All Things 2022 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

Maybe we can swap Cousins for Watson now

I'm guessing Steelers, if Watson is moved.

The Steelers and Tomlin are one of the few that have built up enough capital to withstand a shitload of heat and outrage over a move like this. And the Steelers are in the business of winning, and Watson keeps them incredibly relevant and even a contender if they were to go that route.

I've seen a lot of talk that Seahawks want Watson.

Also, apparently J&M said on one of their podcasts that a little birdie says the Vikings and Colts are in early trade talks for Cousins.
Who's J&M?

Would you trade Cousins for Trey Lance straight up? I would.

Souhan this afternoon: https://www.startribune.com/kirk-cousins-vikings-quarterback-trade-potential-jim-souhan/600155186/

So every time you hear a rumor about the Vikings trading Cousins, ask yourself these questions:

- Can the Vikings get good value for a highly-paid middling quarterback who has won one playoff game in seven years as a starter?

- Do the Vikings have a viable alternative for this season?
- Would any NFL team with a solid roster trade the fourth-best quarterback in the conference without having a replacement on their roster?

The answer to that last question is: Only if you're not trying to win in 2022.

The entire article is a circular, fake argument.

- he pretends to build up Cousins as now "fourth best in the NFC" and degrade Rodgers by saying he can't win a Super Bowl
- but, of course, the entire point is that the Vikings with Cousins can't beat the Packers, so we can't win in 2022 regardless if the Packers win or even get to a Super Bowl.

Basically, if Rodgers was in another division, and it was just the Bears, Lions, and Love-led Pack, then it would make more sense to keep Cousins and try to win the North in 2022.

That's all gone now, regardless if Cousins is #2 in the NFC and Rodgers is #1. That whole thing is a stupid argument that doesn't matter.

And then to boot, he tries to play it off that we can't get "good" value for Cousins because he doesn't win playoff games.

If there's enough smoke, there's probably fire. Either way, dude is clearly a mega creep, so I wouldn't want that bad juju.
Ok, I was just wondering as I hadn’t kept up.

I have the same basis for misgivings the opposite way.

When it originally came put it appeared:
-The lawyer was shady.
-there was at least one claim that was procen false.
-there are also massage therapists supporting him

I thought there was enough smoke against the claim to wait and see… ironically though, I didn’t reallly like him before.

Ok, I was just wondering as I hadn’t kept up.

I have the same basis for misgivings the opposite way.

When it originally came put it appeared:
-The lawyer was shady.
-there was at least one claim that was procen false.
-there are also massage therapists supporting him

I thought there was enough smoke against the claim to wait and see… ironically though, I didn’t reallly like him before.
He was cleared by grand jury today. So he's free to be traded, theoretically. Will still be dealing with the civil cases for a while, though.

Don't kid yourself. Even without the criminal charges, Watson has been painted in the public eye as a "sexual predator." in the age of Me Too and Cancel Culture, any team that signs Watson is going to have to deal with some seriously bad publicity. I guarantee that people will be "outraged" at the signing, and you will see efforts to go after the team's major sponsors - "Company X is supporting a sexual predator by advertising with Team Y."

So, the team that signs him is going to have to be prepared for all of the fallout. I just don't see the Wilfs taking on that challenge.

Don't kid yourself. Even without the criminal charges, Watson has been painted in the public eye as a "sexual predator." in the age of Me Too and Cancel Culture, any team that signs Watson is going to have to deal with some seriously bad publicity. I guarantee that people will be "outraged" at the signing, and you will see efforts to go after the team's major sponsors - "Company X is supporting a sexual predator by advertising with Team Y."

So, the team that signs him is going to have to be prepared for all of the fallout. I just don't see the Wilfs taking on that challenge.
Tyrek Hill had the same problem.

Once they go out and score touchdowns, it all goes away. Rightly or Wrongly!

I hope not. The fanbase is crazy enough with "controversial" Cousins. Getting Watson is one of the only things that could make that worse. He's a distraction - I hope we leave him alone.

I hope not. The fanbase is crazy enough with "controversial" Cousins. Getting Watson is one of the only things that could make that worse. He's a distraction - I hope we leave him alone.
Beat Green Bay once and it all goes away.

Beat Green Bay once and it all goes away.
Haha, I'm personally not that desperate. We're usually good for 1 win against them no matter what.

Haha, I'm personally not that desperate. We're usually good for 1 win against them no matter what.
You are missing the point. Watson plays well and no cares about what he did.

You are missing the point. Watson plays well and no cares about what he did.
That's not true at all. Lots of people would care. You may not, which is fine. But you can't speak for all football fans.

He's also not that good. So again, I don't think it's worth the heat.

That's not true at all. Lots of people would care. You may not, which is fine. But you can't speak for all football fans.

He's also not that good. So again, I don't think it's worth the heat.
He is quite good actually.

The Wilfs probably won't. But there is already a list of teams lining up to make that trade. It wouldn't surprise me if he's moved much sooner than later

Watson's 4 years with the Texans: Regular Season: QB Record: 28-25. Rating 104.5. Playoffs: 1-2; 91.0.

Cousins 4 years with the Vikings: Regular Season: QB Record: 33-28-1. Rating 103.5. Play-offs: 1-1; 90.6.

Watson's 4 years with the Texans: Regular Season: QB Record: 28-25. Rating 104.5. Playoffs: 1-2; 91.0.

Cousins 4 years with the Vikings: Regular Season: QB Record: 33-28-1. Rating 103.5. Play-offs: 1-1; 90.6.
That Texan roster was pure shit, though. No Biggie!

Cousins = convenient scapegoat.

The reason to acquire him is that he’s 7 years younger and his mobility helps 😷 issues with the OL. He’s also a thee time Pro Bowler, lead the league in passing in 2020 and us has win in high leverage situations in college,

Unique situation gor a player at his level to be available -I think you take him if you can acquire him.

Cousins = convenient scapegoat.

The reason to acquire him is that he’s 7 years younger and his mobility helps 😷 issues with the OL. He’s also a thee time Pro Bowler, lead the league in passing in 2020 and us has win in high leverage situations in college,

Unique situation gor a player at his level to be available -I think you take him if you can acquire him.
I was not posting that to defend Cousins. But Watson is a huge risk. It will take multiple 1st round picks to acquire him, his salary is already north of $40 million (way over that 15% threshold to win a Super Bowl) and the off field stuff isn't totally resolved.

I'd rather trade Cousins, sign Mariota and draft a QB in 2023.

I was not posting that to defend Cousins. But Watson is a huge risk. It will take multiple 1st round picks to acquire him, his salary is already north of $40 million (way over that 15% threshold to win a Super Bowl) and the off field stuff isn't totally resolved.

Your path may be the correct one, but I think the Vikes should explore it and maybe dangle Hunter and Cook.

we’re a lonshot at this point with odds of +1400, per one article -Seahawks were listed as the favorite at +250.

For me, with Watson, it's always been more about the price tag than the risk. The price tag is just going to be too high for the Vikings to get involved in any race to trade for Watson, even if they did want him.

I can't support drafting a QB in the first round this year, unless somehow they are infinitely more infatuated with one of these QB's than anyone realizes (doubtful?). Do we even know that Mond after a year on the roster and with NFL development is NOT better than Pickett or Howell or Willis?

This draft has some real strength at a few positions the Vikings have needs. If they trade Cousins, I still beef up at Edge and CB and OL and see how the QB position plays out, see what next years draft looks like which should be way better at QB.

I still don't think they trade Cousins but here's hoping they get blown way with an offer.

So trade Cousins, don't get Watson if you can, and roll the dice on a 2023 qb being there.

Count me out in that scenario.

I assume Vikings were just sniffing around in case they could get him "cheaply". No way they're going to pay top dollar to outbid other teams for him.

Your plan there is the correct plan. Or any other similar QB that we could get "cheap".

Painfully obvious. So it won't happen. You know how it goes.

You should post Stafford's record before being traded. LMAO

Top Bottom