All Things 2022 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

He can only read headlines
Tiny ticket 🎟 = tiny 🧠
“We did, we touched Kenny’s contract, and there will be many more that we touch along the way,” Gutekunst said Wednesday. “A lot of it will be as we go, and what we need when we need it, so to speak.”

No need to respond Gopher in NYC. Or better yet, just pretend you never came back to this thread.

Last edited:

With Hunter, I would suspect a lot depends on how the Vikes are planning to use him - providing that they are moving to a base 3-4 defense. and the fact that his mentor at DLine Coach is no longer with the team.

Hunter - when healthy - is a great player. But in the NFL, you have to balance talent vs availability vs salary.

Of the big-money guys on defense, Hunter is one who I could see being moved for the right compensation.
Unfortunately, moving Hunter at any time this offseason would be the epitome of SELLING LOW. Horrible time to move a major piece like Hunter, the worst.

“We did, we touched Kenny’s contract, and there will be many more that we touch along the way,” Gutekunst said Wednesday. “A lot of it will be as we go, and what we need when we need it, so to speak.”

No need to respond Gopher in NYC. Or better yet, just pretend you never came back to this thread.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day, my Sweet Tiny ticket 🎟

Unfortunately, moving Hunter at any time this offseason would be the epitome of SELLING LOW. Horrible time to move a major piece like Hunter, the worst.
Once we're for sure able to offload Cousins, then we can afford to keep Hunter and see how the transition will go to 3-4 OLB. Maybe he was born to play that position. We know he can rush the passer and play the reach block fine. Not sure how often LOS backers in 3-4 schemes have to go out in coverage, but he's a tall freak athlete that I feel like could cover TE's and/or RB's very well. Even the occasional larger slot receiver.

Once we're for sure able to offload Cousins, then we can afford to keep Hunter and see how the transition will go to 3-4 OLB. Maybe he was born to play that position. We know he can rush the passer and play the reach block fine. Not sure how often LOS backers in 3-4 schemes have to go out in coverage, but he's a tall freak athlete that I feel like could cover TE's and/or RB's very well. Even the occasional larger slot receiver.
8939C4F8-8B63-4BB8-AFDC-FE65FC2D7A28.jpeg
Looks like they are confident he can play both positions as needed. They definitely seem like they will run a hybrid rather than a true 3-4.

What does the NFL scout expert Meatsauce have to say about this? He appears to not watch any college football but come draft time —- look out.

Of course they're going to restructure and create cap space. That's a given regardless the fate of Rodgers/Adams.
Thanks man, I never would have had a clue on that.

By the way, they just restructured Aaron Jones

Just watched the 30 for 30 on the 90 - 93 Buffalo Bills.

I hope they don't do one for the Vikings' SB woes. It's not as dramatic since it's not 4 consecutive losses. But I know I would watch it out of allegiance and morbid curiosity. And then I would be sad.

A few weeks ago PA said that Harbaugh was wrapped up as the vikes HC. What happened and how is PA not in the loop?

A few weeks ago PA said that Harbaugh was wrapped up as the vikes HC. What happened and how is PA not in the loop?

Apparently, PA is now claiming that Cousins was lobbying behind the scenes for O'Connell to be the new coach, so that "means" that Cousins is going to get a contract extension.

R. Spielman being humble in the PA show. Hmmmm., he had years to be this guy butttttttt….

per Shama:

The NFL Scouting Combine going on this week in Indianapolis is one of many steps new Vikings GM Kwesi Odofo-Mensah must navigate preparing for his first NFL Draft April 28-30. Mensah reportedly has a four-year contract in his first opportunity to be an NFL general manager and the clock is already ticking.

Initially, Mensah and his staff of talent evaluators will be granted some leeway in trying to lift the Vikings out of mediocrity. But four years go quickly and things will get off to a rocky start if the franchise doesn’t select a first round standout in late April.

The Vikings select at No. 12 and that’s 20 spots ahead of other NFL teams. Picking at that spot isn’t a lock but Jeff Diamond believes Minnesota should be able to land a potential Pro Bowler.

Diamond is the former Vikings GM who was NFL Executive of the Year in 1998 after Minnesota finished the regular season 15-1. What is his advice for a new NFL general manager going into the draft? “Don’t go against your board,” he told Sports Headliners.

Draft board is a catchphrase for the data and information a team has accumulated and evaluated in the months leading up to the seven-round draft. Diamond’s belief is don’t draft for position need, especially in the first round, at the expense of passing up on the best player available. The exception, Diamond added, can be selecting a quarterback instead.

Skol Vikes!!

WTF Shama?
I read that part a couple times and still don't understand what he was trying to say! :banghead:
The Vikings select at No. 12 and that's 19 spots ahead of other teams would have been much clearer or maybe say they pick at No. 12 which is behind 11 other teams. :p

ESPN: Predicting all 32 NFL teams' starting quarterback for Week 1 in 2022

Minnesota Vikings

Projected 2022 starter: Kirk Cousins

If Minnesota decides it is time to retool the franchise, step one would likely be to add draft capital by trading away Cousins. He has a $35 million fully-guaranteed salary for 2022 -- the final year of his deal -- meaning he has a ton of leverage if Minnesota tries to negotiate an extension (if he doesn't get the offer he wants, he can get his money this season and hit the open market next March).

I've got my eye on this one, but a rerun with Cousins still feels most likely.

Skol Vikes!!

At best, with Cousins staying the 2022 Vikings will be as competitive as the 21 Vikings.

Why would Cousins throw away another one of his precious few prime years, by doing that?

Doesn't he want a chance to win big?

At best, with Cousins staying the 2022 Vikings will be as competitive as the 21 Vikings.

Why would Cousins throw away another one of his precious few prime years, by doing that?

Doesn't he want a chance to win big?

that is the real question. What is most important to Cousins? Winning, or getting the biggest possible contract?

Other QB's agree to renegotiate their contracts to help the team with cap space, so that the team can add other players and improve the roster. It's been reported that Cousins' agent has said that Cousins will not take less money, and in fact, wants to be paid more because the salary cap is expected to go up in future years.

So, it seems that his attitude is "I want mine," not "let me help make the team better."

If I was a veteran like Thielen who has renegotiated his contract in the past to help the team, I would be p*ssed at a guy like Cousins who won't do the same thing.

From today's report from the Athletic: Cousins owns all the cards. He knows the ownership doesn't want to rebuild, so they'll want his services, but he won't take a pay cut. Also, he could preemptively refuse to negotiate an extension with any trade partner, making him unattractive to another team and essentially un-tradeable. The Vikings are stuck.

Cousins is within his rights to maximize his earnings. He was also within his rights to refuse vaccination. At what point, though, does any employer in any industry want their employee to be more of a team player? It'll be impossible to add needed talent to the defense with Cousins at this salary, rendering the whole idea of winning now an impossibility, making holding on to Kirk unnecessary. It's circular.

In my mind, the course is clear: extend him and then trade him. Be in coordination with trade partners as you're working on the extension.

Last edited:

Doesn't want to rebuild? :rolleyes:

F sake.

Even with every single player back from last year, and with Hunter healthy .... so what? Probably still can't beat Rodgers & Adams for the division. Leak into the playoffs and not even go to the conf championship game.

Whoopity F'ing doo.

Cousins leaves and we have no shot at drafting any kind of franchise game-changing QB.

Stupid

that is the real question. What is most important to Cousins? Winning, or getting the biggest possible contract?

Other QB's agree to renegotiate their contracts to help the team with cap space, so that the team can add other players and improve the roster. It's been reported that Cousins' agent has said that Cousins will not take less money, and in fact, wants to be paid more because the salary cap is expected to go up in future years.

So, it seems that his attitude is "I want mine," not "let me help make the team better."

If I was a veteran like Thielen who has renegotiated his contract in the past to help the team, I would be p*ssed at a guy like Cousins who won't do the same thing.
First of all, you have to understand that everything being said right now is for the sake of negotiation purposes, on both sides. Cousins' agent is doing exactly what he's paid to do, I don't get all the hand-wringing and angst among fans who think Cousins is some greedy selfish gold digger. This is happening all across the league right now, every team, every player.

Y'all need to chill out, let this play out. Cousins is going to sign an extension, and it's going to be for less; less than the $45M he's currently scheduled to get paid for next year. It'll be in the $37-$38M/yr range.

Why in the world should he take less than he's worth? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Do people really think the difference between the Vikings winning and losing next year will hinge heavily on whether he signs for $35M or for $37M?

Since Cousins arrived in MSP, the Vikings offense has gotten a lot better, and the defense has gotten a lot worse. Plain and simple. So he should take a pay cut? Idiotic

Last edited:

Cousins cap hit was $25M in 2020 and $31M in 2021. Because his base was $9.5M and $21M, instead of the ballooned $35M for 2022.

Until he proves that he himself can actually elevate an offense, he deserves no more than the $21M base (and total cap hit).

Not a damn cent more.

$37-38M???? F no. See ya. Not like you were ever a special player in purple. Good to great at times, sure, but not special.

Top Bottom