All Things 2023-2024 Minnesota Twins Off-Season Thread

As expected -

Nov. 14: OF Emmanuel Rodriguez, INF/OF Austin Martin selected to 40-man roster
These were the Twins' expected moves ahead of the 5 p.m. CT deadline to protect prospects from the upcoming Rule 5 Draft in December. Rodriguez is the organization's No. 3 prospect and the No. 48 overall prospect in baseball and could be a cornerstone piece for the future, while Martin, ranked No. 20 in the organization, is all but ready to impact the MLB roster in '24 as a super-utility option and potential center fielder.

Here is a bit more info on the two others they added and two others they didn’t, who were considered most probable from what I read -

Though he has no defined defensive position, the Twins added Severino last week before he became a minor-league free agent.

Signed in December 2017 for $2.5 million, Severino slugged his way back onto the prospect map, blasting 35 home runs between Double A and Triple A for the Twins last season.

Despite his defensive limitations, the Twins believe enough teams were interested in Severino that he potentially could be taken in next month’s Rule 5 draft, which allows experienced, unprotected players left off their club’s 40-man rosters to be selected onto the major league rosters of drafting clubs, as long as that player remains in the big leagues all season.

The Twins could attempt to trade Severino this offseason to one of those interested clubs.

After he previously went unprotected a year ago, Camargo also was headed for minor-league free agency this winter. Instead, the Twins decided the young catcher is worthy of the 40-man spot after he belted 21 homers at St. Paul last season. Were the Twins to find a taker for Christian Vázquez’s contract, Camargo, who turned 24 in July, could very easily find his way to the majors by next season to pair with Ryan Jeffers.

The Twins opted to leave Triple-A center fielder DaShawn Keirsey and infielder/outfielder Michael Helman unprotected. Helman, who turned 27 in May, produced a .902 OPS in 118 plate appearances at St. Paul.

A fourth-round pick in 2018, Keirsey produced an .821 OPS in 549 trips to the plate between Double A and Triple A and is a strong enough defender to be seen as a potential fourth outfielder in the big leagues.

Last edited:

last I saw, with the current additions, there are 38 players on the 40-man roster. so room to make some moves.

as noted earlier, Sonny Gray declined the Twins' Qualifying Offer, making him a free agent. If he signs elsewhere for a contract that totals $50-million or more, the Twins will receive a supplemental draft pick that would follow the 1st round - so somewhere around 33 to 35 in draft order.

and once again, until the Twins figure out the TV situation, I don't see them going after any higher-priced free agents. I keep reading that they will focus on making trades instead of signing free agents.

also saw that James Rowson - former Twins hitting coach - is the new hitting coach for the Yankees. He used to work as a minor-league coordinator for the Yankees and reportedly has a good relationship with Aaron Judge.

Hate to put a damper on some Xmas dreams of replacing Gray via FA, but here are the projected contracts for the Tier 1 & 2 FA hurlers, per The Athletic -

Tier 1
PLAYERTOP 40 RANKPROJECTION
Aaron Nola26/$180m
Yoshinobu Yamamoto37/$203m
Blake Snell55/$135m
Yamamoto’s been an ace in Japan, and Snell’s coming off a career year that will likely earn him a Cy Young when the awards are announced Wednesday night. Trade candidate Corbin Burnes would also qualify if the Milwaukee Brewers can be enticed to move him.

Tier 2
PLAYERFA RANKPROJECTION
Jordan Montgomery55/$105m
Sonny Gray73/$72m
Eduardo Rodriguez95/$80m
Marcus Stroman113/$63m

I know baseball and what statistics go into evaluating a pitcher's effectiveness have changed drastically over the years, but that bit of my childhood brain can't help but have his mind blown that a starting pitcher with a .500 record without reaching 10 wins can finish second in the Cy Young voting. Again, I recognize wins are no longer the mark of a great pitcher and I know that's a good thing and I'm really glad Sonny Gray was on the Twins the past couple of seasons, but it's still wild to me.

I know baseball and what statistics go into evaluating a pitcher's effectiveness have changed drastically over the years, but that bit of my childhood brain can't help but have his mind blown that a starting pitcher with a .500 record without reaching 10 wins can finish second in the Cy Young voting. Again, I recognize wins are no longer the mark of a great pitcher and I know that's a good thing and I'm really glad Sonny Gray was on the Twins the past couple of seasons, but it's still wild to me.
I miss that era

Hate to put a damper on some Xmas dreams of replacing Gray via FA, but here are the projected contracts for the Tier 1 & 2 FA hurlers, per The Athletic -

Tier 1
Aaron Nola26/$180m
Blake Snell55/$135m
Yamamoto’s been an ace in Japan, and Snell’s coming off a career year that will likely earn him a Cy Young when the awards are announced Wednesday night. Trade candidate Corbin Burnes would also qualify if the Milwaukee Brewers can be enticed to move him.

Tier 2
PLAYERFA RANKPROJECTION
Sonny Gray73/$72m
Eduardo Rodriguez95/$80m
Marcus Stroman113/$63m
That for Nola would be crazy. Someone will pay it but man, he'd be 37 at the end. No way I'd give him 6 years. And he really hasn't been that great the past few years. ERA of 4.40+ two of the last three years.

Burnes is the guy I'd love to see the Twins try to get in a trade.

That for Nola would be crazy. Someone will pay it but man, he'd be 37 at the end. No way I'd give him 6 years. And he really hasn't been that great the past few years. ERA of 4.40+ two of the last three years.

Burns would be great and maybe Smithers can be a throw in?

The only thing that makes me Leary of him, we only have him under contract for this year.

It's official - get ready for the Las Vegas A's.

The Oakland Athletics' move to Las Vegas was unanimously approved Thursday by MLB team owners, cementing the sport's first relocation since 2005.

A 75% vote of the 30 teams was necessary for approval of A's owner John Fisher's plan, which was endorsed by baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred.

After years of complaints about the Oakland Coliseum and an inability to negotiate government assistance for a new ballpark in the Bay area, the A's plan to move to a stadium to be built on the Las Vegas Strip with $380 million in public financing approved by the Nevada government.

The Athletics' lease at the Coliseum runs through 2024, and they will remain next season at the outdated and run-down stadium where they have played since moving to California in 1968. It remains unclear where the team will play after that until a new ballpark opens, which Fisher said will be in 2028.

Las Vegas will become the franchise's fourth city, the most for an MLB team. The A's played in Philadelphia from 1901-54, then moved to Kansas City for 13 seasons before going to California.

It's official - get ready for the Las Vegas A's.

The Oakland Athletics' move to Las Vegas was unanimously approved Thursday by MLB team owners, cementing the sport's first relocation since 2005.

A 75% vote of the 30 teams was necessary for approval of A's owner John Fisher's plan, which was endorsed by baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred.

After years of complaints about the Oakland Coliseum and an inability to negotiate government assistance for a new ballpark in the Bay area, the A's plan to move to a stadium to be built on the Las Vegas Strip with $380 million in public financing approved by the Nevada government.

The Athletics' lease at the Coliseum runs through 2024, and they will remain next season at the outdated and run-down stadium where they have played since moving to California in 1968. It remains unclear where the team will play after that until a new ballpark opens, which Fisher said will be in 2028.

Las Vegas will become the franchise's fourth city, the most for an MLB team. The A's played in Philadelphia from 1901-54, then moved to Kansas City for 13 seasons before going to California.
I feel really bad for A's fans. Terrible owner. The Red McCombs of MLB.

Tier 1
Aaron Nola26/$180m
Blake Snell55/$135m

Tier 2
PLAYERFA RANKPROJECTION
Sonny Gray73/$72m
Eduardo Rodriguez95/$80m
Marcus Stroman113/$63m
Attention Blue Light Shoppers (us), here are Tiers 3 & 4 -

Tier 3
PLAYERFA RANKPROJECTION
Shoto Imanaga124/$52m
Lucas Giolito154/$70m
Michael Wacha173/$36m
Seth Lugo182/$26m
Jack Flaherty253/$45m
Clayton Kershaw261/$15
The pitching market very quickly slips into risk-reward territory. Dylan Cease might fit this category if the Chicago White Soxwere to trade him. Kershaw just underwent shoulder surgery, but believes he could be back sometime in the summer.

Tier 4
PLAYERFA RANKPROJECTION
Kenta Maeda271/$10m
Mike Clevinger312/$22m
Hyun-jin Ryu361/$11m
Michael Lorenzen401/$11m

I’d love to have Seth Lugo for two years @ $13M per. He was amazing as a Met, both as a reliever and then and as a spot starter.

This was his first year exclusively as a starter and his ERA of 3.50 tracked to his career of 3.57. His WHIP is ~1.2 and he was beloved by his Met teammates. I think he can be a double digit winner.

For those of you unaware of Seth’s portfolio -

Last edited:

Doc Gooden’s 59th birthday today.
When he was 20 and won the Cy, his salient stats were-
24-4
1.53 ERA
8 shoutouts
268 Ks
No Frickin Sabermetrics required🥴

Doc Gooden’s 59th birthday today.
When he was 20 and won the Cy, his salient stats were-
24-4
1.53 ERA
8 shoutouts
268 Ks
No Frickin Sabermetrics required🥴
16 CGs too which led the NL. His first 2 seasons were just sick.

1985 was when we got cable which included WWOR, which had over 50 Mets games. Also whenever they played the Cubs & Braves they also were on the tube. Great NL East race down to the final weekend with the Cards.

Attention Blue Light Shoppers (us), here are Tiers 3 & 4 -

Tier 3
PLAYERFA RANKPROJECTION
Shoto Imanaga124/$52m
Lucas Giolito154/$70m
Michael Wacha173/$36m
Seth Lugo182/$26m
Jack Flaherty253/$45m
Clayton Kershaw261/$15
The pitching market very quickly slips into risk-reward territory. Dylan Cease might fit this category if the Chicago White Soxwere to trade him. Kershaw just underwent shoulder surgery, but believes he could be back sometime in the summer.

Tier 4
PLAYERFA RANKPROJECTION
Kenta Maeda271/$10m
Mike Clevinger312/$22m
Hyun-jin Ryu361/$11m
Michael Lorenzen401/$11m

I’d love to have Seth Lugo for two years @ $13M per. He was amazing as a Met, both as a reliever and then and as a spot starter.

This was his first year exclusively as a starter and his ERA of 3.50 tracked to his career of 3.57. His WHIP is ~1.2 and he was beloved by his Met teammates. I think he can be a double digit winner.

For those of you unaware of Seth’s portfolio -

I really want Varland to stay in the bullpen because I think he can be very good there. But apparently Varland wants to remain a starter. Either way, I think they can't rely on him as the 5th starter.

Wacha or Lugo would be good and realistic options in free agency. I want nothing to do with Giolito at that price. He's been terrible.

I really want Varland to stay in the bullpen because I think he can be very good there. But apparently Varland wants to remain a starter. Either way, I think they can't rely on him as the 5th starter.
He stated in an article, “starters get paid.”

In an ideal world we sign Wacha or Lugo and Louis would struggle as a starter and then they have a come to Jesus moment with him and tell him his future lies in the pen and he should be grateful the good Lord blessed him with that arm, He’s a young Buck and will learn his lessons the way we all do, the hard way😃.

I’m excited to see what wheeling and dealing we do this offseason.

Wacha or Lugo would be good and realistic options in free agency. I want nothing to do with Giolito at that price. He's been terrible.

looking ahead -

Baseball Winter Meetings are Dec 3-6 in Nashville. GM's and agents meet, mingle and discuss possible trades and/or free agent signings.

the Draft Lottery is Dec 5th. this decides the first 6 picks in the draft. adjustments can be made to the draft order depending on whether teams were above the luxury tax level.

the Rule 5 Draft is Dec 6th. Minor league players who were not added to their teams' 40-man rosters by Nov 14 may be selected by another team. there is one round for the Major League phase and then a separate Minor League rule 5 draft for players who are not on a 38-man Triple A roster.

Jan 12th - deadline to exchange figures for arbitration-eligible players.

Jan 15th - International Signing period opens.

Jan 29 to Feb 16 - Arbitration hearings are held if needed.

Mid-February - the greatest four words in the English language - Pitchers and Catchers Report.

looking ahead -

Baseball Winter Meetings are Dec 3-6 in Nashville. GM's and agents meet, mingle and discuss possible trades and/or free agent signings.

the Draft Lottery is Dec 5th. this decides the first 6 picks in the draft. adjustments can be made to the draft order depending on whether teams were above the luxury tax level.

the Rule 5 Draft is Dec 6th. Minor league players who were not added to their teams' 40-man rosters by Nov 14 may be selected by another team. there is one round for the Major League phase and then a separate Minor League rule 5 draft for players who are not on a 38-man Triple A roster.

Jan 12th - deadline to exchange figures for arbitration-eligible players.

Jan 15th - International Signing period opens.

Jan 29 to Feb 16 - Arbitration hearings are held if needed.

Mid-February - the greatest four words in the English language - Pitchers and Catchers Report.
Saw a report on MLB thst the Tigers 🐯 may be active this year; with FA and/or trades, they have 5 IIRC Top 100 prospects.

Nola resigns with Philly for $172M/7 years.
Think they’re popping the champagne 🍾 @ the Gray household?

$24.6-million average over 7 years.

2023- age 30 season - 12-9, 4.46 era, 193 IP, 202 K, 32 HR. BB/9 were up, K/9 down.

thru 9 seasons: 90-71, 3.72 era

two of last 3 seasons with an ERA+ under 100 - the 2nd and 3rd-lowest of his career.

If this is helping to set the market, you can forget about the Twins signing any free-agent starters - at least anyone who would slot in as a top-3 starter.

So the Twins gave up the 26th overall pick from a few years ago for two years of Sonny Gray and a pick that will be around 32-35 in the upcoming draft.

Not too bad.
as long as they use those picks wisely. If they land a Brooks Lee or Walker Jenkins, great. If they land a Tyler Jay or a Kohl Stewart - not so great. the draft can be a real crapshoot sometimes.

Just in time for Black Friday -
  • Yoshinobu Yamamoto.

• Wait, who?Yamamoto is the next incoming superstar from Japan, an ace-potential right-handed starter every contender covets. I thought Grant Brisbee’s Giants-focused breakdown of Yamamoto actually serves well for all readers. The dude allowed two home runs last season in 171 innings. Two! Also, he might enter MLB with the best splitter in baseball. Nippon Professional Baseball officially posts him today, so get ready for a flurry of reports this week.

Twins will, and should, trade for a starter that has a year or two of team control and reasonable contract. They can then figure out their dumb TV stuff and hopefully do what they did with Lopez and sign them to a longer contract in the future.

Just in time for Black Friday -
  • Yoshinobu Yamamoto.

• Wait, who?Yamamoto is the next incoming superstar from Japan, an ace-potential right-handed starter every contender covets. I thought Grant Brisbee’s Giants-focused breakdown of Yamamoto actually serves well for all readers. The dude allowed two home runs last season in 171 innings. Two! Also, he might enter MLB with the best splitter in baseball. Nippon Professional Baseball officially posts him today, so get ready for a flurry of reports this week.
It's always interesting seeing guys move from the NBP. His stuff is electric so he shouldn't have too much of a problem with the transition but you just don't know. Different strategies and rules can make it tough.

Kyle Gibson signed a one year deal with the Cards gor $12M. They also inked Lance Lynn to a 1 year deal on Monday for $11M.

all the buzz on Maeda has him signing with Detroit.

there was a blurb on MLB Trade rumors that the Twins are shopping Vazquez. coming off the year he had, he won't bring much in return but I suppose he could be a piece in a bigger package.

all the buzz on Maeda has him signing with Detroit.

there was a blurb on MLB Trade rumors that the Twins are shopping Vazquez. coming off the year he had, he won't bring much in return but I suppose he could be a piece in a bigger package.
Salary too. Get off books

Top Bottom