All Things 2023-2024 Minnesota Twins Off-Season Thread

FWIW - the BSN fee paid by my local municipal telecom for this year is roughly $10 a month per subscriber. It is scheduled to go up to close to $11 in 2024. that is higher than the fee for ESPN.

but there is a clause in the contract that the fee can be reduced if BSN loses the rights to one of the teams it carries. the Twins represent 40% of the total value. so according to that, the Twins alone represent $4 a month per subscriber.

I do tend to agree that $25-30 million is likely the best the Twins can do next season. And reach does matter. so my point is that the Twins would only go back to BSN if there is a significant difference in the money, or if they think there is no other valid option.

but - that court hearing on Dec 16th could render the whole thing moot if BSN goes away as an option.

FWIW - the BSN fee paid by my local municipal telecom for this year is roughly $10 a month per subscriber. It is scheduled to go up to close to $11 in 2024.

but there is a clause in the contract that the fee can be reduced if BSN loses the rights to one of the teams it carries. the Twins represent 40% of the total value. so according to that, the Twins alone represent $4 a month per subscriber.

I do tend to agree that $25-30 million is likely the best the Twins can do next season. And reach does matter. so my point is that the Twins would only go back to BSN if there is a significant difference in the money, or if they think there is no other valid option.

but - that court hearing on Dec 16th could render the whole thing moot if BSN goes away as an option.
$10? Geeze that's at least double what I thought. And they still went bankrupt. The last I saw, BSN is still in ~1.2 million homes. If the Twins get $4/month x 6 months that alone would be $29 million.

They would have to take less since they will do their own streaming but getting $15 million from cable/satellite, at least $5 million from the streaming sales and $5 million from a package of local OTA games seems reasonable. Add in advertising revenue and they can get to $30 million.

Gross. That news just ruined my day. Atteberry on the mic is terrible. I’d rather have Dazzle as the play-by-play guy and just deal with not knowing what’s actually going on in the game. I’m pouring one out for Provus. You deserve it, but now I’m bummed.

one interesting thing on the Provus discussion. In an updated story in the Strib, Provus says that one factor in his agreeing to move to TV is that the Twins expect there will be no blackouts next year.

When Provus was weighing whether to accept a role on a new broadcasting medium, he was told the next TV broadcaster will not have local blackouts.

The Twins haven't announced their next TV broadcasting partner after their contract with Diamond Sports Group, Bally Sports North's parent company, expired in October, but streaming will be available in addition to any of their cable, satellite or over-the-air options.

"Come 2024, Twins baseball is going to be more accessible," Provus said. "It's not going to solve every problem. I'm not naive to say it's going to solve every issue, but one big issue has been in this modern era for fans is to see baseball, watch Twins baseball. That, to me, was a huge driving point."

I'm not sure how the Twins can say with any certainty that there will be no blackouts - when they don't know who will be carrying the games next season. that will be interesting to watch.

one interesting thing on the Provus discussion. In an updated story in the Strib, Provus says that one factor in his agreeing to move to TV is that the Twins expect there will be no blackouts next year.

When Provus was weighing whether to accept a role on a new broadcasting medium, he was told the next TV broadcaster will not have local blackouts.

The Twins haven't announced their next TV broadcasting partner after their contract with Diamond Sports Group, Bally Sports North's parent company, expired in October, but streaming will be available in addition to any of their cable, satellite or over-the-air options.

"Come 2024, Twins baseball is going to be more accessible," Provus said. "It's not going to solve every problem. I'm not naive to say it's going to solve every issue, but one big issue has been in this modern era for fans is to see baseball, watch Twins baseball. That, to me, was a huge driving point."

I'm not sure how the Twins can say with any certainty that there will be no blackouts - when they don't know who will be carrying the games next season. that will be interesting to watch.
What does that mean? Were there any games last year that weren't available to watch? I don't miss many games and I can't think of any. Or do they mean all games will be available locally (you won't have to go through a handful of different streaming services to see all games).

What does that mean? Were there any games last year that weren't available to watch? I don't miss many games and I can't think of any. Or do they mean all games will be available locally (you won't have to go through a handful of different streaming services to see all games).

as I understand it, BSN - like other RSN's - has exclusivity within its designated market area.

So, if you're a cord-cutter and watch TV on streaming, and you live within the BSN market area, you cannot watch the Twins on MLB.TV because the game is blacked out. and since BSN does not have streaming rights to the Twins, you can't watch the games on BSN+ or whatever they call their streaming app.

because of the way that market areas are determined, the state of Iowa has 6 teams that are subject to blackout restrictions. so if you're a Twins fan in Iowa, you can't get the Twins on MLB.TV.

another aspect of blackouts is that, if a game is being carried on BSN, that game is blacked out on competing services such as ESPN+ within the BSN market area.

So - what Provus is saying is that this situation is going to be somehow fixed going forward and cord-cutters will be able to stream Twins games.

When they say" no blackouts" they likely mean there will be a streaming option that anyone can subscribe to with no geographic blackouts. But it seems many people people are taking that comment like they're going to be on free over the air TV. They didn't say that and it's almost certainly not the case. He might regret saying it that way.

Twins' Byron Buxton 'fully recovered' from surgery, striving for center field return​

For Byron Buxton, it's one checkpoint reached, and a few more to go.

Buxton spent two days in the Twin Cities recently being evaluated following arthroscopic surgery Oct. 13 on his right knee. Twins trainer Nick Paparesta and strength and conditioning director Ian Kadish were on hand to oversee his workout. Buxton later met with Dr. Chris Camp, director of medical high performance. Everyone was pleased with Buxton's progress.

"Dr. Camp said he is fully recovered from the surgery," Derek Falvey, president of baseball operations, told me on Friday. "There are no lingering effects. He looked good. I thought that was a really good sign."

Where is this all heading? Center field is the answer. That's the goal, anyway. This progress, the rehab, the winter workouts, it's all being done to get Buxton, a hobbled DH-only last summer, back in the outfield next season.

Win Twins!!

Twins' Byron Buxton 'fully recovered' from surgery, striving for center field return​

For Byron Buxton, it's one checkpoint reached, and a few more to go.

Buxton spent two days in the Twin Cities recently being evaluated following arthroscopic surgery Oct. 13 on his right knee. Twins trainer Nick Paparesta and strength and conditioning director Ian Kadish were on hand to oversee his workout. Buxton later met with Dr. Chris Camp, director of medical high performance. Everyone was pleased with Buxton's progress.

"Dr. Camp said he is fully recovered from the surgery," Derek Falvey, president of baseball operations, told me on Friday. "There are no lingering effects. He looked good. I thought that was a really good sign."

Where is this all heading? Center field is the answer. That's the goal, anyway. This progress, the rehab, the winter workouts, it's all being done to get Buxton, a hobbled DH-only last summer, back in the outfield next season.

Win Twins!!
Apparently they're really deluding themselves into planning on Buxton being in CF next year. Sigh. At least move him to a corner spot so it's easier to cover for him when the inevitable happens. Get ready for a lot of Willi Castro/Austin Martin in CF.

Apparently they're really deluding themselves into planning on Buxton being in CF next year. Sigh. At least move him to a corner spot so it's easier to cover for him when the inevitable happens. Get ready for a lot of Willi Castro/Austin Martin in CF.

I'm willing to wait and see on Buxton. I read an article somewhere where a Twins source said Buxton was already able to do some things that he couldn't do at all during the '23 season. it could all be BS, but their public comments seem to be very optimistic.

I know it's a big if, but if they have really found the source of the problem and Buxton is able to play CF even on a half-time basis, that makes the Twins a better team.

among other injury news, saw an item that Miranda is progressing well, while Kirilloff is a little behind him, but both players are expected to be OK by the start of the season. another if, but if they're both OK, that could be the platoon at 1B.

besides - with no new TV deal yet, the Twins are not going to be spending any money, so they need these guys to be healthy.

Brewers' park to get renovations- from the AP:

After months of backroom wrangling, Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers signed a bill Tuesday that spends half-a-billion dollars in taxpayer money over the next three decades to help the Milwaukee Brewers repair their baseball stadium.

The Brewers say the 22-year-old stadium needs extensive renovation. The stadium's glass outfield doors, seats and concourses need replacing, the stadium's luxury suites and video scoreboard need upgrades and the stadium's signature retractable roof, fire suppression systems, parking lots, elevators and escalators need work, according to the team.

The package went through multiple revisions as lawmakers worked to find ways to reduce the public subsidy. The bill Evers finally signed calls for a state contribution of $365.8 million doled out in annual payments through 2050. The city of Milwaukee and Milwaukee County will contribute a combined $135 million.

The legislation also imposes surcharges on tickets to non-baseball events at the stadium such as rock concerts or monster truck rallies. The surcharges are expected to generate $20.7 million.

The Brewers, for their part, will spend $110 million and extend their lease at the stadium through 2050, keeping Major League Baseball in its smallest market for another 27 years.

Christmas came early, you Grinch

There has been very little action with position players thus far, with the “biggest splash” Grandpa Heyword resigning for 1 year @ $9M @tikited (sorry bro - your Dodger 🐶 blew their window) and no multi-year deals yet for that group.

Falvey is patiently waiting, as he has the leverage. In the Strib’s article on this today, it was noted that if Polanco and Kepler were free agents, they reasonably could be considered the best FAs 2nd sacker and OF available.

After months of backroom wrangling, Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers signed a bill Tuesday that spends half-a-billion dollars in taxpayer money over the next three decades to help the Milwaukee Brewers repair their baseball stadium.

The Brewers say the 22-year-old stadium needs extensive renovation. The stadium's glass outfield doors, seats and concourses need replacing, the stadium's luxury suites and video scoreboard need upgrades and the stadium's signature retractable roof, fire suppression systems, parking lots, elevators and escalators need work, according to the team.

The package went through multiple revisions as lawmakers worked to find ways to reduce the public subsidy. The bill Evers finally signed calls for a state contribution of $365.8 million doled out in annual payments through 2050. The city of Milwaukee and Milwaukee County will contribute a combined $135 million.

The legislation also imposes surcharges on tickets to non-baseball events at the stadium such as rock concerts or monster truck rallies. The surcharges are expected to generate $20.7 million.

The Brewers, for their part, will spend $110 million and extend their lease at the stadium through 2050, keeping Major League Baseball in its smallest market for another 27 years.
They should contract the Brewers. Add a team in jackson, MS. 😉

I'm willing to wait and see on Buxton. I read an article somewhere where a Twins source said Buxton was already able to do some things that he couldn't do at all during the '23 season. it could all be BS, but their public comments seem to be very optimistic.

I know it's a big if, but if they have really found the source of the problem and Buxton is able to play CF even on a half-time basis, that makes the Twins a better team.

among other injury news, saw an item that Miranda is progressing well, while Kirilloff is a little behind him, but both players are expected to be OK by the start of the season. another if, but if they're both OK, that could be the platoon at 1B.

besides - with no new TV deal yet, the Twins are not going to be spending any money, so they need these guys to be healthy.
If he can play CF great. But I fail to see the downside of bringing in someone like Kiermeier or bringing back Taylor, especially if they are going to trade Kepler (which I think they should if he's as valuable as alleged.) It's not like Buxton or Kiermeier/Taylor in LF would be a bad problem to have. 100 games of Willi Castro in CF would be a problem though.

I used to think the were nuts for not demanding a roof on the new stadium, but that stadium makes me glad they didn't. Seems like it's nothing but trouble.

Please. Do you think letting Taylor go, not replacing him and depending on Buxton is a wise plan for CF?
They were right on basically all the position players they signed last year, so what’s to say they won’t be right with having Martin/Castro as the option to fill in when needed for Buck. I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt as they’ve earned it with 3 Central titles in 5 seasons.

I remember lots of grousing last year about Taylor being the option last year; I don’t recall if you were in that chorus or not. I try not to grouse about events which haven’t occurred, as they may not occur, as they are in the future and not the present.

I believe Falvey knows more about constructing a major league roster than I do - I don’t think he bats a 1000, nut then no one does, in any profession, including me and everyone else on this board.

If you don’t agreed the above paragraph above is applicable for you, good for you😀

If Buck plays 100 games in center and isn’t calamitous at the plate and/or Martin/Castro fill the at Tayloresque level , then I’m sure you’ll be the first to acknowledge it.

Last edited:

I remember lots of grousing last year about Taylor being the option last year.

I believe Falvey knows more about constructing a major league roster than I do - I don’t think he bats a 1000, nut then no one does, in any profession, including me and everyone else on this board.
From who? Not me. They failed to have an adequate back-up for Buxton for 3 or 4 years before 2023, leading to subjecting us all to Divin' Jake Cave and Cellistino etc.. Last year they finally got one. And it went well. So now they're going to go back to not having one? It makes no sense. Even at a reduced payroll I can find other places to save $8 million bucks. Trade Kepler. Trade Vazquez. Don't sign a reliever. All better options than Buxton or Bust in CF.

From who? Not me.

Never said it was you or implied that either -are you feeling guilty 🤣
They failed to have an adequate back-up for Buxton for 3 or 4 years before 2023, leading to subjecting us all to Divin' Jake Cave and Cellistino etc..
They obviously felt El Captain that one wasn’t required prior, likely based on the medical information they had.
Last year they finally got one. And it went well. So now they're going to go back to not having one?
Assuming again that Martin/Castro won’t fit the bill.
Why is you judgement flawless? Please be specific as ti why you’re a subject matter expert.

Opinions are great, but certitude ….

“Uncertainty is an uncomfortable position. But certainty is a absurd one.”

- Voltaire

It makes no sense.
Just because you, I, or others don’t understand something, doesn’t automatically invalidate said thing. None of us or the alpha and the omega.
Even at a reduced payroll I can find other places to save $8 million bucks. Trade Kepler. Trade Vazquez. Don't sign a reliever. All better options than Buxton or Bust in CF.

Air conditioning?

Assuming again that Martin/Castro won’t fit the bill.
Why is you judgement flawless? Please be specific as ti why you’re a subject matter expert.
I never said by judgement is flawless. Castro is not a CF'er. Martin might be, but he's played only part-time there in the minors and we don't know if he can hit at the major league level. Neither of them are remotely close to sure things.

Just because you, I, or others don’t understand something, doesn’t automatically invalidate said thing. None of us or the alpha and the omega.
This isn't a new issue. It's the same issue they've had for 4-5 years. Buxton being healthy and playing CF should be a bonus not an assumption.

If they bring in a legitimate back-up who can start in CF, then fine. But based on the comments from Rocco yesterday, it doesn't sound like they will.

I never said by judgement is flawless. Castro is not a CF'er. Martin might be, but he's played only part-time there in the minors and we don't know if he can hit at the major league level. Neither of them are remotely close to sure things.

This isn't a new issue. It's the same issue they've had for 4-5 years. Buxton being healthy and playing CF should be a bonus not an assumption.

If they bring in a legitimate back-up who can start in CF, then fine. But based on the comments from Rocco yesterday, it doesn't sound like they will.
Fair enough

I am fully aware that my take borders on pollyanish optimism - “I yam what I yam.”

The hot stove isn’t even warm yet and maybe one will be acquired before the start of the season or at the trade deadline ( in case my scenario doesn’t fly).

Here’s hoping for the best and another central 👑.

I would be very surprised if the Twins bring in a position player who makes more than - say - $5-million. from everything I've read, the front office is focused on trading for a starting pitcher.

and like it or not, they are working under payroll restrictions. they are not going to add high-priced talent, and I expect pitching to account for any significant payroll additions. any position players they bring in will be similar to Donnie Barrels - someone willing to sign for a couple of million in order to have a chance at making a major-league roster.

so I am fine with seeing what Austin Martin, Brooks Lee and other prospects can do. If they flop - they flop.

it all hinges on what type of talent they can acquire IF they trade Polanco, Kepler, Farmer and Vazquez.

I would be very surprised if the Twins bring in a position player who makes more than - say - $5-million. from everything I've read, the front office is focused on trading for a starting pitcher.
Yeah, they have done so and received significant contributions from three of those trades in the last four years-

Maedea 2020
Gray 2022
Pablo 2023

Last season 8 pitchers made at least 5 starts (per The Athletic), so depth is requited. The article mentioned that Varland will stretch out in spring training and if they swing a trade for a veteran, they may pull an Ober with Varland and let him start the season in St. Paul.

Mahle was a flop and Paddock is TBD (i think if he stays healthy, he’ll be a good contributor) and I’m guessing he’ll be on an innings restriction, so they’ll place him in the fifth slot, so he can be occasionally skipped.

and like it or not, they are working under payroll restrictions. they are not going to add high-priced talent, and I expect pitching to account for any significant payroll additions. any position players they bring in will be similar to Donnie Barrels - someone willing to sign for a couple of million in order to have a chance at making a major-league roster.
Yes, they are and again it’s a trust the process deal.

There was copious amounts of angst last year for the Lopez-Arraez trade, including by one of my favorite posters, and it worked out well for both teams.

I trust the acumen of the professionals vs. my intellect on the matters.

so I am fine with seeing what Austin Martin, Brooks Lee and other prospects can do. If they flop - they flop.
👍
it all hinges on what type of talent they can acquire IF they trade Polanco, Kepler, Farmer and Vazquez.
The aforementioned Athletic article stipulated thst the market is frozen until Ohtani’s situation is resolved, as thst will factor into how the market shakes out for everyone else.

Maybe, trust the process (it worked well last year😀)?

It’s hump day, so here’s some Bobby for you -

Air conditioning?
I was shocked to find out they didn't have air conditioning two summers ago when the Twins were there. It was a hot day but there were rain showers in the area so they had the roof closed for the first few innings. It was a sauna in there.

I used to think the were nuts for not demanding a roof on the new stadium, but that stadium makes me glad they didn't. Seems like it's nothing but trouble.
Most of the list is normal upkeep, as this money is being doled out over 27 years. So if windows, elevators, escalators, parking lots, etc. don't need replacing now after 22 years, they most certainly will be in the next 27 years. The roof was a massive disaster when it first opened, and after a number of years got fixed and has generally been OK since. You are spot-on; I really dislike going there. It feels like you're going into an unconditioned big box store with a sunroof. It's nice to know your game isn't going to be cancelled/rain delayed, but that's about the only advantage.

On a different note, all of us "normal" people are suckers. The owners have created a money printing machine and the rest of us are all willingly feeding it. The Brewers will owe $110 million for these renovations/upkeep, which works out to $4MM/year over the 27 years.

If Buck plays 100 games in center and isn’t calamitous at the plate and/or Martin/Castro fill the at Tayloresque level , then I’m sure you’ll be the first to acknowledge it.
The guy has played 100 games ONCE in his 9 year career, and you're going to roll the dice that after his least productive fielding year, he's magically going to come back and play 100 games in CF? Whatever you're currently on must be really good and really illegal.

Top Bottom