All Things 2022 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

You should post Stafford's record before being traded. LMAO

Good point. Stafford got a LOT of credit taking the Rams to the Super Bowl. Completely forgetting that most of those same Rams had been in the Super Bowl just 3 seasons before. With a better regular season record 13-3 too!

But until we quit giving Montana, Beady, Manning, Manning, Young etc. all the credit for winning Super Bowls, we're gonna downgrade Quarterbacks who don't.

Odd that people don't get that.

I assume Vikings were just sniffing around in case they could get him "cheaply". No way they're going to pay top dollar to outbid other teams for him.

Your plan there is the correct plan. Or any other similar QB that we could get "cheap".

Painfully obvious. So it won't happen. You know how it goes.
The Wilfs are not the Pohlads. They have never shied away from the big acquisition. Jared Allen. Brett Farve. Etc. Even Cousins.

You should post Stafford's record before being traded. LMAO
I wouldn't have made that trade either. But they also got out from Jared Goff's terrible contract and were in a win now window. The Vikings are not in a winning window. And trading multiple 1st round picks will only delay that.

I could be wrong, but I suspect the new GM and HC are not going to go "all-in" on signing a QB like Watson - or any high-priced player who would cost them a lot of draft picks.

after the Spielman years, I want some long-term planning and intelligent roster construction.

beyond that, I still maintain the Vikes' defense needs a lot more work than the offense. if you are allocating resources, you allocate them to the biggest area of need first.

I could be wrong, but I suspect the new GM and HC are not going to go "all-in" on signing a QB like Watson - or any high-priced player who would cost them a lot of draft picks.

after the Spielman years, I want some long-term planning and intelligent roster construction.

beyond that, I still maintain the Vikes' defense needs a lot more work than the offense. if you are allocating resources, you allocate them to the biggest area of need first.

A franchise QB will always be the #1 priority until you find one. Watson is a franchise QB on the field, Cousins is not.

I wouldn't have made that trade either. But they also got out from Jared Goff's terrible contract and were in a win now window. The Vikings are not in a winning window. And trading multiple 1st round picks will only delay that.
So no cousins and no Watson.

What is the plan?

With Watson, two young tackles, JJ, hopefully a healthy Irv Smith. I'd say you aren't that far away.

Fix the defense, which could already be better by having new people look at who should stay and who should go.

You would have Watson and JJ for a decade.

So no cousins and no Watson.

What is the plan?
Draft a QB either this year or in 2023 (probably 2023). Sign a bridge QB for 2022-23. My preference is Mariota. Bridgewater or Minshew are also options.

With Watson, two young tackles, JJ, hopefully a healthy Irv Smith. I'd say you aren't that far away.

Fix the defense, which could already be better by having new people look at who should stay and who should go.

You would have Watson and JJ for a decade.
Tough to rebuild the defense if you have to gut your next 2-3 draft classes to acquire Watson.

A franchise QB will always be the #1 priority until you find one. Watson is a franchise QB on the field, Cousins is not.
Cousins is not. Watson might be. Everyone thought Kyler Murray was, not some don't. I would certainly take Watson at the right price. But someone is likely going to trade 3 1sts and more. At that price, I would pass.

DERP

I think it does mean we get an upgrade on the inside of the offensive line in the next 3 days.

Last edited:

As a few of us had mentioned, it seemed a bunch of y'all were freaking out over nothing. Cousins was never going to play here for this next season at $45M.

The no-trade surprised me a tiny bit, because until I saw that, my first thought was this could have easily been done to make him a LOT easier to move in a trade. This number/contract would have certainly made him easier to move in a trade.

My take - I think Kwesi and KOC decided that the "QB of the future" is not coming out of the '22 draft class. And even if they are able to get the QOTF in the '23 draft class, they probably don't want to throw the kid into the fire immediately.

So, they needed a QB for at least 2 years, and now they have one.

Gained a little cap space, but still need to clear more cap room to sign draft picks and/or go after any free agents.

So, more moves pending.

And then, there is still the pesky matter of fixing the defense......

Interested to see if Cousins can take it to the next level under the new HC. More than 1 playoff win would be nice.
Well, we win a minimum of 12 games last year without that abomination of a defense.

The pressure from ownership to not "rebuild" and have a down year must be strong. OR the new bosses truly believe that they can execute their plan with Kirk's big salary still on the books. One way or another, he's probably the best QB they could have arranged for the coming year.

They could still trade him, you know...but now it would have to overcome the no-trade provision.

DERP

I think it does mean we get an upgrade on the inside of the offensive line in the next 3 days.
I hope they keep the same interior 3. Plug Mason Cole in there.

Let him and Bradbury continue to get forklifted into Cousins' lap. That's how we'll win the North!

As a few of us had mentioned, it seemed a bunch of y'all were freaking out over nothing. Cousins was never going to play here for this next season at $45M.

The no-trade surprised me a tiny bit, because until I saw that, my first thought was this could have easily been done to make him a LOT easier to move in a trade. This number/contract would have certainly made him easier to move in a trade.
You were correct, no doubt.

Top Bottom