All Things 2023-2024 Minnesota Twins Off-Season Thread

There has been very little action with position players thus far, with the “biggest splash” Grandpa Heyword resigning for 1 year @ $9M @tikited (sorry bro - your Dodger 🐶 blew their window) and no multi-year deals yet for that group.

Falvey is patiently waiting, as he has the leverage. In the Strib’s article on this today, it was noted that if Polanco and Kepler were free agents, they reasonably could be considered the best FAs 2nd sacker and OF available.
Bad off season so far for LA. Now a rumor of trading for Kepler is out there. Ugh.

Bad off season so far for LA. Now a rumor of trading for Kepler is out there. Ugh.
Any scuttlebutt about Ohtani? He purportedly had a good visit with the Jays - as a Yankee despiser, that would be the best X-Mas present I could receive.

How in the world does Davy Roberts still have that job?

Least kept secret in baseball. Makes it understandable, even admirable, that Ohtani didn't want the word to get out on who had contacted him.

Your "Dodger Blue" is my "Dodger Boo". 😁
tenor.gif

At an average of $70M/year it's as though Ohtani is being paid what Gerrit Cole and Bryce Harper earn, COMBINED.

When healthy, totally worth it. Not mention all the bucks he can generate via the Japanese market.

I wonder, what financial impact there was with the NL adopting the DH a few seasons ago? Also modified, games in which he pitches he can stay in the lineup as DH once he leaves the mound.

Last edited:

At an average of $70M/year it's as though Ohtani is being paid what Gerrit Cole and Bryce Harper earn, COMBINED.

When healthy, totally worth it. Not mention all the bucks he can generate via the Japanese market.

I wonder, what financial impact there was with the NL adopting the DH a few seasons ago? Also modified, games in which he pitches he can stay in the game as DH once he leaves the mound.
I question how much he’ll be able to pitch going forward but I think there’s little risk. As you said he’ll generate a lot of money from the Japanese market.

I've seen some writers tweeting that the contract is structured to have a lot of deferred money. this was supposedly done to help the Dodgers with the luxury tax situation - and also to allow the Dodgers to have money available to sign other players and put a better team around Ohtani.

as of yet, I have not seen anyone with details on how much deferred money. But it's possible that Bobby Bonilla Day may be retired in favor of Shohei Ohtani Day.

he's a heck of a player. but there are questions - how well does he come off the surgery? what is the long-range outlook for his pitching? How much of his value is contingent on his being a two-way player?

----Oh, BTW - Dodgers are at the Twins April 8-10. odds on that series being a sellout - even with the potential early-season weather?

It’s a scam to have a competitive balance tax and then not have deferred money count towards that cap. The guy is good, but I am sorry he’s not worth $700million per any sort of analysis. The gap between the top spenders and the bottom spenders is just gonna get worse.

It’s a scam to have a competitive balance tax and then not have deferred money count towards that cap. The guy is good, but I am sorry he’s not worth $700million per any sort of analysis. The gap between the top spenders and the bottom spenders is just gonna get worse.
You are correct thst it should.

As has been demonstrated time and again, money generally can’t buy love or a WS.

Rangers @ 9th beat the DBacks @21st.
He’s only one player and that club still has lots of holes and shaky starting rotation.

You are correct thst it should.

As has been demonstrated time and again, money generally can’t buy love or a WS.

Rangers @ 9th beat the DBacks @21st.
He’s only one player and that club still has lots of holes and shaky starting rotation.
It can buy you s$x though if not love. It just makes it tougher for the casual fan to like baseball cause this type of thing can not happen in other sports. In every other major sport a free agent could sign with any team possibly as they have a cap. The top free agents are basically choosing between like 4-5 teams. Heck even the Padres are unloading salary. I expect Texas to potentially do the same thing in two years.

If he contributes to a couple of World Series Championships and has the Dodgers in contention the other years, then Ohtani will be worth every penny, IMO.

Top Bottom