All Things 2022 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

Who says he will agree to a contract with multiple fake void years? Why should he? They can do an extension and get his cap # down to $35 million or so, but that's it. He's not going to agree to some BS contract that locks him up through 2026 or anything like that.

They can run it back certainly. They will be very hard-pressed to bring both Rodgers and Adams back. If they do, they won't be able to upgrade much of anything and will downgrade in some spots. Can they still win the Super Bowl? Maybe. It is likely? No.
It's not a problem. Hell, the Vikings were signing defensive tackles while paying Cousins.

It's not a problem. Hell, the Vikings were signing defensive tackles while paying Cousins.
What does that have to do with anything? You seem to struggle with math. The Vikings have never been $40-$60 million over the cap as the Packers now are/will be if they keep Rodgers and Adams. Few teams go that far over without eating their vegetables for a year to get back in good shape. Can they kick the can one more time? I suppose. Can they do it for the next 3-4 years? No. Even New England eventually had to take the hit in 2020 and cut to bare bones. And Brady was a lot more flexible with his $$ than Rodgers has been.

What does that have to do with anything? You seem to struggle with math. The Vikings have never been $40-$60 million over the cap as the Packers now are/will be if they keep Rodgers and Adams. Few teams go that far over without eating their vegetables for a year to get back in good shape. Can they kick the can one more time? I suppose. Can they do it for the next 3-4 years? No. Even New England eventually had to take the hit in 2020 and cut to bare bones. And Brady was a lot more flexible with his $$ than Rodgers has been.
It's not that hard, sir!

Here is the first sentence of the article............Here’s a pathway to the Packers staying all-in while also creating the cap space necessary to get under the cap without gutting the roster.

Last edited:

It's not that hard, sir!

Here is the first sentence of the article............Here’s a pathway to the Packers staying all-in while also creating the cap space necessary to get under the cap without gutting the roster.

And what that article then actually goes on to suggest is:

Extension for QB Aaron Rodgers
Release OLB Za'Darius Smith
Restructure for DL Kenny Clark
Extension for OLB Preston Smith
Extension for CB Jaire Alexander
Restructure for LT David Bakhtiari
Release WR Randall Cobb
Restructure for S Adrian Amos
Restructure for OL Billy Turner
Restructure for DL Dean Lowry
Restructure for RB Aaron Jones
Total savings: $84.8 million

Release WR Randall Cobb
That's a lot of guys agreeing to restructuring. Really the only incentive for a player agree to a restructuring is if they 1. are loyal to their team and really want to stay there, or 2. think they won't get as much on the open market than what they're restructuring for.

What will likely have to happen is you're going to have to extend guys that you don't necessarily want to extend, just to backload their contracts for 3-4 years out. You're able to "win now" and mortgage the future. Then you likely cut them in a few years and take your large dead cap hit for a year or two as you go through cap purgatory, and start over with what you hope is yet another HOF QB.

^^^ F it, let him go to Denver, we're still shipping Kirk off to Carolina that's final! I've decided! :D

That's a lot of guys agreeing to restructuring. Really the only incentive for a player agree to a restructuring is if they 1. are loyal to their team and really want to stay there, or 2. think they won't get as much on the open market than what they're restructuring for.

What will likely have to happen is you're going to have to extend guys that you don't necessarily want to extend, just to backload their contracts for 3-4 years out. You're able to "win now" and mortgage the future. Then you likely cut them in a few years and take your large dead cap hit for a year or two as you go through cap purgatory, and start over with what you hope is yet another HOF QB.
Exactly. Even if they do all of that, they have about enough cap room to afford Rodgers and Adams. No additions. Is that still a good team? Sure. Is it winning the Super Bowl? Probably not. Are they screwed for a few years going forward? Yes. So by all means, run it back GB!

Exactly. Even if they do all of that, they have about enough cap room to afford Rodgers and Adams. No additions. Is that still a good team? Sure. Is it winning the Super Bowl? Probably not. Are they screwed for a few years going forward? Yes. So by all means, run it back GB!
Bold: can always get lucky in the draft. While hoping every team ahead of them is unlucky (draft and injuries) and loses people.

Yeah.

Remember broseph,
Tiny 🎟 = Tiny 🧠 & 🙌

Release WR Randall Cobb
He can only read headlines
Tiny ticket 🎟 = tiny 🧠

apologies if this has already been discussed, but

there is a maneuver that teams can do called "Simple restructuring" that does not require approval from the player or agent.

A simple restructure converts a player's guaranteed salary payments into prorated signing bonuses within the confines of the remainder of the contract – as opposed to extending the deal. In other words, a player doesn't wind up making any less money – in the long haul -- with a restructured deal.

It's a way to create immediate cap space, by kicking the can down the road. the bill still comes due, but you can create the cap space if you think your window has one more year left.

Danielle Hunter and Anthony Barr restructured last year.

The packer players will, too. I mean, it's restructure, and play with Rodgers and Adams......or don't restructure, and play with Jordan Love and whoever. They still get their money.

The packers will have no problem keeping them if they want. The salary cap means little in the NFL. You just play around with the numbers and push a little of it out into the future.

Last edited:

People are sure bent up about this, and for no reason. There is, and has always been, zero chance that Cousins plays this season under his current contract for the Vikings. Never, nada, zippo. For the life of me I can't figure out why people are so bent about this. Makes no sense. He's either getting traded or restructured, or both, and that has always been the case.

Depends on what he demands for a salary going forward, no team will trade for him without a new renegotiated contract agreed on. For all we know he could take that 45 million and ride off into the sunset in his 15 year old Suburban.

Depends on what he demands for a salary going forward, no team will trade for him without a new renegotiated contract agreed on. For all we know he could take that 45 million and ride off into the sunset in his 15 year old Suburban.
We will pay 10 million of it, and some teams will trade for him at 35 million.

It's not that hard, sir!

Nothing in there about their ex Gopher All Pro free agent linebacker. Guess he won't be missed.

We will pay 10 million of it, and some teams will trade for him at 35 million.

How much draft capital is a one year rental worth?

Cousins signs a new 3 year deal with Vikings for 108 million guaranteed. That's my prediction. $36 million per year.

Cousins signs a new 3 year deal with Vikings for 108 million guaranteed. That's my prediction. $36 million per year.
I think he signs here, but teams like Carolina have already put in a call. Their coaches lose their jobs this year without some wins.

If Rodgers and Russell stay, there will be some bidding for Cousins.

I think he signs here, but teams like Carolina have already put in a call. Their coaches lose their jobs this year without some wins.

If Rodgers and Russell stay, there will be some bidding for Cousins.

Rodgers is just working out how to bring Adams with him to his new destination. He shit the bed in their playoff run.

If not extension probably a 3rd round pick. But Cousins will sign an extension as long as they pay him what he thinks he's worth.

This is why I'm not sure why anyone would be getting all bent out of shape about anything that comes out anywhere at this time of year. This is the time of year for lying and misinformation and posturing. Most of what we've heard we can classify under "What else do you think they were going to say?" category.

Cousins camp says he's not taking a pay cut. What else did you think his agent was going to say, as they begin one of the last big contract negotiations of Cousins career? Cousins' representation has a responsibility to get as much money for Cousins as they can, of course the Cousins camp is going to volley that out there.

Vikings say they are all-in on Cousins moving forward. What else did you think they were going to say? They would most certainly reduce their bargaining position for any kind of trade if they said anything remotely related to the possibility of moving on without him. Of COURSE they are going to say they are all in on Cousins.

Just sit back and enjoy the ride and refrain from pulling out one's hair because someone in the Vikings front office or one of the players said something you don't agree with or gives cause for concern.

per Courtney Cronin on which player may need a change of scenery:

Minnesota Vikings

Defensive end Danielle Hunter

The Vikings have until March 20 to decide whether they're picking up Hunter's $18 million roster bonus that was added into his current deal last offseason. Minnesota reworked the defensive end's contract to set him up to earn a massive extension, but a pectoral tear last October limited Hunter to just seven games in two seasons after a neck injury forced him to miss all of 2020. No one knows Hunter's medicals and whether he'll be able to bounce back to being the player who became the fastest to notch 50 career sacks better than the Vikings. If they believe they can get a deal done with their star defensive end at a discounted cost due to those injuries, he'll be in purple going forward. But after two disappointing years and with his defensive line coach Andre Patterson now on the Giants, a trade or release would allow Hunter a much-needed fresh start, and the Vikings would save $14.64 million against the cap.

Skol Vikes!!

It's not that hard, sir!

There's a lot of restructuring in that plan.

With Hunter, I would suspect a lot depends on how the Vikes are planning to use him - providing that they are moving to a base 3-4 defense. and the fact that his mentor at DLine Coach is no longer with the team.

Hunter - when healthy - is a great player. But in the NFL, you have to balance talent vs availability vs salary.

Of the big-money guys on defense, Hunter is one who I could see being moved for the right compensation.

With Hunter, I would suspect a lot depends on how the Vikes are planning to use him - providing that they are moving to a base 3-4 defense. and the fact that his mentor at DLine Coach is no longer with the team.

Hunter - when healthy - is a great player. But in the NFL, you have to balance talent vs availability vs salary.

Of the big-money guys on defense, Hunter is one who I could see being moved for the right compensation.
Hunter and Barr are now essentially playing the same position. If they intend to bring Barr back, I don't see them keeping Hunter. You could, but that's a lot of $ to slink into that position.

Top Bottom