All Things 2022 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

Well then in that case, Denver better hurry up and give us a first rounder for Cousins.

IDGAF who starts next year, so long as they're cheap. Fine with Mond, quite frankly. Or sign Mannion, Teddy, or someone like that.
Mannion? God no. Mariota, Minshew or Teddy OK.

If Rodgers comes back, how can GB field a competitive team? His cap hit is nearly 47 million next season, which is higher than Cousins. Green Bay is currently 34 million farther over the cap than the Vikings, and that doesn't include Davonte Adams who is a free agent.

If Rodgers comes back, how can GB field a competitive team? His cap hit is nearly 47 million next season, which is higher than Cousins. Green Bay is currently 34 million farther over the cap than the Vikings, and that doesn't include Davonte Adams who is a free agent.
Yes, if Rodgers comes back GB can field a competitive team. He's the best player at the most important position. That's when you pay up.

They can't really. They'll have to let Adams go. Rogers is aging. They can probably win the division anyway, but good luck in the playoffs.

because their defense isn't an abomination like ours is.

They can't really. They'll have to let Adams go. Rogers is aging. They can probably win the division anyway, but good luck in the playoffs.
They will franchise tag Adams.

Yes, if Rodgers comes back GB can field a competitive team. He's the best player at the most important position. That's when you pay up.

He's also 39. Who's he going to throw to? They are 48 million over the cap. They are going to have to shed a ton of salary somewhere.

He's also 39. Who's he going to throw to? They are 48 million over the cap. They are going to have to shed a ton of salary somewhere.
There isn't an NFL GM who wouldn't take Rodgers' $47M cap hit in 2022 over Cousins' $45M cap hit next year. Even if you have to shed salary and even with the six year age difference.

There are a couple articles like this explaining how. Essentially, it boils down to a complete commitment to win now with the acknowledgment that you would put the team in an even worse cap situation in the future for a number of years. It would require a lot of restructuring and void years. Who knows if all the players necessary would be willing to negotiate?

There isn't an NFL GM who wouldn't take Rodgers' $47M cap hit in 2022 over Cousins' $45M cap hit next year. Even if you have to shed salary and even with the six year age difference.

I don't disagree with that, but that's not the point I'm making. The Vikings are in much better position to pay Cousins that amount and still have players around him, compared to Green Bay currently with Rodgers.

And Rodgers has been a great numbers QB, kinda like Cousins, but has a long history of not coming through in the playoffs. That's why he only has one Super Bowl win. He's better than Cousins, but he's not better than Brady, Mahomes, and even guys like Allen and Burrow are surpassing him. He needs players around him to win.

There are a couple articles like this explaining how. Essentially, it boils down to a complete commitment to win now with the acknowledgment that you would put the team in an even worse cap situation in the future for a number of years. It would require a lot of restructuring and void years. Who knows if all the players necessary would be willing to negotiate?

I think it all hinges on if Rodgers will actually sign an extension. Based off of his comments the last two years that seems unlikely, but maybe he has changed is mind. If he does, then they can likely afford Adams and some of the other moves mentioned. If he doesn't, then they'll likely have to trade him, Adams will likely walk, and they are in rebuild mode.

I think it all hinges on if Rodgers will actually sign an extension. Based off of his comments the last two years that seems unlikely, but maybe he has changed is mind. If he does, then they can likely afford Adams and some of the other moves mentioned. If he doesn't, then they'll likely have to trade him, Adams will likely walk, and they are in rebuild mode.
Agreed. I would have guessed after the drama last offseason that an extension would be unlikely, but it seems he and the front office may have smoothed things out to the point it seems he is more likely to return than not. If he does, I assume the Packers will try to retain as much talent as they can and continue to kick the cap hits down the road. More importantly, it could impact what the Vikings plan to do in the short/long term.

Agreed. I would have guessed after the drama last offseason that an extension would be unlikely, but it seems he and the front office may have smoothed things out to the point it seems he is more likely to return than not. If he does, I assume the Packers will try to retain as much talent as they can and continue to kick the cap hits down the road. More importantly, it could impact what the Vikings plan to do in the short/long term.
I hope the Pack goes all in for 2022 and the Vikings trade Cousins and reset. 2023-2025 will be ripe for the Vikings to control the division.

Mannion? God no. Mariota, Minshew or Teddy OK.
Why do you want to win more games??

See my post about how 6-11 and 3-14 are equal failures. :) Give me the higher draft pick. Maybe we get Hunter's replacement out of it or a new franchise interior OL.

I suppose Teddy is the best possible option: hometown favorite returning home, wouldn't be expensive, and would still "look" (somewhat) like we weren't trying to lose games.

Last edited:

Super Bowl now or potentially a lot longer than now if Love doesn't pay off.

Rodgers was on the bench three years under Favre. So even if they drafted the next QB in 2022, Rodgers would need to stay three more years to get the equivalent understudy training.

Yep, because Denver will have to move on from Rodgers and go get Cousins now.

Aw shucks

South park’s wiener game of thrones song.. Rodgers Rodgers Rodgers Rodgers Rodgers Rodgers Rodgers Rodgers.

That puts them about $60 million over the cap. Good luck with that
They will push some of Rodgers pay into the far future.

They will let Preston Smith and Zadarius Smith go.

They will play with the numbers like all teams do. It won't be that hard.

They will push some of Rodgers pay into the far future.

They will let Preston Smith and Zadarius Smith go.

They will play with the numbers like all teams do. It won't be that hard.
Who says he will agree to a contract with multiple fake void years? Why should he? They can do an extension and get his cap # down to $35 million or so, but that's it. He's not going to agree to some BS contract that locks him up through 2026 or anything like that.

They can run it back certainly. They will be very hard-pressed to bring both Rodgers and Adams back. If they do, they won't be able to upgrade much of anything and will downgrade in some spots. Can they still win the Super Bowl? Maybe. It is likely? No.

Last edited:

They would probably need to swap first rounders as part of the deal to make it work. They have nothing between pick 6 overall and a 4th rounder. Unless they're throwing out 2023 picks or current players on their roster.

View attachment 17096
I'll take a 2023 first rounder for Cousins.

Two in the 23 first round will position us nicely for the rebuild. :)

I'll take a 2023 first rounder for Cousins.

Two in the 23 first round will position us nicely for the rebuild. :)
A 2023 pick might be preferred. Easier to trade up for their QB of choice. Trade Hunter to the Giants for the 2022 1st round pick.

Top Bottom