponder 2.0 where they take forever to move on.
I wouldn't tab the Vikings with "taking forever to move on" from Ponder.

2011 - Played 11 games in rookie season after McNabb flopped.
2012 - As the starter went 10-6 and led them to the playoffs, albeit with AP setting rushing records. Did not play in the Wild Card due to injury.
2013 - Already were hedging by bringing in Matt Cassel as a perceived capable back-up. Ponder was bad (0-3 start) and then injured, wound up starting 9 games in which they went 2-6-1.

At that point they moved on from both the Coaching Staff (Frazier canned) and Drafted Bridgewater. Ponder only played 2 more games.

Sure it's right to question the pick in the first place, but once he was here they had moderate success in 2012. I would say they gave it the right amount of time before they cut bait.

I wouldn't tab the Vikings with "taking forever to move on" from Ponder.

2011 - Played 11 games in rookie season after McNabb flopped.
2012 - As the starter went 10-6 and led them to the playoffs, albeit with AP setting rushing records. Did not play in the Wild Card due to injury.
2013 - Already were hedging by bringing in Matt Cassel as a perceived capable back-up. Ponder was bad (0-3 start) and then injured, wound up starting 9 games in which they went 2-6-1.

At that point they moved on from both the Coaching Staff (Frazier canned) and Drafted Bridgewater. Ponder only played 2 more games.

Sure it's right to question the pick in the first place, but once he was here they had moderate success in 2012. I would say they gave it the right amount of time before they cut bait.
Fair enough. It felt like forever, but clearly my emotions remember it differently than the facts say. Thank you for laying that out.

perspective:

If they replace Darnold, it’s not going to be Mullens, it will be JJ. Darnold and JJ are likely going to be the only 2 QBs on the 52 man roster.

If they replace Darnold, it’s not going to be Mullens, it will be JJ. Darnold and JJ are likely going to be the only 2 QBs on the 52 man roster.
They will likely try to get Hall onto the practice squad. Mullens will be cut or trade bait unless there's an injury.

Shortly after it was learned that the Minnesota Vikings listed veteran Sam Darnold as their starting quarterback over J.J. McCarthy on their first unofficial depth chart of the summer, Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer explained that the rookie needed to improve his "fundamentals and footwork in accordance with [the Vikings'] scheme."

ESPN's Kevin Seifert suggested that Vikings head coach Kevin O'Connell is in no hurry to play McCarthy against live defenses in meaningful games.

"The external rush to get McCarthy into the starting role has simply not been felt on the ground in Minnesota," Seifert said. "Players and coaches have straddled an organic line of excitement about McCarthy's future with acknowledgment that Darnold is the more polished passer at the moment."
While the Vikings moved up a spot in the 2024 NFL Draft to grab McCarthy via the 10th overall selection, analysts and reporters have repeatedly named Darnold the favorite to win the starting job since the spring. In June, Alec Lewis of The Athletic noted that there was "a scenario in which [McCarthy] shouldn’t be expected to start at all this year."

The Minnesota Vikings and Dallas Cowboys on Friday reached a deal to swap cornerbacks. Minnesota agreed to send 2022 second-round draft pick Andrew Booth, Jr., to Dallas in exchange for Nahshon Wright, who was selected out of Oregon State in the third round of the 2021 NFL Draft by the Cowboys.

Hey, you take a guy we don't like off our hands, and we'll take a guy you don't like off your hands.

some info - including a family tie to a Viking --

Wright has appeared in 32 games and made three starts for Dallas, totaling 31 tackles on defense and six on special teams. He added five passes defensed, a tackle for loss and an interception, picking off former Vikings QB Joshua Dobbs in a 2022 game against Tennessee.
Listed at 6-foot-4 and 200 pounds, the 25-year-old is joining a position group that has encountered multiple changes and challenges this offseason.
Wright is a cousin of Vikings cornerback Mekhi Blackmon, who suffered a torn ACL on July 24, the first full practice of training camp.

The Minnesota Vikings and Dallas Cowboys on Friday reached a deal to swap cornerbacks. Minnesota agreed to send 2022 second-round draft pick Andrew Booth, Jr., to Dallas in exchange for Nahshon Wright, who was selected out of Oregon State in the third round of the 2021 NFL Draft by the Cowboys.

Hey, you take a guy we don't like off our hands, and we'll take a guy you don't like off your hands.

some info - including a family tie to a Viking --

Wright has appeared in 32 games and made three starts for Dallas, totaling 31 tackles on defense and six on special teams. He added five passes defensed, a tackle for loss and an interception, picking off former Vikings QB Joshua Dobbs in a 2022 game against Tennessee.
Listed at 6-foot-4 and 200 pounds, the 25-year-old is joining a position group that has encountered multiple changes and challenges this offseason.
Wright is a cousin of Vikings cornerback Mekhi Blackmon, who suffered a torn ACL on July 24, the first full practice of training camp.

It would be an extra massive kick in the balls if Mike Zimmer turned Booth into a starting CB, or even a big contributor, down there in Dallas. I expect Zimmer to make the Cowboys defense one of the stronger DEF in the league this season. He's always been a great DC

I would normally never bet NFL preseason but this game has me feeling frisky for some reason.

On the one hand, Vikings are at home, starting Darnold and apparently JJM is going to play a lot. That would have me leaning towards the Vikings (+3)

On the other hand, the Raiders are likely going to play both of their hopeful starting QB's quite a bit, and Antonio Pierce strikes me as a guy who really wants to win; new coach, "building a culture of winning", etc.

To top things off, hard to overlook KOC and the Vikings going 0-3 in each of the last two preseasons. He clearly doesn't give a f*ck.

I took the Raiders, but only on the M/L; I didn't want to give up the 3 points. I just think Pierce will want to win the game too much.

FWIW - I know I shouldn't let this bother me, but.....

was out walking and listening to SKOR North - Doogie on one of his "scoop sessions." It turned into a love-fest for JJ McCarthy. Doogie, Mackey and Judd all raving about how great JJM is - great guy, great personality, etc. etc. at one point, Doogie said "I'm not sure he has any flaws."

at that point, it's a good thing no one was close to me on the walking path, because I was talking back to the podcast in rather colorful terminology.

but Doogie and the boys are convinced that McCarthy is a can't-miss pick and should be starting very soon this season, possibly even on week #1.

look - McCarthy may turn into a good NFL QB, but the way these guys were talking about him, you would have thought he was the best QB prospect of all time. it was just too over the top - bordering on parody.

was out walking and listening to SKOR North - Doogie on one of his "scoop sessions." It turned into a love-fest for JJ McCarthy. Doogie, Mackey and Judd all raving about how great JJM is - great guy, great personality, etc. etc. at one point, Doogie said "I'm not sure he has any flaws."

at that point, it's a good thing no one was close to me on the walking path, because I was talking back to the podcast in rather colorful terminology.

but Doogie and the boys are convinced that McCarthy is a can't-miss pick and should be starting very soon this season, possibly even on week #1.

look - McCarthy may turn into a good NFL QB, but the way these guys were talking about him, you would have thought he was the best QB prospect of all time. it was just too over the top - bordering on parody.
I like Doogie but he only seems to "report" info or a narrative that others want out there.

I would normally never bet NFL preseason but this game has me feeling frisky for some reason.

On the one hand, Vikings are at home, starting Darnold and apparently JJM is going to play a lot. That would have me leaning towards the Vikings (+3)

On the other hand, the Raiders are likely going to play both of their hopeful starting QB's quite a bit, and Antonio Pierce strikes me as a guy who really wants to win; new coach, "building a culture of winning", etc.

To top things off, hard to overlook KOC and the Vikings going 0-3 in each of the last two preseasons. He clearly doesn't give a f*ck.

I took the Raiders, but only on the M/L; I didn't want to give up the 3 points. I just think Pierce will want to win the game too much.

Fuck You, Kevin O'Connell

Safe to say there's no QB "controversy" at this point. I thought Darnold looked really good and JJM, not so much. Didn't look like he was seeing the field very well, held the ball a little bit, etc. He did hit some wide open receivers with some nice passes though. I'm glad they gave him a lot of work.

Darnold looked really solid, liked his movement in the pocket to buy time, find the open guy, instead of just taking off and running. Took care of the ball, hard to find a lot of fault, at least from my amateur review.

Safe to say there's no QB "controversy" at this point. I thought Darnold looked really good and JJM, not so much. Didn't look like he was seeing the field very well, held the ball a little bit, etc. He did hit some wide open receivers with some nice passes though. I'm glad they gave him a lot of work.

Darnold looked really solid, liked his movement in the pocket to buy time, find the open guy, instead of just taking off and running. Took care of the ball, hard to find a lot of fault, at least from my amateur review.
JJ had a impressive debut. He was not great. but had a good game.

Do those guys have any real insight into anything?

Top Bottom