All Things 2024-25 Vikings Regular Season Thread

To be "Comeback" POY of the year, wouldn't that imply that the player would have had to establish some competency beforehand to begin with? Darnold was lousy with the NYJ & Carolina, and merely a backup for SF.

What exactly is he "coming back" from?
Horrible Organization/Bad Coaching with The Jets - that’s enough to qualify, according to Geno Smith, the 2022 receipient. Ironically, semi-Jet legend Chad Pennington is the only two time winner, 2006 (Jets) & 2008 ((Fins).

Per the description on Wikipedia -

The National Football League Comeback Player of the Year Awardrefers to a number of awards that are given to a National Football League(NFL) player who overcomes adversity to return to remarkable performance, in the form of not being in the NFL the previous year, a severe injury, or simply poor performance.[1]

Can you handle success Vikings fans?

Per article in The Athletic, Vikes have a 90% chance to make the playoffs (no they’re mot the Twins 🫰).

Minnesota Vikings

Preseason playoff odds: 17%
Current playoff odds: 90%

Here’s another QB playing at an MVP level that I did not see coming. Funny enough, I actually thought my model was a little bullish on Sam Darnold and the Vikings heading into the year with their projected record at 7-10. Turns out, the model wasn’t bullish enough. The Vikings are the only unbeaten team left in the NFC and now have a great shot (35%) at securing the first-round bye. It should also be noted they’ve got some impressive wins on their résumé with victories over the San Francisco 49ers, Texans and Green Bay Packers.

Horrible Organization/Bad Coaching with The Jets - that’s enough to qualify, according to Geno Smith, the 2022 receipient. Ironically, semi-Jet legend Chad Pennington is the only two time winner, 2006 (Jets) & 2008 ((Fins).

Per the description on Wikipedia -

The National Football League Comeback Player of the Year Awardrefers to a number of awards that are given to a National Football League(NFL) player who overcomes adversity to return to remarkable performance, in the form of not being in the NFL the previous year, a severe injury, or simply poor performance.[1]

There you go: return to remarkable performance.

Darnold's first 6 seasons employed as an NFL QB have fallen well short of "remarkable". There's nothing to return to, anything remarkable will be uncharted waters for the current Vikes QB.

There you go: return to remarkable performance.

Darnold's first 6 seasons employed as an NFL QB have fallen well short of "remarkable". There's nothing to return to, anything remarkable will be uncharted waters for the current Vikes QB.
True, but maybe you’re caught up in the minutiae of it, a tad bit?

True, but maybe you’re caught up in the minutiae of it, a tad bit?
I don't see how it's minutiae if it actually encompasses the definition of the award which you kindly provided.

Could make the same argument on whether Damar Hamlin was returning to "excellence", but I would have been fine if he had gotten the award instead of Flacco. He was at death's door on national TV. Making back to get into 1 snap at in an NFL game seems worthy to me to get something.

I don't see how it's minutiae if it actually encompasses the definition of the award which you kindly provided.
Just trying to have a little fun with this topic 🤷‍♂️
Could make the same argument on whether Damar Hamlin was returning to "excellence", but I would have been fine if he had gotten the award instead of Flacco. He was at death's door on national TV. Making back to get into 1 snap at in an NFL game seems worthy to me to get something.

To be "Comeback" POY of the year, wouldn't that imply that the player would have had to establish some competency beforehand to begin with? Darnold was lousy with the NYJ & Carolina, and merely a backup for SF.

What exactly is he "coming back" from?
Maybe Darnold can get Hockenson come back player of the year. That would be really good.

Fun With The Purple, curtesy of Alec Lewis’ column today in The Athletic -

Minnesota’s early-down dominance warrants mention, too, because the Vikings rank second in the NFL in success rate against rushes and third in yards allowed per rush.

Only 10 times in NFL history has a team created a higher point margin in the first half of games through four weeks than these Vikings. Nine of those teams finished with double-digit wins and made the playoffs. The only one that did not, according to TruMedia, was the 2003 Vikings.

JJ in the locker room at Lambeau -

“Seeing the amount of talent on that field,” he said, “especially when it’s me, JA (Jordan Addison), Speedy (Jalen Nailor) in a package … that’s definitely something no defense wants to see.”

Offensive coordinator Wes Phillips was not alerted to Jefferson’s comment, but on Tuesday, when asked about Nailor’s ascent, Phillips added, “There’s a lot of great groups of three (receivers), so there’s no disrespect anywhere in this league, but I think we have one of the top groups in the NFL.”

Top Bottom