All Things 2023-2024 Minnesota Twins Off-Season Thread

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Well this thread started two weeks later than last year which is a good thing. We won't have the Carlos Correa drama this offseason, but we will have decide if we can afford to keep Gray and how big of offers he receives.

Win Twins!!

There is no reason whatsoever that Gray would not be affordable. Whether he's interested in staying on this team is another matter altogether. At the very least, they can give him a qualifying offer and get a pick when he signs elsewhere.
Issue 2 is figuring out what the hell you do with Byron Buxton.

There is no reason whatsoever that Gray would not be affordable. Whether he's interested in staying on this team is another matter altogether. At the very least, they can give him a qualifying offer and get a pick when he signs elsewhere.

You can't really do anything with Buxton other than have him be your opening day CF, and have a good backup option like Taylor for 2/3 of the season. Just DH'ing him doesn't work. They are stuck with his contract for the next 5 years.

The problem probably is going to be he will want a 3 year contract. He's not worth 3 years at this point in his career.

We've got 4 of 5 starters figured out.

1. Lopez
2. Ryan
3. Paddock
4. Ober

They could see if Varland can fill that spot but I think they may try keeping him in the bullpen. Might see another offseason trade to get a starter. Probably not to the level of Lopez but hopefully not just a #5 guy either. A guy like Junior Severino is a likely candidate to be traded. He could be a sleeper good player but he plays positions already crowded.

Do they bring back Pagan? Not against it at all, just hope they don't plan on him being one of the top 2-3 relievers. Would be nice to add another veteran arm in the bullpen.

Would like to see them try to land Hoskins. Might be wishful thinking, not sure how much he would cost after being hurt all year. They need someone at 1B.

I'm more concerned about the hitting philosophy of the organization than any player additions or subtractions. There has to be more focus on putting the ball in play and changing the approach depending on the count

Chip agrees and chimes in:

High on the front office's offseason agenda should be to construct a roster capable of producing more consistent offense, especially when stakes and pressure get cranked up against high-level pitching in the playoffs.

The past few weeks provided thrilling moments, but the Twins ultimately failed to produce enough offense to advance any further.

The next step for the front office should be obvious.

Win Twins!!

"It also will be remembered for an offense that struck out a record number of times — 1,654 — and once again failed to deliver in the playoffs.

This team's final postseason numbers are a harsh reminder of a glaring issue: 73 strikeouts and 18 runs scored in six games this October.

High on the front office's offseason agenda should be to construct a roster capable of producing more consistent offense, especially when stakes and pressure get cranked up against high-level pitching in the playoffs...

Manager Rocco Baldelli said. "Offensively it didn't feel like we probably settled in and had the at-bats that we had for most of the second half [of the season]. But you have to give credit to the team on the other side of the field for being a good ballclub and for pitching well."

That's precisely the point. Teams typically don't get to feast on weak pitching in the postseason. The Twins offense came alive after the All-Star break, but the playoffs are different. Pitching is different. The importance of each plate appearance is magnified.

The Astros showed their championship pedigree by producing more big hits over the series.

"We didn't score enough runs," Baldelli said.

Baldelli's risky pitching strategy in Game 4 will receive considerable attention and likely criticism, but pitching wasn't the problem."

We've got 4 of 5 starters figured out.

1. Lopez
2. Ryan
3. Paddock
4. Ober

They could see if Varland can fill that spot but I think they may try keeping him in the bullpen. Might see another offseason trade to get a starter. Probably not to the level of Lopez but hopefully not just a #5 guy either. A guy like Junior Severino is a likely candidate to be traded. He could be a sleeper good player but he plays positions already crowded.

Do they bring back Pagan? Not against it at all, just hope they don't plan on him being one of the top 2-3 relievers. Would be nice to add another veteran arm in the bullpen.

Would like to see them try to land Hoskins. Might be wishful thinking, not sure how much he would cost after being hurt all year. They need someone at 1B.
I think you're sort of playing with fire if you're planning on any of those 3 guys being your #2.
I'd like to see them add a lefty to the rotation. Ideally, Snell would be that guy, but I don't think he'd be interested in this regime. Jordan Montgomery would be an option. If Rodriguez declines his option with the Tigers, I'd go hard after him. He's from Venezuela, so maybe there's a connection with Lopez.

I would be surprised if they bring back Gray.

Rotation is almost set without him. Not sure what the timeline is on Mahle returning or his contract situation. They also have Winder and Varland who can be used as starters.

Bringing back Gray seems unlikely to happen.

I would be surprised if they bring back Gray.

Rotation is almost set without him. Not sure what the timeline is on Mahle returning or his contract situation. They also have Winder and Varland who can be used as starters.

Bringing back Gray seems unlikely to happen.
Mahle is a free agent. They got 9 games from him.

I think you're sort of playing with fire if you're planning on any of those 3 guys being your #2.
I'd like to see them add a lefty to the rotation. Ideally, Snell would be that guy, but I don't think he'd be interested in this regime. Jordan Montgomery would be an option. If Rodriguez declines his option with the Tigers, I'd go hard after him. He's from Venezuela, so maybe there's a connection with Lopez.
I didn't mean that to necessarily be the order, just posting the 4 guys that should be in the rotation. I would love to get someone to fit in right after Lopez.

I think trades is always going to be the best option for a starting pitcher. Minnesota is way down at the bottom of destinations for starting pitchers.

1 QO to Gray
2 Sign a RH power bat
3 Release Gordon - Martin proved in St. Paul that he is a much better option as the 2nd utility
4 Pick up the team options on both Polanco & Kepler. They proved that they are bargains at their rates. They can become trade bait.

"It also will be remembered for an offense that struck out a record number of times — 1,654 — and once again failed to deliver in the playoffs.

This team's final postseason numbers are a harsh reminder of a glaring issue: 73 strikeouts and 18 runs scored in six games this October.

High on the front office's offseason agenda should be to construct a roster capable of producing more consistent offense, especially when stakes and pressure get cranked up against high-level pitching in the playoffs...

Manager Rocco Baldelli said. "Offensively it didn't feel like we probably settled in and had the at-bats that we had for most of the second half [of the season]. But you have to give credit to the team on the other side of the field for being a good ballclub and for pitching well."

That's precisely the point. Teams typically don't get to feast on weak pitching in the postseason. The Twins offense came alive after the All-Star break, but the playoffs are different. Pitching is different. The importance of each plate appearance is magnified.

The Astros showed their championship pedigree by producing more big hits over the series.

"We didn't score enough runs," Baldelli said.

Baldelli's risky pitching strategy in Game 4 will receive considerable attention and likely criticism, but pitching wasn't the problem."
Are people really criticizing the bullpen use in game 4? That went about as well as could be expected, other than one hanger to Abreu.

A decision will have to be made about Vasquez at catcher. The guy didn’t play a single game in the playoffs even though he was signed for his playoff pedigree.

Don’t forget that the twins might lose $40million for BSN next year and will have to try and replace that. I don’t see the payroll expanding and it might have to shrink.

Grey is going to be offered the Qualifying offer and will turn it down. He will then sign for $100million of 4 years with someone else as the pitching crop is not great this offseason.

A decision will have to be made about Vasquez at catcher. The guy didn’t play a single game in the playoffs even though he was signed for his playoff pedigree.

Don’t forget that the twins might lose $40million for BSN next year and will have to try and replace that. I don’t see the payroll expanding and it might have to shrink.

Grey is going to be offered the Qualifying offer and will turn it down. He will then sign for $100million of 4 years with someone else as the pitching crop is not great this offseason.
The way Jeffers was hitting, Vasquex should have been given a shot in game 4

Another good goal for 2024:

- play games on a TV channel not run by jagoffs and that fans can actually tune in with modern live TV services.

You can't really do anything with Buxton other than have him be your opening day CF, and have a good backup option like Taylor for 2/3 of the season. Just DH'ing him doesn't work. They are stuck with his contract for the next 5 years.
I agree. Either he's in CF or on the IL. I think 2024 will be his last try. If he can't play at least 80-100 games they will come to some sort of injury settlement for the rest of the $$ and let him retire. I have no idea if they were able to insure any part of his contract, but I doubt it.

The problem probably is going to be he will want a 3 year contract. He's not worth 3 years at this point in his career.
Nope. Make him a qualifying offer. If he accepts it, great. If not, take the draft pick and use $$ elsewhere.

Yep.

Play him and he does well = win. We get a top shelf fielder back out there and maybe he hits some HR's.

Play him and he breaks = win. Now you can play the next guy who probably deserves to be out there more.

I'd make re-signing Taylor a high priority. Looking at the list of CF'ers there's not many better options outside of maybe Kiermeier and I don't think they're comfortable putting Castro out there 100 games.

I'd pass on Pagan. 2023 was as good as he's going to be. Let someone else pay him $5 million for a 4.50 ERA and 10 blown leads.

I'm not sure there's much of a decision on Vazquez. He's not really tradable with 2 years/$20 million left on his contract. He's just an over-paid back-up catcher at this point. I just hope they play Jeffers 100 games and Vazquez 60 instead of 80/80.

They won't lose all $40 million of course. It's hard to figure what they will earn from a mix of streaming/selling rights directly to cable/satellite but you'd hope they could at least hit 75% of the BSN amount.

I think the Twins learned from Lance Lynn/Logan Morrison in 2018 that clubhouse chemistry matters. The 2023 team had good chemistry. That's not a recipe to make it better. Plus I'm not sure he's even that good anymore.

I think the Twins learned from Lance Lynn/Logan Morrison in 2018 that clubhouse chemistry matters. The 2023 team had good chemistry. That's not a recipe to make it better. Plus I'm not sure he's even that good anymore.
Yeah I wouldn't want him anywhere near the clubhouse.

Plenty of trade options for pitcher...i'm more worried about what happens with that lineup...on paper you have a lot of players who are ok or better and nowhere to really play guys (this between the big leagues and minors). Who do you keep, resign, trade, and who or what position do you upgrade?

The hitting approach was awful. I know it's been a revolving door of batting coaches, but they need to try again. Swinging out of your shoes and hoping for the best is something I could teach.

The hitting approach was awful. I know it's been a revolving door of batting coaches, but they need to try again. Swinging out of your shoes and hoping for the best is something I could teach.

BG! Good to see you posting

Top Bottom