All Things 2022 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

See some speculation that the Seahawks could use some of that draft capital to make a play for Deshaun Watson if/when he gets his legal mess cleaned up. Not sure if there's much validity to that or not.

I think if the Vikings get overwhelmed by an offer for KC, they at least have to think about it. I think a lot of it comes down to just what KOC thinks of Cousins, a lot of that based on their brief time together with the Redskins. I don't think anyone really knows just what the new regime truly thinks of Cousins right now.

Last edited:

See some speculation that the Seahawks could use some of that draft capital to make a play for Deshaun Watson if/when he gets his legal mess cleaned up. Not sure if there's much validity to that or not.

I think if the Vikings get overwhelmed by an offer for KC, they at least have to think about it. I think a lot of it comes down to just what KOC thinks of Cousins, a lot of that based on their brief time together with the Redskins. I don't think anyone really knows just what the new regime truly thinks of Cousins right now.
I think that might be an option for them as Watson’s legal matters should become clearer on Friday when his case is heard before a grand jury. I doubt Carroll really wants to stick around for a full rebuild at age 70.

PA said that ARodg would announce staying in Green Bay but he followed it up that he wouldn’t be surprised if he went elsewhere.

I think that might be an option for them as Watson’s legal matters should become clearer on Friday when his case is heard before a grand jury. I doubt Carroll really wants to stick around for a full rebuild at age 70.
Plus Pete has never let obstacles get in the way of getting the players he wants - amorality is a great asset in that business.

and now the real QB blockbuster -- Carson Wentz to the Commanders. Apparently the package included two 3rd-round draft picks - AND the Commies picked up Wentz' entire $28-mill contract.

So, that opens up Indy as a team needing an upgrade at QB.

Kwesi - make the call!

and now the real QB blockbuster -- Carson Wentz to the Commanders. Apparently the package included two 3rd-round draft picks - AND the Commies picked up Wentz' entire $28-mill contract.

Kwesi - make the call!
Yes!!! Do it!!!!

2022 Colts are only a solid QB away from being the 2021 Rams !!

Kwesi - make the call!
The 3rd round of the NFL draft will be known as the Carson Wentz round from now on.

If I were a Seahawks fan, I would not consent to that move.

With Rodgers back, there is zero chance we win the North, zero chance we win the Super Bowl.

Makes zero sense not to start the rebuild in 22. It might have made sense if Rodgers was out. But now he isn't.

Pittsburgh, Carolina, Tampa ... IDGAF. Get him out.
While Rodgers returning doesn't help the Vikings chances, it's not like Rodgers has consistently taken the Packers to the Super Bowl either. Just 1 time in 14 seasons.

Him returning shouldn't change the Vikings strategy in 2022 in any way IMO. If they were planning to trade Cousins, then they should continue to do that. If they feel like they can still make a run, then they should do that too.

While Rodgers returning doesn't help the Vikings chances, it's not like Rodgers has consistently taken the Packers to the Super Bowl either. Just 1 time in 14 seasons.

Him returning shouldn't change the Vikings strategy in 2022 in any way IMO. If they were planning to trade Cousins, then they should continue to do that. If they feel like they can still make a run, then they should do that too.
Agree to disagree. Good planning has contingencies.

What you say about Rodgers is both true, and does not disprove what I said. May I only need remind you about what happened to the Vikings in 2019. We lost to GB twice, and thus had to go to New Orleans for the wild card, should've lost but for one time only Cousins actually came through, then we promptly go to SF and lose, then Green Bay goes there and loses just as badly.

If GB isn't good, then it's conceivable we could win the division which in turn gives us a chance in the playoffs. Otherwise, no dice.

If I were a Seahawks fan, I would not consent to that move.
The Seahawks are a team that has shown the stomach to stick their neck out on moves like this. We may know a lot more after this Friday's legal proceedings for Watson.

It's interesting that on a number of lists or discussions of QB targets for QB needy teams, you never see Cousins' name listed. Winston, Trubisky, Mariota, Teddy B. Makes me wonder what kind of calls have been made.

Lastly, on what you mentioned about Seahawks fans/Watson; makes me laugh about Seahawks fans... what a joke.... before Russell Wilson those idiots had bags on their heads and you couldn't give those tickets away. But now suddenly they are "the 12"... sure you are....

It's interesting that on a number of lists or discussions of QB targets for QB needy teams, you never see Cousins' name listed. Winston, Trubisky, Mariota, Teddy B. Makes me wonder what kind of calls have been made.
Agree, have seen similar. Not sure why.

the next week is going to be very interesting, with the start of the new league year coming up. By rule, the Vikes have to be under the cap by the start of the year, then clear enough cap space to sign their draft picks.

I think some familiar and popular players may be gone if they will not accept re-worked contracts.

Everyone is buying Kwese/O'Connell's "we love Cousins so much" spin. Wilson wasn't on many/any of the lists before yesterday either.
Pete had emphatically said last week under No circumstances would Wilson be traded.
Smart to hero Cousins trade talk covert, in case it doesn’t work out and they decide to bring him back instead.

Everyone is buying Kwese/O'Connell's "we love Cousins so much" spin. Wilson wasn't on many/any of the lists before yesterday either.
He showed up on this CBS list as a possibility for the Colts. Indeed, the Colts are a roster built for success.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ng-seven-potential-2022-qb-options-for-colts/

Kirk Cousins

He might be the Colts' most realistic potential "big" swing at QB. While new Vikings coach Kevin O'Connell has a positive history with Cousins, Minnesota brass has every reason to explore a trade, with the QB due a whopping $45M in 2022. Like Carr, he's long been a borderline top-10 QB -- reliably efficient with a good arm, albeit little postseason success. Now that the Broncos, another logical landing spot, are off the board after their blockbuster Russell Wilson acquisition, the Colts could still allow the Vikings to ship their QB out of the NFC (and draft a replacement and/or add a cheaper stopgap, like old friend Teddy Bridgewater). Indy, meanwhile, would be getting at least a slight upgrade under center, for 2022 or beyond.

Is it reasonable to expect an established guard/and/or/center for Cook? IMO, a solid OL is more important than a highly paid RB.
This should be one of the most obvious true things in today's game as you can get.

Wasting a lot of money on a RB, just makes no sense.

You don't need a burner at RB. You just need a guy who can block decent and hit the hole hard. Everyone will take a guy who gets 7 yards by hitting the hole and not worry that he doesn't have the jets to break it for a TD if he happens to get by the linebackers.

If you can catch a few out of the backfield, that's a bonus. Don't fumble the ball, probably more important.

Is it reasonable to expect an established guard/and/or/center for Cook? IMO, a solid OL is more important than a highly paid RB.

I think you kind of answered the question yourself. I don't think they can get a lot for Cook just because RB isn't as important anymore.

I'd like to see them collect as many draft picks as possible and get as young as possible. It's time to rebuild.

Top Bottom