All Things 2022 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

I don't know what to think about this
It'll either be a spectacular failure or a spectacular success. Either way it will be entertaining.

I'm still skeptical it happens. His Michigan buyout is like $16 million unless they are willing to negotiate it down.

I'm pretty sure Luck is never playing football again

iu

If they hire Harbaugh it will be a huge mistake.
There's certainly an amount of distraction that could likely come with it but the man has won everywhere he's been, and that's including a few places that are difficult to win. Depending on the circumstances, who the staff is, what he does with the QB situation, I could be totally on board with Jimmy.

He tends to wear out his welcome after 4-5 years most stops. Look at it this way; wouldn't it be worth the sideshow to be relevant and a winning franchise for 4-5 years if he was in MN?

I'd say it's unlikely, but at this point who the hell knows? I always figured he would only take the Raiders gig if offered but I heard someone recently say (albeit somewhat sarcastically) that he would take ANY NFL job that was offered.

If we would get Harbaugh, I think we would be the favorites to get Vic Fangio as DC assuming he doesn't get the Jags head coaching gig.

It'll either be a spectacular failure or a spectacular success. Either way it will be entertaining.

I'm still skeptical it happens. His Michigan buyout is like $16 million unless they are willing to negotiate it down.

Ah you are way off

No. John's one of the best coaches in the NFL. Jim was very good in SF. But there's a chance it blows up spectacularly too.
My point is that it could end up like John with the Ravens, which you just said is not a spectacular success.

Don't get me wrong, we'd take it.

So I would simply say that I think his ceiling here is similar to John's in Baltimore, while failure is on the table as well. I don't see why it would be an either or with doing much better than John.

Last edited:

Why did Jim leave a fairly good thing with the 9ers? I know his last season was only 8-8, but they really went into the crapper after he left until they Shanahan got things turned around.

EDIT: from his Wiki page,
It has been suggested that Harbaugh, despite his success on the field, was involved in a power struggle with 49ers general manager Trent Baalke starting from the 2013 season onward.[133][134] On December 28, 2014, the 49ers announced that they had mutually agreed to part ways with Harbaugh as their head coach.[135] York claims Harbaugh and the 49ers agreed to mutually part ways immediately after a win over the Arizona Cardinals in the final week of the regular season.[136] Harbaugh, however, later said: "I didn't leave the 49ers. I felt like the 49er hierarchy left me."[137] He further added that the 49ers informed him that he would no longer be the 49ers coach after suffering a loss on December 14, but that he decided to remain as the team's head coach for the final two games of the season because "I wanted to finish what I started—what we started."[138]

Hmmm, could be a red flag?

Last edited:

Patrick Graham interviewed, and would be an interesting candidate. But STrib makes it sound like he also might stay put with Daboll.

Graham, who also holds the title of assistant head coach with the Giants, joined Joe Judge's staff in 2020. Judge was fired Jan. 11 and replaced Friday by Bills offensive coordinator Brian Daboll, leaving Graham's future uncertain. Daboll and Graham overlapped on Bill Belichick's Patriots staff from 2013 to 2015.

Graham, 43, spent seven years with the Patriots, beginning in 2009, and had his first stint with the Giants as defensive line coach under Ben McAdoo from 2016-17. Graham was the linebackers coach for the Packers in 2018 and the Dolphins' defensive coordinator under Brian Flores in 2019 before rejoining the Giants staff.

Though the Giants have struggled the past two seasons, Graham is a widely respected coach, having earned nicknames like "Black Picasso" and "The Computer," according to a 2021 profile in Sports Illustrated. Graham, who was a defensive lineman at Yale, is believed to have a strong relationship with Adofo-Mensah.

Last edited:

There's certainly an amount of distraction that could likely come with it but the man has won everywhere he's been, and that's including a few places that are difficult to win. Depending on the circumstances, who the staff is, what he does with the QB situation, I could be totally on board with Jimmy.

He tends to wear out his welcome after 4-5 years most stops. Look at it this way; wouldn't it be worth the sideshow to be relevant and a winning franchise for 4-5 years if he was in MN?

I'd say it's unlikely, but at this point who the hell knows? I always figured he would only take the Raiders gig if offered but I heard someone recently say (albeit somewhat sarcastically) that he would take ANY NFL job that was offered.
Until this year Harbaugh's record at Michigan hasn't been that great by Michigan standards. His job security was so shaky that he took a base pay cut last year.

Also, Harbaugh has to be in his mid fifties. Is his health good? He took a beating as a player.

It has been suggested that Harbaugh, despite his success on the field, was involved in a power struggle with 49ers general manager Trent Baalke starting from the 2013 season onward.[133][134] On December 28, 2014, the 49ers announced that they had mutually agreed to part ways with Harbaugh as their head coach.[135] York claims Harbaugh and the 49ers agreed to mutually part ways immediately after a win over the Arizona Cardinals in the final week of the regular season.[136] Harbaugh, however, later said: "I didn't leave the 49ers. I felt like the 49er hierarchy left me."[137] He further added that the 49ers informed him that he would no longer be the 49ers coach after suffering a loss on December 14, but that he decided to remain as the team's head coach for the final two games of the season because "I wanted to finish what I started—what we started."[138]

Hmmm, could be a red flag?
I had thought so in the past, but it seems Harbaugh is not alone in having issues with Baalke. Baalke is the GM of the Jaguars now and they are in the market for a new head coach. Their preferred candidate, Byron Leftwhich, refused to take the job unless the Jaguars fired Baalke and appointed a new GM. Seems to be an indicator that Baalke is indeed hard to work with, not to mention he is very unpopular with Jaguar fans.

Last edited:

My point is that it could end up like John with the Ravens, which you just said is not a spectacular success.

Don't get me wrong, we'd take it.

So I would simply say that I think his ceiling here is similar to John's in Baltimore, while failure is on the table as well. I don't see why it would be an either or with doing much better than John.
John is a better coach and certainly far less intense. Hence he's been in one place for 14 years. But I'll take a 5 year run with Jim if it's as successful as SF was.

I had thought so in the past, but it seems Harbaugh is not alone in having issues with Baalke. Baalke is the GM of the Jaguars now and they are in the market for a new head coach. Their preferred candidate, Byron Leftwhich, refused to take the job unless the Jaguars fired Baalke and appointed a new GM. Seems to be an indicator that Baalke is indeed hard to work with, not to mention he is very unpopular with Jaguar fans.
100%. Baalke seems to be absolutely toxic, and many reports have Harbaugh's rep not being accurate, he's actually a very collaborative and inclusive kind of players coach.

Raiders hiring Josh McDaniels. Lol. Match made in heaven. Good luck with that.

Top Bottom