All Things 2022 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

We play the Colts at home next season, while we don't play Pittsburgh, Tampa, or Carolina. For whatever that is worth.

Supposedly a factor in the Colts ditching Wentz after one year was a lack of strong leadership. Not sure if Cousins would change that.

Carolina has the #6 overall pick, though 2022 isn't the best QB draft class.

Last edited:

We play the Colts at home next season, while we don't play Pittsburgh, Tampa, or Carolina. For whatever that is worth.

Supposedly a factor in the Colts ditching Wentz after one year was a lack of strong leadership. Not sure if Cousins would change that.

You could get a good rusher or Linderbaum with that pick.

I'm antsy for a Kirk trade. Lets do this
Panthers apparently "laughed off" the notion of trading for Cousins recently, despite reports they called about him a month ago or so. It is the silly season after all.

One would think there are too many QB-needy teams to not make a reasonable offer for Cousins, but it's hard to say.

Whether it's Deshaun Watson or Cousins or some other big fish, I really find it hard to believe that both Seattle and Indy moved their starting QB's without having a solid plan in place (and one that doesn't involve drafting a QB this year). Should still be some more movement to come, buckle up!

On the RB position, I think Mattison - while certainly not as good as Cook, can be a serviceable back.

and Nwangwu is the wild-card. I can see O'Connell using him in multiple sets (providing he can catch the ball) in order to match up his speed against LB's.

I don't know if Cook has a lot of trade value, but if someone will give you a pick for him, take it.

FWIW, I saw a report that Carolina is shopping McCaffrey. Similar skills to Cook but with even worse injury history.

Playing Kirk is a positive. He will wet himself in that game as if it's Sunday Night Football.

Reusse threw out Tampa as a landing spot for Cousins. Makes as much sense as any other team for speculation.
Except Tampa is over the salary cap already. So taking on $35 million of Cousins isn't terribly appealing I would imagine.

Except Tampa is over the salary cap already. So taking on $35 million of Cousins isn't terribly appealing I would imagine.
How would have they dealt with it if Brady came back? I am sure something can be worked out...restructuring, taking assets back via trade, etc.

Any team that trades for Cousins will obviously look to sign him to an extension that lowers his $35M this year and signs him for multiple years.

You’ve convicted him? Just guessing or do you know something?
If there's enough smoke, there's probably fire. Either way, dude is clearly a mega creep, so I wouldn't want that bad juju.

If Cousins had stayed at Wash the past 2 yrs and put up the same numbers we would be begging the vikes to sign Cousins

The Chargers struck a deal with the Chicago Bears on Thursday to trade for defensive end Khalil Mack, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

In exchange, the Bears will reportedly receive a 2022 second-round draft pick and a 2023 sixth-round draft pick.

How would have they dealt with it if Brady came back? I am sure something can be worked out...restructuring, taking assets back via trade, etc.
I'm sure they CAN make it work if they really love Cousins. But it might make more sense to take their salary cap medicine for a year and re-set. They got their ring already. I guess the temptation is that the AFC South sucks and they could almost surely win it with him. But a Super Bowl? Probably not.

Jeff Gladney found Not Guilty in his case down in Texas:

>> Former Vikings cornerback Jeff Gladney was found not guilty of assaulting a woman last year, according to multiple reports. After he was charged with assault, he was released by Minnesota and didn't play a snap in the NFL last season.

Gladney, who started 15 of the 16 games he played for the Vikings during his rookie season, had 81 tackles and a forced fumble that year. With his case resolved, it's likely he'll draw interest from teams looking to bolster their depth at cornerback.

Gladney, 25, turned himself in last April after a warrant was issued for his arrest for family violence assault, a third-degree felony. A woman identified as Jane Doe filed a civil lawsuit against Gladney on July 26, saying that Gladney physically assaulted, beat and held her against her will "for several hours" on April 1, then attempted to "bribe, threaten, blackmail and manipulate" her not to speak about the incident.<<

It'll be interesting to see what kind of interest he drums up

In exchange, the Bears will reportedly receive a 2022 second-round draft pick and a 2023 sixth-round draft pick.
That seems like an insane steal by the Chargers, no?

I think it's telling that Carson Wentz got traded before Kirk Cousins did.

Tells you about the market for Kirk Cousins right now.

That seems like an insane steal by the Chargers, no?

Possibly. Could be the Bears, looking at Mack's production last season and his season ending surgery, and they're betting that he won't return to his previous form.

Chargers are betting that he will.

Last edited:

Possibly. Could be the Bears, looking at Mack's production last season and his season ending surgery, and their betting that he won't return to his previous form.

I like the Belichek philosophy. Get rid of a guy one year too soon instead of one year too late.

Possibly. Could be the Bears, looking at Mack's production last season and his season ending surgery, and their betting that he won't return to his previous form.

Also offloading the cap hit. Could be a smart move!

This could be the year of the re-tread QBs and it could hurt any market for Cousins, believe it or not. Hearing names like Trubisky, Mariota, Minshew, even Jameis Winston thrown around as stopgaps or placeholders, and who will all come at a much lower price than Cousins. Coaches have big egos like any other successful people; there will be some offensive guys that think they could win with a Trubisky or a Mariota. More power to them I guess. Jimmy G almost certainly needs to be moved yet also.

Sounds like the biggest, essentially one of the ONLY, obstacles to moving Cousins is that contract situation heading into next year. Impossible to tell if he gets moved; as it always has, it boils down to what KOC and KAM think about Cousins and at this point we don't have a clue, despite anything they say publicly

Once again, for all the focus on Cousins, the Vikes' biggest issues are on the defense.

I've seen reports claiming they are trying to sign Akiem Hicks from the Bears for the D-Line.

Questions all over the defense - whether to keep/renegotiate with Smith, Kendricks, Barr, Hunter, etc.

Who plays D-Line in the new 3-4 base?

Who in the bleep plays linebacker? they had guys playing last year I had never heard of.

Cornerback depth?

So, someone had better be focusing on the defense, or the offense is going to have to score 30 points a game if they want to win.

Once again, for all the focus on Cousins, the Vikes' biggest issues are on the defense.

I've seen reports claiming they are trying to sign Akiem Hicks from the Bears for the D-Line.

Questions all over the defense - whether to keep/renegotiate with Smith, Kendricks, Barr, Hunter, etc.

Who plays D-Line in the new 3-4 base?

Who in the bleep plays linebacker? they had guys playing last year I had never heard of.

Cornerback depth?

So, someone had better be focusing on the defense, or the offense is going to have to score 30 points a game if they want to win.
Offensive line.

I've seen a lot of talk that Seahawks want Watson.

Also, apparently J&M said on one of their podcasts that a little birdie says the Vikings and Colts are in early trade talks for Cousins.

Top Bottom